lead legs.

by Janetha on September 16, 2010

in meals,moves

thanks for all the compliments on my newly found four eyes. i wore them again today and am getting a little more used to them!

i contemplated not blogging tonight. basically i have nothing clever to talk about, yet i have a number of food photos sitting on my camera card. writer’s block, if you will. i know this girl can relate to such situations.

but now marshall is watching the daily show and i am not really into it.. so blogging it is! if you fall asleep during this one, don’t say i didn’t warn ya.

lately, i’ve been eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast every morning. at my house. before i go to work. the reason for this is once i get to my office, all hell breaks loose. it isn’t usually like this. you may recall i used to always make breakfast at work. but lately, for some reason, it’s been wild.

image_thumb11

well, yesterday and today, my bosses have been out of town. which, in turn, equals peaceful mornings and cooked breakfasts. as you know, i had waffles yesterday. and today was a nice, slow cooked bowl of protein oatmeal.

banana cinnamon protein oatmeal with maple peanut butter, to be exact.

i cooked 1/3 cup old fashioned oats in 2 cups of water on low heat (on the stove) for about 30 minutes. yes, 30 minutes! when almost all of the water was absorbed, i added 1 scoop (30g) of vanilla 100% whey protein powder and an ungodly amount of cinnamon.

i topped it with 1/2 of a sliced banana and a hefty glob of mighty maple peanut butter. my favorite.

with a large black coffee, from the boy.

it was great hearing everyone chime in on whether or not they document ALL their eats and if you prefer reading those types of blogs or not.  my lunch demonstrates exactly why i stopped blogging every meal. it was a repeat of yesterday’s.. only today’s had cheddar cheese.

turkey, spinach, honey dijon, tillamook cheddar.. all on two seedy slices of dave’s killer bread. elise, i’m hooked. it’s too late.

head over to melissa’s blog for a nice little chat about low calorie bread (AKA bagel thins and sandwich thins).  so not into those things. it’s all about real, all natural bread. DKB, you win at bread.

served with more veggies, more hummus, what else?

IMG_9839 IMG_9845

moving on.

i didn’t take a photo of my snack today but i spent a huge amount of time fixing it and eating it.. because in all honesty, i was procrastinating my workout.

image_thumb2

my legs feel like LEAD thanks to susan’s killer lower body workout. you MUST try it!  i tweeted out for a little motivation and thanks to a couple lovely ladies, got my butt into gear.

i had cardio scheduled for today, but i really thought if i tried running on my own i would call it quits after 10 minutes. luckily there was a spin class at my gym at 6 PM tonight. i knew if i attended, i would be FORCED to push through the lead legs!

the spin class was fun! i hadn’t been to one in ages. i love how quickly they go by. i don’t love how the bike seat feels on my crotch about halfway in. i love how my heart rate soars. i don’t love having DOMS of the legs when the instructor decides to do strength training of the legs “for fun”. but for the most part, it was all love. and 410 calories burned. yehaw.

image_thumb11

dinner tonight was my stuffed peppers.

can we talk about irony for a minute? i bought the ingredients at the beginning of the week to make these tonight.  well, julie made them yesterday and i also saw stuffed peppers on tiff’s & sami’s blogs today. what the?! i love it when things like that happen.

i followed my recipe for the most part, but i omitted the mushrooms (sad, marshall is a hater) and the flax and i added 2 cups of cooked brown rice.

served with the SWEETEST ear of corn. GEEZ ,corn is so good right now! i also smothered my pepper in ketchup. it was lindsay approved ;)

IMG_9860 IMG_9858

yum. i can’t wait to eat leftovers.

we walked the dogs after dinner. truth be told, randy is getting a little.. um.. thick. shhh, don’t tell him i am talking about him. but really, he’s getting huskier. and he is not a husky. he is a basset hound. and they cannot be overweight, it is bad for their backs! so we need to get walking more often. before winter hits.

WELL turns out for having nothing to say, i sure rambled my face off. it’s what i do.

see you tomorrow for flashback friday! i am sure i can muster something up, i know i missed last week. my bad!

1. how do you feel about sandwich thins/bagel thins/low calorie “diet” breads? while they may taste alright, they do not fill me up. they leave me unsatisfied. i would rather eat 200 calories of real, hearty bread than 100 calories of nonsense. but to each her own! i know many of you love ‘em.

