hello october & flashback friday.

by Janetha on October 1, 2010

in meals

YO!

can i just say i love you guys?  i enjoyed reading each and every comment on my last post—everybody has great insight on commenting and on blogging in general.  thanks for the fun discussion.  it’s nice to hear your point of view on the matter.

between my fast food post earlier this week and my comments on commenting post yesterday, i think there has been enough serious business lately. i know i said i was going to talk about my october goals today, but i think i will save that post for this weekend.

how about a little mindless fun?!

you guys know i am obsessed with national food holidays.  i talk about them all the time and celebrate them when i can.  i also post the national food of the day on my facebook page

well, october happens to bring lots of holidays when it comes to food. this is valuable information that you all need to know! and i am just the girl to inform you.

OCTOBER IS:

• national eat country ham month
  • national apple month
  • national applejack month
  • national caramel month
  • national chili month
  • national cookie month
  • national dessert month
  • national pickled peppers month
  • national popcorn popping month
  • national pork month
  • national pretzel month
  • national seafood month
  • vegetarian awareness month
  • eat better, eat healthier month

i realize that the fact that it is both eat better, eat healthier month AND national dessert month kind of cross each other out.. but you could always pick a better, healthier dessert!

how about a bowl of greek yogurt, a huge juicy peach, a handful of uncooked oats and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon?

this was my breakfast today, but the whole time i was eating it, i thought it was dessert!

IMG_0270 IMG_0271 IMG_0272

very reminiscent of peach cobbler a la mode.  yum.

FOOD HOLIDAYS BY WEEK IN OCTOBER:

WEEK ONE (October 1-7):

• no salt week
  • national chili week

WEEK TWO (October 8-14):

• american beer week
  • national food bank week
  • national school lunch week
  • national pasta week

WEEK THREE (October 15-21):

• national kraut sandwich week
  • pickled peppers week

WEEK FOUR (October 22-28):

• chicken soup for the soul week

no salt week, eh?  i don’t have a problem with that one.  i actually rarely add salt to my food and don’t like anything that is too salty.  i definitely didn’t add any salt to my lunch!

two leftover green chile chicken enchiladas with mushrooms topped with hot sauce & greek yogurt.

just as good the second time around!

who needs sour cream when you have greek yogurt? seriously, it’s my favorite.

when is national greek yogurt day?!

while i am on the subject of days.. how about i give you the first week of daily holidays?

FOOD HOLIDAYS BY DAY IN OCTOBER:

• october 1: world vegetarian day
  • october 1: national homemade cookies day
  • october 1: pudding season begins (pudding has a season?!)
  • october 2: national fried scallops day
  • october 3: national caramel custard day
  • october 4: national taco day
  • october 4: national vodka day
  • october 4: cinnamon bun day (in sweden)
  • october 5: national apple betty day
  • october 6: national noodle day
  • october 7: national frappe day

i went ahead and celebrated today’s holiday with some fresh, homemade cookies.  i brought them to the office to share!

cookies for everyone!

i love baking.

well, i think that is enough national food holiday talk for one post.  let’s move onto my next item of business:

FLASHBACK FRIDAY!!!

i really didn’t have anything in mind for today’s flashback. i do have a semi-serious flashback on the burner, but like i said.. there has been enough serious business on the blog this week. so i am just flashing back to some fun, goofy photos i had on my hard drive.

enjoy!

2009: underwater cameras are cool

water2

2009: we were in wendover.. the ghetto version of vegas. this is of me and tonje and i am wearing tonje’s pants.  wendover 086

slow dancing with allie in the hotel room.

wendover 072

tonje doesn’t approve.

wendover 074

2006: ear candles are AWESOME. i love them! but they do look silly.

ear

2005 (?): my then boyfriend got locked out of his house. those are my legs.. i climbed into that tiny window! good thing i was small.

untitleds

2009: this isn’t silly as much as it is adorable. it is from when penny was a puppy.. look at her little head! unfortunately, her body grew and her head has since stayed the same size…

tg5

2007: this was NOT funny at the time, but it is now.  i was up the canyon and had to leave my friend’s cabin at 5:30 AM to make it to work on time.. but i was snowed it! my 4runner was completely stuck! the joys of living in utah ;)

snow snow0

2008: smooching a snail in hawaii

snail

2009: marshall in momma b’s reading glasses. it makes me laugh every time.

Photos 041

2007: kareokeing to madonna!

amberbday5

2006: vegas. we filled a whole tub with beer.

vegas 021

side note: my left arm looks so weird without a scar on it!

vegas 022

2010: on my honeymoon.. i spilled a COLD pina colada on me.. my face is ridiculous. oh, and there’s my scar.

well there you have it. totally silly, totally random.

this post didn’t take a lot of effort, but it sure was fun!

i hope you guys all have a spectacular weekend. i’ve got lots planned.. but i will check in to say hello sometime before monday.

