1.1.11

by Janetha on January 1, 2011

in meals

if there is one thing i love it is a palindrome. i am elated that the date just so happens to be one. i am halfway tempted to have this post publish at 11:11.. yeah, i probably will. i am a goon like that.

how was your ringing in of the new year?! hope you all had tons of fun. i had a pretty mellow time, but i wouldn’t have it any other way.

we went to kristen’s mom’s house for food and fun. it was actually kind of nice to have a whole bunch of delicious food at my fingertips without having to lift a finger to make any of it. thanks, kristen!

spinach artichoke dip with cracked wheat baguette~

IMG_5185IMG_5187

veggies & hummus~

wings~

shrimp~

delicious mexican crock pot chicken that i wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla~

and white wine~

we started things off with a game marshall bought me a YEAR ago and we had never played.

dicecapades! ever heard of it?

marshall diligently read the directions to all of us.

and then it was time to play! basically, there area bout thirteen hundred types of dice and you use them to complete challenges to move ahead. turns out, it was way fun!

IMG_5199IMG_5200IMG_5202IMG_5203IMG_5205IMG_5206IMG_5209IMG_5210IMG_5196IMG_5211

turns out, it was also a very LONG game. after a couple hours it was finally over and we retired to the basement for darts and shuffleboard. kristen’s mom’s house is super fun!

IMG_5212IMG_5214

super serious.

IMG_5215IMG_5216

i LOVE their dog, maggie, she is a little sweetie. you may remember meeting her.

IMG_5218IMG_5220

before we knew it, it was about 3 minutes to midnight!

ready for the new year.

after the ball dropped, kristen popped some champagne.

marshall doesn’t drink, ever, at all, so he was pretty skeptical, but he did have a little for tradition sake.

IMG_5232IMG_5228

cheers to the new year!

turns out, we are old. we were home before 2 AM and asleep shortly after that.

i have a feeling my new years ringing innage is going to be this mellow style for years to come. i liked it. a lot.

i woke up and whipped up some new years breakfast for marshall and i. it is the first saturday in a LONG time that i have had him home and i am so excited to be lazy with him. he worked every saturday in november and december! (well, beside christmas, but that wasn’t exactly a lazy day.)

File0146

egg & spinach sandwich on wheat with laughing cow cheese. and a steamy owl mug of coffee.

File0149

i kind of forgot how much i love savory breakfasts because i have been eating yogurt +granola every day lately!

File0150

coffee is just better out of mugs shaped like an owl. it’s been proven, didn’t you know?

File0153

i am off to lounge around with marshall and possibly buy a TV later.. some pixels are going out on ours and it’s all my poor husband can think about. we are going to get indian food and then to the jazz game tonight, can’t wait.

i will be back tomorrow with a full recap and to tell you about a fun little project i am doing.

have a great day!

File0152

Liz @ Blog is the New Black January 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I heart that owl mug!!! It’s so cute. I recently just made my own version of s&a dip and I’m in lurrrve! I can’t believe what I was missing out on- except I wold never have been able to put anything with cream cheese or mayo to my lips, so not really. I was asleep at 11:45- so your night was a bit more wild than mine. Happy near year!

Jessiker January 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Wow food looks delish. You and Kristen look gorgeous! I’m sad I missed out, looks like fun. I LOVE YOUR OWL MUG. Oh yeah, I have a present for you. Really has nothing to do with Owls.

thedelicateplace January 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

ha i was in bed at 1am. we totally like it that way. we’re going out tonight for dinner and drinks (hopefully the crazy people are too hungover and will stay away) ;) i’m so happy i don’t have to nurse a hangover today it takes me days to recover! eeps.

Erica January 1, 2011 at 1:10 pm

GREAT pics! Looks like you guys had so much fun. That spinach dip looks so yum. We had a very low key night too- was fabulous. I really could barely keep my eyes open until 12 hahaha. Enjoy the rest of your day <3

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 1, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love game nights. I’ve never heard of that game before though.

