flashback friday: halloween.

by Janetha on October 29, 2010

in meals

last night we went to a restaurant i’ve been dying to try for awhile now.

IMG_2021

the atlantic is located on main street between 3rd & 4th south in downtown salt lake city. it’s a really cute place.

IMG_1989 IMG_1993 IMG_2014

marshall had really good (and strong!) coffee.

IMG_1987

kristen ordered some hummus to start. there were whole garbanzo beans hidden in the mix, perfect!

IMG_2005IMG_2007

for dinner, i ordered the chicken kebab with pita.

IMG_2013

it came with feta cheese, chopped tomatoes, tzatziki and a roasted red pepper eggplant spread.

IMG_2012

the chicken was really flavorful. probably one of the best chicken kebabs i have had in my city.

after our meal, we walked to the jazz game. it was a little bit chilly, but i love being able to walk places when we can. utah is not exactly a walking state. most places i go, a car is essential.

i don’t even want to talk about the basketball game. the jazz played horribly and it was pretty pathetic.

enough said.

friday.

because i love to bake and it is halloween weekend, i decided to make some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for my co-workers.

IMG_2033

i have been taking treats into the office a LOT lately.

IMG_2034IMG_2035

i think they hate me. i am gonna make them all fat. i can’t help it, i love to bake!

i incorporated my cookies into my breakfast.

IMG_2037

guess what? today is national oatmeal day!

IMG_2046

this was a bowl of vanilla protein oatmeal topped with mighty maple peanut butter, trader joe’s pumpkin butter & cinnamon.

IMG_2043

then i crumbled a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie over the top. after all, it is cookie friday!

IMG_2044

for lunch, i made a simple turkey sandwich.

IMG_2047

what, you thought you’d get away without seeing my halloween placemat again? yeah, right.

i used sunflower market’s spelt bread (this stuff is amazing.. 40 calories a slice, 8g carb and 2g protein) and topped one side with laughing cow bleu cheese & yellow mustard.

IMG_2048

on the other slice, i layered organic spinach and low sodium organic turkey breast.

IMG_2049

beverage of choice:

IMG_2050

sometimes all you need is a sandwich.

IMG_2051

********************************************************************************************************

flashback friday!

i know i have flashed back to halloween before, but honestly.. what else would i flash back to today? i love halloween and i love dressing up! it is always fun to look back at past costumes. sorry if you remember this from last year ;)

2004: pirate

2005: army girl

1210

that’s kristen up there in the awesome pirate hat!

2006: viking (we made our costumes!) this was by far my favorite costume ever.

5image

2007~greek goddess (made these costumes too) (first halloween w/ marshall!)1615

i love that marshall dressed up with me, he made such a cute greek god!

2008~pin up girl

6 4

1 3

2009: plug & light socket

this was a last minute costume for marshall & i and i didn’t really like it. ohhh well.

imageimageimage

and because i REALLY want to embarrass myself, i went to the trouble of digging up super old photos. not sure of the exact year on these.

2001: indian

scan0009

2000: “volcom princess”

i was obsessed with the brand volcom for a good 10 years. i wore it daily. this was smack dab in the middle of that phase.

scan0010

the back of that shirt said “volcom pricess” and i had a wand with the volcom stone on top.

not sure about the year of the rest of these..

high school & jr. high:

10th grade: greek goddess

a little more modest than the one above, no?

scan0015

i think this was 11th grade? looks like i was really into being a greek goddess…

scan0012 scan0013

11th grade? maybe: umm.. girl with a wig?

scan0014

and last but not least, this was from 8th grade. no idea WHAT our costumes were.. but hey, we went trick or treating and got candy, so whatever.

scan0008

that’s kristen on the right! isn’t she cute?

and that’s that!

this year, marshall and i don’t have a couple’s costume. we each have our own individual costumes.. but you will have to wait and see what they are.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

1. of all the things you have been for halloween, which costume was your favorite? my viking costume was the best. i sometimes miss that era of my life. it was so fun!

2. happy national oatmeal day! do you like oatmeal? how do you cook it? what do you like to put in/on it? i like mine best cooked on the stove with vanilla protein powder, mighty maple peanut butter and bananas.

Erica October 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Dinner last night looks super tasty! How cool that their were whole beans at the bottom of the hummus- yum yum. I like bringing treats into people too. I’m a baking addict. The pumpkin cookies look majorly yummy. You have some AWESOME costumes. My favorite are the vikings & when you guys were a socket and plug. My favorite costume is when Josh and I dressed up as a double dare team. I am lame and do my oatmeal in the microwave ;) I put in brown sugar or honey, berries and coconut

Jessica @ How Sweet October 29, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Hahah you had some awesome costumes. Do you have any idea how long it would take for me to find pics like these in my parents house and scan them? We are so unorganized!
My favorite costume was either a mermaid or a “rock star,” which I was all the time since I got to wear a hot pink, glittery wig.

purplebirdblog October 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I absolutely adore Marshall’s Shake costume!!!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) October 29, 2010 at 4:18 pm

hahaah omg I am LOVING your costumes! i saw that plug and outlet costume on a website and its hilarious! you and marshall pull it off PERFECTLY!!!

