clocking out.

by Janetha on November 18, 2010

in meals

i have been working all day.

even when i left work, i was on the phone dealing with work stuff.

this is kind of what i feel like doing right now.

IMG_1955

so i am taking a cue from my sister from another mister and not posting a legit post tonight.

i am clocking out.

and joining these three on the couch.

IMG_1956

see you tomorrow!

Q~

because i have been meaning to ask.. now is a good time. what is your favorite thanksgiving SIDE DISH recipe? i have a couple thanksgiving dinners coming up and i am in charge of the sides. i would love to know what recipes you adore. (links welcome!)

Matt November 18, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Check my blog at 8 AM tomorrow and you will have my favorite side dish ;)

coffeeandthepaper November 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Cornbread stuffing!

OH! I just watched Throwdown with Bobby Flay and he made a brussel sprouts dish with pomegranate seeds and vanilla butter that looked pretty orgasmic.

julie November 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm

i’m obssessed with long island groupon hahaha i haven’t bought anything yet but i’m waiting for the day that an amazing deal finds its way into my wallet!

i can’t wait for these side dish recipes to be posted on your today’s post because iiiii need help with that haha

Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 18, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Everyone needs a break! Um duhhh, stuffing and mashed are my fav sides! ;)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 18, 2010 at 8:58 pm

good girl! You deserve it! I saw your tweet today about being super stressed and felt sad for ya! Hope your day got better!

Sorry, I don’t have any standbys for side dishes. The New Yorker website has a ton of great Thanksgiving recipes that I”ll be trying out this year though!

purplebirdblog November 18, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Enjoy your night off! One of my favorite side dish recipes is carrots au gratin that my mom used to make… I’ll see if I can dig up the recipe!

kgirl November 18, 2010 at 9:28 pm

As a Canadian, I already celebrated tgiving- I know, crazy right?
So I already know what was my absolute favorite this year… sweet+russet potato mash… and asian cabbage salad with ramen noodles and slivered almonds. SERIOUSLY. it was unique, but such a welcomed surprise.

Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 18, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I’m working on a roasted chestnut dish, I’ll shoot you the recipe when it’s done. :)

Tw November 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm

S0uthern cornbread dressin’ its yummy! I make it every year and I am sure you could google Paula Deen(so baaaad) but its Thanksgiving.

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com November 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm

You are crazy busy woman! I love the classic Utah ‘funeral potatoes.’ I have seen them on your blog before so I will spare you sending you the recipe again! I am sure you will come up with something delicious and amazing. You are my cooking idol.

Sana November 19, 2010 at 1:06 am

Lounge away!!! Ummm-I am Indian so I can’t help out with a side dish. But mashed potatoes?

edenseats November 19, 2010 at 1:08 am

I love my turnip, parsnip, and apple mash. You just steam the hell out of em and mash em up with some butter and bit of salt. I think its actually better than your standard mashed potatoes. This year I’m also doing a new spin on green bean casserole with macadamia nuts like this one http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Green-Bean-Supreme-Casserole/Detail.aspx
and I kinda wish i curling up on a couch with furry animals too!

Erica November 19, 2010 at 3:33 am

Good for you! You deserve so much relaxing time :) I am making a butternut squash dish with black beans and walnuts. Its vegan/vegetarian and packed with protein. Posting tomorrow!

Lauren November 19, 2010 at 5:44 am

Get some rest hun. Those long days really get you.

I’m in charge of sides too, right now I’m thinking green beans with cranberries and almonds and an apple waldorf salad of some sorts.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 19, 2010 at 6:39 am

Hope you had a good night!! I’m trying something new this year and making Oh She Glows’ sweet potato casserole as a side dish (and my entree) at Thanksgiving. She’s yet to lead me wrong with a recipe!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) November 19, 2010 at 7:08 am

I make a super simple brussels sprouts with grapes recipe… so good! Email me if you want the recipe :D

Enjoy your relaxing night!

xo

Meredith November 19, 2010 at 7:27 am

Here is a great one that will please all, including vegans.

Wild Rice Salad with Rosemary Vinaigrette

1.5 cups Texmati-Wild Rice blend (uncooked)[I use Rice Select Royal blend]
3 stalks celery, finley diced
½ large red onion, finely diced
1 cup red grapes, halved
1 cup pitted dates, chopped
½ cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup slivered almonds
Juice of 1 lemon
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil

Cook rice, allow to cool a little. Combine all ingredients.
Serve room temperature or refrigerate.

a taste of health with balance November 19, 2010 at 7:47 am

baked deep dish butternut with roasted pears,apples, sweet onion, and crumb topping of breadcrumbs, peacans, apple butter or pumpkin butter… it was SO GOOD (and healthy, but shh)

Evan Thomas November 19, 2010 at 8:00 am

I love stuffing, or sweet potatoes with marshmallows and pecans

Jessica November 19, 2010 at 8:04 am

Sweet Potato “Crunch”. OMG! Sooooo good!