Looks like a great way to spend the holiday. Andy and I were super lazy and just lounged around but we managed to stay up past midnight.

Seriously that owl mug. LOVE IT!!!!!!

Happy New Year Janetha!

Matt January 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Happy new year! The mellow parties are the best ;)

Heather January 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

That breakfast looks great – I may steal that idea for tomorrow! I love that I get to sleep in 2 days in a row. :)
Happy New Years Day, hon!

Jess January 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I am so with you on the mellow party thing! I love just getting together with friends, it always seems to be the most fun time!

Happy New Year to you!

Allison @ Food For Healing January 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Happy New Year, looks like you had a fabulous night, that was about the same as mine, just had 2 friends over, games and food, it was a great time.

katecooks January 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Happy new year! I’m loving your mellow night. Mine started that way, then turned into a very late night dance party with friends. We definitely didn’t have your spread of food though. Everything looks so good, especially that spinach artichoke dip!

purplebirdblog January 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Happy new year, sweetface! I took my owl wallet with me last night and thought of you. I drank Shirley Temples last night and I think our waitress thought I was an idiot! ;)

coffeeandthepaper January 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Happy New Year Janetha! You rang it in just right. Board games are the applesauce. Love ’em!

Can’t wait to hear about your little project!

lindsay January 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I like to ring in the new year with people I love. Games, food, and mellow times are PERFECT! We barely made it to midnight. Sleep is just too good these days!
Cheers to having your hubs home!
LC

Runeatrepeat January 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Your friends look like a lot of fun! Happy New Year!

Rose January 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Dicecapades looks like so much fun! Does it really make you do push ups and sit ups?

janetha @ meals & moves January 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Haha yep!

Faith January 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I’m such a dork, I love board games. One of these days I’ll grow up…nah. Battle of the Sexes is worth staying a kid for! Glad you had a great NYE and hopefully an even better year is in store!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm

glad you guys had a fairly low key night and can see future years being similar :)

i know you love numbers so not surprised that 1-1-11 is just music to your palindrome ears :)

And I dont know if you watch any Kendra or when she and the girls lived in the mansion, anyway, she had a pimp cup. That’s what she called it. That cup, in the best possible way, reminds me of her pimp cup. I want it!!! It’s beautiful and I hope you know I’d steal it from you if i could :) Or Kristen if it’s hers!

Happy 2011 hon!!

Jen January 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Happy 2011!!! I hope it’s one amazing year for you :)

Jen

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover January 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I can see you guys had a BLAST on NYE!
Hope you’re having a great January 1st, too ;)
Happy New Year, Janetha!
xoxo

thetwentyfifthyear January 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I had a very lowkey NYE, too – first one in eight years I didn’t have a drop of alcohol. I got a solid six last night and feel like a million bucks today. You can’t beat that.

Love the last shot – and very excited for the project :)

Salah January 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Happy New YEar!!! Looks like you had a wonderful time!!!

kbwood January 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

HEY mama!
happy new year!!!!
i LOVE your dinner parties- i want to come!

Tamizn January 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Happy New Year Pretty Lady!!!!!!!! x x

julie January 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm

between the cooking with paula dean and her egg breakfast this morning and your egg sammie i’m officially sad i didn’t have eggs yet today. it’s a dang good thing dinner didn’t happen yet ;)

can i tell you i didn’t even realize the date until you posted this! so fun :)

snackgirlgoeshealthy January 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Savory breakfast of your looks awesome!
That dinner party looks like so much fun! and the food looks yummo! I love spinach and cheesy type dips. Its daa best!
Happy New Year Janetha! :)

nic - the auspicious squirrel January 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Last night or this morning depending on how you look at it… I looked at the clock and it was 2:22 am (my favorite series of numbers) on 1-1-11… too cool. ;)

MelissaNibbles January 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Looks like a fun night! The bread looks incredible! I’ve never heard of that boardgame. I wanna play!!

marisa January 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Cute vase! ;) You need to get some flowers for it, though! Looks like you had a fun night and that game might be a hit at our house?? Bring it when you come!

