on the go.

by Janetha on September 19, 2010

in meals

there is a lot to cover and i still have a lot to do.. so how about i dive right into it?

friday night, marshall & i went to red rock brewing company for dinner.  it was horrible service and took ridiculous amounts of time for us to get water, drinks, food, refills, any attention at all.

if it weren’t for my delicious entree, i would have called the night a bust. but i can’t say that.. this was way too good:

Warm Shrimp Salad: Sautéed gulf shrimp, watercress, baby spinach, roasted sweet potatoes, grapefruit, toasted pistachios & Gorgonzola cheese
with a creamy lemon pepper dressing.

roasted sweet potatoes? shrimp? gorgonzola? it had all my favorites! i can’t believe i had never ordered this previously.

IMG_9866 IMG_9867

i have to say i picked off all the grapefruit. i do love grapefruit, but it just didn’t “go” with everything else.

saturday.

prepare for the longest saturday recap ever written on meals & moves. get a snack. it’s gonna be a doozy.

timeline:

• farmers’ market
  • state fair
  • lunch at home
  • ikea
  • rug shopping
  • fashion place mall
  • picked up my mail from my old house
  • dinner at z’tejas
  • the gateway mall
  • vegan baking

there it is in a nutshell. now let’s crack that nutshell and get into it.

momma b picked me up around 10 and we went to the farmers’ market. for her birthday, i told her she could design a custom bracelet made from typewriter keys.

IMG_9879 IMG_9876 IMG_9878

aren’t they awesome?! my mom and i got to work on finding the perfect letters to spell “nana sue”, which is what all the grandkids call her.

IMG_9884IMG_9881 IMG_9880IMG_9882

this was the final decision. we walked around the market while the bracelet was put together.

we were parched so we each selected a beverage.. mint limeade for my mom: IMG_9890 IMG_9892IMG_9893 IMG_9894 IMG_9895

iced coffee for me. IMG_9896 IMG_9898 IMG_9900

we saw these cool notebooks that were made from old library books. IMG_9901

check out this old weight lifting for boys book! IMG_9902

the photos inside were hilarious. IMG_9904 IMG_9905

in addition to the book pages, there were several blank pages for journaling between the front and back cover. look, it was a real library book!

i loved these light switch plates, but we are doing dimmers in our home so they wouldn’t work for me :(IMG_9907

we came across an awesome indian spice stand.. they do a cooking class once a month. i am for SURE going to check that out! IMG_9910 IMG_9912 IMG_9915 IMG_9917 IMG_9921

IMG_9926 IMG_9928 IMG_9930

ran into my fish friend, CJ. his parents own aquarius fish downtown. IMG_9924

look who else i ran into! emily! love her.

after all our purchases were made (melon, corn, peaches, tomatoes and granola) we headed back to the bracelet booth. the finished product was amazing!

IMG_9934 IMG_9933

on the way out, we snagged a piece of great harvest savory loaf bread.

IMG_9936 IMG_9938 IMG_9939

this was beyond delicious! kath, you’re lucky to have a GH man for a husband.

next up, the state fair! yes, again. momma b and i didn’t have enough the first time around :) i will spare you the details. i did take a few photos, though!

IMG_9945 IMG_9953 IMG_9959

these are carved gourds. carved gourds. the detail amazes me.

IMG_9961 IMG_9967 IMG_9968

momma b dropped me off at home where i fixed lunch. i was starving by the time i got home.  i had only eaten samples at the market and the piece of bread. not okay!

i made a turkey, cheddar, spinach & tomato sandwich on dave’s killer bread with some deli mustard. it hit the spot.

love this bread.

i needed something sweet, so i ate a peach from the market. SO juicy and delicious!

IMG_9983 IMG_9984

and then, before i knew it, it was time to leave again! marshall and i drove waaaay out to IKEA.

i didn’t snap photos while shopping through the maze.. but we did get a dresser, a headboard with hidden storage, a wok (only $5!), placemats, and a cool plant called an “elephant’s foot”.

i did pick up something from the food section. of course.

these crackers had great stats and ingredients. can’t wait to try them!

