flashback friday: four eyes.

by Janetha on September 17, 2010

in moves

we made it to the weekend! yes, i get excited about friday. every friday. today is no different.

no food photos today. breakfast was a yogurt mess, lunch was a stuffed pepper and my pre-workout snack was 1/2 of a simply bar and some toast (on dave’s killer bread—for those who asked, i got it at costco) with my mom’s raspberry jam. nothing new to see!

i did, however, want to share my workout with you today.

image_thumb2

30 minute total upper body workout

5 minute warmup (plyo, treadmill, jumprope, whatever)

superset: 3 times through

skullcrushers 10# ea 12 triceps

superset: 3 times through

move weight reps muscle worked
upright dumbbell row 10# ea 12 shoulders
flyes 10# ea 12 chest

stretch.

all in all, with warmup and stretching, this took 40 minutes. but only 30 of lifting! my arms were literally quivering during those last supersets. the key is to get through the workout speedily, with as little to no rest as possible. i am not saying you should do the moves quick, that is a no-no.  make sure you do not compromise form for speed. having correct form is #1. focus on the muscle being worked throughout each repetition. do the exercise slow and controlled, but move onto the next exercise quickly. make sense? good.

jello arms! oh and for the record, i still have lead legs. thanks susan.

if you try this one, let me know!

********************************************************************

time for flashback friday! i know i missed last week, but this week’s awkwardness and embarrassment should more than make up for last week’s skippage.  in fact, when i told momma b about this week’s theme, she said: “wow, it takes someone with a LOT of self confidence to put those photos up!” ~ laughing, of course. what can i say? i was an awkward, 4-eyed, brace-face little girl.

as you know, i got glasses this week.  after 2 weeks of eye problems, i decided it was finally time to embrace wearing eyeglasses again.  i haven’t had a pair of glasses that were the right prescription in over 12 years.  i have just been wearing my contacts day in and day out. and.. sadly.. SLEEPING in them, every night.  i know, i feel like the kid who got caught by the dentist for not flossing.  i’m so bad.

anyway, even 12 years ago when i actually had glasses, i didn’t wear them.  i would use them on occasion, but by no means wore them regularly.  i couldn’t even dig up any photos of me in any of the pairs i had as a teenager!  they were actually cute and stylish, it is too bad i can’t find any photos with them on my face.

what i DID find, however, was a bunch of photos from before the contacts.  i had to get glasses in the third grade. the third grade. do you know how traumatizing that was? and to make matters worse, i had to get braces, TOO!  ugh, third grade was tough. glasses and braces all at once. it was inevitable.  both of my parents have glasses and so do my two sisters. my brother, somehow, got away with perfect eyes. what gives?!

in spirit of my new found four eyes, i give you some comedy relief. janetha: after the glasses, before the contacts.  enjoy!

here i am in jackson hole. i am fairly certain i was in the fourth grade.

4eyes6

oh man. i can remember how much i LOVED that jacket! i remember really needing a denim jacket with colored sleeves. zach morris had one just like it! while we are on the topic, does anyone remember the episode on full house where DJ steals the blue sweater (thinking she could “buy now, pay later”) and then she wore it with black stirrup leggings? yeah. don’t worry. i MADE my mom buy me that whole getup. i was in seventh heaven in my blue sweater and stirrups.

moving on.

christmas morning! so happy to get a new pair of kicks! i may have had glasses and braces, but at least i had nikes. and a plaid, full length night gown… 4eyes2

here i am with my three siblings on that same christmas.. we all got new slippers! ducks, tweety birds, moose (meese?) and cocker spaniels. looks like everyone else had their head cut off in the photo.

4eyes3

don’t worry. there’s another. it fully captures the embarrassment for all involved ;)

4eyes8

sorry siblings.

they are probably going to hate me for this one too… we were at the geysers. circa fourth grade. same trip as the first photo up there.

4eyes1

i’m sorry in advance, melina. this one was in third grade. they were putting the angel moroni on the bountiful temple. i remember that we got to get out of school to watch. stoked! what i don’t remember is having a pair of killer double-button jeans that i cuffed. at least i was wearing my chucks, right?

