thanksgiving twenty ten.

by Janetha on November 27, 2010

in meals

i just marked 891 new posts as “read” in my google reader, so i could be wrong when i assume that there are already 891 posts out there about thanksgiving. but, i have a feeling, that my assumptions are right on the money.

and guess what? here is another one. a day late and a dollar short.. but it’s better late than never. so they say.

as i mentioned awhile back, marshall & i were registered for a 5k turkey trot on thanksgiving morning.

well, plans changed. i mentioned that i have been sick. i have been trying to use the secret and not think about it or talk about it.. but after i was up all night wednesday night with a throat as sore as when i had my tonsils out, i cried mercy and finally admit it: i am sick.

i realized that running a 5k in 33 degree temperatures would be stupid. races are fun, but races in the cold when you are super sick and want to be better to enjoy thanksgiving in california with your family are not fun.

so i opted out.

at 6:30 AM thursday morning, i told marshall that i wasn’t going to be participating in the race. i figured he wouldn’t either, because he’d been griping non-stop about me “making” him do the race in the first place. but guess what?

he opted in.

this took my by major surprise. marshall hasn’t run since the last 5k i made him do over two years ago. apparently he was bound and determined. i bundled up and accompanied him to the race.. i couldn’t run, but i could surely be his cheerleader. as long as cartwheels weren’t involved.. i never was good at those.

oh, want to know what is crazy? as i was getting up and ready, i realized that i had left my running shoes back in utah! i decided that this was the universe’s way of keeping me from running the race had i tried to decide to run in despite my sickness. i am a firm believer in things happening for a reason. janetha g and the turkey trot was just not in the cards.

anyway, back to the race. we got there are picked up our numbers. hey, i still had to snag my free shirt!

there were over three THOUSAND people racing. that is a hefty number considering the small town the race was held in. i loved seeing all the turkey themed props and attire.

IMG_3029IMG_3054IMG_3055

after a quick stretch, marshall was off!

how funny is it that he just decides to to a 5k, in his PJs, wearing a beanie and sunglasses, in pumas he bought the night before? what a guy.

we walked around for a bit and then ended up at the finish line right in time to see him finish. i love this action shot.

good job, marsh.

after the race, coffee was in order. it was COLD outside.. and that says a lot coming from me, i am used to the cold!

we hit up peet’s coffee, which we don’t have in utah (unfortunately, because i LOVE peet’s) and i just have to share this awesome menu choice they offer.

press & go? yep. french pressed coffee.. in a disposable, individual press!

GENIUS. so, so, SO genius!

yes, i get stupidly excited about innovative coffee contraptions.

we got back to my sister’s house where i made some toast with eggs and a steamy mug of theraflu.

oh, yum.

before i knew it, it was time to get the cooking projects started. i went to my sister’s computer to print off a few recipes when i spied someone’s blog—

yes, my sister and mom are addicted to mama pea. with good reason.

cooking shenanigans—all the ladies busy in the kitchen while the boys watched football. typical, but i am not complaining! i would rather cook than watch football every day of the week Smile

IMG_3142IMG_3222IMG_3146IMG_3157IMG_3151IMG_3153

things started off with several appetizers.

IMG_3171IMG_3176IMG_3180IMG_3220IMG_3189IMG_3190

“aunt neefy, why do you have to take pictures of EVERYTHING before we can eat it?!”

as you can see, the appetizers were a hit.

IMG_3197IMG_3198IMG_3199IMG_3200

my parents are cute.

check out this beautiful bird!

all credit goes to momma b.

the turkey was carved..

IMG_3243IMG_3247

and dinner was served!

the full menu:

IMG_3236IMG_3240IMG_3250IMG_3251IMG_3260IMG_3261

my plate..

the stuffing right in the center, where it belongs. my favorite part of the entire meal.  actually, the only thing i went back for was more stuffing. you guys, i am addicted.

then.. the obligatory nap.

i was full for a good 7 hours.

we played games. i posted a blog post. we napped. we played wii. we chatted.

THEN there was room for pie.

all homemade. all delicious. pecan, pumpkin, apple and coconut cream.

IMG_3296IMG_3297

i had a sliver of every kind. because, well, why not?

the napkin says it all.

thanksgiving was great. i am so happy we were able to spend it in california with my sister and her family, who we don’t get to see all too often.  it was marshall’s brilliant idea to visit them for the holiday and i am so glad he suggested it!

i realize that this post is ridiculously long, so if you made it this far, thanks for reading. you are a champ!

well, i am going to go drink more theraflu and hope tonight isn’t as horrible as the last couple have been.

hope everyone has a lovely weekend.. i love that there are still two whole days before monday morning comes!

1. do you like pie? what’s your favorite kind?

2. who did you spend thanksgiving with?