1. which national food holidays caught your eye?

2. happy national homemade cookies day! what is your favorite kind of cookie?

Graze With Me October 1, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Pudding season!?!?!?!? SOLD!

Oh and I love Penny – she is adorable. My kitties are the same way, tiny heads and grown-up bodies. They also have around 25 toes… :)

Enjoy the weekend!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 1, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Found a website in my lesson planning i thought you’d like… http://www.brownielocks.com then scroll to the bottom and click “bizarre holidays”

There are even more than you knew?

dmcgirl37 October 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Love the snail smooch!

Dana xo

Erica October 1, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Hi Janetha! How are you? Happy Happy Friday! I hope today was fantastic for you. The cookies look delicious. I love a big fluffy cookie. None of those pancake thin cookies! I bet your coworkers were super excited. I wonder how all these food holidays get started? Like who gets to decide when a national food day is? I’m all about vegetarian awareness month!! And I love pretzels too. Favorite kind of cookie….I like oatmeal chocolate chip & sugar – so good!

Sweet Cheeks October 1, 2010 at 5:45 pm

national taco day? Sounds like a plan to me! How sweet of you to bring your co-workers cookies. I bet they love you!!

I saved the recipe for the inchiladas…they look amazing. Tonight I made the ziti you posted about a few days ago and it rocked!!! I loved how big the servings were…my kinda size. I don’t do small portions, I need volume!

coffeeandthepaper October 1, 2010 at 5:59 pm

See I can always count on you to let me know the important stuff like this.

OMG how much beer did it take to fill that tub!?

Kristie October 1, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I’m clearly going to be doing plenty of food holiday celebrating this month. bring it on! I already got the homemade cookie day covered. And I can definitely swing a month based around desserts… though I’ll try to follow your sound advice of making healthier ones ;) As for fav cookies, lately I’ve been digging the oatmeal raisin thing! Though I’d never turn down a fresh homemade chocolate chip.

You and your friendly bunch are such kooks, I love it.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 1, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Ahhh my little Penny (or YOUR little Penny I should say) is so little in that flashback photo!! I want to snuggle with her. Now.

Lauren October 1, 2010 at 6:26 pm

HAHA OMG that last pic of you is priceless!!! I love it! :)

Wow, national fried scallops day tomorrow? Really, how do you think one gets to decide these things. I had broccoli and ketchup for dinner tonight. Do you think I could make a national food holiday out of it? :)

Have a fantastic weekend love!

lindsay October 1, 2010 at 6:41 pm

so here’s my question….where do you find all these national holiday? I want to know more!! And national apple betty day? What exactly is that? Whatever it is, sounds fun!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 1, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Caramel month! I’m all over that.

Annie October 1, 2010 at 6:58 pm

County ham month! I love it. When I was in middle school, I even told my grandmother that was what I wanted for Christmas. She gave me enough to last for years. Can you tell I have loved food from a young age? Thanks for the info on the enchiladas! They are definitely on this week’s menu. :)

BroccoliHut October 1, 2010 at 7:16 pm

National Chili Month AND National Pretzel Month?! Maybe I’ll have some pretzel-topped chili to celebrate…

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:39 am

that actually sounds like an awesome combo!

1970kikiproject October 1, 2010 at 7:29 pm

haha – i love all these national this-es and that-s. wouldn’t it be fun to have a challenge where you eat whatever it is that is being celebrated on that day? but then you have to work in the monthly celebrations, too…i see the need for a spreadsheet if you tried this!
i love a choco chip cookie. but not thin, must be fluffy.
love the photo of marshall in your mom’s glasses – that’s my favourite one today!
have a great weekend!

edenseats October 1, 2010 at 8:20 pm

noodle day caught my eye, maybe because its my birthday. I love october and not because its my birth month. I feel like this month has character. No offense to march or whatever, but those months are kind of, “meh”, ya know.
I love flashback fridays! so cool to learn about you minus a few years!
I think a cookie needs to have a chocolate element. so anything with chocolate works for me. I used to eat cookies for breakfast as a kid, and not the cereal, i ate real cookies. My sister used to call my “cookie monster” and my dad still refers to me as his “cookie”. I miss my old metabolism..

Marie October 1, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Hmm, the cinnamon bun day looks pretty darn good. And I never met a cookie I didn’t like. ;)

Penny looks so adorable! :) LOL, I LOVED the picture with your legs dangling out the window!

kbwood October 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm

hahaha i LOVE the pic of you at the honey moon!! you still look adorable making a crazayy face. I love those days coming up.. noodle day? cinna bun day? SWEEEEET

emily October 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Um, popcorn!!! And my favorite cookies are 7-Layer Bars (Hello Dollies).

