husband soup.

by Janetha on November 3, 2010

in meals

no, i did not chop marshall into bits, cook him into a soup and eat him for dinner.

i am not creepy nor i am a cannibal.

well, actually, i might be a little creepy..

but that’s not the point.

the point is.. marshall made dinner! and marshall doesn’t cook.

he made minestrone soup! in the slow cooker.

i have dubbed this “husband soup”, because it is so simple, even your non-cooking husband can make it.

into the slow cooker:

• 60 oz low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 head green cabbage, shredded
  • two red onions, chopped
  • 1 (12 oz) bag of frozen mixed veggies (peas, green beans, corn & carrots)
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 (29 oz) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • big handful of fresh basil, chopped roughly
  • 1 T tomato, basil & garlic Mrs. Dash
  • 1 T dried oregano
  • ~1 tsp garlic powder
  • ~1 tsp salt
  • ~1 tsp pepper

cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours. 20 minutes before you are ready to eat, toss in 2 cups of dry whole wheat noodles. we did a mix of elbow macaroni and miniature shells.

for protein, brown 1 lb of ground turkey, chicken or beef. toss it into the soup when the noodles are soft. mix well before serving.

i had two slices of seedy garlic bread with my soup. i also topped it with parmesan.IMG_1714

i <3 my owl spoon Smile

this soup was seriously DELICIOUS.

i am so proud of marshall, he really CAN make a delicious dinner when he wants to.

by the way, this recipe makes a TON of soup.. you can freeze it or give a bunch away to your mom, like i did.

thanks to everyone for entering the nayonaise giveaway. by the way, nayonaise doesn’t taste just like mayonnaise.. it is just an alternative to mayo. i wanted to make that clear!

the winner:

congratulations! send me your mailing address and i will have nasoya ship out your coupons Smile

well, i have to go pack for SAN FRANCISCO! i leave straight from work tomorrow so i have to be all packed and ready to go tonight. i can’t wait to see a lot of you at the foodbuzz festival. so excited.

i guess i better do something about this situation…

sorry allie, i don’t think they allow dogs…

1. does your significant other cook or do you do all the cooking? (sorry to those this doesn’t apply to!)

2. are you a last minute packer or are you way ahead of the game?

Kelly November 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm

My husband is a GREAT cook! We often times argue over who gets to make dinner. Typically we do it together. It is such a nice way to hang out together each night.

Jess November 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I’m such a last minute packer. Oh well, I guess that’s fine as long as I don’t forget anything!
Have fun:)

purplebirdblog November 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

1. Alex and I usually cook separately. We both have wacky schedules and he doesn’t always like my weird concoctions, so we usually fend for ourselves. Sometimes he’ll like what I’m making and have some. He’s a great cook, but not the healthiest one. But he did make me a pork chop on Monday for when I got home from class that was baller.

2. I am so last minute it’s not even funny. And I SUCK at packing. Real bad.

kalin November 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm

my husband doesn’t cook. but he does the dishes and i HATE those, so i’m fine with cooking every night

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) November 3, 2010 at 8:30 pm

My husband likes to say that he *used* to know how to cook ;P He says that I never let him in the kitchen… hehe. Control freak much ? lol He does cook for us occasionally. The first meal he made for me as a couple was teryaki (home made?!) salmon, steamed rice and broc. I was VERY impressed!

I always pack last minute… I’m not sure why, but I DREAD packin… and if its a road trip, I like to just throw it all in a luandry basket, bc some how that makes it less ominous ;)

Mr G’s soup sounds YUMMY!

Maren November 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm

We tag-team it sometimes, but I generally do the cooking…if I don’t, he sneaks to mcd’s or bk. Ew. That soup looks delish. Do u think if I added a couple cans of black beans instead of having meat, I should add the black beans at the beginning w/ everything else? I’m not that good at cooking, obviously. :) good luck w/ packing!!!

