last night.

by Janetha on January 2, 2011

in meals

sorry for the weak title. i haven’t had any coffee yet today so i am not very witty.

as i mentioned, we went out for indian food and the jazz game last night. i hadn’t been to either for so long, so i was real excited.

one of my favorite indian spots in the SLC is himalayan kitchen. it is on the corner of exchange place and state, right downtown.

marshall ordered a mango lassi (a blended drink with yogurt and mangoes) and i couldn’t help but take a few swigs.. it was so thick and delicious. (TWSS)

although the menu is the size of a book, i already knew that i wanted the chicken tikka masala, which is my favorite indian main dish.

IMG_5252IMG_5260

marshall had the daal maharani (lentils cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices) which i stole a few bites of.

don’t forget the rice and naan.. maybe i like indian food so much because there are so many carbs involved Winking smile

IMG_5259IMG_5257

i was a member of the clean plate club last night.

after filling our bellies, we made our way to the jazz game. it was fourteen degrees outside so we tried to find a semi-close parking spot.. which was kind of a fail. i decided that i am really glad i have a house. being homeless in utah in the winter would be the worst thing ever. being a dog with a mean owner in utah in the winter would also be the worst thing ever. i feel bad for the pups who are forced to be outside year round in the sub freezing temps.

anyway, back to to game. we played the memphis girzzlies. it was neck and neck right up until the end, but we won!

which brings me to my new project.

a few months ago, i decided that i want to join the photo 365 movement and post a photo for every day of 2011. i started up a new blog and, as of yesterday, i have started posting!

the address is http://janetha.wordpress.com (original, i know) and the blog name is “things i see.”

feel free to follow along with my photo-a-day project!

another thing i am doing from now on is posting the daily food holiday on my sidebar to the right. just under the subscribe link.. check it out! today is national cream puff day. i will try my best to keep it updated so you can all be in the know.

well, i have a LOT of housework to do today.. we bought a fancy new TV yesterday and marshall is glued to it watching football, so i should be able to get a lot done.  item of business #1 would be coffee, and then item of business #2 is taking down the christmas tree. wish me luck!

enjoy your sundays.

2. do you like indian food?

lindsay January 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm

oh great project! Can’t wait to see all the daily pics. After you clean your house, feel free to come over and do mine. I’ll make coffee!
;)

Salah January 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I LOVE Indian food!!! Its one of my favorites :-)…If I took a photo yesterday it would have been of my family since thats what yesterday was all about for me!!

kristastes January 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I love Indian food…but I rarely get to my favorite Indian restaurant! Photo a day = awesome! If I could have captured my pup and her bff going apesh*t over this new weiner dog toy (and destuffing the entire thing), I would have put that up! I think you can appreciate that dog pics never get old for some of us :)

kristastes January 2, 2011 at 12:47 pm

*wiener haha I haven’t had my coffee yet, either

Erica D @ Gratitouille January 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I would probably post a picture of a chocolate-covered cherry; those were my main source of food yesterday. National hangover day, right? I was just lazy ;)

And I love Indian food! I had a coconut lassi recently and though I think I like the mango more, it was definitely delicious. I love to get the vegetable korma, with cashews and raisins in it!!

Erica January 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm

What a fun night :) I have only had Indian food once. Someone guided me WRONG and I haven’t gotten the nerve up to try it again since. Hooray for the win! And I think the new blog idea is very cool. I’m going to check it out now. You got a new tv?! Josh and I don’t really buy each other gifts for Christmas- we usually just decide on something we want and get it together. Probably about 5 years ago that was a big screen tv. We had like no furniture, but we had an awesome tv ;)

1. if you had to take ONE photo for yesterday, the first day of 2011, and post it.. what would it have been of? Probably a very SC photo of a palm tree. I would have taken it while walking yesterday with my Aunt

2. do you like indian food? see above ;)

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 2, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Andy and I tried to go out to Indian last night with friends but sadly they were closed! Most places in our hood closed for the holiday. :(

Love the 365 picture idea! A few of my friends are in a group on flickr that does that. At the end of the year, they make a big collage.

