the day.

by Janetha on December 28, 2010

in meals

this was the ornament marshall & i bought for our tree this year. it is so fitting because we call each other “bear”!!

although we went to sleep around 1 AM, marshall and i were still up bright and early to open gifts we had for each other.

at 8:15 AM.

yes, that is “bright and early” for us. i know that many of you laugh and shake your head at that… but the facts are the facts! and gone are the days of waking up at 5:30 AM to see what santa brought for us. my poor parents, they sure were good sports when i was a kid.

we woke up to see that, indeed, santa had come!

looks like santa left the grinch for marshall. how fitting ;)

santa filled our stockings with lots of goodies. penny and randy even had stockings of their own. it may sound silly, but opening my stocking is my favorite thing about christmas morning. i just like little odds and ends. this year was extra special because santa filled my stocking at my house and at my parents’ house.

i don’t really feel like posting details on what i got for christmas because i honestly don’t think you all want to hear it. but i will tell you the top 3 things marshall got me.

1. uggs

let me tell you something about me. i don’t have expensive taste. i could shop at forever 21 and target for the rest of my life and be content. i had brown sweater boots on my list.. just the cheapie knock off brand. when i opened these, i was so shocked! marshall said he knew i would like the knock off brand, but that i would REALLY like the real deal. he’s right. these are so much cushier and nice.. i guess you get what you pay for. but really, i never thought i’d own a pair of these, only because i never buy expensive clothes or shoes. however.. i am not complaining :)

2. an ice cream maker!!!!!!!

at long last. i can’t wait to make vanilla bean ice cream from scratch!

3. a zagg charger

this is something i NEEDED and didn’t even know it existed until christmas morning! my phone is always, always, ALWAYS going dead or is dead. (anyone else with a droid have that problem?) anyway, this handy little gadget holds a charge—you plug it in for awhile, it charges up, then you can take it in your purse and plug your phone or ipod into the box and it charges your device! no wall or outlet or car chargers necessary. how cool is that? i charged my phone at the movies sunday night.

after opening our gifts from each other (and giving the kids more bones than they could handle!) we headed up to my parents’ house for breakfast and gift giving.

my mom made an ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS breakfast casserole. seriously, it was amazing.

it had shredded red potatoes, diced bell peppers, diced red onion, diced ham, shredded cheese, eggs and milk.

i topped mine with salsa and sour cream.

after breakfast, my siblings and their families came up and we opened gifts with my parents.

there were some surprised faces and lots of laughs. here are a few candid shots…

my dad got my mom a brown carhartt jacket…

and guess what my mom got my dad?

haha.. YEP, a brown carhartt jacket!

i had told my mom about a vintage diet book (from the 60’s!) that i had seen at a consignment store. she ended up going to the store and buying it for me. it was a fun and funny surprise.

i mentioned in my last post that i got marshall a painting from an artist he loves. i’d been storing it at my mom’s house so i gave it to him there. he was pumped!

IMG_4682 IMG_4683 IMG_4684

in case you can’t tell.. that is a painting of a bunch of ships, and a hybrid shark-octopus (sharktopus, as the artist calls it) attacking one of the ships. the artist is kat and her website is kat’s creepy art.. she takes paintings and adds in her own creepy touches. her website is here!

this is my FAVORITE photo. my mom wanted to buy marshall some green bay packers sweats, but they came and were flipping GIGANTIC! i knew about this so when i saw them i started cracking up.

he’s gonna have to eat a lot of christmas cookies to fit into these.

priceless face when my dad opened a gift from my mom.. money for his harley fund :)

he was so happy! i love this photo.

hahah.. another great one of my dad.

here’s something you don’t see every day. or ever. marshall holding a baby! our nephew, ben.

IMG_4736 IMG_4742IMG_4754 IMG_4756 IMG_4759

the photo calendar always makes my mom cry. mission accomplished!

it was a great time but we missed my oldest sis & her fam. they moved to san diego and went to the beach on christmas! how would that be?

we spent the rest of the day eating, napping, visiting marshall’s side of the family, exchanging gifts with kristen and rory and ending the night with some toy story 3. i fell asleep before it was over so don’t tell me the ending!

and that, my friends, is my christmas in a nutshell. hope you had a great holiday with your family and friends! back to regular scheduled blogging soon. oh, and regular scheduled working out.. i haven’t been to the gym for a week! woops!

