flashback friday: 2010.

by Janetha on December 31, 2010

in meals

i wonder why people don’t scramble to make a whole crapload of goals on july 31st? what is it about turning the calendar to a new year that makes everyone recommit to their intentions, make big plans for huge changes and declare january 1 to be the start to the best year ever?  this insane burst of motivation should not just be around this time of year.. but it is. and will continue to be. the gym will be extra crowded for the month of january, then the motivation will fizzle and several people will forget about their new found enthusiasm to make big changes. and they will settle back in to their comfort zones.

i am not pointing fingers. i am just simply stating the obvious. i think that is why i try to make new, achievable goals each month rather than a whole grip of goals for the new year. i want to stay motivated year round!

i think the whole fuss about the new year has lost its magic to me. today really just feels like any other friday of the year. geez, what a downer i am, right? i used to plan my new years eve far in advance, went shopping to find the perfect outfit, waited in a long ass line at the liquor store to stock up on multiple bottles of booze, got an early start on the evening by getting ready at 5 o’clock and then got more and more excited the closer the clock ticked toward the new year. then i would run around like a maniac, kissing everyone in sight, screaming “HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

this year? no plans. no outfits. no lines. no hours spent getting ready. i think we will hang out with a few close friends, have a delicious dinner and some champagne, play games and seal the new year with a kiss with my mister.

and i am totally okay with that.

just my thoughts.

so, with that said, i am not going to get all sappy about today being the last day of the year and “here is the LAST breakfast i had in 2010” or “this was the LAST workout i did in 2010”. instead, i am going to reflect back.

image (source.)

2010 has, by all means, been the best year of my life. and also the most unexpected, surprising year of my life.

at the end of last year, i would never, EVER have expected to be married. or a home owner. and now i am both! holy flipping cow, i am a grown up.

well, sort of. i still like to sleep in until noon and eat cereal for dinner.

so, here we go, time for flashback friday! (how convenient that the last day of the year fell on a friday this year, no?)

just the highlights, one month at a time.

january

nothing super exciting happened. there were some good blog posts, though!

the ever popular smoothie stache was born:

i talked about working out according to your heart rate and explained the RPE scale.

february

i went to jamaica with my company.

i got en-freaking-gaged. totally taken by surprise.

imageimage

march

i went to wendover with all my best lady friends.

i realized i had tendonitis and iced my ankles every night.

april

we bought a house!

and started many, many renovations.

and my blog turned one year old!

may

i did the photo shoot for marty’s blogger babe calendar.

i finished up physical therapy for my tendinitis.

june

i turned 27.

july

i got MARRIED. to the best guy, ever.

i went to cabo san lucas, mexico, for my honeymoon.

august

we went to arizona for kristen’s graduation.

imageimage

september

i got a new nephew, ben.

october

i got another new nephew, greyson.

and i was a skeleton for halloween.

november

i went to the foodbuzz festival. and had the time of my life, mind you.

i went to california for thanksgiving.

december

i had a great first christmas in my new house with my new husband!

we started new traditions and kept some old ones.

imageimage

and it was the best. year. ever.

welp, that is my year in a nutshell.

i also want to point out that this year has been amazing for meals & moves, and i want to thank all of YOU for being a part of it. i never expected blogging to become such a huge part of my life, but so it has become. i love the relationships, conversations, entertainment and learning that has come from this little blog. i sure love you guys :)

kidding.

have a great, fun, safe night tonight! see you next year! (sorry, i couldn’t help myself.)

1. your new years eve style: happy new year maniac or mellow yellow?

2. if you had to pick ONE thing that was the highlight of 2010, what would it be?

Andrea@WellnessNotes December 31, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Looks like a good year, Janetha! I don’t like to set “crazy goals” at the beginning of a year either, but I like to look at my overall life goals. It’s a nice time to reflect and think if I need to make some “adjustments.” :)

Our evening will be very mellow, and I predict I’ll be asleep by midnight… :)

Highlight of the year? The teenager graduating from high school and starting college, and the toddler starting preschool! My kids are not babies anymore…

Wishing you a happy & healthy 2011!

julie December 31, 2010 at 12:40 pm

dude, i totally feel you on the NYE feelings. i was gung ho about doing something awesome yesterday, then i woke up this morning with a change of heart. i feel too old for the foolish shenanagans of NYE. i wish my friends felt the same way!

highlight of 2010 – can’t think of one :(

purplebirdblog December 31, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I am in the middle of doing pretty much the exact same post on my blog right now, only I don’t have links for the first 9 months of the year as I was blogless. ;) Happy new year, sweet Janetha. xoxo

momma b December 31, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I haven’t laughed this hard since Kristen scored 163 on one word……but you nailed it! I was laying or us it lying in bed wondering why the “new year” didn’t happen in july too and continued to have a lot if your similar thoughts haha although can’t say I’ve stood in long lines at the liquor store!

Yep just another night out to dinner and maybe some games til midnight! So we’re pretty mellow….

2010 highlights are much the same: an awesome wedding which gave us another handsome son!!
Not one but two HEALTHY and darling grandsons!