Sweet potatoes mashed with milk, some butter, some sugar. Then make a “crunch” or “crisp” topping of: brown sugar, oats, nutmeg, cinnamon, some sugar, pinch of salt, and some butter. Mix all of this together until it is the consistancy of slighty wet sand. Sprinkle (or layer thickly..haha) on top, bake until golden brown and crisp on the top.

OMG yum! I am calling my mom for exact recipe amounts of each ingredient if any of you are interested.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather November 19, 2010 at 8:17 am

Penny’s so cute on her back like that. Silly pup.

I love brussel sprouts at Thanksgiving: http://www.healthywithheather.com/?p=3804

Annie November 19, 2010 at 8:19 am

Hi Janetha. Been reading your blog for awhile but this is my first time commenting. Thought I’d share a simple stuffing recipe with you. I found it in Whole Living Magazine. It’s by Anna Lappe. I gave it a test run the other night and it’s delicious.

Nut Stuffing
Serves 6 to 8

¾ lb. sourdough bread cut into 1-inch cubes (8 cups)
¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 c. fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1 c. toasted walnuts, chopped
1 c. toasted pecans, chopped
1 c. dried figs, sliced crosswise
1 c. dried apricots, chopped
1 c. prepared chestnuts, chopped
¼ c. assorted fresh herbs such as sage, rosemary, and thyme, chopped
2 c. water
4 T Earth Balance, melted
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Arranged bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and let stand overnight, uncovered, at room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, carrot, and celery until tender and translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
3. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until top is golden brown and stuffing is firm, about 15 minutes more.

melissa November 19, 2010 at 8:40 am

this is by far not even close to healthy, but it is insanely delicious and whoever you make it for will thank you over and over again…..just try it–you can’t go wrong with anything paula deen…. :)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger November 19, 2010 at 9:05 am

Good for you, lovely! I would do the same if I had that pooch looking me in the face…plus a sweet husband. I was going to post last night, too, about my “spa day”, but decided to watch a holiday movie with my Hunk of a Hubby and spoon on the couch. Def the better of the choices:)

Hope you have a fantastic Friday and can enjoy a stress-free weekend. You certainly deserve it!

ihearteggs November 19, 2010 at 9:36 am

Hope you enjoyed a relaxing night!

enjoyingthechaos November 19, 2010 at 9:46 am

I am going to try Emily’s Carmelized Onion Mashed potatoes..they look so good…

thedelicateplace November 19, 2010 at 9:50 am

um. i feel like clocking out right now. my fave sides include sauteed kale with ‘shrooms, shallots & bacon. also love cauliflower mash with garlic and parsely and roasted squash with chopped pecans or walnuts mmm

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils November 19, 2010 at 11:25 am

Sweet potatoes! They are always a favorite I think. And you can mash them all up beforehand, and just crumble brown sugar/pecans on top and bake when you get to the party.

Susan November 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Sending good work vibes your way and hoping things calm down for you soon! Family + downtime > blog :)

My mom makes a layered salad that is my favourite EVER. It’s not exactly “healthy” but a totally comforting way to add crispy veggies to a heavy Thanksgiving dinner. The Pioneer Woman has a version that looks bomb and is similar to my mom’s:

Freckled Foodie November 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm

good for you! take it easy, j.g ;) xo.

fave side dish = baked corn.

Dana @ my little celebration November 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Happy resting!

I haven’t tried this recipe, but it looks like it’d make an awesome Thanksgiving side dish:

Runeatrepeat November 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

You are gorgeous in those calendar pictures!

runningaroundnormal November 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Rest up, girlfriend!! I love mashed potatoes! I haven’t even begun to pick out recipes yet, though. Better get on that!

Tamizn November 19, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I feel like doing that too! x x

Shellie November 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm

anything SWEET POTATO.

awww love the pics! it’s good to just chill =)

Shannon November 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

LOVE all those photos from the shoot! and i’m still dreaming up what side dishes to make, but i’m totally all over those brussels sprouts bobby flay made on his thanksgiving throwdown with the pioneer woman!!

Sheila November 19, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Get some rest

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 20, 2010 at 12:30 am

THat massive cuddle fest is crazy. <3

Kaley November 20, 2010 at 10:41 am

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2010/10/01/amazing-whipped-sweet-potatoes/ Definitely would recommend some of this! Jessica’s a genius!

amy baily December 1, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I’ve sat in the same place all day, not moved except to eat hobnobs and mince pies… we’re snowed in, I’m not sure how long I can take this, its soo boring!
Living in england we don’t celebrate thanks giving :(, but roast dinners we do have a lot of! And ours is..

Pickled Red cabbage,
Pickled onions,
Pickles in general,
Crackers and cheese (plain but a crowd pleaser),
Caramalised carrots and parsnips and ofcourse,
Cheesy and chive mash mmmm
xx