white bean picante dip. and maggie.

by Janetha on October 11, 2010

in meals

I don’t know about you guys, but I grew up eating pace picante sauce.

image[source]

I actually didn’t try any other jarred salsas until I was nearly 20 years old.  in the benson household, we always picked up the pace. and the lynn wilson bean & cheese burritos.. but that is a story for another day.

I was recently sent some pace picante sauce through the foodbuzz tastemaker’s program.  instead of eating it straight up with chips (which is totally delicious and acceptable), I wanted to utilize the salsa in a new, fun way.

I love dips. I am not quite sure what my obsession is with dipping things, but whenever I am asked to bring an appetizer.. it is usually a dip. they are just more fun.

I needed to make an appetizer for saturday night because we had dinner guests but my mushroom stroganoff was taking quite awhile to prepare.  I decided to use the pace picante sauce to make a dip!

this dip has only three ingredients but it tastes like something you would order as an appetizer at a restaurant.

white bean picante dip

• 1 cup pace picante sauce
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1 can (15 oz) white beans
  • vehicles for dipping (tortilla chips, veggies, etc)

this recipe couldn’t be more simple.

puree your beans in a food processor or blender. if you don’t have either of these appliances, you could mash the beans with a fork. you’d end up with a rougher texture, but that’s OK!

combine the picante sauce and cream cheese in a sauce pan over medium heat. IMG_0830

once they are melded together, add the beans and heat through.

garnish with jalepeno (optional) and serve with your dipping vehicles of choice!

IMG_0837IMG_0834

see? super simple, super tasty. it is a dip that is sure to be a hit.  you can serve this dip hot or cold, but I prefer it hot.

my last post was so long that I didn’t have time to talk about maggie. maggie is way too cute not to mention.

here’s the story. my friend danny moved to chicago. he had a rottweiler lab mix, gabby, that needed to be looked after for a short period of time. kristen’s mom agreed to watch her. well, long story short, danny ended up in a situation where he could not take gabby.. so he broke the news that she would have to go to the pound. the pound?! um, no. kristen’s mom wasn’t down for that. she agreed to keep gabby as her very own, but she did decide to change her name to maggie. (she has a friend and her daughter’s name is gabby.)  anyway, kristen’s mom is out of town and so kristen is looking after maggie. and maggie came to dinner saturday night.

at first penny really hated maggie. she was growling and barking at her, even though penny was about 1/4 her size. they were duking it out pretty hardcore.

IMG_0920IMG_0914IMG_0916IMG_0919

oh, by the way, maggie is only 6 months old. I wonder how big she will get?!

randy was just trying to hump maggie the whole time. that dirty old man.

IMG_0918IMG_0915IMG_0917

check out those ears. he is a goon.

anyway, just wanted to share the photos of our new friend. we love maggie and are happy that she gets to come play with the kids!

(yes, the dogs really roughed up the new rug. and yes, it’s already incredibly furry.)

1. what brand of salsa did you grow up with?

2. do you have a pet? tell me about him/her/them.

3. what is your go-to appetizer when asked to bring something to a party?

Jessica @ How Sweet October 11, 2010 at 11:05 am

I am totally a Newman’s salsa girl! I love it.

Nicci October 11, 2010 at 11:10 am

What a great looking dip & peferect with those veggies and chips!

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers October 11, 2010 at 11:11 am

my family was a tostito’s salsa kind of family. now i LOVE the freshly made salsa that i find in the produce section at my grocery store. it’s SO flavorful!

Texas Gunslinger October 11, 2010 at 11:14 am

Oh my goodness- cream cheese!!!! I would LOVE that dip because I LOVE cream cheese! Wow, how easy is that!

I always bring something at least *moderately* healthy to a party- either a fruit or veggie tray. I try to keep it clean, because I know there will be tons of other delectables to munch. I’d feel better about munchin’ on those if I at least had a few veggies first…you know, a mental thang:)

Di October 11, 2010 at 11:15 am

That dip looks great! I may have to give it a shot the next time I host football. :)

I honestly can’t remember what we used for salsa growing up, but now I use Newman’s.

I usually make a dip that has a layer of cream cheese, chili, and shredded cheese. Heat it up and serve w/tortilla chips. SO GOOD.

mng355 October 11, 2010 at 11:17 am

Always sticking to the Hummus! Its my middle eastern roots :D

Erica October 11, 2010 at 11:18 am

What a great dip Janetha! Easy peasy and I bet it is totally delicious. I’m keeping this in mind for football Sundays!!!!!!!!!! Maggie is adorable. What a great puppers play date.

1. what brand of salsa did you grow up with? I think my mom always bought tostitos salsa? Now I buy newmans own or pace.

2. do you have a pet? tell me about him/her/them. ow…I think you know ;)

3. what is your go-to appetizer when asked to bring something to a party? Fruit and fruit dip (my cool whip/yogurt combo) – it is always a hit! Or I bring homemade hummus

runningaroundnormal October 11, 2010 at 11:50 am

I love when you post 3 (few) ingredient recipes!!!
I also love your house. And your dogs. Especially Penelope :D Have a good Monday, friend!!

