crock pots and elephants.

by Janetha on December 19, 2010

in meals

YO. i haven’t blogged about food for a minute. well, that is about to change. starting now.

yesterday, marshall & i hosted a holiday party for all of his friends. who, of course, are my friends, but you know what i mean.

for the occasion, i used four other people’s recipes, went to three stores and borrowed two crock pots.

and, as surprising as it may sound, i was only in the kitchen for a couple hours.. even though i cooked lots of different things.

IMG_4119IMG_4149IMG_4118

IMG_4123IMG_4121

i baked a few things, dumped everything into the crock pots, tidied up a bit and called it good.

IMG_4167IMG_4169IMG_4170

lots of people brought food to share, but here are the things i made myself:

mama pea’s spicy african peanut stew

by the way, SO good.. you all should make it.

vegan chili (made up my own recipe as i went along)

turkey chili (slightly followed my recipe here)

jessica’s corn bread

vegan cornbread (recipe here)

roasted russet & sweet potatoes (just seasoned with 21 seasoning salute & olive oil)

vegan peanut butter bars (my recipe here)

some of the other tasty bites at the party~

chips!

sun dried tomato hummus

7 layer bean dip without the beans and missing about 3 layers (i love you sabrina)

cream cheese, pesto & sun dried tomato tower (from costco)

veggie tray

vegan mac & cheese (this is SO good, i keep trying to get my friend dave to do a guest post about it but he refuses)

apple tart (most amazing dessert!)

there was even more food than this.. including pumpkin cheesecake, vegan bruschetta and vegan stuffed bell peppers.

after eating lots of delicious food, we played the white elephant game. this was actually a last minute decision.. as in, an hour before the party. i thought it might be a little bit too short of notice, but everyone was able to scrounge up a white elephant gift to bring to the party! i think the short amount of time everyone had to find a gift made it even better, actually.

IMG_4189IMG_4190IMG_4191IMG_4193

everyone had pretty hilarious gifts.

IMG_4215IMG_4198IMG_4200IMG_4202IMG_4205IMG_4206IMG_4207IMG_4208IMG_4210IMG_4212IMG_4214IMG_4195

the rest of the night was full of lots of laughs, peanut butter bars and sleepy dogs.

time to get some christmas shopping done! less than a week? yikes.

don’t forget to enter the seventh giveaway of christmas.. #8 will be going up tonight!

Q~

have you ever participated in a white elephant exchange? what did you give/get?

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] December 19, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I love White Elephant exchanges. They are often quite hilarious. I once ended up with a Homer Simpson USB port. :P

Lauren December 19, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Sounds like a fantastic Christmas party! Way to go on all of the yummy food!

Katy December 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I have watched a white elephant exchange (I forgot to bring a gift so I couldn’t participate). Two of the funniest gifts were diapers and a feminine douche.
Of course a guy would get the douche. ;)

All that food looks GREAT! YUM!

janetha @ meals & moves December 19, 2010 at 4:16 pm

hahaha oh my gosh that is hilarious!

Jenn (GH) December 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Fun! I love white elephant gift exchanges. They crack me up. I love it when all the of the gifts are super crappy except one or two and everyone is trying to get those!

Erica December 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW! Look at all that amazing food. You truly are an awesome hostess. I am totally looking up and book marking that Mama Pea recipe (she is truly a genius). And that vegan mac n cheese- we NEED a guest post! Pleaaaaaaaase! Josh has a white elephant at work tomorrow. Last year, he brought in an AWESOME gift and ended up with this super old crock pot from like the 70′s…this year hes bringing back in the super old crock pot haha.