I love your little halloween trinkets and decorations like the placemat! :)

cookie in your oats–amazing idea, you rock and I love yoU!

Kelly October 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Oh I LOVE Halloween! My favorite costumer ever was when I was like 10 and I went as a punk rocker! My mom made me this sequin mini skirt and I had hot pink leopard print tights with a sparkle wig…it was fun!! I am gonna have to find pictures now!! How fun!

As for oatmeal…I like mine slightly undercooked because I like it a little chewy…steel cuts are the best for that! Then for toppings…anything goes in my book!

LC October 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm

The pinup girl one is SO CUTE! I love how you tied your hair up in the bandana. Might need to snag that one some day.

My favorite was senior year in college when my friends and I were all shooting stars. We made big huge stars, put that glittery christmasy star stuff in our hair, and shot people with water guns all night. They almost kicked me out of the bar for dousing the bartender. Props are the best part.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 29, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I wish I worked with you. I would be all over those cookies. YUM.

I love the Viking costume too. It’s awesome! I’m not even officially dressing up this year. I’m lame. I wore my nerdy Harry Potter stuff to school today but I wore that last year so it hardly counts.

The pin up girl costume is awesome! :)

That blue wig looks good on you!

My favorite costume ever was being a Spice Girl. I need to find pictures!

1970kikiproject October 29, 2010 at 4:29 pm

great costumes! love the variety over the years!
my fave costume ever was when i was a gypsy. wore a fancy old dress of my mom’s, nail polish, wig, make up…all my favourite things – think i was about 10 or 11.
oatmeal: not runny and drizzled with peanut butter. plain n simple.
looking forward to seeing your costume for this year, janetha!

Sofia October 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Love the Halloween flashback! I also love the group costume thing- definitely makes the night more fun!

Atlantic looks yum. Might be going to salt lake in march if I can tag along on the boyfriend’s business trip ;) might have to add that to my list!

My favorite costume was certainly the jester dress and shoes that my mom made for me when I was… Oh, eleven maybe? The fact that she had sewn it made it super original and special.

Me and oatmeal are on a break. Like, a year long break. I ate it every morning for so long until I finally got sick of it! I’m not much of a breakfast person anyway- gimme a bowl of cereal, fruit and peanut butter or a yogurt and I’m solid.

Stefanie October 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I love the pin-up girl costume! So cute. Well really, they’re all cute!

I have yet to open up my TJ’s pumpkin butter, it’s just sitting it in my pantry! But those oats make me want to open it right now!

Have a great weekend! :)

Meg October 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I love the pin-up girl the best! SO cute! I was Tinkerbell for 3 years in a row as a little kid. I can’t decide if I’m going to dress up this year, but if I did, I’d choose Kesha or a nerd. I always like goofy/weird things.

Nicole C. October 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I don’t really have a fav costume but my zombie costume from last year was pretty legit so I will go with that! I may be a detective this year, not sure..I’m going to have to raid my closet. i do the pin up hair style often as it is but Ben loves that look!

I do like oatmeal and I have been making the quick 1 minute oats in the microwave with some brown sugar or lately it’s been with some huckleberry jam I picked up in Montana. I found airport security by saying it’s only 4 oz.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I loved your Viking costume, too! I liked my Indian costume.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) October 29, 2010 at 5:41 pm

your costumes all look great! I was a Viking way back in grade school, but I loved the costume too :) My favorite was probably the year I was a birthday present haha…or when my husband and I were Danny & Sandy from Grease! He wasn’t as pumped about that as I was (I was end of the movie Sandy btw)

ps. the cookies for your co workers should make up for the burnt oats, right? ;)

BroccoliHut October 29, 2010 at 6:23 pm

The Atlantic looks like such a cool restaurant–love the decor!

Laura @ Starloz October 29, 2010 at 6:47 pm

i cant believe we dont celebrate halloween here, it looks like so much fun!

great flashback J

Mel October 29, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Restaurant looks great :-)

LOVE the Halloween flashbacks!