Yesterday, I took a picture of my chicken panang. A thai dish that I love. If you like tikka masala, you’d probably like panang curry! SO good!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 2, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I have to admit, so often I read that as two BOOBS who eat, and it makes me laugh every time. :)

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 2, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I LOVE Indian food! Mainly for the naan ;)

Erika January 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I would have taken a photo of my family at our annual New Year’s brunch. We’ve been going to the same place for 10 years. :]
I’m going to check out the new blog right now…

Christin@purplebirdblog January 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I LOVE your new blog idea! You’re brilliant girl! And yes, I love Indian food, practically the most. Sushi trumps it, but not by much.

thedelicateplace January 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm

1. i did the photo a day project in 2003 but let me tell you it is freaking hard. i confess i did miss a couple days in there. my best advice is to keep your camera in your purse. at all. times. my photo of new years day would be us sitting at an irish gastropub watching middle aged people dance drunk while we enjoyed our meals/drinks ;p
2, ahh nate’s fave drink is the mango lassi! the best part about indian food is that it’s so good for digestion. i was there for a month a few years ago and let me tell you my stomach/digestion were primo (tmi?) haha. the food is so flavorful and delish! the only thing i couldn’t really get in on were the indian sweets. they are not playing around, it’s like sickeningly sweet (read: spoon of sugar into mouth rinse, repeat).

TheNewHealthy January 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Sounds like we had similar nights! I went to the Chicago Bulls game and ate out at Grand Lux Cafe!

I love Indian food–especially when it comes buffet style! :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black January 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm

It’ll be so fun to look back in 2012 at 2011! Great idea. I didn’t take pics yesterday, but it would be of me being productive?! Haha. I dislike indian food… ohhhh, the smell! :(

Marisa @ Loser for Life January 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I’m starting to love Indian food! Especially the NAAN!!!

eliza January 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm

i LOVE Indian food so so much, but no one I am close with likes it :(

Di January 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I’m doing the same thing — the 365 photos thing — except I’m just posting on my blog. I think it’s a great idea and I can’t wait to see what you take pictures of! I took a picture of a Bloody Mary (perfect hangover cure for my best friend) but I’m not sure what I would’ve taken if I had really been thinking about it before this morning. :)

I think I would like Indian food, but due to an experience back in 2006 I haven’t been able to bring myself to going to a restaurant. The smell of curry makes me a little nauseous. :(

simplyshaka January 2, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I really like that project idea, very cool. If I had one pic from yesterday, I think it would’ve been of my kettlebell. One of my resolutions is to incorporate it more into my workouts and I had a killer workout yesterday that was just what I needed my first workout of the year to be.

And now I have the Strokes “Last Night” in my head! Good thing they are one of my favorite bands ;)

Camille @ La Bella Vita January 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Happy New Year! I think that your new project is a fantastic idea. I definitely do not take enough photos on a day to day basis.

actorsdiet January 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm

there is nothing about indian food i don’t love!

lowandbhold January 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

That Indian food looks fantastic!

Hmmm I took down my Christmas tree yesterday and that was the only picture I took. So I guess that. How lame!

edenseats January 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm

O janetha, that photo thing is brilliant! Its so cool we have the technology to do these sorts of things at ease these days! It’ll be preserved forever and your great great grandkids would be able to see them! I might just jump on that photo bandwagon!
Its kind of sad that all the christmas stuff is being taken down. But I know some people that keep it until the chinese new year!
Have a good sunday!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I LOVE the 365 idea, I actually toyed with doing one myself! Maybe one day :)

I also love Indian food… any sort of dal or chana masala is my fave. I love me some beans :)

xo

Heather January 2, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I must be in the minority. I don’t like Indian food at all. :(
Yesterday I took a pic of the aftermath our basement suffered from my sons NYEs party. Disaster area!! :)

Rose January 2, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I did take a picture yesterday, of me, my husband, and our three best friends, waiting for breakfast. It captured what I want out of 2011: spending time with my favorite people, and lots of delicious breakfasts.

