stuffed.

by Janetha on October 25, 2010

in meals,moves

hey guys!

i am sure i have used that title before, but who’s keeping track? not me and certainly not you.

wow, it kind of feels weird to sit down to type a “this is what i did today” post. there was a lot of randomness on the blog the past few days:

i am sitting on the couch with a dog on either side of me and a husband glued to the TV.. gotta love monday night football, eh? me.. not so much. i would rather blog Winking smile

as i expected, today was really busy. i didn’t manage to photograph my first 3 meals, but i will tell you what they were.. just to give you some ideas. i always like hearing what people had for breakfast & lunch—it gives me new ideas.

image_thumb11

breakfast: oatmeal with cinnamon & sugar free maple syrup, 3 egg whites scrambled with cholula hot sauce.

lunch: turkey, laughing cow bleu cheese, spinach, heirloom tomato & mustard sandwich on spelt bread, carrots & celery. and a riesen chocolate candy.

snack: the simply bar: cocoa raspberry, my weight’s worth of dried apple chips that my mom made (YUM)

image_thumb2

cardio day!

i did a body for life style HIIT on the treadmill. i increased the incline with every interval.. it was challenging!

minute # speed MPH incline % RPE:
15-16 7.0 2 7
16-17 7.5 2 8
17-18 8.0 2 9
18-19 8.5 2 10
19-20 4.0 0 6

the end! 2.35 miles.

finished my workout off with 10 minutes of abs and 5 minutes of stretching.

i went home and got to work on dinner…

image_thumb11

this dinner was a tad random, but both marshall & i really loved it!

lower left corner=roasted sweet potatoes & butternut squash. i roasted them together with olive oil and trader joe’s 21 seasoning salute for about an hour at 425 degrees in my clay veggie roaster.

upper right corner=green beans. nothing fancy.. just frozen green beans! i like them plain.

and in the middle, the star of the show=feta & sun dried tomato basil hummus stuffed baked chicken coated in panko bread crumbs, topped with a ridiculously random tomato sauce.

yeah, i know, that chicken has a long name. let’s talk about it. for the sauce, i had about 3/4 cup of jarred marinara in the fridge. i combined that with a diced heirloom tomato and 1/2 cup of my homemade sun dried tomato basil hummus (the same one i used to stuff the chicken). it may sound like a crazy sauce, but it all worked so well together and was DELISH.

i am obsessed with stuffing chicken. you can stuff anything inside a chicken breast and turn an ordinary meal into something extraordinary! if you are wondering how i stuff my chicken, you can refer to this post.

delicious dinner!

***********************************************************************

you all know i am an avid supported of the body for life program. i had success with it myself and i know many others who have had success or are currently following the program. i love it.

long time readers may recall way back in december, i mentioned that i was going to do an interview with body for life grand champion emily alvers. well, yeah, i dropped the ball on that! i was so busy with the whole marriage thing that i let the interview with em slip by the wayside. i have been chatting with her and i am indeed going to do the interview. in case you forgot, this is what em managed to do in 12 weeks:

i am inspired every time is see the comparison. what’s even more inspiring is that she’s maintained her new lifestyle for over two years. she’s amazing!

my request from you is if you have any specific questions to ask emily, please email them to me at mealsandmoves (at) gmail (dot) com.  i have a list of questions i will be asking her regarding her journey in health, but if there are some reader questions, i think that would be fun to throw them into the mix.

well, that’s all from me for tonight! i am going to go try to find something to do while marshall watches the last quarter of this dumb football game…

1. what did you have for dinner?

2. do you like football?

Jessica @ How Sweet October 25, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Wow she looks AWESOME! I can’t wait for that interview!

Taylor October 25, 2010 at 10:01 pm

WOW 12 weeks?!? That’s 3 months – crazy!!! I had stuffed shells florentine with seasoned rice, tarragon butter artichokes, and green beans for dinner. I ate at my works cafeteria ;-) And nope – not a football fan.

Janae Jacobs October 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I had stuffed chicken too!! I stuffed mine with garlic, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. I will have to try your recipe! I am not a football fan… I usually end up baking the whole time or sleeping. I am excited for the interview with Emily Avers. Her transformation is incredible!

actorsdiet October 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm

oh how i loathe football! i grew up in a town obsessed with it. i was a band geek in marching band, and the better the team did, the longer i had to sit in the cold!

Hallie October 25, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I’m trying to like football because my fiance is obsessed. Go Chargers! LOL. Anyway, I’ve been trying to pick a “get fit for the wedding and honeymoon” and I’ve decided to go with Body for Life. I’m super busy with grad school, work, and wedding planning, so I’d ask her what are her tips for following the program having very limited time! I’m hoping BFL works for me because I need to rock it in my dress and in Hawaii :-)

lisaou11 October 25, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I love football and its ok that you dont! I forgive you–we have so much else in common so its all good!