Marie November 3, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Nathan cooks some but whether I cook or he cooks, he always does the dishes, which I love! ;) He does all the grilling though! :)

We are last minute about EVERYTHING! Have a safe trip! Wish I were going to meet some of you lovely ladies!

Katie November 3, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Maybe I’ll print this husband soup recipe out and place it strategically in the kitchen so Meeker gets a hint. :-) How sweet of Marshall!

Meeker actually does cook for me sometimes. He made me a killer bbq chicken salad on our last anniversary, and one day he randomly made lobster for me! Plus, he’s always in charge of pasta sauces – he has a special knack for seasoning it just right.

I’m a definite last-minute packer!

mom November 3, 2010 at 9:07 pm

This soup was awesome!! Thanks Marshall aka chef and Neef for sharing with us, it has so much flavor and I have a little bit left for lunch tomorrow!

Haha dad cook?? He used to do more but not much now.

I make a lot of lists and sometimes get into packing a day before but mostly the night before!

Have a fun and safe journey to food buzz and hug all of these cute ladies for momma b!! :)
xoxo

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) November 3, 2010 at 9:13 pm

They do they do!!! Bring ze pups!! SEE YA SOOOOOOON!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 3, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Andy always helps me cook, love that guy!

Can’t wait to see you!!!!

I covet your owl spoon!

Erica November 3, 2010 at 9:37 pm

awww- what a guy :) The garlic bread is an amazing finishing touch. Have so much fun on the trip- I=jealous! Josh can cook a few things. He specializes in stir fry and pancakes. I am a wayyyyyy ahead packer. Shocking, I know ;)

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com November 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Way to go Marshall, I am so impressed. We utilized the crock pot today too! Sad you can’t take your pups… they are so cute I am offering to dog watch anytime you need. I am only 30 minutes south of you! I usually cook but every now and then billy will whip out a crazy delicious recipe usually involving steak. I am totally a last minute packer! Have so much fun! I am really jealous.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Hilarious. Our cats climb in our suitcases too. And I have a funny Husband Chicken story. Well, not funny like pee in your pants funny, but ironic. I have a spice rub recipe for ribs that literally everyone I’ve ever made them for goes effing cuuuuuhhhhrazy over- even a guy that was a chef that I didn’t know was a chef. So the spices that go on those ribs can go on anything: salmon, chicken, tofu, whatever. And my girlfriend says that she’s saving the spices so that when a guy comes along that she wants to marry, she uses it and the theory is that he’s supposed to ask for her hand. Hence the name Husband Chicken. I guess I should do a post on it.

Derek is actually a good cook. So sometimes on vacation he’ll cook and it’s really nice for me.

emily November 3, 2010 at 10:04 pm

1. We are more like an executive and sous chef. I plan all of our meals, buy the food, make the exective decisions….but Adam does so much of the prep and chopping that he basically cooks the food!

2. I’ve gotten much better, but I used to be a terrible packer. One time in college my Super Shuttle was picking me up at 5:45, and at 5:40 I was crying and trying to start packing!

On a happy/sad note – I am heartbroken about missing the fbzfest this year but I hope you have a fantabulous time!!!

Stefanie November 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm

That’s awesome that Marshall made dinner!!

In my house, I def. do all the cooking. Sam will bring dinner home if I ask him, so I guess that counts for something. ;) It’s usually Chipotle, so that’s always welcome in my book!

Last minute packer? Guilty! I am usually up super late packing before I leave for a trip. I’m a night owl, so it’s when I do my best work!

Have fun at Foodbuzz!!!! :)

edenseats November 3, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I have no one significant. I’m a certified spinster. I will say this though, I have dated chefs and I really rather not. I dont mind if my man cant cook, infact, I’ll probably feel better about myself.

I am a borderline last minuet packer. I pack before, and then before i leave, I realize i forgot a bunck of stuff and stuff it quick. I always tend to overpack too. I need to learn how to lighten the load.
And youd be surprised how many hotels in sf are pet friendly! bring em! I’ll babysit!
gah! see you like almost tomorrow!

