one hour total body workout + carbonated fro yo?

by Janetha on October 3, 2010

in meals,moves

good morning! or good [insert what time of day it is right now]!

yesterday afternoon, i shook off my pancake coma and decided to hit the gym.

image_thumb2

this workout took a total of an hour exactly and it was a TOTAL total workout.. which means total body and cardio combined. totally. total. yep.  AND it was so fun.

here it is:

1 mile warmup on treadmill (inline 1%)

minute speed (MPH)
0-1 6
1-2 6.3
2-3 6.6
3-4 6.9
4-5 7.2
5-6 7.5
6-7 7.8
7-8 8.1
8-8:28 8.4

i then completed four circuits of three moves each that were done as supersets, three times each before moving onto the next circuit. they key is to rest as little as possible, only if you really need to catch your breath. the moves incorporated all different muscles.. i will note each move.

circuit #1: repeat 3 times

move weight reps muscles worked
bulgarian split squat with dumbbell shoulder press 10# dumbbells 12 each leg quads, hamstrings, glutes & shoulders
stiff legged barbell deadlift to bent over row 40# barbell 12 hamstrings, lower back, upper back
ball crunches holding 10# weight straight up in air 10# plate 24 core, overall arm strength

circuit #2: repeat 3 times

move weight reps muscles worked
bench step up with knee up while holding dumbbells 8# dumbbells 12 each leg, alternating quads, hamstrings & glutes. this also counts as cardio.
lunge with dumbbell biceps curl 10# dumbbells 12 each leg, alternating hamstrings, glutes & biceps
bench tuck crunches body weight 24 core

circuit #3: repeat 3 times

move weight reps muscles worked
wide stance barbell squat (barbell on shoulders) 40# barbell 12 quads, glutes
side linge with upright dumbbell row 10# dumbbells 12 each side, alternating hamstrings, inner thigh, shoulders
elbow to knee crunches on bosu ball body weight 12 each side obliques

circuit #4: repeat 3 times

move weight reps muscles worked
lying butt bridge to dumbbell chest press 10# dumbbells 12 hamstrings, glutes & chest
lying side leg raises body weight 12 each leg glutes, outer thigh
donkey kicks body weight 12 each leg glutes

then i finished up the workout with this 10 minute incline treadmill routine of walking 1 minute, jogging 30 seconds.  my walking pace was 3.0 and running pace 6.0, but yours will probably vary.

set incline to 7.5%

5:30-6 6 jog/run
6-7 3 walk
7-7:30 6 jog/run
7:30-8:30 3 walk
8:30-9 6 jog/run
9-10 3 walk

finish your total workout with 5 minutes of stretching. the end!

this was a REALLY fun workout that incorporated both strength training and cardio.  it hit several muscles and i didn’t get bored. let me know if you try it! it is a very efficient way to get it all done in an hour.

image_thumb11

last night we went to our friends allie & tyler’s for their engagement party slash tyler’s birthday party. good times!

i took homemade hummus & pita chips.

IMG_0338 IMG_0339

there were lots of other delicious appetizers there, including (but not limited to) pickled asparagus with cream cheese wrapped in ham and a couple amazing 7 layer dips.

IMG_0360 IMG_0366

dark photos. my bad.

beverage of choice.

the men prepared a delicious dinner of pineapple glazed chicken wings with cilantro lime rice.

IMG_0370 IMG_0378 IMG_0384

my plate, pardon the flash.

as usual, neal’s chicken was delectable. that boy can cook! and the rice was awesome, too, but it hurt my dumb geographic tongue.

a few party people!

ladies.IMG_0368

“top shelf” gin ;) IMG_0371

anyone wanna kiss the cook? IMG_0372

kristen & michelle with a side of amber’s cute new hairdo. IMG_0374

more ladies. IMG_0389

after the party, we went for self-serve frozen yogurt.

i saw a sign that intrigued me…

come again? carbonated frozen yogurt? not available anywhere else in USA? this i had to try. IMG_0399

i got a bit of vanilla and a bit of carbonated root beer. sprinkled with just a touch of graham cracker, i wanted to get the full effect of the carbonated yogurt.

