will blog for food.

by Janetha on November 10, 2010

in meals

hey there! i have had yet another uneventful day back here in reality, so how about i tell you more about the foodbuzz festival and pretend like i am still there? yeah, sounds like a sweet deal to me.

saturday, after our delicious trip to tartine bakery, we cleaned ourselves up to go to the three foodbuzz breakout sessions. looking at the time, we realized we’d missed the first breakout session. no biggie. i ended up attending the second and third session, which were good.. but after hearing that most people skipped out on the sessions and visited the ferry farmer’s market, i was bummed out just a bit. luckily i visited the market last year, so i’ve experienced the awesomeness, but yeah.. a little remorse about that whole situation.

oh well, onward and upward!

elina, elizabeth, meghan, elise, holly and i walked from the breakout sessions to the next event.image

(source)

next up was the tasting pavilion at the metreon.

imageimage

we were a little eager to start eating (turns out that a cinnamon bun, while delicious, has very little satiety!) and we arrived a bit before the event began. to pass the time, we held a photoshoot on the patio. it was a GORGEOUS, sunshiney day!

elise+her mister

apparently i did NOT get the memo to wear stripes..

susan, elise, me, holly’s hair, holly.

a little dark, but you can still make out me + allie.

mara + me. dark again.

when the clock struck one, it was time to eat. clearly, we were over the moon excited!

upon walking into the pavilion, we were given a wine glass.

clearly this was to be utilized as a popcorn vessel.

there were so many flavors to sample from 479°popcorn, so i had a variety mix!

moving on down the line, holly and i realized things were pretty crowded up front. we made a beeline to the very back, where we found the border grill offering up fish tacos.  the line was minimal, so we snagged a spot. little did we know this was the best decision we made all day, as others ended up waiting up to 45 minutes for a flipping fish taco!

fish face!

image image

fish tacos are one of my favorite things to eat, so i have obviously eaten many-a-fish taco in my day. i can assure you these were top notch!

perfectly soft tortillas, flaky halibut, flavorful but not too spicy salsas and a sprinkle of cilantro & cotija cheese.

i want another.

obviously the tacos induced an immediate need for beer. the two go hand in hand. i was thrilled when i saw the watermelon wheat beer stand.. they had this same beer at last years festival and i LOVED it.

beer out of wine glasses=classy ladies.

after tacos and beer, it was naturally time for dessert! we made a beeline straight for the ghirardelli s’mores table.

s’mores made with ghirardelli TOFFEE chocolate? don’t mind if i do!

here is lynn’s video she made documenting the festival. you can see holly & i devouring our s’mores at minute 3:50—trust me, it is worth watching. holly is HE-larious.

(by the way, lynn, i LOVE that video. nicely done!)

speaking of lynn, she is amazing. so much more so now that i’ve hung out with her in person.

moving on.. i gallivanted around the pavilion for another couple hours, devouring everything i came in contact with. here are a few highlights…

butternut & apple soup with savory shortbread by tyler florence.

i snagged a recipe card for this one, can’t wait to re-create it!

honey basil beer. i love basil!!

imageimage

tiff + holly

brandi’s + andrea’s lactaid smoothies

imageimage

(by the way, brandi, holly & i let the dude know he had your URL wrong!)

enjoyed a pink lemonade cupcake with the lovely teri.

i am a sucker for mini cupcakes.. i ate a total of three: pink lemonade, ginger carrot and cinnamon horchata.

image image

the ginger carrot was my favorite.

guess what?! i tried my very first dried fig, along with LOTS of jarlsberg cheese!

imageimage

i didn’t hate it! it was actually quite tasty.

oh, this was the most DELICIOUS mushroom soup! loved it.

ran into amazing monica.

sampled a few of gina’s goat cheese stuffed meatballs. SO good.

watched tina’s demo on preparing her pumpkin spice parfaits.. she did a great job! imageimage

these were SO tasty!

i devoured this mint chip ice cream from three twins—sure wish we had it in utah, it was incredible. then again, when is ice cream NOT incredible?

witnessed susan eating her VERY FIRST fish taco.. the shame! ;)

and last, but by NO means least, sampled several of annie the baker’s cookies.

after hearing danica rave about them for so long, i was excited to try them myself!

a toffee milk chocolate chip and a peanut butter cookie with mini PB cups~

i want more. in fact, i just may have to make mama pea’s veganized re-creation of these tonight!

i am pretty amazed that i was able to try so much awesome food (and drinks) from such an array of companies JUST because i am a food blogger.  i have to give a big thank you to foodbuzz for arranging such a great afternoon. i will definitely blog for food when this kind of amazingness is involved!!

after stuffing ourselves to the brim with incredible bites of everything, some of us did a little shopping..