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com November 27, 2010 at 12:48 am

Bummer you were sick this week and that you couldn’t do the race! That is awesome that Marshall still did it! I loved some of the racers costumes…awesome. 33 degrees in cali??
Your Thanksgiving spread looks amazing. You even had homemade pie. Stuffing is by far my favorite part of the meal and my favorite pie is apple. We spent Thanksgiving with my family and Billy’s family. Have a great Saturday:)

Melina November 27, 2010 at 12:51 am

We totally had those plates for Thanksgiving too! So cute! All of your food looked totally fabulous! I’m glad you got to spend time with your family. Sounds like you all had a lot of fun! Just think, next year you could be in San Diego. Score! Hope you feel better soon!

Allie @ Healthy Balance, Healthy Life November 27, 2010 at 1:05 am

For some reason I’m loving reading the Thanksgiving posts so another from you is totally fine with me!

Pumpkin pie is my favvorite. Then, Key Lime :)

Spent Thanksgiving with my mom, brother, and extended family.

Hope you feel better–sending positive thoughts your way.

Mackenzie November 27, 2010 at 1:57 am

Your family looks so fun, and the food looks delish! If you like the Secret, you should also check out “Attitudes of Gratitude” by M.J. Ryan. They are both basically my books to live by. Happy feasting!

Erica D November 27, 2010 at 2:18 am

I spent Thanksgiving with my mom, dad, and sister, and I made my first RAW dessert ever: pumpkin pie! It was such a hit, plus so easy and healthy. I think my family is starting to note the benefits of my obsession with food blogs.

lindsay November 27, 2010 at 5:55 am

you read all 891?! Impressive, just kidding. haha!

Stock up on Emergen-C and lots of hot tea. Looks like family time might help cure you as well, they are just full of warmth and good food!
Cheers,
LC

greensandjeans November 27, 2010 at 6:25 am

Go Marshall! That’s awesome that he chose to do it on his own! Sorry to hear you are under the weather, there are few things I hate more than being sick on a holiday

Lauren November 27, 2010 at 6:42 am

Sorry you were sick babe! :( I actually rain a Turkey Trot in the freezing rain and now I’m probably about as sick as you. Stupid for me but I’m glad one of us was smart.

What a fantastic Thanksgiving! :) Glad it was wonderful. :)

Matt November 27, 2010 at 7:30 am

I made coconut pumpkin pie. OMG that was good!

Glad you had a good turkey day!

Marisa @ Loser for Life November 27, 2010 at 7:31 am

Everything looks amazing!! Hope you feel better soon, J!

Erica November 27, 2010 at 7:46 am

That is SO awesome that the man ran the race! And I hope you’re feeling much much better now. All the food looks incredible. I want to try some of the sweet potato & goat cheese galette and the coconut pie please! I’m not a HUGE pie fan because I don’t love regular pie crust, but I do like a pie with a good graham cracker crust :) And I like the insides of apple pie. Our Thanksgiving was great! We spent it with my parents and my Aunt & Uncle and their kids

susan November 27, 2010 at 8:05 am

Lovin that pic of Mama B with the turkey!

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving even though you were a bit under the weather. You’re right, everything happens for a reason and that 5k was not in the cards!

I actually don’t like pie. Please don’t hurt me!

This year I had a pretty low key thanksgiving. A bit of volunteering, a lot of relaxing.

Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 27, 2010 at 8:23 am

Congrats on the 5k, Marshall! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. :)

1. I think my favorite is blueberry. Maybe.
2. I spent it with my mom, her boyfriend and my kittens. Totally low key, but fabulous.

Jessica @ How Sweet November 27, 2010 at 8:41 am

I am not a huge pie fan, but there are a few I love: coconut cream, peanut butter, and chocolate silk.

purplebirdblog November 27, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love pie. Pumpkin and blueberry are my absolute favorites.

I spent Thanksgiving with a good friend and his mom… my Alex was still stuck in Oklahoma! :(

I hope you feel better soon, girlfriend! Vitamin C infused hugs your way! xoxo

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness November 27, 2010 at 9:14 am

ahh what a fun.. and delicious looking Thanksgiving! So sorry you were sick though :( It’s funny, the only pie I really like are Thanksgiving-themed.. especially Pumpkin and Chocolate Pecan.. yum!

thedelicateplace November 27, 2010 at 10:19 am

i love the idea of press n go coffee! french press always tastes better anyway. i’m totally laughing about marshall and the 5k…that’s something my husband would do for sure. he randomly exercises like 3x a month in the weirdest getup and is skinny like a beanpole?! how do they do it?! haha
that bird is beautiful and i have the same roasting pan! i spent thanksgiving cooking for nate’s dad and all his siblings for a party of 6 :)

Mama Pea November 27, 2010 at 10:24 am

Hi Mom and Janetha’s sis!!!!

