flashback friday: birthday boy.

by Janetha on October 15, 2010

in meals

i woke up today real excited that it was finally the weekend. i know i say that every week, but work has been particularly draining lately and i really need a break.

it is hard to call this weekend a “break”, however, because it is going to be jam packed with shenanigans!

here’s what is on tap:

friday.

• get some cardio in
  • attend my boss’ daughter’s wedding reception
  • grocery store & costco
  • tons and tons of food prep
  • wrap marshall’s birthday gifts

saturday.

• farmers market (last one! tear)
  • birthday brunch with marshall’s family
  • shopping to pick out marshall’s birthday gift (sorry, it’s a surprise)
  • clean the house
  • more food prep
  • marshall’s birthday party!

sunday.

• total body workout
  • birthday dinner (that i am making) for marshall @ my parents’ house

i am already exhausted just typing that out and reading through it. whew!

the majority of today’s eats are really nothing to blog about. and i left a comment on mari’s post today about not blogging about food that i ddin’t deem blog-worthy. her post was actually really great, it was about the pressure of eating something pretty/fancy/etc or doing a specific workout all for the sake of blogging about it. blog pressure. check it out.

oh, but i did really like my lunch. i deem it blog worthy ;)

garbanzos, cottage cheese, diced roasted turkey and ranch seasoning.. with a side of carrots & celery.

ironically, i ate this same cottage cheese combo exactly a year ago. gotta love coincidences.

IMG_1132 IMG_1133

what you don’t see is the riesen candy and piece of hershey’s dark chocolate i ate afterward. yep.. craving chocolate.. you know what that means. sigh.

FLASHBACK FRIDAY!

since it is my sweetie’s 27th birthday tomorrow, i decided to flashback to birthdays of marshall’s past.  i did this same flashback last year, but i think i have gained a handful of readers since then, and the rest of you probably forgot last year’s post, so i am doing it again. i do what i want.

tomorrow will be the fourth birthday marshall has celebrated with little old me. it will also make him my same age again.. he always calls me his cougar since i am older ;)

last year, his 26th, we celebrated at our friends’ house with a BBQ and good, old fashioned hanging out.

i got him puma golf shoes, among other things.

there was a habanero eating contest. i did not participate.

i bought him his fave: tiramisu. i only wish i made something this pretty from scratch.

imageimageimage

hilarious photo!

the year before, his 25th, we celebrated by going to our favorite mexican restaurant, the red iguana, with lots of friends.

image image image image

and then back to marshall’s place for candles and presents.. that year, i got him an array of desserts (including tiramisu!)

randy was a good helper ;)

and i got him some pumas. surprise, surprise!

imageimage

the year before, his 24th, we celebrated with dinner with friends at p.f. chang (which, ironically, he hates now) and then presents at his house.

i got him the DVD “knocked up” because that is the movie we went to on our first date. i was stoked that the DVD came out right before his birthday!

and, guess what else i got him? …pumas! the boy is obsessed.

i actually scoured the internet for months to track down his favorite pair that was discontinued. i think it made him happy.image

that year, i also paid for us to take a trip to vegas for his 24th birthday. it was the first trip we took together! it was tons of fun.

upld 049

upld 053upld 105

upld 026upld 036

three years ago, i honestly didn’t think i would end up marrying this boy. but i sure am glad i did. he’s just perfect. can’t wait to celebrate his 27th with him tomorrow!

well.. sorry to cut out without anything substatial to say.. but i really have a lot to do! i imagine i will be back sunday night. hope you all have a glorious weekend! enjoy yourselves!

1. what do you request for your birthday dessert? cake? pie? something else? i always ask for ice cream cake. love it!

2. what is on tap for you this weekend?

Vanessa October 15, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I scream Ice cream cake for my birthday too! This weekends tap is running as far as I can tomorrow morning, babysitting the best baby in the whole world (my niece) and grocery shopping, and church all day Sunday. Lots of ice cream will be consumed throughout my weekend as well.

Mel October 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm

cuuteee pictures! looks like a fun and busy weekend! maybe more pumas in marshall’s future? :)

my mom’s strawberry cake is legendary and we’ve pretty much been eating it for birthdays for years..mmm.

maria @ Chasing the Now October 15, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I always ask for cheesecake or ice cream cake. Both are winners in my book.

