favorite food ABCs.

by Janetha on September 9, 2010

in meals,moves

from the bottom of my little heart, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for all the kind comments on my last post.  none of you even know what it is that i am dealing with (and thank you for not asking what it was), yet everyone left kind, heartfelt words.  your words made me smile, your prayers are appreciated, and your friendship is more valuable than you know.

i was very inspired and motivated when i heard all of the workouts you guys have been pounding out.  i got home from work today and loafed around a bit. ate a bowl of cereal. and a chocolate chip cookie. THEN i went to the gym.

i didn’t want to think much. i turned my ipod on full blast in  my ears. if you’re wondering,  i was listening to face to face: big choice. GREAT album. you may not know this, but teenage janetha b. was quite the little punk rock gal. it’s safe to say face to face was my favorite band for a solid decade.  the lyrics to several songs on this particular album really struck a chord (haha, pun intended) with me and my current situation. i LOVE lyrics and how they really help you deal with emotions. does anyone agree?

anyway, back to my workout, which.. as i mentioned.. didn’t take a lot of thinking.  instead of changing the speed each minute like i usually do, i changed it according to distance.  every quarter mile, i went faster.  this was mindless because there is a display on the treadmills at my gym that have a picture of a track and a red line showing where you are on the track. every time i went around the track once (0.25 mile), i cranked the speed.

how to do 5 mindless miles on the treadmill:

speed (MPH) mileage
6.0 0.25
6.5 0.25
7.0 0.25
7.5 0.25
8.0 0.25

this circuit carried me 1.25 miles. i repeated it three times (a total of four circuits) for a total of 5 miles.  there were a couple 15 second periods that i slowed down to a 4.0 MPH so it ended up with the final stats:

• 5 miles
  • 44 minutes
  • max HR: 185 (!!)
  • average HR: 158
  • calories burned: 458

i did a 5 minute cool down which rounded the run out to 5.3 miles total.  i did 5 minutes of stretching before heading home.

things have been exhausting. when that happens, creativity goes out the window. so do photos of my food, for that matter. behold:

breakfast: a bowl of organic honey Os

lunch: 1/2 sandwich on sourdough wheat with turkey, cucumbers, hummus, salt & pepper. one apple + 1 TB mighty maple peanut butter

snack: a bowl of organic honey Os, one chocolate chip cookie

post workout bites (while making dinner): handful of turkey pepperoni & a small slice of whole wheat bread topped with cottage cheese

dinner: mish-mash pasta that i made up on a whim. it had:

• whole wheat farfalle
  • steamed broccoli & cauliflower
  • chopped basil
  • juice of one lemon
  • ~1/2 cup hummus
  • dollop of sour cream
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan
  • 1 clove garlic
  • fresh ground black pepper & sea salt

this was actually freaking delicious and i should have taken a photo. i will definitely be making it again because marshall loved it.. so when i do, i will snap a photo :)

because i have no meals to show you and no energy to type anything useful, i decided to do another mindless activity.. favorite food ABCs!

i am a weird girl. i was laying on my bed after work thinking of my favorite foods and wondered if i could think of one food that is my fave for each letter of the alphabet. here we go!

A: apple. my favorite variety is honeycrisp, braeburn coming in second. avocado almost won this one.. but i eat an apple almost daily, so i had to give apple the A.

B: bread!!! i could eat loaves of bread and never tire of it! some of my favorites are sourdough straight from san francisco and really seedy, grainy loaves.

C: cereal. i bought a box on tuesday. it is thursday.. and i can promise the box will be gone tomorrow. i ADORE cereal. aside from ice cream, it is my favorite food in the world. my favorite cereals are shredded spoonfuls, honey bunches of oats and cinnamon life.

D: dark chocolate. i can’t believe i shunned dark chocolate for so many years. now days, the darker, the better. love it with some sea salt! it is a great contrast.

E: eggs. i love eggs. from my head down to my legs.

F: fruit. okay, this is a cop out. but i really love ALL fruit! there is not one i dislike. i used to hate cantaloupe and honeydew but those days are long gone. i love it all. so much, in fact, that certain fruits will get individual love as the ABCs continue.

G: granola. it is right up there with cereal. too bad every time i eat it i am set back about 600 calories. i am sorry, mister granola box, but 1/3 cup is NOT a sufficient serving size. and at 200 calories a serving.. well, it adds up. but it is so worth it :)

H: hummus! my favorite store brand is sabra and my favorite at a restaurant is aristo’s in SLC. i would love to go to greece and try authentic hummus. my favorite hummus recipe is susan’s sunflower seed hummus.

I: ICE CREAM! vanilla bean, specifically. but i am not picky. favorite food ever. in the world. the end.

J: jam. one of the best foods ever to enter my mouth is my mom’s homemade raspberry jam. i grew up on it. i recently watched how she makes it and also cringed when i saw her dump about 18 cups of sugar into the pot. no wonder i love it so much! i don’t even care about the sugar, though. i will eat that jam until the day i die. it is SO good.