Special K November 3, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I travel on average 2 times a month and have become a great super ahead of time packer….having a little stash for snacks (mints/gum/tea/proteinbars/trailmix, one for carry on toiletries, one of undies and socks. It works for me.

Where can I get that spoon? Would love to do a Gimmie your Stuff Exchange! http://thespecialktreatment.wordpress.com/gimme-your-stuff/

actorsdiet November 4, 2010 at 12:42 am

i still haven’t packed. gotta do that tomorrow. see you soon, janetha!!!

MelissaNibbles November 4, 2010 at 2:49 am

Have fun!

lindsay November 4, 2010 at 4:32 am

My husband makes the most perfect poached eggs. I love it when he makes them for breakfast! But I am still going to send him this recipe. Great job Marshall!

Lauren November 4, 2010 at 4:42 am

Marshall is such a lucky guy! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet November 4, 2010 at 4:48 am

Ummm my husband can cook eggs. Thats about it.
Oh, and boxed pancakes!

Katie November 4, 2010 at 5:40 am

That’s an awesome luggage bag! Where did you get it? :)

eliza November 4, 2010 at 5:54 am

No, I say Ill cook if he does the dishes :) It usually works out fine..

And I am one of those packers who just throws a bunch of stuff in a bag and hopes that they remembered everything… not ideal at all !! haha

Naomi(onefitfoodie) November 4, 2010 at 7:04 am

that DOES Look good and I always top my soup with parm :) something about the bite of the cheese on the hot soup just has me craving more!!! love it!!

Jason does NOT cook anything besides eggs, pancakes and belgium waffles….he tried ONCE that was our second date and that was 2 years ago haha

have SO much fun in SAN FRAN!! how exciting!!

Heather November 4, 2010 at 7:19 am

My husband grills. That’s it. I actually think he can cook just fine, but plays dumb so I’ll do it!! :)
Have fun in San Fran – can’t wait to read/hear all about it!!

kristen November 4, 2010 at 7:21 am

While my boy will happily cook, I tend to make most of our meals. I’m always finding new recipes I want to experiment with! He is always quick to clean up after me. It works out nicely.

I am SO the last minute packer. I’m flying out somewhere next week, and you best believe I’m going to be waiting until the last possible minute to pack (all the while trying to fit a workout in there somewhere). I CAN MAKE IT WORK! :)

Kristen

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) November 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

Have fun in San Fran! SO sad I can’t make it this year :(

Nick has a few good meals he makes every once in a blue moon, but, for the most part I do all the cooking! I mean I know I’m a chef, but I’d love it if he cooked now and then :)

I’m always ahead of the game packing, usually I’m so excited for the trip I can’t wait!

xo

ihearteggs November 4, 2010 at 7:34 am

That looks delish!

Freckled Foodie November 4, 2010 at 8:06 am

i <3 that owl spoon! so cute. have fun at foodbuzz fest. wish i could goooo.

take lots of pictures! :)

runningaroundnormal November 4, 2010 at 8:34 am

Yay for Marshall!
Shane does NOT cook. Ever. I know he has it in him though.
I’m a big pre-packer. I think a huge part of the fun of going on vacay is getting ready for it! haha nerd alert :)

Lew November 4, 2010 at 8:43 am

Ashlee and I just made our first pit stop at the grandparents house on the way to the foodbuzz festival. We are very excited. We look forward to meeting you in San Fransisco!!! Look us up!! Oh by the way we packed homemade jams and butters that we made for the gift exchange.
Twitter
ashandlewplus2

Marg November 4, 2010 at 8:53 am

My boyfriend has been cooking a little lately since I’m getting home so late, but it’s real easy stuff and I try to prep as much as I can. To get him to do the dishes is another thing I’m working on!

I’m so last minute packing! I like how your suitcase (looks likes it) has two compartments on one side.