4eyes4

this last one is from sixth grade. actually there’s the date.. 1994. i guess that’s probably right?  anyway, we were in mexico. cabo san lucas, actually! i remember hating that i had to wear glasses while i was swimming, but i was blind otherwise. luckily, contacts followed not far after this photo.

4eyes7

oh.. and guess what else i came across while digging through the archives?

momma four eyes :)

4eyes5

what, mom, you thought you were going to get away that easy?!

check out some other flashback friday posts! lisa had a fun one and biz flashbacked today.. probably without even knowing about my little tradition :)

well, i am outta here. i will try to swing in over the weekend and ramble. i have some fun things planned.. the fair, the farmers’ market, IKEA and maybe a hike with the pups.

hope you all have a great weekend!

1. favorite upper body move? i LOVE overhead cable extensions and seated cable rows. i want a cable machine in my house. now. thanks.

2. did you have glasses, braces, or any other “traumatizing to your appearance” things as a kid? i thought glasses AND braces were the end of the world in third grade. i had braces for FIVE years. i was just glad i didn’t have head gear! but now i am SO, SO glad i have nice, straight teeth. and look, now i am rockin’ the glasses again :)  oh, and i also HATED my freckles!!

inmytummy September 17, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I totally remember that episode of Full House.

I never had glasses or braces. I wanted both though for some reason.

mom September 17, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Aaaaachhh you are killing me hahahaha!!! :)
How did dad slide by on this one?!?!
Isn’t memory lane just the very best?! I’m so glad you do this it makes me want to get all those photos out and sorted—maybe a ‘winter’ project?

I LOVE tricep anything which is weird and plays into the answer to the next question. Yes it’s true I wore/wear eyewear but I was teased and made fun of my muscular arms and now they are my best feature go figure! Embrace those oddities! Love my kids 4 eyes and all (dougie also should be wearing glasses too!)Xoxo

Melina Braithwaite September 17, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Wow, I’m so shocked that we weren’t cooler than that in school! Haha! And I might be embarrassed, but knowing I don’t look like that anymore saved ya! ;) Thanks for the memories, it was fun looking at all the pictures!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 17, 2010 at 8:36 pm

OH my gosh… these pictures are priceless!

Mary (A Merry Life) September 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Aww, look at you! Hehe. I’ve had glasses since I was in elementary school. I’ve had some really ugly glasses since then and some cool ones too. I’m so glad I never had braces!

Maren September 17, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I love the pictures! soooo cute! I never had glasses, but I had braces for SIX years. it sucked. but you know how I felt! Your teeth are beautiful though, so I am sure it was worth it! It was definitely worth it for me. Also, my favorite upper body lift is probably lat pulldowns! I love how I have to engage my core so much when I do it!

Have a good weekend girl!

maria @ Chasing the Now September 17, 2010 at 9:26 pm

YOU ARE BRAVE. My elementary school photos *I got glasses in 4th grade* are wretched.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm

You are adorable! I didn’t wear glasses as a kid, I started in my 20’s. But I had a retainer, a huge gap inbetween my two front teeth and terrible hair. I’ll flashback Friday one of these days and show you. So funny!

My favorite upper body move is anything having to do with triceps. I love working them out.

Patricia Braithwaite September 17, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Those pictures were so fun. I especially liked the one of Sue. Funny, I don’t remember those glasses. I was laughing about the picture of you and Melina. I remember calling her the “gentle giant” in elementary school. Now, I know why! Thanks for sharing. Melina always wanted braces and I think she still begrudges the fact that we didn’t get them for her. Now she can get her own braces. I’ve worn glasses for the last 15 years but I just recently got contacts. It has been such a nice change. Your new glasses are AWESOME!

Kerry September 18, 2010 at 12:29 am

haha you were so cute!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 18, 2010 at 1:44 am

“. but only 30 of lifting! my arms were literally quivering during those last supersets. the key is to get through the workout speedily, with as little to no rest as possible”–
THAT is how i lift!! I only lift for a max of 30 mins, i have a kid and a life and dont have time for more than that :) and yes, by the end, im shakin too! I also use 12 lbs on most of the exercises you used 12’s on. It’s nice to see that not everyone is reaching for 50’s or anything :)

i want a cable machine too!! Cable pull down moves are the BEST! they are the REASON i have delts, seriously, would love a cable machine, and rowing rocks too. we could be gym buds!