gotta love the weigh and pay! and yes, marshall’s creation really was as massive as it looks.

his yogurt weighed 22 ounces!

i was happy with my 6 ounces of yogurt.

my thoughts on the carbonated yogurt? well, the warning sign was right.IMG_0396

definite tongue tingle going on! and i really liked it. i think pairing it with the vanilla toned it down a bit. it was good!

i know i keep saying i am going to post my october goals. but when i have amazing workouts and new, crazy foods.. well, the posts just get too long! i am diligently adhering to the goals, hopefully i will have nothing to talk about soon so i can ramble about those ;)

1. do you prefer cardio or strength training? i prefer strength training while it is during the actual workout and going through the motions.. but i prefer the feeling that i get after a good cardio session. do you know what i mean? yesterday’s workout was the best of both worlds!

2. do you like the tart flavors of fro yo (plain, mango, pomegranate, etc) or the classic ones (vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, etc)? usually i get the tart flavors, that is a reason i love fro yo so much! but last night i went for a change because i had to try that carbonated yogurt and tart doesn’t exactly go with root beer, ha. they did have a carbonated mango flavor but it was all out.

Erica October 3, 2010 at 9:51 am

Hey chick. That looks like quite the party. I would sit next to that bowl of hummus all night. Carbonated froyo? I so want to try it. We’re getting a new froyo place in our town at the end of the month and I can hardly wait. I plan to go once a week now that its so close ;) My FAVORITE workouts are half strength half cardio…but if I had to pick one…I’d pick cardio. And I’m a classic vanilla girl

Carbzilla October 3, 2010 at 10:01 am

So did yours taste like a root beer float? I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the concept.

I’m a HUGE tart froyo fanatic (ask SmoothieGirl), but it’s kinda hard to find around here. We just don’t have the weigh-it-yourself places, but maybe that’s a good thing. :)

thedelicateplace October 3, 2010 at 10:03 am

i wonder if pop rocks would be good in that fro yo or if it would just cause a mouth ‘splosion?! yikes. i’m def a classic vanilla girl with a sprinkle of chocolate or nuts on top. as for the exercise ?, well…to be honest i have 5lb barbie bells and lifting my bodyweight in ashtanga yoga is enough strength training for me. i like cardio in small doses where i don’t really feel like i’m exercising (i.e. a nice hike on a trail or biking at the beach)

mom October 3, 2010 at 10:05 am

Wow you are up and goin early today! The girls all look so beautiful, congrats to Allie and Tyler.

I love strength training cardio is like pulling teeth for me ugh!! This is a great work out—still a little tough to walk and I LoVE that! Have a wonderful Sunday in the sunshine for tomorrow it will be gone :( xoxoxo!!

kristastes October 3, 2010 at 10:33 am

Carbonated froyo, WEIRD. I am intrigued!! I will eat any type of froyo or ice cream, I’m not picky!

I LOVE full-body and circuit-esque workouts because I get bored easily with cardio, but obviously we all need it in our life! When I’m lifting, I always try to incorporate some random cardio like jumping rope, sprints, or box jumps to break it up a bit and keep my heart rate up!

actorsdiet October 3, 2010 at 10:38 am

um…i feel like i live in the froyo capitol of the world and i have NEVER seen carbonated frozen yogurt!

April October 3, 2010 at 10:39 am

I prefer cardio. Bet you would have never guessed that huh ;)

I’m a classic girl. Man, I couldn’t tell you the last time I had fro yo. When I go on cruises though I eat everything under the sun so it may have been in April.

janetha October 3, 2010 at 10:38 pm

you like cardio??? since when?! ;)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 3, 2010 at 10:41 am

I’d definitely eat that fro-yo! I need to find a self-serve place and soon… my yogen fruz habit is getting expensive!

