hello! how was your monday? it is always rough for me to wake up monday morning, but because i go into work an hour earlier on mondays—the work day seems to fly by! that’s always nice.
yesterday was my friend amber’s birthday. amber is the clearly delusional friend who hates pumpkin and whipped cream. i love her to pieces regardless of this small flaw. to celebrate her birthday, we headed to brunch at market street grill.
i started things off with one of their famous, fresh baked orange cinnamon buns.
i <3 these buns. i am surprised i didn’t eat seven.
i usually get their eggs benedict but i was feeling like a change, so i ordered the signature omelette. i promise it tasted 342 times better than it looks..
MARKET STREET GRILL OMELETTE
Sauteed Onions, Peeled Fresh Tomatoes, Fresh Mushrooms, Green Chili Peppers, With an Ortega Pepper stuffed with Cheddar Cheese and a Broiled Tomato.
the omelette was delicious, but after seeing some of the other plates at the table, i knew i should have got the benedict. that’s what i get for changing it up! at least i still enjoyed my meal and their broiled tomatoes with bread crumbs on top are always my favorite part.
unfortunately, our service was extremely horrible (and the restaurant wasn’t even crowded!) so we were there for almost three whole hours. ridiculous. once we finally paid our bill and got out of there, we drove up the canyon to snowbird ski resort. each year, snowbird hosts an annual oktoberfest festival.
it runs from august to october. i was glad i waited until the tail end of the festival to head up because all the leaves had started to change and it made for gorgeous sight seeing.
while we weren’t in it for the beer or the food like in years past, we still enjoyed the festival and had a great time (and saved a lot of money!)
i bought $25 worth of scentsy scents. i am such a sucker!
thought this sign was funny ;)
good times in the mountains!
i have mentioned more than once that i wanted to go over my october goals. seeing as how it is only the 4th of the month, i think i am still in the clear on doing a beginning-of-the-month-goal-post. so yes, i am finally getting around to it.
truth be told, i haven’t set any goals in a long time. not since before my wedding, in fact. since i am typically such a goal-oriented person, this has been strange for me. while i am enjoying my life as a newlywed, i feel like i have let a lot of things slip away from me in various aspects of life. these aspects include food, fitness, organization, knowledge and the ol’ blog.
while i have been sticking to relatively healthy eating and regular exercise, i feel like goals help me remember to accomplish things i would otherwise slip by the wayside. and it’s no secret that i am a procrastination station.. i have lived in my house for almost 3 months and am still living out of boxes. that has got to go.
i always break my goals into each area in life. here they are:
- drink a gallon of water a day. this used to be something i did without thinking, but i have barely been drinking 48 ounces these days. it’s very important for me to stay hydrated because, as i have mentioned in the past, i suffer from chronic UTIs. if i don’t drink a gallon a day.. well.. it’s not fun.
- eat more protein. my body likes it when i eat a ratio of 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. i have been eating more of a 55/25/20 ratio. this month, i aim to hit the 40/40/20 ratio. when i don’t get enough protein, i end up snacking randomly and unnecessarily. this can lead to me being uncomfortable in my own skin, so i am fixing this issue before it reaches that point.
- remember to take my vitamins! first of all, vitamins are good for me! second of all, i didn’t spend ridiculous amounts of money on quality vitamins for them to sit on the shelf. it’s not hard to take vitamins, but i have the memory of a goldfish. this month, i WILL remember to take them.
- increase mileage. long time readers know that at the beginning of this year, i set a goal to run 400 miles. this is not a lot to some people, but it is a lot to me. according to calculations and the fact that there are 3 months left in the year, i should be 300 miles in.. but i am a little shy of that number. i aim to run a few more miles each week so i can stay on track with my mileage goal.
- be consistent. lately, i have taken over a week off from strength training a specific muscle. when i do that, i get incredibly sore when i finally do work that muscle. i love training my lower body so i always opt for that, and neglect my upper body. i need to be more consistent with my training. this month, i will train each muscle/group at least once a week.
- flipping finish unpacking!! i am sick of living out of boxes. i am sick of two rooms in my house AND my garage being un-usable because they are full. of. boxes. i am SUCH a procrastinator, but i really need to get a grip on this one. i mean, it is going to snow soon enough.. i need to be able to park in the garage! and i would like to have the office and spare bedroom set up. and i would love to finally have a house warming party.. just gotta make that house a little more organized first ;)
- put things away. i will admit it, i am lazy. i take my shoes off and leave them all over the house. instead of hanging my jacket up i throw it on the floor or armchair. i need to put that whole “touch it once” rule into play. this is where you only touch something once and that one time is when you are putting it in the proper place. i am notorious for putting things in piles. i am a pile addict! instead of folding clothes and putting them away, i sort them into “hang up” and “fold” piles. and then the piles sit for days and get mixed up. i will sort through mail and put it in three piles, and then leave the piles there. instead of doing the pile technique, i could just touch it once and put it where it needs to go the first time.
- read a book. i have a couple books i want to read. one is on food and one is on fitness. ideally, i want to read both this month.. but i am going to set a goal to read at least one.
- look into going back to school. this has gone on for far too long. i need to get a grip and get back to class!
- create more meals & moves pages. i blog about new recipes and workouts daily, but i never put them into the proper meals and moves pages. it is so easy to do this at the same time i am publishing my posts.. i should just do it then.
there you have it! my october goals. it may be a lengthy list, but the more goals i have the more chances i have at succeeded at at least one. i kid. i am going to work hard on at least half of them! ;) i will check in with these mid-month. special thanks to my friends susan and monica for always reminding me how good it is to keep a set of goals, even small ones.
well, i would love to stay and ramble, but today is national taco day and marshall is making me his famous tacos for dinner. i love that guy.
check ya later, skaters!
1. do you attend any annual festivals in your town? what are they?
2. what is one of your current goals, large or small?
xo. janetha g.