K: kebab. no, not like shishkabobs.. kebab from norway. i don’t know how to describe it. it is a pita full of the most delicious meat i have ever tasted in my life.. topped with an even more delicious sauce. and best eaten at 2 AM with a bunch of foreigners. oh norway, i miss you.

L: lasagna. like.. the real deal, full on lasagna. no healthy substitutes.  indulgent? yes. amazing? you bet! especially when made from scratch and eaten for days.

M: mexican! and lots of it. i like all mexican food and have never met a taco, burrito, enchilada or tortilla chip i didn’t like.

N: nut butters. favorites include peanut butter & co’s mighty maple and justin’s maple almond butter. wow, i think i like maple.. maybe that should have been M? as far as straight up, unflavored peanut butter goes, maranatha is my favorite.

O: oats! i love oats and how versatile they are. i never actually had oatmeal until 2008, but i always enjoyed oats in granola, granola bars, peanut butter bars, meatballs, and lots of other things. oats are great and definitely a staple in my house.

P: peaches. this is my favorite fruit ever. they are SOOO good right now! and they are best served with vanilla bean ice cream. true story.

Q: quinoa. fun fact: i still pronounce it “kwi-NO-ah” in my head.. i know, i know, it is “KEEN-wah”

R: roasted ANYTHING. cop out? maybe. but there is not one food that i have not loved roasted. some roasted favorites are broccoli, chicken and corn.

S: sweet potatoes. they are so delicious and versatile. i love them baked whole, baked as fries, fried as fries, shredded, grilled, you name it. my favorite way to eat a sweet potato is topped with cottage cheese, ketchup and sunflower seed butter. try it!

T: tofu. i have always loved tofu and am so glad i have learned several ways to prepare it at home. it is a great protein option!

U: unsweetened apple sauce. another staple in my house, i love using it in baking and also just eating straight up!

V: vanilla. it is my favorite flavor when it comes to any sweets. i usually quadruple the amount of vanilla extract called for in a recipe. what can i say? i am a vanilla bean queen. fun fact: my blog name almost was “vanilla bean and everything in between” but meals & moves is much catchier and describes my blog better.

W: watermelon. my second favorite fruit. i will be sad this season when i bite into a bad watermelon.. because there are few things better than a perfect watermelon.

X: xanthan gum! there aren’t many foods that start with an X, but this handy little powder is something i couldn’t live without. it makes my shakes super, duper thick & creamy. get some!

Y: yogurt. greek, specifically. my favorite brands are oikos and chobani.

Z: zucchini. i LOVE grating it and using it instead of noodles. i also love zucchini bread!

now i know my favorite food ABCs.. next time won’t you sing with me?  no really.. if you do this, let me know and i will link back :)

i gotta go ice my knees. they hurt.

1. what are your top 5 favorite foods? ice cream, cereal, bread, peaches & mexican.

2. can you say your alphabet backwards? or do you have any random talents like that? i can. my gramps taught me when i was little.. maybe 6 or so. i have remembered it ever since. i can also blow bubbles off my tongue!

maria @ Chasing the Now September 9, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I cannot say my alphabet backwards, but I did just buy some xantham gum and I am excited to try it out when it gets here!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 9, 2010 at 10:00 pm

You can e-mail me anytime if you need to vent, whatever! Hang in there girl :)

<3 Face to Face. Seriously brings me back! I was into that kind of music in the good old days too.

Yes, I love lyrics during rough times. Music helps so much.

Awesome workout!!!! I need to try cranking up the speed every .25 good idea!

top 5 foods of the moment:

1. Hummus
2. Avocados.
3. mac & cheese (I don't have it often but I LOVE it!)
4. pita bread
5. saag paneer

I CANNOT say the alphabet backwards. I wish I could!

Angharad September 9, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Woah. Top five favourite foods is a big deal! Let’s see.

1. Cheese (english cheddar if I have to choose)
2. Pizza
3. steak (on special occasions, at fancy restaurants, done perfectly medium rare please)
4. bananas
5. ice cream

That was intense! How is bread not on my list?! Argh! I have to click submit before I sit here agonizing for hours! xoxox

Katie September 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Oh I totally want to do this ABC thing! It is so weird, though…we have a lot of the same favorites…some even down to the TYPES of foods. For example: cereal. you love shredded spoonfuls, honey bunches, and life. GAH! Me too!!! Well, there is also a plethora of others, but yeah, those are so good!

Hmm, mexican. I love it all, just wish it didn’t upset my tum tum so much.

Bread. I love my carbs! The oaty, seedy kind is my favorite too! I thank my mom so much for switching us kids over to whole wheat bread once we hit a certain age. We were eating white bread constantly. I think when I was around 6 we made the switch. I am never going back!

Fruit. I used to HATE cantaloupe and honeydew too! Now, I love it!