2. do you like spin/cycle classes? do you like the stationary bike for cardio in general? i never do the bike on my own, because it’s not motivating.. but i love spin class! it kicks my butt.

xo. janetha g. (crap i just typed B on accident! good thing there is back space.)

maria @ Chasing the Now September 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I like the taste of the Sandwich and Bagel Thins, but I hate that the sandwich thins I bought has artificial sweeteners (forgot to check the ingredients, crap!). I wouldn’t buy Arnold’s brand again because of this.

They work for me though because I am not a huge bread person. The stuff in the sandwich matters more to me.

kbwood September 16, 2010 at 11:14 pm

GIRL where did you find daves killer bread? I am so jealous!

Jenn September 16, 2010 at 11:34 pm

“relieved that it was just a new pair of specs, and not an additional head.” He he!!!

You look adorable in your new glasses!

Don’t like “diet breads”. They creep me out. I’m also not fond of spinning. I like to be outdoors. Yeesh, I sound like negative nancy. I’m not. Just to prove it I say 4 things I love. Dogs, working out on the beach, hiking in the mountains, and awesome people like you.

Heather September 16, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Where I live they only just started selling sandwich thins, I gave them a try and they are okay. Regular bread has a much better texture. The thins are dense and kind of sweet. I haven’t seen bagel thins in stores, only blog land.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 17, 2010 at 3:50 am

your last post, your new glasses, you look soooo smart, sexy, sophisticated, and just awesome in your new specs! Way to rock the look! And it will take time for your eyes to get used to your glasses but in no time you’ll be able to bounce back and forth between glasses and contacts and your eyes will compensate (I worked in an optometrist’s office for 5yrs in h.s. and college)

Anyway girl I dont pay any attn to sandwich thins stuff. It all has gluten and i tune it all out…

i love the stuffed peppers…and ketchup. I heart ketchup :) and you!

andrea September 17, 2010 at 3:57 am

I live for sandwich and bagel thins…they are my saving grace on weight watchers b/c they’re only one point. I love spin class if its an energetic and motivating teacher, it makes all the difference.

Erica September 17, 2010 at 4:13 am

Hello! . The stuffed peppers look awesome. I wish Josh liked peppers…I’d make them every week! Great job on the workout- that is a great burn. Poor Randy. Hope he slims up quick! English bulldogs are the same way so we have to keep Frank shapely ;) They tell us they want him to look like an hour glass not a bullet haha. So Josh naturally calls him bullet.

1. how do you feel about sandwich thins/bagel thins/low calorie “diet” breads? I think they’re great for day to day use but when I want a more special sandwich for dinner or something- I like a nice thick bread.

2. do you like spin/cycle classes? do you like the stationary bike for cardio in general? I’m the same way as you- LOVE a good spin class, but never hop on them on my own

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 17, 2010 at 4:40 am

I do not really like bread – I know that sounds weird, but unless it is a big loaf of french bread that I can dip in oil, it just isn’t my food of choice! I don’t really like the sandwich thins, but I don’t mind the bagel thins!

Lauren September 17, 2010 at 4:53 am

I don’t mind the thins. This is shocking, but I’m not the hugest fan of thick dense breads! I know, it’s so weird but that is why the thins I don’t mind.

I’ve never taken a spin class and to be honest, I’m scared to death. No idea why, but intense RPM classes scare the daylights out of me! :)

coffeeandthepaper September 17, 2010 at 4:57 am

Mmm that bread looks delish! I am a carb snob, so sandwich thins hold NO appeal for me. If someone likes them though, I don’t judge!

HappyMediumOfHealth September 17, 2010 at 5:05 am

Your stuffed peppers look delicious! My gram just picked some peppers from her garden so maybe I can snag a few and make this. I really like Arnolds new healthfull bread. It’s not quite as big as the rest of their bread but it still has the grainy, doughy, consistency.

As for biking, I have leg problems that prevent me from running or doing the elliptical so I have learned to love an upright stationary bike.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 17, 2010 at 6:05 am

I STILL have yet to try Mighty Maple. WTH?? I need to get on that.

I loooove stuffed peppers, looks like a great meal!