Maxine October 11, 2010 at 11:50 am

Pace Picante, LOL. The “LOL” is because I hated tomatoes up until recently, and Pace Picante was the ONLY salsa I would eat since there were no “chunks of yucky tomatoes”. My mom quickly learned to only buy Pace Picante and made my favourite meal with it, even during my university days. Your post made me reminisce!!! Now, when I do not make my own using my garden grown tomatoes or tomatillos and herbs, I buy the fresh stuff from Costco.
Have a good day.

Mackenzie October 11, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I grew up on Emerald Valley Medium Salsa and the yummy bean dip, too!

I have a pit bull mix named Lily, and she’s my snug bug. :)

Oh, and for parties… I like to bring really elaborate fruit/veggie trays if I can afford them. They get expensive!

Love Maggie, Randy, and Penny… She’s territorial! :)

Julia October 11, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Yep, now I get the comment :)
I’m glad your dip turned out to be a success! It sounds delish!
Maggie is super cute! And I almost fell off my chair when I read that you were referring to Randy as a dirty old man :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) October 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Oh great dip idea! I definitely need to try that one out for the next event I need to take something snacky to. Love the pup pics. I have 2 cocker spaniels. Love ’em, but they’re nutso! ;-)

actorsdiet October 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm

what a great idea, janetha! i don’t have picante sauce, but now i know what i wanna do with my leftover salsa….

simplyshaka October 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Dip and dog post? Two of my favorite things—love it! I am going to try that dip sometime—anything spicy and cheesy is for me. And it seems like its really quick to make-you go girl. I grew up with Chi Chi’s salsa which I still dig but I like trying all different kinds of salsas.

Um, I think Maggie is going to be a big girl! I have my little Lincoln. We were sitting at the park today people watching and everyone kept asking me if he was a puppy. He can’t help that he is eight lbs and thats the biggest he is going to be. I’m trying to fatten him up but no dice.

edenseats October 11, 2010 at 1:02 pm

what???? maggie is only 6 months old?! holy dog she’s gonna get big!

I had a beautiful german shepherd named milli. She was my first and only dog that we got when I was in second grade. She was with me through everything and I seriously had full on conversatations with her. When my mom passed away when I was 13, I think milli knew, she was one sad dog. Plus, my mom was the only one who would intentionally drop steak on the floor for her to “clean up”.When I went to impatient treatment for my eating disorder when I was 20, my dad came to visit and told me he had to put her down because she was so sick. I was devastated. I know its weird, but I cried harder when I was told that news than when I was told my mom passed. Dont get me wrong, I loved my mom, but I think I was sort of numb when she died, and milli was truly my best friend. sorry to make this comment a sob fest. so I’ll injecting some sarcasm to lighten the mood…

my go to think to bring to a party? I think if your short on time, go white trash and reheat some “bagel bites” or cheese whiz on some ritz. And beer, beer tops it off.

lisaou11 October 11, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I don’t salsa discriminate! I love them all!

but oddly, I’ve never really liked dips and I’m not exactly sure why. I dont think im a big creamy fan.

And maggie—3 dogs can be so hectic and so much fun. and funny about randy humping. Milla will sniff eddies weener and start air humping. no lie.

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) October 11, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I never tried picante sauce, but I *love*, love, *love* the sound of your dip recipe!! I’ll bet it’s super creamy. I’m adding it to my favorite list. :D

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 11, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I’m a Newman’s salsa fan myself. I love the pineapple salsa! So good.

Your dip looks delicious. I’ve had cream cheese and salsa before (or velvetta cheese and salsa) but never with the garbanzos which I love! I know I’d love it.

Andy and I don’t have any pets yet which is so sad. But we live in a one bedroom apartment so I’d feel too guilty. I want to wait until we have a backyard. My parent’s have an irish terrier named Bailey and I LOVE her. I visit her all the time. I need to take pictures.

homecookedem October 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that white bean picante dip looks so amazing!! I really want to make it!! I love all salsas, but my favorite is homemade!!

kellybwell October 11, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I was a Pace Picante girl as well! And I, too, had never had another salsa until I went to college…19?20? LOL Since then I’ve discovered the fresh stuff, and use that mostly…but I still love me some Pace!
Ah…pets. I grew up on a farm with horses, cows, cats, and a dog…I’m a pet kind of girl :) Right now I just have a pup…she’s a rat terrier/shepherd mix, and we rescued her. She’ll be 2 in November!

Mama Pea October 11, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Yum! I also just love to pour the Pace over Tofutti and call it good.

You know way too much about Pea Kitty already, so I’ll spare you.

Go too app is veggies and hummus. So boring. I may try to make my own pita bread this week. Stay tuned.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) October 11, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I grew up with Old El Paso mild or medium.

