i made a lot of progress on the spare bedroom today.
sure, i may still be in my pajamas from this morning, but progress has been made. that’s what matters.
we are turning it into an office for me slash video game room for marshall, so i would really like to get it organized ASAP. right now, there are piles and piles of paperwork everywhere i turn. i can’t wait to have a desk and some filing cabinets to get everything in order.
well, obviously i can wait.. seeing as how i have been in my house since july.. but you know what i mean.
i took a break from unpacking and made dinner for marshall, nick & myself. nick is vegan, so i had to see what was on hand to whip something up we could all enjoy.
luckily, i had some tofu in the fridge. i pressed it in my tofuXpress and diced it.
i opened the cupboards to see what sauce i could use. i have a never ending stockpile of trader joe’s sauces that i stock up on when in california, so i picked one that was vegan.
truth be told, i’ve had this jar in my cupboard for over a year (well, in a different cupboard, since i have moved twice in the past year)—i never made it because marshall doesn’t like the flavor of coconut milk in thai food (I KNOW, HE IS CLINICALLY INSANE) and that is the main ingredient. i didn’t want to make it for myself, so i was just waiting for a time to make it when there was someone else around to eat it. when marshall agreed that he would eat it, despite the coconut milk, i knew it was time to crack open the jar.
more about the sauce in a minute. back to the tofu. i was originally going to make emily’s coconut crusted tofu, but then i realized i missed the boat on the 2 hour marinating window. instead, i drizzled the tofu with rice vinegar and coated it in unsweetened coconut.
so.. in the end.. it was similar to emily’s—but probably not as awesome. i still have hers on my to-make list!
i baked the tofu at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, turning the cubes every 10 minutes so every side got nice and toasty.
while the tofu was baking, i prepared some trader joe’s brown rice medley.
this stuff is great. it has three different textures (long grain rice, barley and daikon) that all work really well together. highly recommend!
i dumped the curry sauce in a pan along with a couple cups of kirkland (costco)stir fry veggies that i had steamed beforehand.
i let the veggies and sauce simmer until the rice and tofu were done.
then it was time to eat!
this trio worked together fabulously. i was really surprised that the sauce tasted nothing like coconut! marshall was pleasantly surprised as well. it was actually more of a limey, spicy sauce. definitely had a kick.
while i enjoyed the flavor of the sauce, i wasn’t in love.. and neither was marshall. i probably won’t be buying it again for a few reasons:
- we don’t have trader joe’s here. so,when i buy jarred sauces from trader joe’s, it means i am in another state. which means i have to wrap them in bubble tape and pack them in my suitcase, check my luggage and pray they don’t break en route to my house. yes, it is a process, but i am willing to do this for jars of TJ’s products that i really love. i didn’t love this one enough for all that effort.
- not worth the calories. if you think worrying about calories and fat grams and all that is lame, that’s ok. but for me.. well, in some cases, i care. while i don’t count calories, i am calorie conscious. one serving (1/4 cup) of the sauce is 180 calories and 15 grams of fat. i probably ate 1/2 cup of the sauce (because when is 1/4 cup of curry sauce a serving?) if it tasted like one of mama pea’s balls, sure, totally worth it. but really—the sauce didn’t do it for me and i would rather eat something either more delicious or less caloric.
- marshall didn’t love it. if he was crazy about it, i would totally buy it again for him. that boy can eat 9,000 calories a day, so #2 is not an issue for him.
now you know way more than you wanted to regarding my opinion on trader joe’s thai green curry sauce. you’re welcome.
by the way, the tofu was incredible. thanks for the inspiration, emily.
it was nice to cook dinner again! i have been slacking this whole week and haven’t really prepared many meals. i think i am back in cooking-mode, this upcoming week will involve lots of new recipes, i will be sure to share them with you guys!
i will announce the winner of the swag giveaway tomorrow night.. get your entry in while you still can.
1. do calories per serving influence if you will buy a product or not?
2. what was the last new-to-you item that you were less than impressed with?
xo. janetha g.