I think I first started checking out your blog about this time last year because I vaguely remember seeing these photos before, but it was a fun second-take!

twobooswhoeat October 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

You two are so adorable together. Loved the flashback friday! I hope you have a great weekend!!!

mmm tiramisu is soo beautiful.

Lauren October 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm

That is so true about not feeling “blog worthy.” Gosh, sometimes I think how much more time I would have back in my life if I didn’t waste extra minutes on making my plates look visually perfect. I can’t even remember what life was like before I cooked without a camera. LoL

Sounds like a busy but wonderful weekend! Enjoy it girl!

PS- My weekend = PACKING! Blah!!

caronae October 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Happy birthday to Marshall! Yay! I always used to have ice cream cakes but haven’t really had one in four years or so since I lived at home. It HAD to be from Baskin Robbin’s too!

Dana @ my little celebration October 15, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Great photos : ) Oh how you spoil your hubby. I think it’s great.

1) I wanted lemon cream cake for my birthday this year. But next year (yes I’ve already thought about it), I’m going for plain old vanilla with butter cream icing.

2) Weekend plans potentially include a movie and time with friends, and definitely church and relaxing : )

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm

just clicked over to mari’s post, read it and commented, and yes, content pressure, what to post or not post, is huge for me. Vegans can be ruthlessly critical of other vegans but everyone can be critical too…but yeah thx for the linky

your weekend sounds fun, albeit tons of work but hey, I know you love to do it or you just wouldnt go all out but you are the BEST about other people’s holidays, I am always amazed by how you go the extra mile :)

For my bday I request PEACE and not wiping anyone’s ass that day. That’s all I request anymore.

Erica October 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm

You are a fabulous wife! I am sure he appreciates all the amazing things you do for him. I bet this weekend is just going to be rocking! I love the shirt hes wearing at last years birthday party haha. I always ask for froyo and tortilla chips for my birthday :) And this weekend- date night tonight, Teaching step and brunch with friend tomorrow, putting on an Oktoberfest party tomorrow night, Sunday= time with my parents.

edenseats October 15, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Yay! I love flashback fridays. Yea, I would have not participated in that habanero eating contest either. Pumpkin eating contest is a different story….

Marshall looks so happy in all is bday pics, I think you know how to make it special for him! I feel like I always have a better time when I’m celebrating someone elses birthday! Weird.

1) my birthday was last week and I made it a point to my dad that I did not want cake and that I wanted full on ice cream (and def not fro yo!)

2) weekend agenda: yoga teacher training school on sat and sun, I gonna get down, dawg! (yea, lame joke)

Mari October 15, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Hey lovely! Thank you so much for linking my post from today…I love all the comments that I am getting from bloggers. It is nice to know that we all feel the pressure in one way or another.

BTW I would love to hang with you and your friends…you all seem so “chill”

BroccoliHut October 15, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Happy birthday to Marshall!
I always request my mom’s spice cake with maple frosting…or some sort of Christmas cake:)

Melissa October 15, 2010 at 7:00 pm

For my birthday, I usually want a vanilla cupcake or cake batter ice cream from Coldstone. Depends on my mood. :) Happy Birthday to your Mr.!!!

Christin L. October 15, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Growing up in my house, my mom always made me a yellow cake with chocolate icing. For her birthday we always had a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake with the World Class Chocolate ice cream, her fave, and very delicious.

This weekend is hanging out with some friends tonight (who are coming to a party in my neighborhood and stopping by after they are nice and toasty, lol), class all day tomorrow, helping my yoga instructor paint her new studio, and homework in-between. Fun, fun!

actorsdiet October 15, 2010 at 7:12 pm

happy bday marshall! i always want a cake for mine but since it’s x-mas eve there’s almost always PIE. my parents are so annoying!

Christie October 15, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I asked for pumpkin pie one year… my birthday is in February. My favorite birthday dessert though is chocolate chip cookie sundae with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Yum!

My Saturday is going to include some time at the fair lunch with the inlaws. Sunday is my lazy day where I have NO plans.

I tried your cottage cheese, garbanzos, and ranch seasoning for lunch today and really liked it! Thanks for resurecting the idea!

coffeeandthepaper October 15, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Love the pics of Randy helping Marshall blow out the candles! I hope he didn’t burn his nose. Can’t wait to read this year’s recap.

My birthday often falls on Thanksgiving, so I usually have pumpkin pie or sweet potato casserole as my birthday dessert!

Texas Gunslinger October 15, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Janetha, you are just so cute! Love all the pics and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Marshall!