Looking forward to an awesome 2011 setting realistic expectations one step at a time!!

Love you neef and love your blog and all of you awesome blog friends …..be safe and be happy every day xoxo!

Jessica @ How Sweet December 31, 2010 at 12:50 pm

MELLOW! We love staying in.

Jenn (GH) December 31, 2010 at 1:17 pm

You had a seriously BIG year. Wow!

I don’t feel all gung ho either this year with goals and resolutions. However, I do love the idea of looking at the New Year as an open road. There is something fun about the “symbolism” that a New Year brings.

We are going to hang out with some of our taekwondo crew (other families) tonight. I’m really looking forward to celebrating with a houseful of kids and friends. It will be mellow if you consider the traditional “New Year’s Scene” but filled with love.

Stefanie December 31, 2010 at 1:20 pm

You had an awesome year! A marriage and a house alone would be huge!!

I’m staying in with the family tonight, and I’m totally okay with that too! :) Have a great new years eve!

Allison @ Food For Healing December 31, 2010 at 1:22 pm

NYE has too much hype for me! We’re just hangin low with some friends again this year, snacks and games, thats the way i like it

have a good night with friends

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) December 31, 2010 at 1:34 pm

This is a great point regarding setting goals. I sort of jump on the goal making train at the end of every year. Though, I do try to set monthly goals too. Who knows why the end of the year triggers this? Andy and I just had a talk about this. He’s not a resolution person at all but I am.

Andy and I have plans to relax, clean our apartment and watch movies tonight. Totally boring but it’s exactly what I need. I’m more than okay with this too. I can’t drink like I used to anymore anyway! Or stay up all night.

I found my smoothie stash pic in my recaps from January too! Ha!

My big highlight of 2010 was definitely celebrating being married one year in July with my boo. We went to Kauai and had a blast!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm

love that you’re keepign it real and not doing the last of stuff….thank you! it’s refreshing, as 99% of everyone else…is :)

i love what you chose as your highlights of the year. awesome pics of you and great memories (for me too b/c i remember all of these things in your life!)

for me, best of 2010 was moving back to san diego after living in a place i hated for 9 mos. And of course, watching skylar grow up :)

xoxo

coffeeandthepaper December 31, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I dig low key. You are talkin’ my language.

You’ve had an awesome year. If anything, this reaffirmed for me how many amazing things can happen in just 12 months. I love knowing that!

Runeatrepeat December 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I loved reading about your life and eats and fun this year. Here’s to another great one!

thedelicateplace December 31, 2010 at 1:50 pm

i’m super mellow on nye. i get a little bit sad to see another year go by but i’m going out to my fave pub tonight with nate to just have a drink and celebrate our year together. we’ll prob be home at 1230am haha, i <3 my sleep. my one highlight of 2010 was going to paris for a week. tres chic!

Erica December 31, 2010 at 2:02 pm

You had such an incredible year! I still can’t believe how FAST you planned your wedding. You totally rock. And so many amazing trips!! And your nephews are adorable. Enjoy your night! We’re doing the low key thing too. That is our favorite way to bring in the new year.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm

MELLOW for us. You are so right about resolutions! Totally with ya on that, girl.

paijery December 31, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Love the recap! What a great year :)

I’m working this year so NYE will be pretty tame lol but I like it that way!

My highlight of 2010 would have to be starting my blog!!

Have a fantastic night!! xx

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner December 31, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I totally agree with you! For me, today feels like “just an average day”. I am sure I will feel the exact same way tomorrow ;)

Rose December 31, 2010 at 2:58 pm

My highlight of 2010 was probably the same as yours: Getting married to a man who is perfect for me.

Tonight is mellow yellow for sure.

Ashely December 31, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Highlights of 2010: started reading health and fitness blogs (including meals and moves!), hired a trainer and lost 10 pounds!

Thank YOU for your blog and the inspiration it has provided to me. One of my plans for 2011 is to start my own blog to provide myself with some accountability.

Oh, and we do low key. 10 friends at the beach house for the weekend watching movies, playing games and a bond fire on the beach to ring in the new year.

Natalia - a side of simple December 31, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Mellow all the way. My family doesn’t have tv so I won’t even watch any of the festivities. I’m totally ok with that. I’m pretty sure the agenda consists of dinner with my parents and younger sister and a movie. And a batch of rice krispies treats. My ideal night to bring in the New Year!

Sarah December 31, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Great recap! Looks like you had an amazing year!

We keep our New Years celebrations pretty tame. Tonight we’re hosting a fondue + wii night for my sister and her boyfriend and my bff and her fiance. Party animals right here…

Jess December 31, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Now that is a jam packed year! Holy Smokes!

The best moment for me in 2010 would have to be welcoming our new puppy (a 4.5 year old black lab rescue) named Gunner. He is super sweet, we love him!

