escape to alcatraz.

by Janetha on November 25, 2010

in meals

excuse my absence yesterday. i was gallivanting around san francisco. and now, i will tell you all about it.

because i am full. so full.

and the only parts of my body i can actually move right now are my fingers. to type.

marshall & i flew into california super early yesterday.

we caught BART from the airport and headed into san francisco.

IMG_0174IMG_0172

we met up with my mom, sister & her family, danica and her husband, jay.

we had big plans to check out alcatraz! i have been to san francisco several times but never went out to alcatraz. because this trip is probably one of my last to san fran (my sister is moving in a few weeks), we decided we better see what the island was all about.

things started with one of danica’s awesome healthy cranberry orange scones!

i was super stoked on the situation because i had skipped breakfast in lieu of a plane ride. danica brought a huge batch to share with everyone. how sweet is she?! and for the record, her scones taste phenomenal. try the recipe right now.

we hopped in line and boarded a big boat that took us over to the island.

(source.)

it was pretty flipping cold, and that means a lot coming from me because i am used to utah temperatures. luckily, momma b came to the rescue with purple houndstooth gloves!

on the boat.

IMG_1720IMG_2874

i had tea.

t’was warm.

we disembarked and it was time to see what alcatraz was all about.

IMG_2882IMG_2885IMG_9241

after a short video about the history of the island, we grabbed some sweet headphones and started the guided tour.

IMG_1743IMG_2892IMG_2929

solitary confinement cells. IMG_2913

um, NO THANKS.

so glad it was a gorgeous day yesterday! not a cloud in the sky.

IMG_1752IMG_2921

how would you like to blog on one of these old school typewriters?

the kitchen..

(source.)

check out the breakfast menu from 1963:

IMG_2938 IMG_2939IMG_9251IMG_1736IMG_9259

after touring the old prison, we hopped back on the boat and went back to the city.

we made a stop at the bicsoff store.. um, i had never tried these amazing cookies until yesterday. i am HOOKED!

danica is the nicest person in the world and bought me a jar of the biscoff spread. wow, after a fingerful of this stuff, i realize i should have bought like 10 jars.

seriously addicting.

marshall, danica, jay and i decided to walk to a restaurant that my boss told me i simply HAD to try.

we walked through china town en route to the restaurant. it was pretty wild. and claustrophobic. way too many people.

IMG_0181IMG_0182IMG_0183IMG_0189

after a little over 30 minutes of walking, we reached our destination.

sears fine foods.. apparently it is world famous and has been around since the 1930’s!

i started with a delicious caesar salad.

danica and i split two entrees.

butternut squash ravioli~

butter, sage, shallots, parmesan, a pinch of nutmeg

grilled chicken breast on focaccia~

flame roasted peppers, basil pesto, tomato, market greens, melted provolone

both entrees were SO. DANG. GOOD. i am sure the fact that i hadn’t had a proper meal all day added to that—but seriously, this was some dang fine food.

because we were a bit bummed that we’d missed their breakfast service, we decided to split some swedish silver dollar pancakes for dessert Smile

perfectly sweet ending to a perfectly delicious meal with three of the most awesome people i know.

yum.

marshall had one thing on his mind: the puma store. the boy is obsessed. it was a short distance from sears fine foods to the puma store, so we walked.

IMG_2992IMG_2997IMG_2999

RIGHT before getting to the puma store, we were blindsided by a greenpeace activist who talked to us for a good 5 minutes, i swear.

then, at long last, marshall finally got his puma fix.

after the puma store, we all agreed that we were pretty well spent. we decided to snag a cab to get a ride back to the pier where it all started.

danica and jay gave us some presents (i am telling you, they are the nicest people on the planet) which i will show you guys later. and they were kind enough to give us a lift to the BART station. we said our goodbyes, which is always sad, but i was SO glad they were able to meet us for a fun day in san fran. i just love them.

marshall & i hopped on BART and made our way to my sister’s house.

which is where i am now.

i ate a lot of food before typing this.

i am totally full.

but i am thinking about pie.

there is always room for pie.

so i am going to eat some.

which i will show you tomorrow.

because this is long, and i have family to hang out with.

no Qs. just a sappy note.

happy thanksgiving, everyone! i hope you all had a great day. i am truly thankful for each and every one of you and the friendships i have developed through blogging. you guys are the very best. serious.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 25, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Sounds like such a fun time! Enjoy the rest of your night. :)

momma b November 25, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Great re-cap of a great day! Brrrr, it was a cold day but the sun did shine and not a bit of fog….truly an Alcatraz miracle!