Erica September 18, 2010 at 5:39 am

oh my gosh… 80’s style….I feel like I had all the same outfits haha. I think you’re actually pretty adorable! I had braces FOREVER when I was younger and I got glasses my sophomore year in high school (which I refused to wear). I hope you have a fun weekend

Beth @ 990 Square September 18, 2010 at 6:12 am

I’m 28…and I had that same jacket AND the nightgown. Clearly we were the height of fashion!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 18, 2010 at 6:25 am

I had to get glasses in the third grade too! So embarassing, but I think you were a cutie! Love the FBF :D

I love pushups!

Luckily I only had braces for a year… I still have the glasses, though- embracing my geekiness! ;)

xo
Kris

jules524 September 18, 2010 at 6:27 am

nothing is more traumatizing than a perm. especially a perm in which you used a pic to “comb” it, thus making it more like a while girl afro. 3rd and 4th grades were awesome.

coffeeandthepaper September 18, 2010 at 6:38 am

They is a WAY flashback friday! I love it!

I had ERKEL glasses in lower school! Pretty sure I’ve deleted all the evidence, but now I’m kind of regretting it!

Lauren September 18, 2010 at 7:09 am

AWWWW I love this flashback Friday. Best one yet! :)

I definitely had it all. Glasses, braces, retainers, weird hair cuts. I think it;s just a part of adolescents. :)

Wishing you a fantastic weekend my love!

biz319 September 18, 2010 at 7:27 am

It’s nice to see that every generation wore a long plaid nightgown! Love your Friday flashback, I guess I missed stopping by on Fridays! Not anymore – love the flashback!

And thanks for the shout out! :D

Bess September 18, 2010 at 7:37 am

I didn’t have glasses or braces or anything like that…but dead serious I tried to FAKE needing them! My mom took me to the eye doctor in 4th grade where I tried to pretend I couldn’t see a thing. I guess the doctor saw right through my lame attempt! haha and I also tried to fake needing a retainer. I’m not sure how I thought I’d be able to fake that but my older cousin had one and I wanted one too! So strange.

Hayley September 18, 2010 at 8:29 am

Just wanted to let you know that I AM reading your blog everyday I just don’t always have time to post. You were so cute despite glasses, braces, etc! I never wore glasses when I was younger (I had to when I was older and then got lasik) but I went through the whole braces thing. Those along with super curly hair I desperately (and unsuccessfully) tried to straighten which resulted in a frizzy mop complete with bangs curled under, etc.

I LOVE your flashback posts…it’s so much fun to see what bloggers (and their siblings and moms..he he he!) looked like when they were younger! Mama B looks like she was still in excellent shape then! :)

XOXO

Talia @ Texasgunslinger September 18, 2010 at 8:42 am

Oy vey, I had to wear braces for most of high school. I looked less-than-stellar, I’ll say that much right now! HA! Ah well, the braces came off and now I rock my smile, so it’s all good in da’ hood:)

My favorite upper body move is definitely the Arnold Press. I love love love workin’ the shoulders. It’s just too bad I’ll have to start covering up my arms here soon with the cooler weather. Shucks!

Paige September 18, 2010 at 10:02 am

Janetha those pictures were classic!! I got braces in 5th grade which made my akward phase even more akward!! ;)
you were such a cute kid despite the glasses and braces ;) and head gear!! Do kids even still have to where that crap?! Lol

Meagan@TIL September 18, 2010 at 10:56 am

The pictures= greatness!

I was supposed to wear glasses as a kid (got them in 6th grade), but I’m pretty sure that never happened. I took them to school with me where they sat in their case because I wasn’t about to be the only kid in my class wearing glasses. Plus, shortly there after I got contacts, which I wore religiously and even slept in them (the big no no).

I actually don’t mind glasses now! My contacts irritate my eyes lately so I find it a lot simpler just wearing glasses. That is when it is not sunny, not raining….