I like spin classes, but rarely [when I went to a gym] did I do the bike for cardio. I found it SO monotonous. But great for catching up on some magazines! ;)

xo
Kris

Tamizn September 17, 2010 at 6:18 am

Spin spin spin love it! x x x

lisaou11 September 17, 2010 at 6:19 am

I don’t mind Sandiwch Thins and I will eat them from time to time. Usually with turkey burgers or breakfast sandwiches. But, bagel thins, no thanks. I want a real bagel.

I know you eat the same thing everyday, but it still look sgood! You take some GOOD pics!

I can’t stand spinning! I hate just sitting the SAME spot. I get so anxious and want to run across the room or something!

Katie September 17, 2010 at 6:57 am

I love spin classes! I have been trying to get to the 5:45 am ones here at college, but I am always too tired! Luckily they have some early evening ones that I can go to. Spinning is just so invigorating! I love feeling pumped.

I have been buying “thins” for a while. And, just recently I quit. They don’t fill me up and they have tons of preservatives. Not to mention, you can buy a whole loaf of REAL bread for the same price, or sometimes even cheaper!

I now eat these whole wheat pitas from kroger (ephraim’s pita bread). they are still 100 calories, but are more dense and they have a good ingredient list and 6 g of protein! I also munch on english muffins. but i have had a hell of a time finding preservative free ones! maybe on my trip to tjs and whole foods i will find some good ones. :)

thedelicateplace September 17, 2010 at 7:04 am

i made these stuffed peppers (lamb, nutmeg, cinnamon, cauli rice) i think it’s a win! http://thedelicateplace.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/moroccan-spiced-stuffed-peppers/
1. i don’t eat any grains for a couple reasons. i don’t digest them well which results in intestinal cramping and malabsorption issues and i genuinely believe gluten in particular is the devil lol
2. i love spin but i don’t have a gym membership right now so i bike on my trainer at home, run outdoors or take a walk for cardio

Talia @ Texasgunslinger September 17, 2010 at 7:10 am

I’m with Jessica- I don’t really care for bread. I could never have pasta or bread again in my life and be A-OK. Rice, on the other hand, LOVE it! :)

I’ve actually never taken a spin class but watch from afar while doing morning cardio at 6am and always feel like it would be fun. You may have just inspired me to try it! :)

Have a great day! :)

Annie September 17, 2010 at 7:17 am

I actually really like the sandwich and bagel thins. Even as a kid, I could never finish sandwiches; I’d get about 1/2 way, then tear off the bread and just eat the middle. (Note: I love bread, just not on sandwiches apparently.) The sandwich thins are good because it lets me eat an entire sandwich without tearing it apart. I waste less with the sandwich thins.
Bagel thins: a typical bagel has about 300 calories, add on cream cheese and that number grows. I prefer to eat a bagel thin with cream cheese in the morning, then have a snack later.

Paige September 17, 2010 at 7:20 am

Haaaaaa in your first question, you say: “they do not feel me up. they leave me unsatisfied.” LOVE IT. I know it was just a typo, but it’s an AWESOME one.

But seriously to answer your questions, I just prefer to use bagel/sandwich thins for buns because they don’t fill me up so much. For sandwiches and everything else, I prefer “real” bread. As for the spin/cycle classes…they scare me. So I haven’t ever tried one!

Good luck with getting Randy into shape! :D

candice September 17, 2010 at 7:30 am

Hey Janetha! So now that I’m new to the food blog world, I have made a few of your recipes and have enjoyed each one! I just learned how to link.. so I’ll go through and link them back to your blog. :)
1. “diet” bread.. ugh. no thanks.. I like the hearty stuff to! Except for toast I like Ezeikel bread, its a whole protien and honestly not my favorite for sandwhich’s but toast for sure. I love seedy bread too. It actually taste more healthy to me than the “diet” bread.. which are bland and cardboardy..
2. Spin Class. I haven’t been forever.. last time I went.. my bum hurt. I think I need to purchase those “cute” biking shorts.. But I do want to get a new road bike soon (my last one got stolen and I’m saving up to get a new one..)
Love your blog, love the recipes :)

Di September 17, 2010 at 7:32 am

Those stuffed peppers look AMAZING. I need to make some. :)

MelissaNibbles September 17, 2010 at 7:43 am

You know how I feel about the thins. I want to make those peppers, but I don’t know if my cooking skills are up to snuff!

crunchygranolagal September 17, 2010 at 7:52 am

i’m late on this boat, but truth of the matter is i dislike what-i-ate-today food journal blogs, unless of course the writer has something interesting to say/ intrigues me. but you are always preparing such interesting meals, aaand you have a spunky attitude, so that changes things. :)

1. i hate low-cal breads. they are specifically for dieters and i’m not dieting, so why eat them? waste of tummy space! gimme the real deal.
2. spin classes in new york are RIDIC expensive – like, thirty bucks each. totally not worth it. would rather spend ten bucks less and sweat it out at hot yoga!