I prefer the exhilaration of cardio with the soreness of strength training. Oh, and plain tart fro-yo :)

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) October 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

That party look likes tons of fun and the food looks great! I’ve never heard of carbonated froyo either. I would try it for sure though!

inmytummy October 3, 2010 at 11:11 am

I like both tart and regular frozen yogurts. Frozen yogurt shops are popping up everywhere around here.

shegoesbananas October 3, 2010 at 11:51 am

I absolutely love the endorphins of a good cardio workout, but I’d much rather do strength training. I’ve been taking a total body strength training class once a week & my heart rate stays up the whole 60 minutes so it’s sort of like getting the benefits of both! Still, there’s nothing like a good sweaty HITT sesh.

I feel like I should know this, but what’s up with the geographic tongue?

Take care!

janetha October 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm

you probably shouldn’t know.. nobody really does. i will do a post about it some time, i have been meaning to!

Tamizn October 3, 2010 at 11:52 am

I love both strength and cardio, its all good to me! Love ya dress x x

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 3, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I love, love, love a good cardio/ weight lifting work out (keeping the ole HR above 140/150). I like to keep my heart rate up by not taking any breaks and using lighter weights (going to muscle burn out). I agree, the feeling you get after a great cardio session rocks… so why not put the two together ? I do it all the time. Sometimes you get a few weird looks at the gym.. i.e. ‘why is that chick lifting weights and so out of breath and red?!’ lol but I pay them no mind :)

Took a bike ride with Brian this morning (yay cardio!) and I was pushing the pace?!?! That NEVER, ever has happened before. Must be all those spin classes (and him not doing cardio for the last month lol, but that’s besides the point) :D I know it’s kinda slow, but our pace was about 15mph which is really fast for us (we don’t use clips or fancy gear… and we’re not using the curly handled fast bikes). Love when I see gains in my cardio!

My favorite flavor of froyo is cake batter. 100%! Tis my favorite. If not that… then coconut & chocolate OR chocolate and mint…

janetha October 3, 2010 at 10:42 pm

sounds like an awesome bike ride! good for you!

GetHealthyWithHeather October 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Sounds like an awesome workout! I love that it combines strength plus cardio. Will be doing sometime soon :)

edenseats October 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I totally hear ya on your views of cardio and strength training. I see more results after a good weight training regime, but nothing gets the endorphins going like a good sweaty cardio sesh. I guess I actually prefer yoga over both cardio and strength training. Its exercise for teh mind as well as the body.

I used to be a fro yo addict. Now it sorta give me a tummy ache. But I’, like you and lean towards tart flavors. I cant don’t like my fro yo to be too sweet. But I’m also a sucker for anything chocolate…what girl isnt?

And maybe skip the October goals and see what October unfolds without specific goals in mind. Dare to have a goal to have no goals perhaps?

janetha October 3, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I have the goal post written already…I just keep pushing back publication!

jules524 October 3, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I used to be a cardio addict, but once I started lifting, I fell in love. I’m not big and burly by any means, but I love how strong it makes me feel :)
I’m a traditional gal when it comes to foyo.

simplyshaka October 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Looks like a fun party! I need to figure out something to bring to an upcoming party soon and think I am gonna go with the 7 layer dip-thats always a hit.

Funky stuff on the carbonated fro yo….I kinda want to try it now and see if its like Pop Rocks on my mouth! I like all fro yo flavors but it just depends on if I am in a fruity or rich mood.

I despise cardio and love doing strength training, I think the time passes by more quickly and feel like I am more productive.

kbwood October 3, 2010 at 1:40 pm

WHAT!! that is so freaking COOL!!!! I love love love tart froyo! Carbonated sounds awesome.

that dinner party is ballerrr too!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) October 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I haven’t done total body workouts in ages. I am really thinking about doing those again for some variety. I totally understand what you mean about preferring strength but then liking the feeling post-cardio. Same here. Happy Sunday! Oh, and I love that dress.

Sweet Cheeks October 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm

thanks for the workout idea. I may have to try that! I usually go for the classic fro yos..peanut butter being my favor. I also like plain ol’ classic vanilla. Can’t go wrong!

