foodbuzz finale.

by Janetha on November 13, 2010

in meals,moves

pretty sure i am the only blogger that has taken over a WEEK to recap the foodbuzz festival.  but honestly, this week has been so crazy at work and i have been spending my nights with marshall, so it has been nice to take a week off from the every day blogging routine.

for my fourth and final recap of the festival, i am going to ramble about sunday.

starting with this photo:

yes, that’s right, we were all soldies in susan’s boot camp sunday morning.

me, danica, elise, holly, susan (jay joined us, too, he was camera shy Winking smile)

we hit the hotel gym and susan guided us through the following routine:

warm up

• 30 seconds march in place
  • 30 seconds high knees
  • 30 seconds butt kicks
  • 30 seconds jumping jacks
  • repeat 4 times for a total of 1o minutes

circuit 1: three times through

• 20 body weight squats
  • push ups to failure
  • tricep bench dips to failure

circuit 2: three times through

• reverse lunge with kick x 15 each leg
  • plank with leg raises (1 minute)
  • diagonal woodchopper w/ 10# weight x 15 each side

cool down

holly kicked my ass with some yoga stretches (P.S. i have never done yoga).. my hamstrings are still sore from her pulling my hips into downward dog. i was not built for that position, sorry marshall. (too far?)IMG_0115

i fail at yoga.

after our intensd workout, we packed our bags and gave the presidential suite a wave goodbye, then walked to the drake hotel for the foodbuzz farewell brunch.

the brunch was sponsored by nature’s pride bread, so almost every item on the menu involved bread in some way.

the food wasn’t really anything to ramble about.. i had some fruit, a small yogurt/granola parfait, a frittata, some random circle grilled cheese looking thing and some french toast. it was all a little “meh”…IMG_2177

i didn’t spend much time eating, i realized holly and i are both in the quick eater club.. our plates were cleared in the blink of an eye! we spent the rest of the time guzzling too much coffee and saying goodbyes Sad smile

me, holly, michelle & gina

julia & me.. looove that lady!

blog friends = real friends— danica, elise & tiffIMG_2189

my sister from another mister, teri <3 (p.s. teri, you have the best fashion sense.)

a mama pea sandwich! me, mama pea & allie

one of my new favorites! kaitlin IMG_2193

A BOO SANDWICH! what dreams are made of. amanda, me, andyIMG_2194

me, sophia & susan—two ladies who i have been following since the beginning of time SmileIMG_2195

and just because susan and i realized we didn’t have a solo shot.. it was mandatory. susan is my long lost sister who lives in canada, where i am not allowed. i am so glad she decided to come to california, otherwise i don’t know when we ever would have met face to face SmileIMG_2196

and last, but not least, me with my 5 favorites—the roomies. best roomies ever!

okay, okay.. i realize that was photo overkill Winking smile

after saying our goodbyes, danica & jay dropped me off at BART and i made my way back to my sisters where i hung out for a couple hours before heading back to the SLC.

whew.

and now i am laying on my couch, with my dogs, wondering if it was just a week ago that all this excitement was happening. what a whirlwind.

thank you foodbuzz, for the most perfect weekend EVER. i can’t wait until next year!

regularly scheduled blogging will resume monday—i have a birthday party to get to.

1. can you touch your toes? i cannot. never have been able to. what is wrong with me?!

2. i feel a little out of the loop! what are you up to this weekend? i went to the dredg & circa survive show last night, went to my SIL’s bridal shower today, going to a birthday party tonight and can’t wait to RELAX tomorrow.

Erika November 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Love the pictures! Susan’s workout sounds tough, but fun at the same time. It must be fun to meet the people behind blogs. :-)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger November 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm

HAHA! Janetha, I’m proud of you for trying yoga! I never tried it until this year either. DOH! I like it, but only do it on occasion, but it is so so so good to help with flexibility…so you can touch your toes and all! ;)

I *can* touch my toes, but I’ve lost soooooo much flexibility over the years and am really focusing on stretching and gaining it back so that I can compete in the Fitness category in Spring 2011. Those girls have to be strong and flexible to hit so many different (and rather unusual) poses HA! I think yoga will help out with that so I’m going to try to do it at least once a week (we’ll see how that goes…)

Susan November 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Awww, these pictures made me saaaaad!!! Boohoo, I miss everyone already :(

Okay. The touching toes thing. It all has to do with hamstring flexibility. I had this yoga instructor once that made us really concentrate on contracting our thigh muscles and then folding forward. I swear I gained at least two inches of reach just by using those thigh muscles. I’ll show it to you when we hang out again (!!) cause it totally changed my flexibility.

Hope you’re having a rad weekend!! xo

eatingmachine November 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm

i can touch my whole hand down on the ground. but i cannot for the life of me put my legs any higher than hips-i have the tightest hamstrings on earth. i used to dance 4 days a week and even then stretching on the barre? my leg was bent.

my body is weird. i’ve come to terms.