IMG_0020 IMG_0019

next, we hit up a few rug galleries (no luck) and the mall (lots of luck!). we were in the neighborhood of my old house, so i decided to pick up the mail that was there for me. we saw my roommates new puppy (so cute!) and snagged some peaches from his tree. i also picked up SEVEN magazines. seven.

looks like i’ve got some reading to catch up on!

after all our errands, we were super hungry. we headed to the gateway for dinner at z’tejas.

i started with a complimentary slice of piping hot, fresh out of the oven cornbread.

yesterday just so happened to be national cheeseburger day, so i kind of had to order the turkey burger!IMG_9997

Avocado Turkey Burger: House-made and lightly seasoned with onions, garlic & chiles, topped with asadero cheese, grilled red onion, avocadoes, lettuce, tomato and chipotle aioli sauce.

check out that hunk-o-avocado! IMG_9998

the onions were grilled to perfection.

it came with sweet potato fries. my favorite.

dinner was PERFECT. it was so tasty.

we decided to walk to the other end of the gateway and visit my favorite kitchen store: sur la table.

IMG_0014 IMG_0005

check out this chocolate milk mixer! loved it. IMG_0006

oh, le creuset, i wish i could afford you. IMG_0007 IMG_0009

baby french presses! IMG_0012

we got out with a can opener and a pastry blender. lovely.

when we got home, i baked!

vegan cookies, recipe thanks to mama pea. THEY. ARE. PHENOMENAL. that is all.

whew! i was spent after that long saturday. and i am sure you are spent after reading the recap.. if you made it this far.

i have a lot to do today.. off to the gym and then a massage (yay!)~ plus i am going to do ALL the laundry, scrub the bathrooms & kitchen and maybe even put together some IKEA furniture. no promises.

1. what do you like shopping for most? i adore kitchen stores. i walk into one and an amazing, giddy feeling rushes over me. groceries come in second. does this make me strange?

2. your weekend highlight? i can’t pick. it was all so good.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 19, 2010 at 11:36 am

I love kitchen stores, grocery stores and shoe stores. It’s physically impossible for me to leave any of the three empty-handed.

Weekend highlight was probably just spending a lazy Saturday with the BF. It’s been awhile since we’ve just gotten to enjoy each other’s company alone!

Hope you have a wonderful end to your weekend!

Mandy September 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

WOW. Where is that farmer’s market? I want to go.
Everything looks so delicious. And the selection is awesome.
I’d really want to get some of those spices.

thedelicateplace September 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

epic post! i love ikea so much. i think our entire house is furnished in it haha. the lox there is some of the cheapest you can find and it tastes great! my husband loves the ligonberry (or is it loganberry?) jelly and meatballs. i pine after le creuset products all the time. it’s my part time job haha. i want to buy a big one but they are sooooo $$$! yikes. looks like a great saturday. mine was pretty hectic but fun as well. we ended up being too tired to go out to eat so we headed home and cooked up something good.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 19, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Um… shoes, groceries, kitchen supplies… EVERYTHING!

Tina September 19, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Holy cow that was one doozy of a day! And your farmer’s market looks so cool!

julie September 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm

ugh i JUST got back from home goods and seriously shopping there with no money is the ultimate worst thing ever! i want everything yet can get nothing. well except for a bridal shower gift for SOMEONE ELSE. haha fail.

tell mama b i said belated happy mama b-day!!! hahahahaha ;)

Sweet Cheeks September 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm

grocery shopping is the BEST! haha I guess we can just be strange together, whatever. :) Glad you had a fun weekend! The weather has been gorgeous so I’ve been outside as much as possible.

Texas Gunslinger September 19, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Looks like a great weekend! I ♥ those typewriter-key bracelets. So cute!

I LOVE shopping for vitamins/supplements/health/natural goods…oh, and MAKEUP at Sephora and MAC:)

The highlight of my weekend has been lounging with my Hunk with NO PLANS. We’ve been SO SO SO busy traveling and hanging with friends on our weekends, that it is just fantastic to sleep in late and curl up on the couch with my sweet husband! Perfection:)

Heather September 19, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Those vegan cookies look amazing! Are you able to send me/post the recipe?

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 19, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Damn! You did so much this weekend and its barely lunch time on sun. I have pretty much cooked, baked (whaaaaaaaat?! – yep, i did it), played video games, took a long walk and that’s it! But all the best things.. ? ;P

Last night I happened to be looking at all the le creuset at cookware.com salivating. I am super excited to be shopping for a new set of pans and couldn’t help but spend a few minutes perusing the collection… BUT, the are SO expensive! :l What kind of pans do you have/ like ? I’m just starting my research, opinions are welcome!

