i say potato, you say.. yam?

by Janetha on September 21, 2010

in meals,moves

this just in: y’all love your garlic! if you haven’t had a chance, click over to enter my ceramic grater giveaway.  several of your comments reminded me how much i love roasting a whole bulb of garlic and using it as a spread on bread in lieu of butter. that needs to happen in my kitchen. stat.

i took some photos today. and i worked out. wanna hear about it? i hope so. because i am ready to write about it.

ready? go!

image_thumb11

breakfast.

on a whim, i bought some (gasp) NON greek yogurt the other day.

it was on sale and had good stats. plus, i love stonyfield farms and everything they stand for.

bad morning lighting, but you can see i combined a cup of the yogurt with fresh blueberries & 1/3 cup of nature’s indulgence vanilla nut granola.

i guess i am just used to the thickness of greek yogurt, because this yogurt was just so runny.  tasty, for sure, but.. runny.  i’m spoiled in the yogurt department. i like it thick. (TWSS). however, i did enjoy this yogurt and would buy it again! it is a lot more affordable than greek yogurt. perhaps i will try straining it to make my own greek yogurt. i’m pretty lazy, so no promises.

lunch.

sunday night, i baked six sweet potatoes. well, i guess my grocer calls them yams. at my store, yams=deep orange and sweet potatoes=light brownish/yellow.  hmmmm.. whatever, mister grocery store.

my lunch was one of said yams/sweet potatoes plus a few other ingredients.

my favorite topper for a sweet potato: cottage cheese & sunflower seed butter.  the only thing missing was the ketchup! (i was out.)

every time i eat this combo someone comments on how it can’t be good. but i promise, it is! don’t knock it ‘til you try it ;) i had a side of normandy style veggies, to add some oomph to my meal.

snack.

what you don’t see: me eating this snack in my car, squeezing every last drop out of the almond butter pack.. and then hitting a stop light and tearing the pack down the side, splitting it open and licking it clean.

true story.

what? i love justin’s!

image_thumb2

i had a killer lower body workout yesterday (i will type it up this week to share with you guys) and my glutes and abs are sore like something fierce!  today was HIIT on the treadmill, it was pretty painful, but i got it done.

body for life style HIIT:

minute # speed (MPH) intensity (RPE scale)
1 6.0 5
15 6.5 6
16 7.0 7
17 7.5 8
18 8.0 9
19 9.0 10
20 6.0 5

this was a killer run! 2.36 miles, max HR 184, average HR 162 (!!!) and calories burned 178.

i finished the workout off with 15 minutes of walking at 2.0 MPH and 15% incline. i alternated walking facing left, facing front and facing.  this is a fun way to mix up your treadmill moves. even though you are walking slow, you have to concentrate and your heart rate will actually stay pretty high. i burned an additional 135 calories in that short ime!  i ended my workout with a nice stretch.

image_thumb11

dinner.

leftovers! just as good the second time around.. if not better.

a hearty bowl of my taco soup, topped with avocado, greek yogurt and sharp cheddar.

check out my cute spoon! momma b brought it back from costa rica.

i <3 owls. i <3 spoons. it just works.

don’t you love him? he needs a name.

i also had another side of normandy veggies. i am feeling very veggie today! i love this particular mix.  i buy it at costco.  i keep a bag at home AND at work! the perks of having a freezer at work, eh?

perfect dinner.

we are about to take the pups for a walk and then i will probably make some sort of dessert.. i am thinking my pumpkin protein shake~ since i just bought three huge cans of libby’s pumpkin at costco!

1. yogurt: do you prefer thick, creamy greek yogurt or runny regular yogurt? once you go greek.. it’s hard to go back. oikos has my heart.

2. do you eat in your car? truth be told, i often eat my snack (between lunch and dinner) in my car. it is usually an apple, protein shake or something portable.. but i have been known to eat yogurt messes complete with spoon while driving.