I totally know the “feeling” you are talking about with cardio…really gets the endorphins going I suppose. I try to have an even mix of both strength and cardio. They both have their own great benefits!

Shannon October 3, 2010 at 4:45 pm

woah, carbonated fro yo?? did the rootbeer and vanilla taste like a rootbeer float? cause now i’m totally craving one… yum.

janetha October 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm

yep that is why i paired it with the vanilla.. JUST like a rootbeer float! it was an incredible duo!

Deb (SmoothieGirl) October 3, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Hi gorgeous! Love this whole post. You make me look like I sit on the couch all day with that workout. I will definitely need to step up my game. I think perhaps I lolligag too much b/c that workout would have taken me 2 hrs.

OK not to be a numbers geek, but Marshall’s Fro Yo was 500+ cals. sigh. Hmm. I wouldn’t have tried it being root beer, but I might have to try my own version of that at home in the SmoothieKitchen. My fave fro yo flavor right now is Red Velvet. What IS red velvet anyway? It’s yellow cake with red dye #5 right? Why do I love it so dang much?! Second choice (actually my first love) is peanut butter.

Funny that you apologized for flashing. And love the photo of the beer with your cute smily face in the background.

HUGS!

Deb (SmoothieGirl) October 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm

NO! I’m wrong- it was 550+. More if he got any low-fat flavors. I’m sure you’re relieved that I came back to clarify ;-)

janetha October 3, 2010 at 8:47 pm

hahaha i love that you came back later with new calculations! did you calculate the fruit as well? i think his flavors were original tart and mango.. which is fat free. does the low fat have more cals? oh and red velvet=chocolate cake with red food dye. i made it from scratch with momma b not too long ago!

love you!

ytotheummy October 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm

cardio, all the way! 8) would probably explain my squirt guns, i mean, arms….

Heather October 3, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I usually do circuit training workouts similar to the one you posted today, only I begin with my cardio and then do my strength training mixed with some jumping jacks. Call me crazy, but I <3 jumping jacks!

I LOVE tart fro-yo! It's a dessert that I don't feel guilty about later because I normally have it with fresh fruit and/or granola whereas when I have the traditional flavors…watch out!! I usually end up with more sweet and chocolatey toppings than I have yogurt!

janetha October 3, 2010 at 8:48 pm

i <3 jumping jacks, too! i love holding 3 or 5 pound weights while doing them.

Hallie October 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm

So. I did your workout today. And I think I have the DOMS not even 12 hours later! And I didn’t even do the whole thing. I cut the cardio at the end and the last circuit because I was running out of time. And I subbed out an exercise here and there so maybe this workout “inspired” mine? Whatever, all I know is according to the HRM I burned 530 calories in an hour. And that was the “short” version! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I can’t do any “one hour workout” actually in an hour. It feels like I’m barely resting but still.

The point is, this workout rocked and these days, I’m loving the full-body strength + cardio circuit style to exercise because I feel like I don’t have time for strength-only gym time anymore. So circuits get and keep the HR up but also provide the benefits of lifting (I hope!).

janetha October 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm

oh i am glad you kicked some butt at your workout! sounds like you got a good one in. i have DOMS right now, too. you aren’t doing anything wrong–people work out at different paces. and from the sounds of it, you got a kick ass workout in. good for you!

Kerry October 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm

that is a monsterous workout Janetha!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 3, 2010 at 11:07 pm

“pickled asparagus with cream cheese wrapped in ham”–
As a child, I hated meat. I still do. However. My childhood bff’s mother made that exact same appetizer but used pickles. And I swear to god, you could probably get me to eat ham and dairy if you made it. That’s the vegan in me talking :) haha!

Seven layer dips always rock.

And party food is always wayyyyy better than what you could make in your own kitchen. well, usually :)

I like cardio to clear my mind and be ALONE. But I don’t actually like the cardio that much. I just do it for other reasons, i.e. mental health break!

But lifting is where it’s at! A year ago, never woulda said that, but now, oh yeah baby!