On shopping… I will pretty much pick grocery shopping or kitchen store shopping over any other type of shopping 99 times out of 100. for sure. Unless it’s online shopping ;D

My weekend highlight… hmmm… that’s a toughy. Would have to say that working on my ‘whole wheat veggie pizza with simple pizza sauce’ recipe was pretty epic. Trying to focus on using things that most everyone would have in their kitchen… I think I need to re-work it one last time and then it’s golden WAHOO!

ytotheummy September 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm

LOVE MAMA PEA. not a single one of her recipes have ever failed me :’)
I go crazy at this one goodwill store by my grandma’s house!! I’ve found soo many good things there, including a $4 houndstooth *winkwink* jacket from forever21 that is so cute, it kind of makes me want to puke. ha, not really it just wants to make me wear it every day for the rest of my life ;)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm

What a great weekend recap! All that food looks delish.

I had a great foodie weekend as well- Nick’s parents came into town so we went shopping and did LOTS of eating… yum! I think my fave was the big sushi dinner followed by carrot cake for my grad yesterday :)

I really like shopping for groceries. Kitchen stuff second. If that makes you weird, well I am too :)

xo
Kris

crystal September 19, 2010 at 2:20 pm

i like shopping for kitchen gadgets, but don’t really know enough to be able to name each item!

and this weekend involved a concert and a hike and then sitting on my butt today! i probably should clean the house, but it can wait…..come to think of it, you’re doing so much cleaning, maybe you wouldn’t mind hopping on over to my place when you’re done with yours :)

love the stunna shades, btw!

Ashley @ Cupcakes & Combat Boots September 19, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I feel exactly the same way as you do about kitchen stores. They are dangerous for me to walk into because I want EVERYTHING.

My favorite part of my weekend was the girl’s night that I had last night. We drank delicious Mexican Martinis and just hang out and talked. It was perfect! Your weekend looks SO fun and makes me seriously hungry!

MelissaNibbles September 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I don’t think you have enough magazines.

Caitlin September 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Ahhh..every single picture you put on this post made me hungry:) What an amazing farmer’s market you have access to!.

Laura @ Starloz September 19, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I want farmers market like this, holy awesome!

great weekend J

Kelly @Coconuts & Freckles September 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm

What a fun day you had! I love fun filled days!! Oh, I have been wanting to go to IKEA forever!!I am certain I will LOVE it!!

Lauren September 19, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Oh my, the salad does sound amazing!!!!! Grapefruit and sweet potatoes? I think that’s even a new one for me! :)

I love your Saturday. From starting the day at the Farmer’s Market to ending it by baking cookies. I wouldn’t imagine a better day than that! :)

maria @ Chasing the Now September 19, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I really enjoy your longer posts and all of the weekend photos! :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] September 19, 2010 at 6:46 pm

this post REALLY makes me want to move back to Utah and hang out with you.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Your photos are amazing lately. I love them! That shrimp looks sooo good!

I love Momma B’s bracelet. I want a typewriter bracelet!

I am in love with those owl light switch covers. I am crazy about owls.

Shopping: Kitchen stores are my fave too. I can’t get enough.

Weekend highlight: Seeing Anthony Bourdain live!

simplyfitsimplyclean September 19, 2010 at 8:14 pm

What a fabulous weekend! Now I’m hungry.

Does food shopping count as my favorite thing to shop for? I wouldn’t be opposed to a trip to Ikea, though!

I’m dying to make Mama Pea’s cookies. Yum!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 19, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I tried my first Great Harvest bread this weekend. WHOA. If you get the chance, try the kind (forget the name) that looks very similar to the savory one you chose…except, the dough is layered with cinnamon and sugar….life changing!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 19, 2010 at 11:49 pm

omg back in the day when i used to do highlights of the week posts, i knew they were long and time consuming, this post has got me beat. girl! you put some TIME into this badboy :) i loved every second!

the weightlifting books
ice coffee
mini french presses
that shrimp that i’d go into allergic shock from LOL

and i just posted today about women’s workout magazines!!!! about how i really dont feel there are any real “new” tips. It’s all recycled for the most part, but i also gave my thoughts on it all and my other random tips. anyway, 7 mags. I wish i had that much time. Oh wait, if i didnt read blogs i would :) i don’t know how you do it!!!