I am definitely a mellow yellow kind of gal this year : )

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 31, 2010 at 4:10 pm

1) Tonight may be maniac or mellow yellow….haven’t decided yet. ;)
2) My one highlight of 2010 was starting my blog, because it has helped me in more ways that I could have imagined! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 31, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Mellow yellow, all the way. New Year’s is the amateur night- I’d rather go out the other 364 days of the year :) Highlight of my year was probably my brother’s wedding!!

lowandbhold December 31, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I’m usually a mix of mellow and maniac, but this year it’s mellow all the way. And i’m loving it already :)

It’s been wonderful following your blog this (whole) year. I am so happy for you!

sophia December 31, 2010 at 6:47 pm

That is absolutely true that most of the time, your NY resolutions just fizzle and die by…at best, February. I still make them , though. I think the key is making them attainable and detailed, in baby steps, and then to check yourself and re-motivate yourself consistently throughout the year. Much like what you’ve been wisely doing!

Seems like 2010 was a great year for you…but you know what? 2011 will be even better. You just wait! ;-)

Sweet Cheeks December 31, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Your year definitely HAS been a great one! Those pics make me wish I was on vacation at a beach right about now though. ahhhh, so amazing. Wishing you a great 2011!!

actorsdiet December 31, 2010 at 8:49 pm

you did have a wonderful rockin year! i’m having a mellow yellow new year’s as well – my favorite kind!

Mama Pea December 31, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I didn’t do the whole 2010 recap thing, but I wish I had. Our walk in San Fran would have made the cut. Hope to reunite in 2011! Love you.

balancejoyanddelicias December 31, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I love the idea of setting goals every month!!! And love your monthly recap! :D

happy new year sweetie!

highlight of 2010: we got married and Star got transferred to US.

Nicole C. December 31, 2010 at 11:02 pm

1 – Mellow yellow. Always have been. Born and raised in Vegas and have never gone to the Strip for NYE. No thanks, I will stay safe and warm at home. We have some friends over, Ben and his buddy went to find a Wii and some games..I can only imagine them returning with a foamy cowboy hat and a case of beer (think dumb and dumber)

2- First thought about how to answer this: Seeing Moraine Lake and Lake Louise in Banff. Check that one off the bucket list!

cbrady3 December 31, 2010 at 11:29 pm

As much as I’d love to say I want to get crazy drunk and go crazy on New Years Eve, I’m a total mellow gal. But then again, I don’t consider a great meal and good champagne with friends mellow.

I think I have 3 favorite moments of 2011: Running my first half marathon, graduating college, and meeting my boyfriend Alex! YAY!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 1, 2011 at 3:30 am

Part of what made 2010 great was discovering blogs…And yours was one of the first three that I read! Thank you for the witty entertainment and inspiration, Janetha! <3

In the past I've been mellow yellow, but this year I went all out and attended a big party downtown. Happy 2011!

snackgirlgoeshealthy January 1, 2011 at 4:53 am

I just found your blog through Lisa’s! I totally loveee you!

Heather January 1, 2011 at 8:47 am

I’m a mixture – we usually go mellow one year and crazy the next. This year was mellow!
Love your recap – looks like you had a pretty great year!!! My favorite from 2010?? Probably finishing the Cleveland marathon feeling strong and happy! :)

movesnmunchies January 1, 2011 at 9:52 am

what a great year!! it seems 2010 was the year for engagements all around :)

edenseats January 1, 2011 at 10:23 am

you did have an awesome year!
nye was soooo mellow for me….like I was asleep! I got a text from my dad at 1 am saying “happy new year”. seriously, thats how I brought in the new year!
and foodbuzz was my highlight of year (and meeting you there included!).

Wendy January 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm

What great recap and you did have a GREAT year. ;-)

I personally like New Years to reflect on changes i Have made and make new goals to become more like the person I dream of being. But, New years eve has become a stay-at-home-hanging-with-the-fam-holiday and it is so much more fun now. ;-)

Susan January 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’m not hugely into the “start over” aspect of New Years either. For me, I feel more apt to start fresh in September. There’s something about the Fall that brings that out in me.

I do however like to party hardy on New Years. I don’t care about the midnight countdown, but it’s really fun to go out and celebrate when people are partying in the streets and everyone is in such a happy and festive spirit.

Highlights of this year are moving to Toronto, going to Banff, Chicago & San Fran, and of course meeting YOU!!! xoxoxo

Pure2raw twins January 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm

What a great year for you lady!! And here to another great one!!! Wishing you all the best this new year!

Katie January 1, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Hooray for great years! I have had one too, and I expect 2011 to be fantastic as well. :-)

Like you, I used to celebrate New Years manically, but now it’s mellow, mellow.

And carrying a child ‘takes the cake’ for the highlight of my year!

elise January 3, 2011 at 6:59 pm

i forgot about the smoothie ‘stach!! you should really do that again this year! im saying this somewhat selfishly since i think it would maybe make me drink a smoothie.

kaitlinwithhoney January 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Man, talk about a great year! Seriously – this year is full of so many amazing, life-changing moments. Congratulations… and here’s to another!

Holly January 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

LOVE the recap – happy 2011 to you soulmate!!!!

Lisa January 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

The older I get the less I want to party it up until 5am on NYE…This year the bf and I went snowshoeing during the day and then chilled at home until it was time to get dressed for dinner. It was fun and we met up with friends at a bar after dinner but rang in the new year at home. :)