Love and thanks to you all – you are incredible friends xoxo!!!

purplebirdblog November 25, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I too am full of crazyawesome food and having a hard time keeping my eyes open long enough to write this! Happy Thanksgiving, Janetha! You are such a huge inspiration to me and I am certainly extremely grateful for you! xoxo

Laura (starloz) November 25, 2010 at 8:51 pm

happy thanksgiving j

i love that you went to alcatraz, it’s such a fun place

Erica November 25, 2010 at 9:27 pm

aw :) Glad you guys are having such a nice time on your trip. I have only been to Alcatraz once and it was when I was little, but I remember it smelling bad haha. The restaurant looks delicious- especially the ravioli. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving :)

kbwood November 25, 2010 at 9:38 pm

AHH what a nice time girl!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING MY BEAUTIFUL BOMBSHELL!

Susan November 25, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Awwwww!!!! What a fantastic day!!! I miss you and Danica and Jay. And San Francisco! Hope you are having a blast with the family. I am thankful for YOU for being such a fabulous blogger friend for so long. I can’t wait till we get to hang out again xoxoxoxo

Matt November 25, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Sounds like a great day! I am getting ready for MORE pie as well ;)

Katie November 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Alcatraz will always remind me of So I married An Axe murderer. “My name is Shep Sheppard, but everyone here calls me Vickie.”

Also, tell Marshall that I love that he is always wearing a Packer hoodie!

Happy thanksgiving!

twobooswhoeat November 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Those purple gloves are way too cute!

Lucky you going back to SF. I’m debating going back after my Christmas break. It’s only a 45 minute flight from us.

I’ve never been to Alcatraz. It looks awesome and so do Danica’s scones. Delish.

Nicole C November 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm

happy thanksgiving to you and your family!!

i took a night tour of alcatraz, very creepy. i love san fran, theres so much it offers..i have some of the same pics in the same spots.

Carbzilla November 25, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I’ve never been as cold as the day I toured Alcatraz. Serious brrrrr!

Girl – we’re you having deja vu? Sears is right across the street from the Drake! That’s hilarious that it was the recommended spot! I thought about going there for breakfast but others didn’t want to. Boo hoo. Maybe next time. Looks like lunch was killer!

Happy you’re having a nice visit. So sad your sis is moving but life goes on!

Safe travels!

Julia November 25, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Tyler and I toured Alcatraz last fall – it was so neat! I love seeing all your pics of San Francisco – ahh memories of Foodbuzz :)
Happy Thanksgiving – hope you had an amazing day!

edenseats November 26, 2010 at 12:16 am

Hey Janetha,
I am warning you that I kind of skimmed this post because I’m very distraught lately. I just know that you saw danica and I’m so jealous cause shes the bomb. I just wanted to wish you, marshall and the rest of your family a wonderful thanksgiving.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 26, 2010 at 1:57 am

“bicsoff store.. um, i had never tried these amazing cookies until yesterday. i am HOOKED!”

Girl. I love those things! They are not GF and probably not vegan but I used to travel tons, on Delta. And they give those things out (well they used to) like candy on long delta flights. Many times I probably ate at least 10 packets worth on long flights :) And I loved every second!

The biscoff spread?!! I may have to see if i can order it! Does it taste like the cookies?

Alcatraz…have done the tour

The ferry ride is ALWAYS cold, even in the summer!

Happy TG!!

Jessy (squeezetheday) November 26, 2010 at 2:20 am

It sounds like you had a great day! By the way, the last photo is super adorable, you and your husband look really cute together. :)

Heather November 26, 2010 at 2:45 am

What a great day! I have to say if I were with you, you would’ve lost me in China town…I would’ve been drooling over that GINORMOUS display of persimmons! I <3 persimmons…but they are not easy to come by where I live…and certainly not for 79 cents a piece! ;)

MelissaNibbles November 26, 2010 at 5:27 am

I’ve always wanted to go to San Fran. It seems like the laid back type of place I would enjoy. Enjoy your weekend :)

Lauren November 26, 2010 at 5:37 am

Oh girl! This is so great! I had no idea you were going to Cali. What a great surprise. :) Can’t wait to see your Turkey Day recap.