I adore oatmeal, it’s up there with mushrooms, cottage cheese, feta, and pumpkin. Yeah, I actually think it’s above all of that. I eat it almost every morning.
I didn’t always eat oatmeal, and before WW, it was always the instant prepackaged stuff, now I rarely eat instant, and when I do it’s usually in a pinch. Oatmeal is a perfect food for me, so versitile

kristastes October 29, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Hahahah, LOVE the flashback pics. I may have to steal your greek goddess idea if I don’t find a costume by tomorrow night! :) My favorite costume (or most memorable) was when my best friend and I dressed up as ‘barbershop quartet’ except it was just the two of us. We wore our marching band pants because they had HUGE white suspenders, paired with the ugliest red and white striped shirts ever that we found at goodwill. People kept asking us to sing for them when we were trick or treating bahaha!

Jennie October 29, 2010 at 8:39 pm

My favorite costume was 5th grade, saloon girl and a couple of years ago, tooth fairy. Caught the game last night, GO SUNS! :)

Heidi October 29, 2010 at 9:17 pm

The Pin-Up Girl is the best! You look stunning!
I had a ton of homemade costumes growing up, thanks to a crafty mom. She made this beautiful peach genie costume for me one year. It was far too cold to wear it as-is, so I had to put a turtleneck and tights on under it. It would have been so much cuter without!

I unknowingly celebrated Oatmeal Day with my breakfast – custard oats with blueberries and strawberry syrup. I always add fruit – blueberries or peaches rank in the top!

edenseats October 29, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I love the pin up one! and marshall does make a greek god
I did this flashback too! I think I did a very nice caesar salad costume!

Oatmeal? honestly not a fan (food blog god are not happy with me). But i like it in cookies! oatmeal chocolate chip! and in granola bars! any form besides the mushy oats in the morning.

PS love the festive place mats!

zoe October 29, 2010 at 9:32 pm

love these photos! and i love that marshall was shake from aqua teen hunger force!!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 30, 2010 at 3:28 am

i actually DO remember part of the costumes from last year…what a surreal memory, i remember reading this on hween last year from phoenix (and hating it there!) but loving your post :)

best thing i was….a devil or a pirate. both hottified, both with PLENTY of stories that ensued. One was in Myrtle Beach, the other in the Castro in San Fran…me and 10,000 of my closest friends partying in the streets. Oh my. Stories galore. :)

Allie Finch October 30, 2010 at 7:43 am

oh my goodness how cute are you all dressed up. i love the greek goddess…& pinup girl! woowoo. My best is too dress up as a couple, because I love themes. A couple years ago, Dave & I were “archeologists” — he, Indiana Jones [hat, whip & all!]; me, Laura Croft [I even had leg holsters with two [airsoft]desert eagles] — so fun!
I am loving my oats made with tea in the morning. Adds a nice, subtle zing.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) October 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

love the costumes!

i was a beer girl one year, that was a cute costume. i was also an oompa loompa once… epic. i’m so short it was perfect.

this year i’m going to be a hippie. i’m meh about it, but it was a cheap costume!

and…i love oats. especially oats with pumpkin, almond milk, pumpkin pie spice, banana and sunflower & pumpkin buttters on top. mmmmm.

xo
Kris

Katie October 30, 2010 at 11:45 am

HA I love the viking! So funny… I should have done that while I was living in Minnesota!

I’m the same with baked goods… I love to bake, but don’t like to have 4259 different cookies and breads and cakes around the house. So, my friends and coworkers get them!

Pure2raw twins October 30, 2010 at 2:57 pm

haha love the halloween flashbacks!!

We made some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies a few weeks, which this reminds me I need to make them again soon!!!

Katie October 31, 2010 at 7:36 am

I loved all you flashing back! I wish I had documentation of all the dumb things I’ve been for Halloween. I was a pirate once, and I made my own costume for like $5 from the thrift store – it was my favorite ever.

And I don’t like oatmeal because it leaves me hungrier than I was before I ate it…I know, it’s weird.

elise October 31, 2010 at 9:57 am

these were soooo cute…i love the socket & plug one. haha. and the HS greek toga look. you were definitely not so much into that one.

now, about this spelt bread biznasss…

lowandbhold November 1, 2010 at 7:27 am

I wouldn’t hate you for all the treats. Yum!

I rarely dress up for Halloween, but I was Michael Jackson one year. That was pretty sweet, haha.

Love oatmeal! Think I’m gonna go have some right now, even though it’s not National Oatmeal Day anymore.

Jacque November 1, 2010 at 11:36 am

Ok…I love your blog. My husband and I live in California and we have been trying to eat way healthier. A few months ago my friend Candice (Hale) Bement started her blog. Well, i eventually found my way to your blog.

But today I died Laughing at your blog…As I was looking at your post of Past Halloween’s i was scrolling down and found your picture of your 10th grade dance. You are in the picture with My Husband, Mike…Ha Ha. I don’t think I have ever seen this picture of him, oh he looks so young!

Anyways, thank you for your blog and for that great laugh.

Jazmin September 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

You are soooo creative!

I really want to know how you made the viking costumes!!

My favorite of all. :o)