Kristen October 4, 2010 at 7:23 am

I am absolutely snagging your moves for my workout tonight. I injured my back last year (and again this year) and just stopped lifting. I’m a cardio junkie (to answer your first question), but like you (except reversed) I enjoy how I feel *after* a good lift session.

I was wondering what I’d do tonight before I teach my kickbox class and I will be enjoying your circuit.

Thank you so much for sharing it! :)

Kristen

Freckled Foodie October 4, 2010 at 8:00 am

YUM. I’ll bet that tasted JUST like a rootbeer float! Speaking of which…I need some sugar free vanilla bean & diet root beer…. :D

lizzyj1305 October 4, 2010 at 8:32 am

woohoo for a fun total workout! I loveeee getting in a good mix of cardio and strength…although I can’t like CARDIO is my vice! :)
I realllllyyyyyy want to try the carbonated fro-yo! your combo sounds delicious and almost like a root beer float! nom nom!
my favorite flavor fro-yo is the classics (chocolate, PB, vanilla, and PUMPKIN!)
I hope you have a great monday!
xoxo!

Nic October 4, 2010 at 8:46 am

Thanks for the circuit, I will have to give it a try. I love the variety!

No thank you to the carbonated fro-yo. That’s a little to strange even for my taste! Happy Monday!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) October 4, 2010 at 9:19 am

whoa!! def never seen that before!! carbonated fro yo?? hmm I dont know if I would like that too much I usually like the tart or just plain jane type of flavors and then make it more fun with toppings! i think the best fro yo I ever have had is graham cracker flavor tasti d-lite in NYC omg its heavenly I would crave it like none other!!

thats a killer circuit you got there girl!! work it!

Holly October 4, 2010 at 9:19 am

janetha bean!

oh how i love thee! i just caught myself up on seven posts, and i have to say they were all fabulous. i love the points you brought up about commenting as well as talking about your fast food story – in this crazy world of blogging, it is so wonderful to read things from people like you who are honest, funny and livin’ yo life the way it is meant to be lived. i just read that marie claire magazine article (ya know the one bashing all the food blogs?), and i can honestly say that the reason i read yours is because you inspire me to be happy, funny, enjoy the little things and eat things to feel good.

love you so much – can’t wait to snuggle in san fran. hearts.

cbrady3 October 4, 2010 at 10:57 am

I love doing cardio for the sweat, but love the burn the day after strength!

And I LOVE LOVE tart froyo! I throw in some sample bites of others, but the tart is the perfect base for some sweeter toppings!

Michelle October 4, 2010 at 11:25 am

That workout looks killer! I prefer strength training but love a good cardio session too. So long as I break a sweat, it’s a good workout in my book.

Also, I wanted to thank you for posting that chocolate chip cookie recipe. I made some this weekend and you weren’t kidding, they are the BEST chocolate chip cookies ever.

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:30 am

oh i am glad you made them and enjoyed them! it’s my favorite :)

a taste of health with balance October 4, 2010 at 3:17 pm

i totally agree with the same feelings after lifting and cardio!

Paige @Running Around Normal October 4, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Love that workout. It’s a strength training sandwich! Cardio|lift|cardio :) haha
The party looks like a ton of fun! I’m so jealous you have so many good friends who live so CLOSE! It seems like you guys always have fun a great time, too.
I would totally have tried the carbonated froyo, too :)

julie October 4, 2010 at 5:12 pm

carbonated fro yo sounds funkaaaaay! i think i would like though :) i pretty much like ur anything icecreamalicious haha and apparently so does your hubs with his 22oz! nice marsh ::high five::

jqlee October 4, 2010 at 8:51 pm

woah, that’s fro yo sounds awesome. $0.39 is a good price. ours here is $0.49 – $0.59 cents / ounce.

Runeatrepeat October 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I hate putting things away. I’d rather wash the dirty dishes than put the clean ones away any day. Weird.

justjac October 9, 2010 at 1:38 am

Mmmm, self serve fro yo really is a very brilliant *and dangerous ;)* creation!