On my birthday, I request C-A-K-E or C-U-P-C-A-K-E-S!!! Vanilla with creamy vanilla frosting and lots of decorations! Gosh, I wish it was July again so I could eat CAKE!!!!

This weekend is one of our “low key” weekends. I’m so lookin’ forward to sleepin’ in and snuggling with my Hunk. We miss having zero obligations…until Sunday when I go to a Cathy Savage workout/posing class and then cheer Hubbs on during his soccer game!!

Katie October 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Happy Birthday to Marshall!!! I hope he is feeling all better! I know he will have a wonderful birthday because he has the BEST wife ever!!!!

Icecream cake is what I ALWAYS request for my birthday! yum!!!!!!!

Stefanie October 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I love your cottage cheese and chickpeas combo! I have eaten it a few times since I saw it on your blog! So it is totally blogworthy! :)

MelissaNibbles October 16, 2010 at 5:03 am

Happy Birthday Marshall!

Susan October 16, 2010 at 6:42 am

Happy birthday Marshall!!!!!

I request something different every year for my b-day. Most people around here get ice cream cake from DQ and I don’t like it. Much prefer making something on my own at home! Oh, and this weekend I’m hanging out with my mom and sis <3

Kristie October 16, 2010 at 6:52 am

You guys are the cutest. Happy Birthday Marshall!!! :)

The past couple years I’ve been making my own birthday cake. Hey, I like baking! I’ve been going the carrot cake route but I haven’t had an ice cream cake in AGES, I think that might have to happen in a near future year.

This weekend = working, fam dinner, studying. Hopefully some other excitement will get thrown in there too!

tj October 16, 2010 at 8:04 am

Aaww I love the past b-day celebration pics! Hope you guys have another fabulous one to add to the memories! Oh and it’s a birthday WEEKEND! Whoohoo! :) HAVE FUN!

Natalia Baage October 16, 2010 at 8:32 am

You guys looks so happy! I hope you have another memorable birthday!

homecookedem October 16, 2010 at 8:58 am

I love the picture of Marshall and Randy blowing out the candles!! :)

I almost always ask for a cookie cake – with LOTS of icing!!!!! :)

Have a great weekend!! :)

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices October 16, 2010 at 9:21 am

Happy Birthday to Marshall :D
I always love your flashback fridays!
Hope you both enjoy your weekend…
I’m wondering if he’s getting Pumas this year ;)

Katie October 16, 2010 at 10:27 am

Happy birthday Marshall!!! Ari’s birthday is coming up soon too… gotta get thinking!

My mom usually makes me this delicious chocolate cake with brown sugar icing for my birthday. I didn’t have it this year, so we might have to bust it out for a random dinner!

This weekend I’m working, catching up with friends I haven’t seen in a LONG time, and hanging with the boy.

Jen October 16, 2010 at 11:45 am

You are such a good wife!!! My husband and I are birthday bums, the only people who get special treatment on their birthdays, including cake and presents are our kids. Maybe we should change that ;)

Jen

runningaroundnormal October 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I totally remember this post last year…and all the shoooes :) heheh It’s OK I enjoyed it enough to see it twice;)
Your love for him just beams out of your posts, Janetha – it’s really sweet:)

emily October 16, 2010 at 2:22 pm

1. Key lime pie! Mmmmmmmn.
2. Tons of homework. And tonight I’m going to Fright Night at the local amusement park :)

Happy birthday Marshall!

Shannon October 16, 2010 at 7:21 pm

love this flashback :) hope the birthday boy is feeling better!! i’m doing alot of relaxing this weekend… might be forced, but it’s probably a good thing!

raluca October 17, 2010 at 1:40 am

hi there!
happy b-day to your birthday blog!=)

to all you guys:
i’m sure that many of you guys know sarah from runsarah.com… does anybody know what has been going on since her blog has been marked private for a few months now. also i haven’t seen her commenting on other blogs anymore like she used to. i thought i would be asking here as i remember sarah quite often commenting janetha’s blog. so, does anybody know: is sarah ok? i miss her and her blog:(

raluca October 17, 2010 at 1:41 am

lol, i meant birthday boy of course;)

Sara October 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Aww you guys remind me of my man and I so much! His birthday was just a couple weeks ago and the whole weekend was similarly filled with FOOD haha. He’s also 3 months younger than me and calls me a cougar, too! Pffft! ;P

Wendy November 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Oh! We LOVE Red Iguana!!!! It is the best!