Sarah October 1, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Hi Janetha :] Gotta admit, I’ve been a lurker for a bit now. But I’ve decided that your blog is my favorite one to read, so I’m un-lurking. De-lurking? Same dif, you get it.

I think I’ll use some of our peaches to make that breakfast one of these days. Looks way good :]

Laura October 2, 2010 at 3:30 am

I love your boys hoody! I had that in t-shirt form a few years back but it fell apart :-( Must have worn it too much!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 2, 2010 at 3:58 am

Hey girl just catching up on this post and the commenting one..wow, that was THOROUGH and amazing.

Replying privately or on the blog. it’s hard with blogger too and my 3rd party commenting system used to allow email replies that posted both to the blog and to the commenter’s email addy so they at least saw the reply i took the time to type out…but now, it’s either or. and as you said, it doesnt sound like alot to cut/paste in email addys, but from phones or when you have 17 you want to reply to, it does suck up major time.

When to comment, when not to, both receiving and offering, not feeling pressure, leaving quality not quantity of comments, loved it all. Thanks for sharing your take on it AND for linking back to their posts/points. Wow…such good info and with that, i am sending you an email….

MelissaNibbles October 2, 2010 at 5:14 am

National School Lunch Week? What did we do to deserve that?

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:44 am

haha i surprisingly LOVED school lunch as a kid! i think i was a weird one.

Erika October 2, 2010 at 6:24 am

How wierd?! I made cookies yesterday and I didn’t even know it was National Homemade Cookies Day! Haha! :-)

Great post – I loved seeing all the funny pictures, especially the one when Penny was so small! (Awwww…)

Allie Finch October 2, 2010 at 6:44 am

Jantetha~
I just had to have [raw]cookie dough Thursday night, so I whipped up a yummy batch with cashews & oats & dates, THEN I saw your post about making cookies for Nat’Cookies Day. How perfect is that? It gave me a great, fitting post for Friday as well, so thanks! Your cookies look delicious; I’m sure they were a hit.
Vegetarian day? That’s neat; who couldn’t stand to eat a few more vegetables? & a small glass of vodka & lime might go well with some creative tacos! What is an apple betty?

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:45 am

i had no idea so i googled it! this is what i got:

*Definition: * a baked pudding, made with layers of sweetened and spiced apples, brown sugar, and buttered crumbs; also called apple crisp, apple crust *Example: * Apple brown betty is an American dessert that dates back to Colonial American time

thedelicateplace October 2, 2010 at 7:05 am

i lost it at the mama b glasses on Marshall and your honeymoon drink mishap. the candid moments are totally the best pics. looks like i’m going to eat my way through october haha

ari October 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

i totally have that same cursive hoodie as marshall!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) October 2, 2010 at 9:27 am

Ohmigosh, SO many good Ntnl food holidays!
I am loving… national pork month [obviously], apple month, chili month, caramel month, cookie month… I’m getting hungry! :P

Oatmeal raisin cookies are my fave! But I never turn down a warm chocolate chip cookie.

xo
Kris

Naomi(onefitfoodie) October 2, 2010 at 9:49 am

national vodka day?!?!?! hellloooo haha just kidding i really don’t drink! but who knew there ws a whole day dedicated to drinking vodka! there are some def more random days/weeks in the ones you have listed like national pickled pepper week hahaha what do you even do for that?? I love that you list these though!!

i am LOVING raw oats latey, when you mix it in greek yogurt, they plump up a little bit and are SO good and chewy!!!

xxoxoxo

kristastes October 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm

MMM national apple and chili…maybe a combo is in order??? Or that could be totally gross. Just a thought.

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:46 am

you never know, it might actually work! kinda like apples work in savory stuffings at thanksgiving?

melissadishes October 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I could dig “no salt week” if I could get Dan to play along. How he doesn’t have BP problems is beyond me. He salts everything, as does his whole family and they never taste things first.

I hate salt. The only thing I usually add salt to (unless it was already an ingredient) is potatoes. Alton Brown once said that potatoes need it for flavor development and I think he’s right on that one.

I used to skip salt in all recipes, but now I follow if it’s a small amt, which it usually is

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 3, 2010 at 2:19 pm

So weird. My birthday is fried scallops day and I am sooo not a seafood fan! LOL. National homemade cookies day on the other hand sounds FANTASTIC! I am all over that.

I have never experienced snow like that. NEVER, sometimes I feel sad about that. I’d freak out if my car got snowed in!

I always love your flashback Friday posts!