Have fun!!!

Nicole C November 4, 2010 at 9:54 am

1- I do most of everything around the house which does include cooking. Ben can make a terrific tilapia/halibut bake and is king at making the best burgers ever. I think since his Mom is such a wizard in the kitchen he could’ve learned more.

2 – I’m flying out to California tomorrow afternoon and I haven’t even thought about what to bring. Last minute i am! I’m usually doing laundry at the last second too. I still look at the backpack I brought with me to Europe for 2 weeks and I can’t figure out how I packed it all in there.

I love San Francisco!! Hope you enjoy the time, sights and people!

coffeeandthepaper November 4, 2010 at 10:53 am

Go Marshall! Pretty soon he’ll have his own blog ; ) I kid, I kid.

tj November 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Yikes! You looked creepy, but we all know you are a cutie under all that makeup! :) hehe

Oh man, I wish my BF would whip up a meal like that. I’d even settle for scrambled eggs. lol

Steph November 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm

So while taking my 5 minute vacation for the day via reader surfing, I managed to pick up two new to-do tasks – 1) HEAB meatballs and 2) Husband Soup (maybe I can pawn off the Husband Soup to the BF and pitch it as a MANLY to-do?).

Wish me luck! :) and Safe travels!

GetHealthyWithHeather November 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Way to go Marshall! 98% of the time I’m the cooker but tomorrow jacob’s actually going to make dinner! His good friend just got a crockpot and has been making meals so that got him excited. He got a chili recipe he’s going to make tomorrow from him. Maybe we’ll be splitting the meal making soon :)

fitnesslabrat November 4, 2010 at 2:26 pm

My husband is a scientist and he will make anything out of nothing! We try to share the responsibilities but with school and work it is hard for me to cook as much as I would like.
I posted my first video check it out :)
PS <3 the spoon, you should have a spoon contest!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices November 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Just wondering, did you ever get a name for your owl spoon? :)
And, have a BLAST at FB! Wish I could go. Sounds like soooo much fun.

Amanda @ A Healthy Fascination November 4, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I’m lucky because my boyfriend is an AMAZING cook, but we round each other out in nice ways. He’s a meat genius, whereas I was a vegetarian for years and totally lack his skill with cuts of meat. I love baking and do it often, whereas I’m teaching him baking basics right now. We both love cooking veggies, but do it in different ways. It’s a nice situation!

Have a wonderful weekend at foodbuzz! Can’t wait for the update!

Oh, and PS – I’m a total last minute slacker… I mean packer :-)

cbrady3 November 4, 2010 at 3:36 pm

My boyfriend has just recently gotten into cooking! He made me pancakes while I was visiting, and has been making meatloaf, chicken cattiatore, crock pot dishes, etc. SO PROUD!

Laura (starloz) November 4, 2010 at 4:26 pm

ohhh, i want a slow cooker. it’s such a great idea!

Tamizn November 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Wow your the hottest skeleton I’ve ever seen! ha ha fab outfit xx xx

julie November 4, 2010 at 5:47 pm

gah! your hubby is a genius :) i’m bookmarking this recipe foooo shoooo

thedelicateplace November 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm

have fun at foodbuzz!! my husband cooks all the meat in our household. i’m spoiled :) and i am a total last minute packer because if i start too soon, then i get waaaaaay too excited then boom. tummy ache haha. yep i’m a child.

lowandbhold November 5, 2010 at 7:00 am

That sounds good! I love minestrone! Yay Marshall!

My sig other has cooked for me, and I’ve yet to cook for him so I guess he’s ahead of the game. I need to get on that and make him some meals!

I am so OCD when it comes to packing – usually done a week ahead of time. I’m pretty sure that’s kind of lame, haha.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!! I so wish I was going so I could meet you.

Sheila November 5, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Great recipe

Wendy November 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm

We have those same soup bowls, only they are red! ;-)