Annie September 18, 2010 at 10:57 am

I had to get glasses in 2nd grade. The braces didn’t come until later – but I had them for years. I finally got contacts right before high school started. Everyone in my family is blind. Oddly, my fiance and I have the exact same prescription, -7 in each eye. Our kids have no shot at good eyesight.

Sara September 18, 2010 at 11:01 am

Wow I so wanted a jacket like that when I was that age, but alas, I never got one. It’s like a faux letterman almost! I’m the lucky one in my family that hasn’t had glasses, but I’m only 28 and have a lot of time ahead of me for my eyes to worsen. My dad didn’t get his glasses until he was about 40-45, but everyone else in my family had them rather young.

Sami September 18, 2010 at 11:26 am

Im not a fan of upper body stuff but i think my fave would have to be the row machine.

Omg i hateddd my frecklesss when i was little….no braces or glasses to worry about it though.

thedelicateplace September 18, 2010 at 11:38 am

lol i never had braces but i did have to wear glasses and got them in 7th grade. i specifically remember thinking i looked like a bug. HATED IT. i got contacts in high school, now i kinda like wear my glasses now and then. i have purple, square prada ones-i like to think they make me look sophisticated now ;p i don’t really work my upper body (unless you count armstands in yoga or 5lb dumbbell rows i’m a weakling ;)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Oh my! Looks like we had similar glasses. Gotta love the round frames. I got mine in 4th grade and finally contacts in 6th grade. The two years in between were so very uncool.

lynn @ the actors diet September 18, 2010 at 6:46 pm

you are so cute :)
i had glasses, braces, HEAD GEAR!!!

Rachael September 18, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I love the pics – I think we all need to break out our former, less-than-fashionable younger selves from time to time. Mine would include a lot of stirrup pants. Worn, of course, with giant scrunchies and tight turtlenecks.
I remember actively wanting glasses in third grade, and theatrically pretending to bump into things until my teacher sent me down to the nurse, for whom I faked bad vision. Five years later, when I found myself seeing fuzzy and needing glasses for real, I couldn’t remember the logic behind my earlier exploits.
Have a great rest-of-the-weekend!

melissadishes September 19, 2010 at 10:44 am

My favorite upper body is upright rows. Love rows.

I had glasses and braces. Got glasses in 3rd grade and had them until 8th grade when my mom let me get contacts. Probably because I was traumatized because I got braces earlier that year. I didn’t mind the braces much at all, pretty much everyone in my HS had them.

I REALLY wish I qualified for lasik or similar proceedures, but sadly I don’t. I would love to wear my glasses more, but my script is so strong, that the lenses make my eyes look little and beady. In turn, people always comment that I look tired, which is super annoying

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries September 19, 2010 at 10:57 am

Those slippers are amazing!

elise September 19, 2010 at 11:20 am

awwww…you are SO cute in your glasses!!

lowandbhold September 20, 2010 at 7:00 am

You were adorable!

I had glasses and “rabbit teeth” from first grade to sixth. I eventually got the teeth sawed down a bit and they wore down more on their own and I got contacts in sixth. My social status improved after that but I still remember that little girl and I love her lots.

Susan September 21, 2010 at 7:45 am

Bahahaha. I LOVE this flashback. I think we can all relate how incredibly awkward those years of childhood can be. Plus, I love seeing the styles in the old photos. I totally remember that episode of Full House and was actually thinking about it the other day as I convinced myself not to buy things with my credit card just because I could. My oldest sister Sara had the most god awful glasses when we were growing up. Giant and bright orange. It’s always good for laughs when we’re together and looking at old photos :P

1. Right now I am digging one-arm bent-over rows, one-arm dumbbell extensions and barbell 21s. And YES to a cable machine. You can do a whole frickin’ workout on one of those things!

2. Thankfully, I never had braces or glasses growing up. But I was obsessed with Alanis Morissette in the sixth grade and insisted on wearing my hair long and greasy like hers. I also had horrendously bushy and dark eyebrows. I started tweezing them in the 8th grade, and of course over-tweezed and looked frightening. I didn’t start to get it right until the 11th grade :P

Holly September 22, 2010 at 10:24 am

that picture of momma b just made my day. thank you.