Love you girl and Happy Thanksgiving!!

lindsay November 26, 2010 at 5:37 am

so fun! I love alcatraz. We go there every year for the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. The hubs and other athletes, jump off a boat from Alcatraz island and have to swim to the shore (a little over a mile), then bike 18 miles, then run through all the Gold state park. Its crazy!! That water is cold!
You guys look pretty adorable thought, hope your feeling better after some yummy thanksgiving food.
Cheers,
LC

Pure2raw twins November 26, 2010 at 6:17 am

I remember going to Alcatraz when I was little with my family. A very cool and interesting place. Glad you had a great trip!!

And Happy Thanksgiving!
~Michelle

April November 26, 2010 at 6:37 am

I’m hoping to go to Alcatraz soon. I’m obsessed with prisons.

I’m glad you had a great Thanksgiving. I can’t wait to see the pie LOL!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) November 26, 2010 at 7:33 am

looks like an amazing trip! happy late thanksgiving to you!

xoxo

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 26, 2010 at 7:42 am

I am still bummed I didn’t make it to Alcatraz a few weekends ago!! Glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving…and yes, there is always room for pie. Lots and lots of pie. Have a wonderful holiday weekend love!!

thedelicateplace November 26, 2010 at 9:07 am

i love BART, he’s never steered me wrong! i’ve never been to the prison either but have walked through chinatown so i def understand the crazy crowd situation there! i spy persimmons! am i the only one that gets a numb mouth after eating them haha?

Leigh November 26, 2010 at 9:15 am

I LOVE San Fran! We went there in August for our mini-moon as I like to call it. We went to Sears Fine Foods for breakfast every morning…pretty tasty! You have to check out a place called Ike’s. It’s a little hole in the wall, but so, so, so good! It’s a little out of the way, but so worth it.

Here’s the address:
2247 Market Street
btw. 16 and Sanchez

julie November 26, 2010 at 9:27 am

haha i woke up this morning still full from last night and continued to stuff my face with peanut butter oatmeal and now i’m too full to go to the gym haha. which i want to do in like 10 minutes but might puke. greeeat.

i want to see your pie but aaaaaaafter i workout haha

Andrea@WellnessNotes November 26, 2010 at 10:08 am

Glad you are having a great time with family! Love all the photos… I’ve been wanting to eat some butternut squash ravioli. Your dish sounds and looks great!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

elise November 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm

so fun!!!

im going to be in SF tomorrow…just missed ya.

Mary (A Merry Life) November 26, 2010 at 7:37 pm

So cool! Alcatraz is the one thing I didn’t get to do when I was in SF but wish I had. One day!

Glad you are having a great time with family. Happy late Thanksgiving!

I’m thankful for you too. I love your blog. <3

Heather November 26, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Wow – what a great day. And how funny that Mama B just “happened” to have houndstooth gloves!! Love it.
Glad you had a good Thanksgiving – I don’t think I could move last night either from my food coma. Guess that’s a sign of a successful Thanksgiving! :)

Danica November 26, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Happy Day after Thanksgiving! :D Well, I figured I missed wishing you a happy t-day on t-day, so, saying it after counts, right? lol

Thanks for inviting us to tag along to Alcatraz and sharing lunch with me :D We both had a blast with you all.

That Biscoff Spread….OMG, I wish I bought like 10 jars too. You are too cute sourcing my pics….you didn’t have to….I’ll probably steal some of yours for my recap or just tell everyone to come read yours :)

Miss you….XOXO!

Danica

glidingcalm November 27, 2010 at 1:14 am

loves!

glidingcalm November 27, 2010 at 1:17 am

What exactly is the biscoff spread btw?!

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] November 27, 2010 at 6:27 pm

happy thanksgiving! :) glad you had a great time in SF. i still haven’t been to Sears Fine Foods, but I do love Swedish pancakes.

Jenny December 1, 2010 at 10:55 am

So I have this bad habit of committing to make a recipe without fully reading it. I bought all the ingredients to make the Cranberry Orange Scones but I don’t have an stand up electric mixer. Do you think it would still work to mix it by hand? I don’t know how or if it would effect the recipe.

janetha @ meals & moves December 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm

yep i think it would still work!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm

OK that group photo in front of alcatraz looks so perfect it looks fake. Like the alcatraz is a fake painted backdrop. Everyone looks so great. Love Danica’s jacket- love that green. Hi mama Bean!

Glad you got to taste the pancakes at sears. I got scared that you wouldn’t when I saw it was lunchtime!

Biscoff spread, wha?