Heather November 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Ugh, I have NEVER been able to touch my toes! I used to try to say it was because of my height…and just pretend that no one would notice my proportionally long arms to go with my legs! I haven’t worked out in a while due to a bad ankle sprain about 1 1/2 months ago, but I was feeling like I was really starting to gain some flexibility…I was thisclose to touching them a few times! ;) Hopefully, when I finish with my physical therapy, I can get back to where I was. I so miss a good run! :(

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 13, 2010 at 7:50 pm

“i fail at yoga.”–
PLEASE dont say that!!!!!

Any yoga is good. You will improve with time. Please work at it! Dont not do it.

Yoga has taught me that the things I resisted or that were the hardest for me (both in yoga and in life)…that’s what my mind, body, and soul REALLY need. i.e. meditation, stillness, quietness, giving up gluten, starting weight lifting, etc.

None of those things were easy for me but yoga showed me that I needed them in my life.

You will be able to touch your toes in no time. Your downward dog, relax your shoulders, drop your head and neck, walk your feet in 6-8 inches. That’s your online (unsolicited) yoga teacher advice and that will make it wayyyy easier on you to hold downward dog!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 13, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Yoga makes me super sore too! I wish I had gone to the bootcamp with you ladies. Lord knows I need it!

Love the boo sandwich!

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com November 13, 2010 at 8:01 pm

If this goes to spam I am going to be pissed ha:) Love the work out pics!! I love the circuit Susan had you doing! Have fun at your birthday party! Not too much this weekend just making dinner and watching the office, we are boring this weekend! Can’t wait for the Monday regular posting!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I can touch my toes. I am actually really flexible, but I never stretch anymore, which is terrible. I love when I do yoga and feel the stretches. Clearly I am doing NOTHING… reading blogs on a Saturday night = social FAIL! ;)

BIOCHEMISTA November 13, 2010 at 8:18 pm

1) That’s amazing that you did bootcamp at Foodbuzz. I did a run with some other gals but how creative and FUN is a bootcamp?!?

2) I also justttt posted my re-cap. Better late than never, right?? ;)

Jessie November 13, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I haven’t done a single Foodbuzz recap yet! I know I need to get to it, but I have been busy.

Erica D November 13, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I can touch my toes, but it’s easiest when I’ve just worked out. I can fake it when prompted out of the blue, but ouch! If you try yoga, it’ll come so easily right afterwards. Promise!

I’m home with the fam for the weekend, enjoying cooking, taking long walks, and giving embarrassingly accurate recitations of scenes from Lord of the Rings movies. I’m playing tennis with my Dad bright and early tomorrow morning, but I could go for some bootcamp too!

Mama Pea November 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm

ATTACK OF THE 50 FT. PEA!!!!!

Emilyeatsclean November 13, 2010 at 9:40 pm

The Foodbuzz Festival looks like it was a lot of fun! Hopefully someday I will make it to a blogging festival. The bootcamp looks and sounds like it was pretty intense….kudos to you all for working out during such a crazy weekend!

cbrady3 November 13, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I was NEVER flexible and couldn’t touch my toes, and I realized it was because I didn’t stretch!! Now I am obsessed with stretching (yoga helps a ton!!) and am way more limber:)

I’m at Notre Dame this weekend!! Pulled a reverse surprise on my boyfriend for the football game. It was fun

edenseats November 13, 2010 at 11:39 pm

How do I not have a picture with you!? Dont fret, there were so many people I didn’t even get a chance to talk to. next year hopefully, unless I totally creep you out by then.
I dont know if I told you this, maybe I did a while back in an email, but you were one of the first people that inspired me to blog. I’m not trying to get all mushy on you, but it was a bit of a “star siting” to see you.
Any kind of “sandwich” with you in it is bound to be an awesome one!
We actually had a little mini blogger meetup with weekend! I know, we just couldn’t be apart for so long! The company of blogger friends is addictive.

And Janetha, I am a yoga instructor and I CANT TOUCH MY TOES! I blame it on my years being a runner and short muscles. Yoga is totally not about flexibility. I am more flexible, but I’ve come to accept that a human pretzel I will NOT be! Have a good rest of the weekend!

Angharad November 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm

No. I have never been able to touch my toes. Knees if I’m lucky. Shins if I’m crazy lucky.

I completely fail at yoga but I also love.it. It’s my fave.

Nicole C November 14, 2010 at 12:34 am

pre workout toe touch, not so much. post workout, yes.

today i spent some time crafting up some farm animal cupcakes for a 1 year olds bday. super cute!! i should open a bakery, im getting tired of disappointing people when i say no i dont own my own business. red velvet were the specialty tonight.

movesnmunchies November 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

wow what a workout! must have been fun to do it with all the girls!

Mimi November 14, 2010 at 3:14 am

I can touch my toes…as long as my legs are suitably splayed! My yoga skills suck–during downward dog, I can’t put my heels flat!

Hehe, y’all’s workout looks fun. Totally agree on the meh French toast. The humble bacon and fruit owned the menu.