VeggieGirl December 28, 2010 at 9:13 am

WONDERFUL celebration!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

With your love of icecream that is a great gift!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) December 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

I just got a Droidy and I LOVE it- I have never had so much fun with a phone, nor have I ever had a smartphone- but the battery is such a flippin’ pain!!! I just ordered another charger off of Amazon because I left my outlet-prongy part plugged in on the bus… I ripped it out of the outlet but didn’t realize that only the USB cord came out D: I will definitely look into that magical charger you got!
Merry (belated) Xmas to you!

Tw December 28, 2010 at 9:21 am

I teared looking at your mom hugging your dad! How precious…my folks passes when is was 20/18 so that is a great!

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner December 28, 2010 at 9:25 am

AWESOME GIFTS :)

By 8:15, I have already ran and showered ;)

Sabrina Costello December 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

david LOVES kats creepy art!! we bought a little piece by her at craft sabbath.. love her!

Katy December 28, 2010 at 9:52 am

Looks like a fun and amazing day!!!!! :)

And that zagg charger looks interesting. My droid is ALWAYS dying on me!

Tay December 28, 2010 at 9:53 am

Looks like a wonderful day with the family :)
I also got (fake) uggs, an ice cream maker, and gave my sister a painting!! So similar ;-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

your sister lives in San Diego?! You HAVE to come visit her…and then we can have a meetup!

love your uggs and your charger gadget…and your great family pics…your momma always melts me when i see her :)

lowandbhold December 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

I love all the gift opening photos!

momma b December 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

A perfect recap of a perfect day!! Priceless photos! Thanks neef I love you xo!

Freckled Foodie December 28, 2010 at 10:11 am

oh my gosshhh! i need one of those things for my driod. my battery is CONSTANTLY draining. i’m literally looking one up on amazon to buy right now. yay for christmas money! :)

xo.

purplebirdblog December 28, 2010 at 10:14 am

What a kickass Christmas Day, girlfriend! I am soooo excited to see your first batch of vanilla bean ice cream!

Megan December 28, 2010 at 10:33 am

What a fun Christmas!! You are never going to want to take your uggs off. They are the best things ever! That charger looks so cool. I’ve never even heard of that!

Patricia Braithwaite December 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

So awesome! I loved being able to share Christmas with all of you. The uggs are so adorable! Loved Marshall’s sweats, too. It looks like you all had a fantastic Christmas. Hugs to everyone!

coffeeandthepaper December 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

Marshall is a DANG good gift-giver. I’d say that’s an excellent husband quality to have ; )

And what a fun and unique gift you got for him as well! Clearly you guys know each other back to front.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 28, 2010 at 10:53 am

aww i love the pictures of the family!!! glad you had a merry christmas!! :) you got some GREAT goods there ms Janetha :)

tha tpic of marshall holding the baby—precious!

lindsay December 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

I love all the faces! SO surprised! You gotta share some of the tips from that vintage diet book, hilarious!

Martha Lilian December 28, 2010 at 11:23 am

That ZAGG charger looks great! I have the same issue with my DROID but I love it and can’t imagine using a different smartphone, so this is an awesome solution. And those Uggs look soooo comfy. I definitely a little bit jealous of your Christmas loot!

Paige is Running Around Normal December 28, 2010 at 11:35 am

Um, can I come to your Christmas next year? It looks so FUN! haha ;)
LOVE those Ugg boots. I’m a bit obsessed with Uggs – but they’re sooo comfy!

Rose December 28, 2010 at 11:37 am

I have the Evo, but, yeah, my battery is always dying. I bought a second battery with the intention of keeping it charged and handy, but that never happened, so I find myself limiting my phone time (aka having to stop taking silly pictures) when I go out with friends because I killed the battery checking in on foursquare and playing angry birds. Stupid phone.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 28, 2010 at 11:43 am

All your gifts are awesome but I am most jealous of that ice cream maker!!!!!!!!!!