paijery January 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Indian food and I are one!! I love paneer. So much.
First pic of 2011 was of my pups! :)

julie January 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

get your coffee!!! that was totally me yesterday i was like zombienation until about 2pm when i realized i hadn’t had an ounce of caffiene yet. i’m fine with it but the people who got my wrath werent haha

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm

i posted like 25 pics yesterday with my brand new dslr! loving it!!!

i love the 365 idea! and your new blog..wow. impressive!

and that mango lassi. i would have sucked that thing down in 2 secs flat, yogurt/dairy intolerance and all! haha!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

happy new year lady!!! xoxoxoxox

Lindsey January 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I loveeee Indian food!! My Dad loves to cook Indian food and taught me the basics a few years ago. My favorite dish is any variation of curry chicken and basmati rice (of course). :) Happy New Year!

kissmybroccoli January 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I’ve only had Indian food once that I made myself. I went easy on the spices since I’m a bit of a pansy. It tasted great, but I would like to try a nice restaurant before I form an opinion. I do love naan though!

My photo of the day for yesterday would be one that I actually took of my dinner with traditional “lucky” foods! Black-eyed peas and greens!

I can’t wait to see your pics this year! What a great idea!

MelissaNibbles January 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I love naan bread, but Indian food is too spicy for me. It always looks delicious though.
The game sounds like it was a blast! If I took one picture yesterday it would’ve been of the chicken sausage, mushroom, cherry tomato pasta I made. YUM!

snackgirlgoeshealthy January 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

If you like Indian food you should try Persian!! Its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! proof: http://snackgirlgoeshealthy.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/persian-food-3/

Looks like good food. Especially your chiken dish, I’d go for that! ;)

Don’t you just love the word swig? haha it just makes me laugh

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Indian food is the best…and I love that so much of it is vegetarian!! How can you not love a cuisine that includes naan?

A picture for yesterday would have been of my slippers and the TV. I did nothing and it was awesome.

katecooks January 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm

your indian food looks so good! i love it, especially any of the dishes with eggplant. you’re right though, the naan makes the meal. not sure if it would even be 1/2 as good without all those carbs!!! kind of why i love italian restaurants so much. bread baskets AND pasta :)

inmytummy January 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I love the idea of the 365 project. I might try that out for myself.

I also love Indian food.

1970kikiproject January 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm

i did the photo-a-day project about 4-5 years ago, and it’s a lot of fun! when i did it, i wasn’t into blogging or even digi cameras…i used disposable cameras and now have a photo album for the year. pretty old school! you’ll get used to remembering to take a photo each day!
glad you enjoyed the first day of 1.1.11!!!

Katy January 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I tried to do the 365 photo challenge on my FB last year… I lasted only a few months. ;P

However, this year I am trying to post a new Operation Beautiful note every day! :)

Pure2raw twins January 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Very cool about your photo blog project!! We will check it out!

Love Indian spices and food!!

Laura (starloz) January 2, 2011 at 7:02 pm

oh j, you copy cat you. i had indian a few nights back – http://starloz.com/2011/01/01/omg-faheem-omg

i’m going to borrow your photo project idea – http://starloz.com/photo-a-day-2011

happy new year sweetheart

BroccoliHut January 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Shockingly, I have never had a mango lassi, despite my years-long infatuation with blended drinks. Guess I need to add it to my list!
Picture from this weekend? Seth with a bib, licking his lasagna plate (it’s up on my blog!).

Ezzie January 2, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Loovee Indian food! mmm curry~ :)

Krystina (Basil & Wine) January 2, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I luuuuuuuurve Indian food. <3 Give me a heaping pile of baingan bharta and a huge piece of fluffy roti and I'm a happy girl.

Amanda January 2, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I love indian food too and tikka masala is also my fave :). sounds like a great nite out!

This Healthy Life January 3, 2011 at 5:39 am

i die! that food makes my mouth water and it’s 6:30 in the morning! yumm. must hit up my favorite indian spot this week!

Emily M January 5, 2011 at 9:22 am

i know how you love numbers, so i hadta tell you
at 11:11am on 1-1-11 i found a wheatback penny (1¢) on the ground
i’ve been keeping it in my pocket ever since. it’s gunna be a great year :)
kudos on your new nye tradition!