DEAO September 20, 2010 at 2:12 am

hello nice content let to join

kalliemarie September 20, 2010 at 6:06 am

I’m living in Sweden right now, and the passion for IKEA here is so palatable. People go there specifically to eat meals too, I haven’t been to one in the states before so I don’t know if they have a full on cafeteria too but they have such good food for cheap.
Perfect for a post shopping treat. One thing they don’t have out here is state fairs though, I’m missing mine at the moment which I’m bummed about.
Looks like a fun day though :)

-Kallie

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) September 20, 2010 at 6:33 am

That is such a fun market!!

And I love your mom’s bracelet! It’s so original and I love the color choices. :D

kristastes September 20, 2010 at 9:36 am

Holy crazy busy weekend of fun!! Those bracelets are so creative — I remember the post with the owls. I like shopping for dog toys and cute collars. I am weird, I know! The highlight of my weekend was running my first half marathon :)

Freckled Foodie September 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

grocery shopping = blisss! if i ever find myself wandering the aisles of a trader joes, i’ll probably faint. :)

my weekend hilight was seeing my bestie and having dinner with her and her hubs while we visited them in philly, where their baby boy is in the nicu at abington memorial.

melissadishes September 20, 2010 at 11:56 am

Glad you had a rockin weekend!

My weekend was good, the highlight was dinner and a concert on Saturday night. Dan took me to Kerbey Lane, which I love and he does not.

I went to ZTejas last week too, hadn’t been in a while. I got the shrimp salad off their seasonal Green Chile menu. It was really not good :-( Not sure if I am now spoiled by all of the awesome shrimp I had in Florida, but it was super disappointing. Should have tried something else or had my usual tuna

Katie September 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

So many things!! I just caught up on your last 4 posts, you are too awesome.

First, I really want that salmon salad. Second, I adore kitchen stores – the way they are all jammed packed with so many goodies. It’s hard for me to keep my head on straight when I am in one. Lastly, I was DYING at my desk looking at your Flashback Friday pictures. Oh, we would have been good friends back then…I had braces and glasses, too. And I cuffed my pleated jeans.

Tamizn September 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm

To be honest I love shopping for anything but I guess clothes are top of the list and home wears x x

runningaroundnormal September 20, 2010 at 3:40 pm

What a fantastic weekend! Those old school lifting books cracked me up! What a hottie ;)
I love shopping for make up! Even though I don’t wear much, Sephora is my weakness. I also love shopping for food, home furnishings, bags, clothes, jeans…I love shopping in general. Except shoes. I hate shopping for shoes because I have large feet, am 5’10, and have foot problems that hinder me from wearing cute shoes. Danskos, Bornes and Nikes represent! LOL

Danica September 20, 2010 at 4:36 pm

That might be like the LONGEST post of yours I’ve ever read :D So MUCH good stuff in there I don’t know where to comment other than to say, I LOVE it all and you and your pics, eats and that Garlic Grater is my FAVORITE way to grate ginger in recipes!

xoxo ~ Me

Mary (A Merry Life) September 20, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I love those typewriter bracelets and the light switch plates. That’s awesome!

I’m kinda jealous of your magazines. They are so much more expensive over here and I can’t even get all of the same ones. I miss reading health magazines already.

What do you like shopping for most? Definitely groceries. I looove shopping for food!

actorsdiet September 20, 2010 at 6:50 pm

you look like you had such a lovely fun weekend! i think my fave thing to shop for is food. with “stuff” i just worry it’ll get cluttered!

Di September 21, 2010 at 7:10 am

What a productive weekend! Looks like you had a good time. :) That typewriter-key bracelet is awesome!

Graze With Me September 21, 2010 at 10:56 am

I made vegan chocolate chip cookies Saturday night too! Except my recipe was from Bethenny Frankel’s book, Naturally Thin. I ate 6 of them straight from the oven. :)

I love buying new furniture and house decor. So much fun.

Julia September 21, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Sounds like you had some fantastic excursions! And I am jealous of your time with your momma! Her bracelet is super cute!

Holly September 22, 2010 at 10:27 am

EMILY!!! i heart that girl. glad to know she is alive and kickin’. LOVE YOUUUUUUUU!!!!