Pure2raw twins January 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Happy New Year!! xoxo

Carolynne January 1, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Sounds like you definitely had a fun and mellow NYE :) The champagne glasses are so pretty!!

For your egg, cheese and spinach sandwich, did you use mayo as well or just the LC cheese to make it creamy, sticky-togetherness?

janetha @ meals & moves January 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I didn’t mix tgw cheese into the eggs – I just smeared it on the toast. I used butter to cook the eggs (1 whole egg + 2 whites) :)

BroccoliHut January 1, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Seriously want to steal that owl mug.

actorsdiet January 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm

marshall doesn’t drink?! i totally wanna hang with him!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I’m a big fan of group games. The dice one looks fun. And interesting. I have never heard of it before.

paijery January 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Your NYE looks like lots of fun! I LOVE boardgames!! So much. We got a new game this year called “The game of things”! Lotssss of fun!! Can’t wait to hear about the new project!! xo

caronae January 1, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Happy New Year Janetha! I love the numbers too, but it isn’t really a palindrome because it’s 01/01/11! Lol.

I’m happy to be blogging and blog reading again. :)

janetha @ meals & moves January 1, 2011 at 11:28 pm

No way, you gotta leave out the zeros! Anything to make it a palindrome.

arsenalfamily January 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm

The food looks delicious! And I feel the older I get the more low key I get! I love it!

Meg January 2, 2011 at 12:25 am

I like numbers too. I can’t wait for 1/11/11 and 11/1/11. Hee hee. It’s a long story, but I welcomed the new year doing some yoga. Very relaxing! :)

edenseats January 2, 2011 at 12:42 am

sounds like a perfect way to spend new years! I watched Andersen Cooper for about five minuets at 12 am and was tucked in bed by 12:05. I worked all week so I was beat.
I’m in love with all your owl things! The are my second favorite animal (my first is a platypus, dont ask, I just love them!)

wolfenstein January 2, 2011 at 1:00 am

wow i like chiken and sandwich! look delious,..

happy new years!

TheNewHealthy January 2, 2011 at 1:37 am

I am pretty much obsessed with cute mugs and your owl mugs fits the bill! :) Mellow NYE are the best! We played Buzzword, which is a super fun game too!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) January 2, 2011 at 7:03 am

What an absolute blast! :D

And your egg sandwich has me drooling. I’ve been so into the sweet breakfasts lately too, and always forget about having eggs as a breakfast option. THANK YOU for the reminder. This looks fabulous. :D

Heather January 2, 2011 at 7:05 am

i want to come to parties at your house!!!

movesnmunchies January 2, 2011 at 7:42 am

your NYE looks so fun!! what a great get together with great food :)

Katy January 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

Looks like so much fun!!! Happy New Year! :)

runningaroundnormal January 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

Happy New Year, friend!! Sounds like a perfect way to round out 2010! And I love the 1/1/11 date too – another Binary Day!!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices January 2, 2011 at 9:36 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR :D
I have never heard of that game, but it looks so fun!
Oh, I’m TOTALLY with ya on being an old person- I was FAST asleep at approximately 12.30am- hahhahaha! I’m still impressed with myself that I even made it that late.
I hope this year is only filled with the best things for you :)
xoxox

Kayla January 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm

AAAHH, I AM IN LOVE WITH THE OWL MUG!

So so CUTE!

elise January 3, 2011 at 6:57 pm

shuffleboard AND darts?!? oh man, i wanna hang out with you! i KNEW my fellow numba lovin freak would enjoy the 1111 date :) i live for these pathetic deets, so im glad you feel as strongly about them as i.
i should have gotten in bed before 2. i am clearly in denial about my age. the next day was horrible.