The Healthy Hostess September 17, 2010 at 8:43 am

I love spinning! I just decided to get my certification and start teaching classes since I am home with Anna! We will see how it goes…:)

Kate September 17, 2010 at 8:44 am

I love spin classes – nothing gets my heart rate up so high!

Two years ago I had a bout of posterior tibial tendinitis – and stationary biking was all the doctor said I could do. I thought I would lose my mind – but then I discovered the “random” setting. Seriously – try it out – the resistance changes every 10 seconds so it’s never boring! And I even inadvertently lost a few pounds simply because I burned more calories on the bike than I ever did on the elliptical. It’s now my go to exercise equipment at the gym!

kristastes September 17, 2010 at 8:54 am

I am not a fan of the thins at all…a gal needs some substance!

I LOVE spinning classes! I joined a gym in addition to my work gym just so I could take spin :) Good music and instructors are essentials though — we had a sub once and the teach was straight outta the 80’s with her outfit and music. Except for the one bit of Michael Jackson action it was brutal.

marie September 17, 2010 at 8:55 am

I love all bread but plain white! I love the hearty, seedy bread, but I also love the thins b/c they toast up well and become almost cracker like.

And I love, love, love spinning! I would HIGHLY recommend a gel seat, though, which makes it much easier on the crotch.

Happy weekend!

Angharad September 17, 2010 at 9:20 am

Not into the sandwich thins and such. I tried them a year or so ago and they were ok but I don’t know what the point is when I have no problem whatsoever with eating real gigantorsauras bagels. Plus I love hearty, crusty bread with all my heart – bread is not something I’m ever going to shy away from!

Spin! I used to go every week – even twice a week! Loved it AND had killer legs…not any more. I should hop back on that. Love the look of those stuffed peppers!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 17, 2010 at 9:49 am

I am sad that I cannot find mighty maple pb anywhere. I love maple and would die if I could find this nut butter! So jealous!! ;)

Hi, I’m Mary and I eat sandwich thins. LOL Sorry, had to. Yep, I’m on a sandwich thin kick right now. I wouldn’t say that I will be forever, but I’m eating them right now. And next week I’ll probably be on another kick. Hopefully we can still be friends :)

I am totally 100% addicted to spin class. I went this past tues and the class was totally full and hour before class :( I was SO sad. needless to say, #6 on the wait list did not get in. I was all geared up and looking forward to it. Does anyone else have to prep themselves for the pain ? lol. So, I did my own super intense elliptical work out (didn’t think I could get DOMS from elliptial, but I freakin did it – wahoo) and then weight machines while I *watched* everyone spin.. THEN, THREE women walked out after 20 min. I was SO PISSED. lol. I almost said something as I watched the third lady walk out after the warm up and ten min of class UGHHHHH! So, I signed up for the next FOUR weeks YAYAYAYYA! me :D Oops, guess I needed to vent about not getting my uber endorphin high HAHA! I do NOT like the stationary bikes.. at. all. I’d rather do anything but that. SO BORRING. But I do like riding outside with Brian who is almost as good as a spin instructor ;)

Freckled Foodie September 17, 2010 at 10:29 am

thanks for the shout out, dollface! you’re the best :) and your stuffed peppers look 10x better than mine!! then again, you’re 2xs the photographer i am… ;) happy friday mydear!

Holly September 17, 2010 at 10:35 am

i just caught up on like 8 posts of yours.

don’t hate me.

because i love you.

and i hope all the emotional/non-fun things in your life are getting resolved. they are no fun, but i have no idea you will power through them with that fabulous smile of yours.

i like red velvet cake. and packers t-shirts a la marshall. but really, i would like to get you, momma b, me and mama e altogether for one big workout and eat-a-thon.

let’s make this happen.

happy weekend love :)

Holly September 17, 2010 at 10:35 am

p.s. amen to blogger’s block.

melissadishes September 17, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I need to find that bread AND that PB ;-)

I have sandwich thins from time to time, but not often, the only thing I ever really use them for is when I want something as a wrapper or outside but don’t really want anything bready. When I want bready, I have some sort of bread.