(taken inside the puma store)

i, of course, snagged a few puma goods for my mister :)

WHEW. that, my friends, is the end of this recap.

i was originally going to recap saturday day and saturday night in one post. i can see now that was a silly idea. i am sure you are sick of reading by now, if you even made it this far—i will be back again with one more foodbuzz post before getting back to regularly scheduled meals & moves :)

Q~

have you ever been to a tasting event? tell me about it.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) November 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I have not, but it sounds like SO MUCH FUN!

Sounds like you all had a BLAST at FB :D Glad I get to see all the re-caps. *Almost* like I was there ;) -m

purplebirdblog November 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Fish tacos are the bomb dot com.

And I will tell you the same thing I told Mama Pea… if you make those cookie dough balls, you can send some directly to my mouth, kthx. ;)

Erica November 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm

oh my gosh! I have no idea where to begin. watermelon wheat beer ? Sounds so good. I love when they had a slight fruit flavor to beers. The butternut & apple soup and the pumpkin spice parafaits also look out of this world. Such a cool event.

Matt November 10, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I LOVE fish tacos!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices November 10, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I LOVE your fish face picture :)
Made me smile.
& I LOVE your hair. I don’t know if I told you that already, but it is gorgeous..and always looks so perfect!!

inmytummy November 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Man, I wish i could have gone! That looks so good. And watermelon beer? That’s intriguing. Was it sweet?

Di November 10, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I have! Sorta. I went to a grand opening of a restaurant/bar in a nearby town and they gave us appetizer samples and wine samples and things like that. So I tasted stuff, but nothing on the same scale as foodbuzz!

It looks like a blast though…I’m glad you had fun!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 10, 2010 at 7:34 pm

You need to recreate mama pea’s version. I’m telling you, they’re amazing. I had to duct tape the tupperware they’re in shut to make myself think twice before eating a fifth today.

Oh I want to go baaaaaaack!! And WHY didn’t I try any of that ice cream?!

Andrea@WellnessNotes November 10, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Reading the recaps makes me realize that I missed quite a few items at the Tasting Pavilion (not that I didn’t eat enough…). But I REALLY regret not tasting a cupcake or the cookies… And, yes, getting the fish tacos first was a great decision! It seemed like we stood in line forever, and it wasn’t even at its longest yet…

Great photos! I had a great weekend, but seeing your photos makes me wish I had hung out with you guys…

julie November 10, 2010 at 8:10 pm

i have notttt been to a tasting event but i imagine that if i had been to one it would have to be this one.

WAIT i lied. i just lied. i just went to a tasting fundraiser for the town my dad’s shoestore is in. deej van and i had a hot date and i went to town on the local bakery’s italian cookies. rainbow cookies you will have my heart forever and always

Jamie @ Food in Real Life November 10, 2010 at 8:16 pm

This looks like SOOOO much fun! I love the pic by the big Foodbuzz sign! So cute!

lindsay November 10, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I loved that video. Puts everything in perspective! Nice job lynn!

Holly November 10, 2010 at 9:09 pm

sorry my hair is about the biggest dang thing ever.

i still love you.

and yes, let’s move to the west coast. be there this weekend?!?

Susan November 10, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Ssssoo many stripessss.

I need more fish tacos. Asap.

Heart you JG!!!

mom November 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Well of course last Thanksgiving and Christmas – when you cook it is a terrific tasting party!! Love the recap – I almost feel like I was there and hey I have a lot of stripey shirts – can I go next time if I promise to wear stripes!?! xoxo :)

Elizabeth November 10, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I used my wine glass as a popcorn vessel too!! Glad someone else had the right idea. So nice meeting you!