MelissaNibbles November 14, 2010 at 5:05 am

I’ve always been able to touch my toes. Even when I couldn’t see them…
I hate yoga.

greensandjeans November 14, 2010 at 6:31 am

I have take a couple of yoga classes and you know what? It is just not for me. Glad to see someone else in the same boat! :)

Denise November 14, 2010 at 6:54 am

I just started following you. What a fun blog! Your moves and your meals are inspirational. I am just starting body for life (Friday the 12th). So far,so good. I actually hi-jacked your Jamaican bikini challenge format ( thanks bunches, by the way!) and it is SUPER helpful

Many Many Thanks!

Denise November 14, 2010 at 6:56 am

As a post script : I can touch my toes, BUT …..YOGA is really not for me. All of that deep breathing puts me to sleep! It is embarrasing!!!!! Poeple keep telling me to try a hot fast yoga and I will feel different, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

quietisthenewloud November 14, 2010 at 8:11 am

“I was not built for that position. sorry marshall.” hahahaha. hilarious.

I’m naturally flexible, but I STILL hate yoga. I do it for p90x though, because without it my muscles get really tight and uncomfortable. it definitely prevents soreness.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) November 14, 2010 at 8:49 am

That downward dog quote made me seriously LOL. And I can touch my toes… but not for the longest time. I do lots of yoga to be able to do it- and when I stop, I can’t anymore! But don’t worry, you’re not the only one- my hubby was a hockey goalie for years and a wrestler all through hs/college (very flexibility-dependant sports) and he can’t come close to touching his toes!!

Lets see… this weekend I went to the market with the hus, ate fresh piergoies for dinner, went to see Due Date (hilarious), ate copious amounts of popcorn and today we are going to brunch and dinner with his grandma!

But your weekend sounds way cooler, haha.

xo

julie November 14, 2010 at 8:53 am

i’m gonna say a prayer that the gods find me a free plane ticket for next year haha

ugh i’ve been battling a sickness all weekend damn the van (my dad gave it to me) and i reallly wish i could taste my breakfast right now!

Pure2raw twins November 14, 2010 at 9:02 am

Love your recaps!! Looks like so much fun especially that boot camp :)
Glad you got to meet my twin sister and had such a great time! Hopefully we can meet soon!

Yes I can touch my toes but I am not flexible. I need to do more yoga than I do,LOL

~Lori

Christin@purplebirdblog November 14, 2010 at 10:11 am

I used to feel the same way about yoga, but it is truly changing my life these days. I have never been able to touch my toes either until recently, and that is all thanks to yoga! I have also been able to lengthen my muscles… and holy hell arm toning. I mean, I’m still in the losing process, so I’ve got some fat on my arms still, but when I flex I can FEEL THAT SHIZ. It’s making me a better massage therapist too! :)

thedelicateplace November 14, 2010 at 10:27 am

LOL i love how delightfully inappropriate this post is hahaha. boot camp would have kicked my bootie. lunges are the worst! i’m pretty flexible but this is after 2 years of yoga-ing it up. i looked pretty ridiculous when i first started out so all hope is not lost :)

zoe November 14, 2010 at 11:19 am

you don’t suck at yoga — you’re NEW to yoga! you were most definitely made to be in those positions. give it time and a whole lot of patience and see what happens! i didn’t think i could end up in half the positions i’ve ended up in. just nurture that inner yogie and she’ll become far, far more flexible than you ever thought possible :)

(and no, not too far. that was awesome and made me smile and laugh. i love honesty!)

GetHealthyWithHeather November 14, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Looks like a fun group workout! I’m pretty flexible but my husband is not. However when he did p90x and had a day of yoga each week he got so much more flexible – he could touch his toes! It’s just something to work on and it’ll get easier. Promise ;)

Tamizn November 14, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Packing for the big move! x x

Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 14, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Awww…I miss you!!!

Yep, I can touch my toes. Always have been able to. But if you can’t, you HAVE to do yoga! Especially with all the strength training you do, you gotta work on your flexibility girl! :)

This weekend…ate my weight in spaghetti and meatballs at my favorite Italian restaurant in town (which I had to go to after taking a nap and dreaming about pasta…true story). I took Maizey for a run today and now I’m getting ready for friends to come over for fondue night. YUM. Wish YOU were coming!

elise November 14, 2010 at 9:40 pm

oh sh!t…haha THESE were the pics i was scurrred to see. thanks for being nice :) i noticed the neck vein popping one of you got edited out as well – hehe.

Freckled Foodie November 15, 2010 at 7:49 am

i can touch my toes! but it is utterly painful. not flexible AT all.

i’m jelaous of all you girls who got to hang out foodbuzz weekend…even more so than all the food you got to try! :)

love ya girl!

Holly November 15, 2010 at 11:51 am

sniffle. why did foodbuzz have to end? and where do i get copies of all those pictures? i don’t have those!!!! did you add them to the photobucket site?

p.s. teri DOES have the best style.

p.p.s. me and janetha finished our plates a good 10 minutes before everyone else.

Danica November 21, 2010 at 8:31 am

Ehhh, it’s ok, I am probably the only one just now getting started reading foodbuzz recaps :D LOL

Thanks for being my roomie this year again ~ we both had such a blast!

Can’t wait to see ya in a few days ~ xoxo!