I have a kitty, her name is Stella and she’s just about a year old. She looks cute, but she’s a devil- she’s part siamese so she NEVER shuts up! But I love her just the same :)

My white bean hummus is always my go-to app! Super easy, and delicious paired with pita chips :)

xo
Kris

coffeeandthepaper October 11, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Maggie is adorbs. I have a dog named Maggie too! When my mom and I moved into our apartment years ago, we gave her to another family with kids. Now we live in a house, but haven’t had the heart to ask for her back yet. We miss her, but it just seems mean to take a pup from two children!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 11, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Growing up, we never had salsa in the house (the horror!?) bc my parents pretty much never fed us Mexican food (which I LOVE)… With that said, Herdez salsa casera is my number one choice for store bought salsa. I really like your recipe for that dip! Sounds so good & I love how easy and quick it is to prepare. SCORE

I have 3 fish (really big African cichilds) that look like salt water fish but aren’t and then I have my cat (we’re not allowed to have dogs where we live) who I have had since 6th grade!! She is my baby :D I freakin’ love that animal. As I type she’s made a bed on my desk so that she can be close to me even when I’m on my computer. She’s 1/2 siamese and tabby… tabby body + siamese markings with light blue eyes. I could go one forever, but I’ll stop ;P

My go to app for a party is either homemade hummus and veggies or homemade salsa and chips. BUT, my favorite app recipe is Giada’s baked caprese on toasts … omg. so good! everyone always loves it.

janetha October 11, 2010 at 10:03 pm

oh that sounds phenomenal, thanks for the link!

Lauren October 11, 2010 at 5:28 pm

This dip sounds great! Why does cream cheese make the best dips. LoL

Laura @ Starloz October 11, 2010 at 5:45 pm

i always bring fruit salad to a party

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 11, 2010 at 6:03 pm

salsa: pace picante all the way!
pets: i’ve had 3 dogs and approximately 10 fish. the dogs were all very cute, but the fish were a bit stupid. we’d wake up in the morning to find them on the floor after having jumped out of their tank. life as a fish must be rough….
go-to app: usually veggies or pitas and hummus, or nachos, with salsa of course!

Katie October 11, 2010 at 7:08 pm

That bean dip looks unbelievable! I grew up with all types of salsa – my dad is a salsa connoisseur, so I got the good stuff. :-)

I have a doggie – Punky, a German Shepherd that is 1.5 years old. And a kitty named Bagheera that is about 3 (I think…when we adopted him, they didn’t really kn0w). He is grey and FAT – but a snuggle bug.

I don’t even really have a go-to appetizer for parties, but I might have to try that bean dip next time!

Carla in Sydney October 11, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Kristen’s Mum is a LEGEND!!! I am so happy that beautiful pup did not have to go to the pound! :-)

Sarah October 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

The POUND?! I’m so glad that amazing person took Maggy in. I have the biggest soft spot for dogs ever! No dog should ever go to the pound. And if they have to go to a shelter, it damn well better be a no-kill one. Whew…got me all riled up for a quick sec.

Your dip looks delicious! I would’ve used fat-free cream cheese instead of regular though. It’s what I do :]

I don’t really remember what kind of salsa used to live in our fridge, but I do remember that my all time favorite salsa is from a restaurant called Chevy’s that we had back in Florida. Not sure if you have them here. SO GOOD! Not too chunky, super spicy, and sorta smoky. Nom.

We have an Alaskan Malamute name Moose! He’s huge, fluffy, and is about 500 times stronger than me. Malamutes can actually pull up to 1,000 pounds. His bark is so much worse than his bite though. Biggest sweetie ever :]

I am not much of a party person, and have never had to bring an appetizer anywhere. But I imagine if I had to bring something, it would probably be a cheese and fruit platter.
Hope you’re having a great week!

janetha October 11, 2010 at 9:57 pm

we should hit up tanner park sometime! (it is a dog park here in SLC)

Allie October 12, 2010 at 7:08 am

We grew up eating my mom’s homemade salsa — she’s really into & amazing at bottling her own stuff.
We have an adorable & SUPER energetic rescue pup, Eisley. Apparently she is an Italian Greyhound [Iggy] & Papillon mix; we call her an “Iggyon”, though Dave says we should go with “Piggy”. She’s awesome — I just love her — I even gave her her own page :P http://aroadmorebalanced.wordpress.com/eisley-walks-with-me/ We should have hit up one of the dog parks while I was still in SLC. bummer.
Your apps look amazing. I usually go with hummus or an artichoke dip or my famous mango salsa [nothing special, but people are always impressed ?? go figure].

Freckled Foodie October 12, 2010 at 8:57 am

that dip looks so good! my aunt used to make one with velveeta & salsa that i was in love with back before i cared about my arteries :)

i’ve got to try this one!

Danica October 12, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Totally ingenious! I LOVE the new spin of chili cheese bean dip! I LOVE Pace Picante still – it’s one of the few jarred salsas I like :)

Bess October 12, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Maggie is one pretty girl!!! So glad she didn’t have to go to the pound. I love that she looks like a lab but has the rottweiler coloring. Love the pics of the puppies playing together!!