Kelly Olexa December 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I just participated in my first White Elephant gift exchange. I gave a Sponge Bob Chia Pet and I got this like Apple Cider Lager Beer, which I accidentally left in DC in my hotel room fridge. OY! Your recipes look amazing. That’s what I’m doing today- cooking up goodies for the week. ;-)

MelissaNibbles December 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Looks like a fun get together! I would eat all the mac and cheese and sit on your lap if I was there.

purplebirdblog December 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Nice gift exchange, and HOLY HELL NICE SPREAD OF FOOD. I want to come live with you guys. For realz yo! :D

Allison @ Food For Healing December 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm

looked like a great turn out of people and food! yum lovin all the foods

Matt December 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Sounds like a great party! Great spread of food :)

Elyse December 19, 2010 at 5:15 pm

YUUUM-o! What wonderful spread! I love the idea of having a crock pot theme partay :) Thanks for sharing.

lindsay December 19, 2010 at 5:16 pm

i could really use that tv tray. So versatile. haha. I’ve got Elk Antler candles from my last white elephant. Maybe I should do a giveway, jk!
I love all the cozy eats. :)

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com December 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I love the crock pot! Everything looks delicious!!! I haven’t done a white elephant in forever….I don’t remember what I got or gave ha!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 19, 2010 at 5:38 pm

the food looks wonderful!

vegan chili or any kind of chili, i agree, is just one of those dump it in, hope for the best a few hrs later type things :)

the peanut butter bars…oh forgot about those. I.want.them.now!

White elephant gifts? yes. so ugly and heinous i cant even recall…it’s been years since ive had the pleasure of doing one of those exchanges. lol.

simplyshaka December 19, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Wrong post to read when I am hungry, just sayin’!

The spread looks amazing and I am envious of your two crockpots. I barely have room for one on my counter!

coffeeandthepaper December 19, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Girl your hosting skills are off the chain! I can’t believe all of the delicious food that you made. And two types of cornbread? I die.

I played white elephant one year, and got a plastic fish that sang christmas carols.

Emily December 19, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Pressure him into doing a guest post, please ;) I neeeeeed that vegan mac n’ cheese recipe!

Pure2raw twins December 19, 2010 at 7:35 pm

FUN! FUN! FUN!

All the food looked yummy and we hope to a have a While Elephant type party with our family this Thursday, cannot wait.

kissmybroccoli December 19, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Holy holiday spread!! Everything looks awesome! Do you and Marshall have a spare room because I really think I need to move in with you! I made MP’s African Soup last week! Isn’t it abso-freakin-lutely amazing?!?

BroccoliHut December 19, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I just attended a white elephant exchange last Tuesday with strictly ornaments. I had my gift stolen from me FIVE times–what bad luck! I still ended up with a cute ornament though.

emily (a nutritionist eats) December 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Thinking about you while the Packer game is on :)

Sana December 19, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I have never seen such fabulous party food! It all looks so good- I am not craving chili and cornbread and I have never even had any!

Heather December 19, 2010 at 9:20 pm

we did a white elephant gift last tuesday night…i ended up with a prism thingy that i don’t even know what to do with! maybe use it to freak the dogs out in the summer?! :)

Laura (starloz) December 20, 2010 at 2:02 am

thats sooooooo much food, j, i’m impressed by your three crockpots going at once.

movesnmunchies December 20, 2010 at 4:30 am

wow! so much yummy food- i am salivating over those vegan pb bars!

lowandbhold December 20, 2010 at 9:20 am

I love white elephant exchanges. It’s been awhile since I’ve done one though.

Everything looks super delicious!

Steph December 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm

’tis the season for chili!!

Lisa December 20, 2010 at 6:42 pm

My family does White Elephant at our annual party. It’s great because there’s so many of us (5o or so) and it can get overwhelming but fun!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] December 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm

My heart just exploded when I saw that picture of Penny.

I haven’t been to a White Elephant party in a while. :(

Paige is Running Around Normal December 20, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I’ve never done a white elephant exchange, but every year I say I want to!
And oh em gee that food looks fanfreakingtastic.

Barbara December 26, 2010 at 9:52 am

omg, I think MARSHALL (which by default, means YOU) lucked out! Killer massager, great brand, and now he has no reason to not give you free massages for life! Ah, the perks of being married!!! lol
Your party looks amazing Janetha! such a great vibe!
Barbara

Fara December 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Hi,
May I know where you bought the Cream cheese, Sun dried tomato and Pesto spread? What is the brand and it’s particular name? I would love to have this soon!
Your party looks exciting!
Thank you!