3. bright orange potato shaped vegetable: is it a sweet potato or a yam? i googled and i guess they are interchangeable. i say sweet potato.

melissadishes September 22, 2010 at 11:53 am

Oh and I don’t eat in my car if I can’t help it. If I do, it’s a latte or a Luna bar. It’s mostly to keep Dan from eating in my car. I have a no food rule in there

Maren September 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I loooove greek yogurt, but lately yogurt hasn’t been agreeing with me, so I’m taking a break from it (and missing it dearly). I will definitely eat in my car if I have to, but it’s usually just a larabar..or I guess a protein shake if you count that eating! :) I think it’s totally bizarre that your grocery store calls sweet potatoes yams. I think sweet potato fits so much better!!

Maren September 22, 2010 at 1:13 pm

oh and p.s.! I just bought some sunflower seed butter at WF and I am soooo excited to try the sweet potato-cottage cheese-sunflower seed butter combo!! I’ll have to skip the ketchup because I just don’t like it!

cbrady3 September 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm

1. Greek! I’m addicted to the thickness too. And despite how many times my mom told be about how she used to be poor in college and made her own yogurt…I’m lazy. And I don’t trust it to turn out as yummy!

2. Not really! I eat breakfast, lunch, and snack at work, then dinner at home!

3. Sweet potato. And I love them.

julie September 22, 2010 at 3:10 pm

hahaha eating in my car is the least dangerous thing i do there. taking pictures of myself? something that keeps me living on the wild side ;)

i just got a sample packet of sunflower seed butter and couldn’t think of what to do with it! sweet tater + sunflower seeed buttaz sounds like orange harmony to me!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I’m a Greek yogurt girl all the way. I’m hooked on the flavored chobani’s at the moment.

If I eat in the car, it’s normally a protein shake or something in a bowl (cottage cheese, yog mess). I rarely do it though bc I am MESSY.

Orange on the inside = yam to me. That’s what we always called it growing up. I still want to try the sweet pot, sun butter, cottage cheese and ketchup ;)

Shannon September 22, 2010 at 5:56 pm

i do the same thing with packets of nut butter :) and jars for that matter–lol! greek yogurt is my love, i’ll still eat regular yogurt, but if i buy a big tub i’ll often strain it. yam, sweet potato… all the same to me :)

Laura @ Starloz September 22, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Thicker yogurt for me, i hate runny sloppy yogurt.

i never eat in the car, strange!

Katie September 22, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I’m all about the thick yogurt, too. Like you, I think I’m just used to it – so regular yog just feels to runny.

I am embarrassed to say I eat in my car 4/5 times during the week. I photograph my breakfast at home, then jump in the car…oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, pancakes. It doesn’t matter the food – I’ll figure out a way. I drive with my knees a lot. (eek!)

I call it a sweet potato, too. Glad to know they’re interchangeable – I’ve always wondered!

BroccoliHut September 22, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Seriously jealous of your owl spoon!
1. I am officially addicted to Greek yogurt–regular yogurt just seems so blah now.
2. I actually just read about sweet potatoes vs. yams in my nutrition textbook yesterday. Sweet potatoes have darker-hued flesh and are pretty much all that is sold in US supermarkets. Yams are sold mostly in Central and South America, and they have a yellow-ish flesh.

Maya September 22, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Greek yogurt is the way to go, but straining plain yogurt definitely makes a Greek like consistency. It just takes a few minutes of prep work, definitely try it sometime!

simplyshaka September 22, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Not gonna lie, your sweet potato topping sounds super funkalicious….but I am kinda intrigued by it.

And I was like “What does TWSS mean??” but I figured it out. I <3 acronyms!

I like mine thick (giggity) but like to change it up with the runny stuff every now and then (ie when its on sale)

I take the bus to work so Im really only in my car on the wknds and rarely eat in it. I do drink in it though—coffee and water of course :)

Meg September 22, 2010 at 7:48 pm

HI! I’ve heard so many good things about your blog that I needed to stop by and see what it was all about! It’s nice to meet someone out west (that’s not in California!). I LOVE taco soup. Never thought to add avocado to it… I’ll definitely be trying it next time.

I really like adding cottage cheese to my spaghetti, it’s like deconstructed lasagna!

emily September 22, 2010 at 9:02 pm

1. I prefer Greek, but occasionally I get the really disgustingly fake dessert Yoplaits and just go to town.
2. I’m rarely in a car, but I do eat on road trips.
3. I say yam, but think sweet potato.

I think he looks like an Edgar; Edgar the Owl.