I’m not a fan of the bike for spin or otherwise, just not my cup of tea. I take spin from time to time, but not regularly. Plus I think it was Cosgrove maybe, that said that too much bike causes pelvic tilt and stomach pooch.

Melissa @ Journey to Marvelous September 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I like the sandwich thins and bagel thins okay…it really depends on what I feel like and what I’m putting inside the sandwich. I love using the bagel thins to make bagel pizzas! They are the right thickness and I hate using think bagels for pizza. These are perfect!

julie September 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm

girl you know I LOVE SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha i actually can’t wait for tomorrow morning’s classsee :) woop woop!

i actually really like the bagel thins haha because i always think of the bread as a “holder” for the amazingness inside. so i’d rather have more of the insides taste and less bread.

ytotheummy September 17, 2010 at 2:47 pm

dangg that looks like some totally BOMB breaaad! like the kind i like to eat alone at all hours of the dayy :D those stuffed peppers look delish too. i’ve always wanted to try making some…

Naomi(onefitfoodie) September 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

ohhh girl you KNOW I love spin and teach it too! i taught last night a KILLER class and was left a sweaty mess, thats when I know its a kick ass class. I love teaching too because i can make it as intense or not intense as I want!!

the thins…meh…they really arent that satisfying and also dont taste that great, I would rather have a little of the REAL thing then lots of the artificial stuff with added chemicals in there! but hey, to each his own!

The stuffed pep’s look so good! i love stuffing peppers with cheese, meat veggies beans MMMMMM

emily September 17, 2010 at 3:29 pm

1. I wanted to hate the thins, I really did. But then Foodbuzz offered to send them to me for free, and I’m weak and cheap. I loooooove them. They are chewy in the most perfect way and I’d probably eat them if they had 300calories instead of 100.

2. I’m a bit afraid of spinning, one of the first classes I attempted resulted in bloodshed!

What Kate Ate September 17, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I like the sandwich thins/bagel thins but I still dig regular bread. Do you still count your meal/snack calories for yourself everyday?

BroccoliHut September 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Whoa. Those stuffed peps look pheonomenal!
I actually like the Bagel Thins because I don’t really crave the doughy aspect of bagels. I just like them as vehicles for stuffing (hummus, etc), and if I use a lower-calorie bread, then I can eat LOTS more stuffing:)

Mary (A Merry Life) September 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I’m not a fan of the low cal diet breads. They seem unreal and aren’t that filling and I hate anything diet labeled. I’d rather have real bread.

I’ve never done a spin class but I like the stationary bike sometimes on my own. Except it hurts. So I don’t do it long. LOL

runningwithin September 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I like sandwich thins, but real bread too. Depends on what i’m stuffing the sandwich with. I like spin classes, but it’s been awhile since I’ve done one. They’re at 5:45 at my gym (a.m.)and I just can’t bring myself to get up at five to make them. There is a world of difference between 5 and 6. Seriously.

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) September 17, 2010 at 5:59 pm

The “lite” breads don’t fill me up either. I’ll take a hearty slice of bread over those on any day, just for the fact of taste *and* satiety. :D

Those stuffed peppers look simply amazing!! :D

Runeatrepeat September 17, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I love all carbs, I love bagel thins. I also love bagel thicks ;)

Seriously though, I like using the sandwich thins for PB&J that I eat as a snack or in place of a bar. Same calories, yet seems like I’m getting more food for my buck.

Where can I get my hands on some of that bread?!

Kristen September 20, 2010 at 8:13 am

I am with you on the sandwich thins…I like the idea of having lower calories, but they don’t fill me up. So, I’d rather go ahead and get the extra calories to stay full. Also, my body seems to feel better when I eat natural things like Ezekial bread etc.

I love group fitness classes (I actually teach kickboxing), but I just can’t get into spin classes. I think it is time I give it another go. They are fantastic calorie burners, but I get bored being on a bike. I like to be moving around and I like being able to see things going on around me. I swear I’m slightly ADD.