I had some spaghetti–whole wheat noodles, spag sauce with mushrooms and zuchinni with extra lean grass fed ground beef–yum!

ill be emailing you a few questions for emily!

Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat October 26, 2010 at 12:41 am

I’m a hockey fan! For dinner I made some baked sweet potato fries and had some chocolate covered strawberries that a friend brought me from Godiva. Balanced? No. Delicious? YES!

MelissaNibbles October 26, 2010 at 2:24 am

I want to know if she stuck to the plan or added extra cardio, etc, etc…I’ve read a lot of interviews where the winners went off the plan and did a more intense routine. I want to know the real scoop!

Jessica October 26, 2010 at 3:39 am

Wow! I can’t wait to read the interview!! Dinner was grilled salmon, green salad dressed with apple cider vinegar and oil, and roasted beets and sweet potatoes. Football: hate it!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) October 26, 2010 at 4:13 am

amazing! she looks so so great. I love programs that stress woring hard and eating proper fuel like BFL. I can’t wait to read the interview!

Last night I had a craving for red meat! So I got some lean sirloin and cooked it in a wok with some veggies for a steak stirfry! it was DELICIOUS!

That chicken looks so darn good! i love stuffing the breasts with lots of goodies inside. Sometimes the most random ingredients can make the most flavorful dishes!

April October 26, 2010 at 4:19 am

I think i’ve stalked er…I mean know everything about Emily already LOL!

I had turkey meatloaf and asparagus :)

I don’t really like football but it’s tolerable.

Lauren October 26, 2010 at 4:34 am

I know I need to incorporate more protein into my life. Even though I don’t really want to follow a strict plan, I think I could definitely take some of the ideas and concepts of BFL to reach this goal.
Dinner last night = leftovers
LOVE LOVE LOVE football!!!!

lindsay October 26, 2010 at 4:47 am

BFL helped me to get into weight training when I first went to college. I actually lost weight/gained muscle my freshman year and felt great. Love the program! Can’t wait to hear all about her transformation.

Erica October 26, 2010 at 5:21 am

That is a gorgeous dinner! The roasted sweet potatoes & butternut squash look super good. Fancy fancy for a Monday night :) We had french toast for dinner with banana slices. It was fantastic. I’m such a huge breakfast for dinner fan. And I love football (college & pro!)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 26, 2010 at 5:46 am

My dinner was leftovers. I like the idea of your chicken there! Looks great.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 26, 2010 at 6:41 am

Oh my gosh she looks awesome!! So strong!! I think it would be interesting to ask what she thinks the hardest part of maintenance is. I know after awhile healthy habits become second nature, but she must still log some intense workouts!!

Di October 26, 2010 at 6:41 am

I can’t wait to read the interview, she looks great! :)

That chicken sounds good. My dinner was a mess…I don’t really have a whole lot in the house and I haven’t had the chance to go grocery shopping: hummus & feta on a whole wheat pita, crackers and cheddar, garlic bread. ridiculous. my body was craving carbs so it worked, but I NEED to go to the grocery store for some veggies!

I love football. I’m visiting my brother in Austin next weekend and we’re going to spend literally all day Saturday in a bar watching college football. I’m excited! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) October 26, 2010 at 7:02 am

Lets see… last night I ate pasta with sausage, roasted broccoli and red onions and garlic bread. yum!

Your dinner looks FAB… I love stuffed chicken breasts!

and I like football, but I like watching it at the game better than at home!!

xo
Kris

Freckled Foodie October 26, 2010 at 7:24 am

what a transformation! and in SUCH a short time :) how inspiring!

for dinner, i had a sweet potato with justin’s almond butter and a bowl of broccoli slaw with light ragu & grilled chicken + hummus! some of the same components as YOUR dinner :D

sometimes i love football. other days, i’m not in the mood and am easily bored by it!

thedelicateplace October 26, 2010 at 8:07 am

1. dinner time varies for me. it’s usually sometime between 530-7pm
2. omg i hate football. with a passion. i’d rather watch any other sport! my faves are ice hockey, soccer & baseball

Allie October 26, 2010 at 8:08 am

Wow, that will be an interesting interview. I’m excited.
*I would like to know what her turning point was & what her motivation is to maintain her lifestyle. Typical & favorite meals are always nice to hear as well as any “guilty pleasures” & how she maintains balance — or if she’s just super strict.*
Last night was a random dinner combination here as well, but turned out really tasty: spaghetti squash made on the grill topped with sauteed garlic, artichoke heart, fava beans & kalamata olives for good measure.

Marg October 26, 2010 at 8:35 am

Wow, 12 weeks!