Tamizn December 28, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Looks like you had a fabulous day, love ya knew boots the real deal is always better! x x

Rachel (Olalliberry) December 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Your family is so cute! And that breakfast casserole looks so good…

And about your phone, my biggest battery sucker is the screen itself – set the brightness level as low as you can tolerate, especially when you’re inside. And when you’re in an area with wifi, make sure you use it – it takes more battery power to send/receive over your carrier’s data network than over wifi.

janetha @ meals & moves December 28, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I already have my phone soooo dim. Ugh it sucks.

Rachel (Olalliberry) December 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Ugh that does suck. Battery life is definitely the biggest problem with smartphones IMO. Here’s a few more tips from Androidguys:

Mama Pea December 28, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I absolutely love these pictures. I can just see the joy and love in all of your faces. I know that sounds totally cheesy. But you are blessed, blessed, blessed to have such a wonderful family!

Merry Christmas!!!

emily (a nutritionist eats) December 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

You guys have extra stocked stockings!! I always love the stockings too….filling and receiving :)

edenseats December 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I think I cried a little but reading this!

Mari December 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

It looks like you had a wonderful holiday! I have those Uggs in gray and heart them so much!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] December 28, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Homemade ice cream machines are the best! These are all such funny pictures. I love that your parents both got each other carhart jackets. I’m pretty sure that has happened in my family too.

Uggs are amazing. I’m currently wearing mine at my desk. With my suit. I put on my heels when I have to walk down the hall to the restroom. True story.

P.S. Um, Marshall is hot. In case you didn’t know.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 28, 2010 at 1:06 pm

That charger thing is so cool. Wish I’d known they existed before Christmas- my boyfriend would LOVE one!!

Mimi December 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Your holiday looks beautiful! I died laughing at Kat’s art– it looks like Cthulhu rising from the deep!

Allison @ Food For Healing December 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm

looks like you had such a great christmas! and A LOT of food, watch out, mexico is coming up pretty quick hehe :P

janetha @ meals & moves December 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm

ha! luckily i am already in shape for the trip.. so eating whatever i want over the holidays is fine by me :)

spabettie December 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm

looks like a SUPER FUN day!! Great fun photos of everyone, and I love the photos of your dad – happy happy! The painting is awesome! I’m looking at her website now – crazy cool stuff!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS !

Ashley December 28, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Such a great post…looks like you guys had a great Christmas!! Love those boots and have wanted them myself for 2 years now… :)

Amy Bee December 28, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I really enjoyed this post :)

elise December 28, 2010 at 2:58 pm

hahahaha…i love those huge ass packers pants…he looks like the after pic of jarod holding them up!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather December 28, 2010 at 3:46 pm

What a wonderful time!

Jess December 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

you and your family look so much alike!

Erica December 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Uggs are seriously the best. I’m the same way- NOT an expensive shopper…but uggs are SO worth it. The painting you got Marshall is beautiful. I love. Glad you guys had so much fun. Um…I just got home today and had a nice little surprise in my mailbox…. <3 ya! I will email you soon

Lo December 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm

omg your family is sooooo adorable. You can really see the love you all have for one another! speaking of marshall holding a baby, when is there going to be a little J? lol :)

xoxo
Lo

glidingcalm December 28, 2010 at 5:22 pm

what a fun recap!!! marshalls swears = hilarious!!!

and i made a photo cally for my boy too!! he didn’t cry though…………..

LOVES YOUZ.

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover December 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Loved this post, Janetha!
Such lovely/awesome pics!
Your family is really the sweetest :)
Btw – loved that charger you got from Marshall!
I really need one myself, haha.

Susan December 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Ohmygosh, I checked out that creepy art site. LOVE it.

Katie December 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Those are such great candid shots of your family! Your dad has the cheeriest smile…he makes me want to laugh with him!

Also, Meeker doesn’t EVER hold babies either – I think he’s scared of them – but this Christmas he held his niece for over an hour and it melted my heart!

janetha @ meals & moves December 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm

he better get used to it!! :)

dana @ my little celebration December 31, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Oh wow. I seriously laughed hysterically when I saw that photo of Marshall holding up his “GIGANTIC” sweatpants. So freaking funny. haha….

kaitlinwithhoney January 3, 2011 at 8:15 pm

This post made me smile. Your family is so cute… and so HAPPY!