I’m sorry you are sick, J :( But way to listen to your body and lay off the race. That being said, want to start a new BFL challenge with me post-Christmas? I’m trying to listen to my body too, and my body is saying, “Lay off the dough balls.”

Feel better!

Carbzilla November 27, 2010 at 10:33 am

Feel better soon!

Your friend in stuffing,
Tiff

twobooswhoeat November 27, 2010 at 11:12 am

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well, Janetha! :( I didn’t end up running on Thanksgiving either because my stupid knee hurt so bad and it made me grumpy.

That Press N Go thing is awesome. We have a Peet’s about 20 minutes away and now I’m trying to convince Andy to take me. I am curious now!

Feel better. Lots of naps, fluids and bubble baths always help me.

zoe November 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

ohmygod i LOVE peets!! it’s so good. (shhh! don’t tell my place of employment (starbucks!) ;)!)

RhodeyGirl November 27, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Yum! The appetizers look great- actually, the whole meal looks great!

Heather November 27, 2010 at 1:05 pm

OMG, I would MUCH rather spend the day in the kitchen rather than watch football, too. No question.
What a great day you had – and good for Marshall for running the race without you!! Not sure my husband would do the same…. :)

Carrie November 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Okay, I have to de-lurk myself for this post. The press cup is the Xpress Lid for Smart Cup. I know this because my dad works for them. He’s been talking about this cup for quite sometime and it’s so cool to see reference made to it in one of my favorite blogs!

Carrie's Dad November 27, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You can find the XPress lid (disposable french press) at independent stores, Gloria Jean’s and It’s A Grind nationwide. Find a location near you on our website http://www.mysmartcup.com. Enjoy great coffee the way you want.

jen November 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Good gravy, everything looked incredible!!! My 2 little cousins wanted to know why i was taking pictures of food, “it’s only food” they said. Only food I cooked for 12 hours!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Jen

Nicole C November 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm

1 – i di like pie! we had a marie callendars around the corner growing up. im a dutch apple pie fan.
2- this year was a first for us to spend it in vegas with only my dad, his wife, her mom, my grandma, my brother and his chick. we cooked and it was a fancy deal!

way to go for marshall to be such a champ!

Salah November 27, 2010 at 6:45 pm

1. I LOVE pie!!! I love my mom’s homemade pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie, and sweet potato pie!! hahaha basically anything mom makes :-)

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover November 27, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Hahaha – loved the recap, Janetha!
Your parents (and your whole family, for that matter) are indeed SO cute!

cbrady3 November 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm

My favorite pie is Pumpkin!! But this year I snagged some pumpkin cheesecake as well…delish!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm

green apple & brie crostini with brown sugar glaze looks ridic good and i cant eat it but god, i want to!!!

you being sick.
girl. I went to work wed nite thinking, doing “the secret” to myself saying i wasnt sick. but i was. bad. woke up thurs morning w/ at least a 100F fever, cooked the whole feast myself and cleaned it all up and haha…ate none of it! b/c it wasnt vegan and even if it was, i was sick and had no appetite. It must be a CA flu bug. Skylar had it and gave it to me. And it’s going around. Better now, but not 100%. Hope you’re better!

the Peet’s indiv French Press…!!! Wow! I live 12 blocks from PEets but kid you not, pass FOUR starbucks in those 12 blks as well as numerous local niche indepedent coffee shops so i never do peets but i need to start again. Their coffee is the best!

Glad you marked everything as read :)

Laura (starloz) November 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm

i went back for stuffing too, how can you not?

i’m obsessed with stuffing, i’ve never even tried my friends stuffing before but it was DELICIOUS!

Susan November 28, 2010 at 7:54 am

Congrats to Marshall for finishing the 5k!! I love that he did it in his peejays and new Pumas like it ain’t no thang.

Stuffing. Only dish I ever get seconds on as well.

Favourite pie = apple. But it’s best for breakfast! Every year my mom makes a meat pie as well that is sooo good smothered in ketchup.

Feel better JG!! xo

elise November 28, 2010 at 5:30 pm

so much to comment on – i think youre so smart for listening to your body (even if you later had no shoes anyway) and its so cute that marshall still felt inspired to run AND even more that you were his cute little cheerleader. adorable.
your parents are so cute – and your dad finally got some face time on the blog!!
who ISNT addicted to mama pea?

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices November 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Hope you’re feeling MUCH better now! Go Marshall for running the 5k despite the freaking FREEZING temps- I have NO idea how you survive up there- I freeze when it’s like 70 out- lol!!
Everything looks phenomenal & yes, your parents are so cute :)
Can you believe I don’t like stuffing?!?! I have NO idea why, I just never have…it’s quite odd- I know…I’m just odd- haha!
Adorable napkins too :)