I do love football! Last night for dinner I did grilled chicken fingers and a side of whole wheat mac and cheese.

Nicole C. October 26, 2010 at 8:38 am

Last night for dinner was an italian ground turkey ziti casserole.

I do like football but only Sunday football games and I have ‘go to a steelers game’ on my 2010 bucket list. Yeah, that is not going to happen as of right now. Maybe next year.

Oh wanted to tell you I signed up for a Zumba class and then I dropped it. So embarrassing. I thought it was a learning class but it was just the actual one where I kept up as much as possible with the ladies that could be my great grandma rockin out. I signed up for bootcamp instead. What a night!

runningaroundnormal October 26, 2010 at 8:40 am

Hey woman! Can’t wait to read the interview. What a change!! I made an Indian feast for dinner last night with lentils, naan, and basmati rice. Twas delicious.
I try to like football. I pretend to like football. I reaally want to like football! lol

lowandbhold October 26, 2010 at 8:42 am

I looove football, but only college football. NFL is just okay.

That is definitely an amazing transformation! Can’t wait to read the interview.

Jess October 26, 2010 at 9:06 am

I had grilled chicken and veggies:) I like football only if I care about the team that’s playing, ya know? ;)

cbrady3 October 26, 2010 at 10:04 am

INCREDIBLE transformation. I tried BFL one summer and liked the strength I got, but didn’t follow the meal plan :(

I made tuna salad wraps for dinner, using Nayonaise for the first time!

And yes, I love football. But I’m more of a college football fan.

Mama Pea October 26, 2010 at 10:33 am

1. We had Gardein chicken tenders, kale and cornbread. :)

2. Hmm…football. I actually get really anxious watching games because I’m so afraid someone is going to get hurt. I’m so glad I have girls!

I’ll rack my brain for Emily ?s. Happy Tuesday!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm

WOW! Now THAT is inspiration!!!
Dinner looks delicious and that workout rocks!

Jenny October 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm

We had stir fry. Organic chicken, Costco frozen stir veggies, brown rice and Chief Dean’s Hot stir fry sauce. The sauce makes it SO easy to make a yummy meal.

I have to admit, I LOVE football! Between working at a Sports Bar for 8 years and dating a die hard football fan for 6, I decided if I can’t beat ’em, join ’em. I am now a huge Denver Broncos fan (that’s where my dude it from). We go to Denver for a home game every year and snuggle on the couch in our jerseys to watch the games. It is actually fun to have another thing we can do together. I am very competitive by nature, so I REALLY get into the games.

Emily looks AMAZING! I can’t wait to hear the interview. I’ve been thinking about looking into the body for life program when we get engaged. I’m definitely not in wedding dress shape!

Mary (A Merry Life) October 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I love stuffed chicken too, thanks to you. <3

1. Crumbed fish in pita pockets. And an apple.

2. Sometimes. I like college football and going to games, but I'm not a big fan of watching it on TV.

biz319 October 26, 2010 at 4:02 pm

You had me at cholula hot sauce in your oats!

Wow, what a transformation! My question would be – how many hours a day did she have to work out to get like that??!!

julie October 26, 2010 at 5:43 pm

football > blogging.

hahahahaha :) you know i LOVE me some fooozeballllllll!

i love your stuffed chickens! i wish i could stuff fish but i feel like it would just fall apart to pieces. i know deej would love stuffed chix though so i’m gonna make it for her one day!

BroccoliHut October 26, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Love all the colors in that meal!!

Pure2raw twins October 26, 2010 at 8:08 pm

WOW, she is a truly an inspiration for so many!!

I prefer college football over pro! I am a Gator!! ; )

emily October 26, 2010 at 9:03 pm

1. Roasted butternut squash with broccoli, sauteed green peppers and onions, chicken cooked with salsa in the crockpot, and cheese and sour cream. Yes, yum!

2. Am I aloud to say no even if I was a cheerleader? If it helps my case, I was drunk at most of the games anyways ;)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Gosh, is her second pic photoshopped??

I had saffron pasta with a pumpkin red curry sauce and goat cheese.

It sounds fancier than it was…trust me. :-)

Allie Finch October 26, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I LOVE saffron — no matter how simple a dish, it always makes it “fancier” — if I had to choose Just One spice/herb to cook with for the rest of my life, that would be it.

Shannon October 26, 2010 at 10:49 pm

that sauce sounds awesome!! i need to try the hummus in a pasta sauce… don’t know why i haven’t done it before :) it’s my newest salad dressing! i had some leftover ethiopian for dinner tonight, which i need to post about sometime… so behind!

Runeatrepeat October 26, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I’m here waiting for your next post since I read this one this morning and want a double dose of Janetha today :)

janetha November 1, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Hi Janetha from another Janetha in England that makes two of us.