here’s a story.
yesterday morning, i ate waffles. then i posted a facebook status update:
and then it started. and it didn’t stop.
this is the glorious sight i awoke to:
i cannot tell you how much i love snow.
especially immediately after a big storm. it’s beautiful.
and it calls for a warm breakfast.
guess what? before today, i had never eaten instant oatmeal. is that strange? i actually never ate a bowl of oatmeal, period, before august of 2008. when three sisters offered to send me their instant oatmeal to review (see my disclosure here), i was quite curious as to how i would feel about instant oatmeal.
this morning, i decided to go with the cinnamon & apples flavor.
who doesn’t like quick & tasty natural goodness?! plus, it is loaded with whole grains, flax seed and real fruit.
bonus point: 25% less packaging than other brands of instant oatmeal.
let’s check out the stats & ingredients.
because i can’t compare these stats to other instant oatmeals, i will go ahead and weigh in on my thoughts regarding these stats versus the stats of old fashioned rolled oats (AKA my breakfast 5 out of 7 mornings of the week).
- calories: 150 this is the same as a serving of rolled oats. nothing crazy here. this also tells me i need to add something else to the meal or i will be hungry 5 minutes after eating.
- fat: 2.5g definitely okay with me.. plus, no saturated fat.
- sodium: 90mg that’s what i like to see.
- carb: 30g a little on the high side, but i know it is flavored oatmeal instead of plain, so i am not surprised by this number.
- sugar: 9g a little higher than i aim for at breakfast, i try to stay below 7 grams of sugar. unless i am eating cereal, then all aims are thrown out the window
- protein: 5g a typical amount for oatmeal, my regular old fashioned oats have the same amount. again, like with the calories, this tells me i need to add some oomph to the meal if i want any sort of satiety.
the ingredients: whole grain rolled oats, sugar, soy, dried apple pieces, brown rice, cranberries, flaxseed, natural flavor, barley, quinoa, rye, wheat, salt, guar gum, citric acid.
pros of the ingredients:
- nothing fake here! i don’t understand companies who put artificial ingredients in their food, when it can obviously be done without all that garbage. i love that three sisters keeps it all natural.
- the real fruit: apples & cranberries for the win.
- the addition of grains & healthy fats: quinoa, barley, flaxseed, rye.. yes! the box says one serving has 29 grams of whole grain.
cons of the ingredients:
- second ingredient listed, after rolled oats, is sugar. this is something i try to avoid. (did you know ingredients are listed from the most amount to least amount used? so sugar being #2 is not that stellar.)
luckily, there is only one con!
possibly the coolest part about the pouch?
it doubles as a measuring cup! that, my friends, is genius.
i poured the pouch contents into a bowl.
added the water using the handy measuring pouch.
put it in the microwave for 2 minutes and watched the dogs wonder about the snow.
and just like that, it was done!
loved the chunks of apple that rehydrated.
it is no surprise that i added more cinnamon. addict.
not going to lie, the portion size made me a little bit sad. i reminded myself that it was only 150 calories worth of food.
i soon discovered the bits of flaxseed and cranberries.
my thoughts on the taste and texture?
the texture was smooth but not too creamy. there was a definite mix of various textures in the bowl. another thing i enjoyed was the chew factor of the oats. i think the addition of quinoa and barley caused such a nice, chewy texture.
the taste was spot on. i thought it was going to be a little too sweet (i don’t usually sweeten my oatmeal) but it really had just a hint of sweetness. i am glad i added more cinnamon, though, because that made the cinnamon flavor just right. but, more than likely, my tolerance for cinnamon is much higher than the average gal.
all in all, i really liked the three sisters cinnamon & apples hot cereal. thanks to julie at three sisters for giving me the chance to try it out! i will be trying the other flavors soon and will be sure to let you all know how they compare to the cinnamon & apples flavor.
do you want to try some for yourself?
i have two coupons for two winners!
- leave a comment telling me your thoughts on instant oatmeal. did you grow up eating it or have you never tried it? love it? hate it? let me know!
i will announce the coupon winners on monday night (11/22/10)
although three sisters provided the coupons for this giveaway, they are not sponsors, endorsers or affiliated with the giveaway itself.
i will be back later with a post about yesterday’s meals & moves.
xo. janetha g.