Pure2raw twins November 10, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Aww this is making relive this past weekend. I did not get a chance to try Tina’s smoothie, but I heard great things! Glad you had such a fun time :)
xoxo
~Michelle

Faith November 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm

You drink your beer out of wine glasses, I drink my wine out of beer glasses…hey, whatever works ;)

Stefanie November 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I have never been to a tasting event (well does simply wine tasting count?) but I hope to go to on in the future!!! Foodbuzz looks like it was an amazing time! :)

Maren November 10, 2010 at 11:02 pm

omg Holly is HILARIOUS! that cracks me up! I’ve read 3 other blogs that have made the peanut butter balls and now you are making them too. I will most definitely be making them this weekend!!! So grateful for mama pea’s re-creation! :)

actorsdiet November 10, 2010 at 11:17 pm

*sniff* i miss that pavillion! thanks for the video shout out. i miss you!!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 10, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Why didn’t I find room for a pink lemonade cupcake? CURSES!

I also didn’t have a fish taco. I kind of hate myself. Too much good food, too little time! I was so full by the end. I seriously stretched my stomach out. I’m slowly trying to shrink it back.

Nicole C. November 10, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I have not been to a food tasting event..

BUT you would be a good candidate to go with as long as I had a blindfold so I don’t see what I’m eating hahaha! I haven’t had fish tacos either..I live a sheltered food life.

edenseats November 11, 2010 at 12:37 am

Seriously Janetha, I am so jealous of Holly, Elise, Susan, and Danica for spending so much time with you. And I’m still sad I didn’t get the chance to have a food-gasm at tartine. I do remember going to the cheese factory when i was in culinary school and sampling so many crackers, cheeses, wines, etc that I woke up with a hangover and the stench of brie that would not get off my clothes!

MelissaNibbles November 11, 2010 at 3:26 am

Those ladies prove that stripes are very flattering. I want a striped sweater too!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 11, 2010 at 4:28 am

first raisins in your life, now figs :) you’re moving up the dried fruit rickter scale LOL

fish tacos. nothing says CA like a fish taco!
smores. divine.
mini cupcakes? pink lemonade has 4 year old’s next bday party written all over that flavor :)

Heather November 11, 2010 at 6:30 am

I’ve never had a fish taco either!! It just doesn’t sound very appetizing…… Lol.
What a great time!! And the food????????! Oh my.

elise November 11, 2010 at 8:10 am

hahaha…i love that hollys hair got its own tag.

edenseats November 11, 2010 at 1:43 pm

o, I totally didnt notice that! how funny! It deserves its own blog too I think!

lowandbhold November 11, 2010 at 8:25 am

I looove tasting events like that. You get to try so many foods and flavor combinations that I never would come up with on my own.

Brandi November 11, 2010 at 9:04 am

ha, thanks girls :) I just noticed the URL on another recap yesterday!

SO sad I missed out on the fun this year :(

Naomi(onefitfoodie) November 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm

hahaha that video is too funny! she thought it was a picture not a video! hahaha amazing, I was LOLing at my desk!!

i love your recap! holy food! everything looks so delicious! i wish I went!
I went to a food event 2 weeks ago downtown boston. It was fun but the food was just OKAY nothing amazing! I do love foodie events though! the boston vegetarian food fest last year ROCKED! i loved all the freebies and learning more about the companies thmselves!

marlopnwgirl November 11, 2010 at 1:47 pm

All the pictures look so yummy! Ive never been to a food event like that but i sure want to now! You guys got tons of awesome swag and the food looks AMAZING!

cbrady3 November 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I’ve been eyeing Mama Pea’s version of those cookie dough balls too. The best thing she has ever made? That is a bold statement PeaDaddy.

Shanna, like Banana November 11, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I am so beyond bummed that I couldn’t go to Foodbuzz particularly since I live all of 30 minutes away..grr.

Love all the eats…I heart Jarlsberg cheeeese!

janetha @ meals & moves November 12, 2010 at 11:29 am

You should come next year!!!

glidingcalm November 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm

i took 3 days to read this recap and watch the video. Thanks Janetha! Wish I could have met you IRL too!! somedaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Sweet and Fit November 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm

wow! it looks like there was a TON of food this year too – hopefully this time at the puma store you didn’t loose what you bought Marshall like last year!

Danica November 21, 2010 at 8:21 am

I LOVE the pics of you all with fish faces the most I think then again, I just love all your pics all the time…..

This totally reminds me ~ I have 2 Puma store coupons – want them?