Dark chocolate: I thought it was too bitter. Nowadays it’s one of my favorite indulgences. And, what’s nice is you only need a little slice. ;)

Of course, I am also obsessed with nut butters, sweet potatoes, and more. :)

Maybe this is the reason why I love reading your blog. I eat practically the same things!

Mary (A Merry Life) September 9, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Yay for workouts! I’m glad you got one in and relieved a little stress.

I love the favorite food abcs and I’m totally going to do that on my blog. :)

My top five favorite foods are mexican (all), cereal, caramel slices, black beans, and pizza.

Tay September 9, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I LOVE your ABCs!!! I will definitely be doing that in the future – in honor of YOU! Top 5? Hmmm…
1. Peanut flour obvs
2. Nut butter of course
3. Hot chocolate
4. Teriyaki chicken
5. Wine

And no. I am not talented enough to say my ABCs backwards.

Hillary September 10, 2010 at 12:22 am

I want to write my food ABC’s…and I also want to try that treadmill workout – it sounds killer! However, I am currently stretching out my behind, so I may not get around to it tmrw.

lo September 10, 2010 at 12:38 am

honestly whenever i am dealing with something, working out, (no matter how daunting at the time) always makes me feel at least 100% better afterward. I hope everything gets better! Oh and cookies always extend happiness, so keep enjoying them! Whatever u are dealing with know that WE are here for yoU!

muah!

Lo Lo

MelissaNibbles September 10, 2010 at 3:09 am

I wouldn’t be able to stay on the treadmill that long!

My 5 fave foods: Cheese, frosting, sugar, cookie dough, cheese sauce.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 10, 2010 at 4:33 am

I really don’t think I could pick, but I think I’d go with mexican, chocolate, bacon, fruit, and yogurt?

Lauren September 10, 2010 at 4:48 am

Oh sweetheart!!!! I think I missed your last post because I truly had no idea that you were going through a rough time right now. My heart goes out to you!! You know I’m always here, whatever it is and if you ever need anything love.

You are too cute with your ABC’s! I think most kids would learn the alphabet much faster by using your method! ;)

balancejoyanddelicias September 10, 2010 at 5:04 am

You’re soooo creative… I don’t know if I can say ABC food for sure!
favorite food= kabocha, corn, bread, pizza and peach.

Erika September 10, 2010 at 5:19 am

I have wayyyy too many favorite foods to name! I love Mexican Food though! :-)
PS- I can’t say the alphabet backwards but my friend can do it very fast!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 10, 2010 at 5:54 am

I was quite the punk rock gal in high school, too! Funny. I still love the music, I just left [most] the piercings and chains at home ;)

Top 5 favorite foods? SO hard. In no particular order… Pork belly. Gnocchi. Ice Cream. Burritos. Pizza. I go from sophisticated to college kid in 5 words. bahaha.

And no special talents, I don’t think. I can roll my tongue! I’m boring, I guess!

xo
Kris

naomi(onefitfoodie) September 10, 2010 at 6:47 am

i love your fun and creative posts! yay :) I am sending X’s and O’s to you too :) hope everything gets 100% better!!

peanut butter
oatmeal
greek yogurt
key lime pie
middleastern/greek cuisine

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices September 10, 2010 at 6:58 am

Love your post- it made me smile :) I hope things are getting better in your world….remember today is FRIDAY…so that should help a little :)
Favorite foods:
1. Kraft (ONLY) Mac & Cheese
2. Cereal (faves: honey bunches of oats & any ‘kid’ cereal)
3. Frozen Yogurt- fave flavor- red velvet or peanut butter
4. Peanut Butter- good ol’ fashioned JIF
5. Pumpkin bread

julie September 10, 2010 at 7:27 am

i feel like if i were to do the abc’s of my food it would look just like yours excepppt i hate lasagna so instead of lasagna i think i would haveeee ummmm lettuce? haha thats such a copout but anything except lasagna. i also would replace watermelon with ummmm something else because sadly i’m not a fan of watermelon!

whatever it is you’re going through i’m sending massively enormous amounts of bear hugs your way ;)

runningaroundnormal September 10, 2010 at 8:16 am

I still secretly pronounce it ki-know-ah too, heheh.
I can NOT say the alphabet backwards. For the life of me!
Hope everything turns out OK for what you’re dealing with girlfriend! Have a lovely Friday!!

lowandbhold September 10, 2010 at 8:24 am

I love lyrics too, and I’m still kind of a punk rock girl (on the inside). I like almost every genre of music (except techno) and it seems there’s always a lyric that can just make you feel understood in every circumstance. Love it.

Five fave foods: ice cream, pizza, sushi, pad thai, cheese

Feel better girl! I’m thinking ’bout ya.

HappyMediumOfHealth September 10, 2010 at 8:26 am

Your food ABC’s were great! I think my top 5 foods would be ice cream with big chunks of candy, margaritas (not a food but it still counts in my book!), a big juicy burger, sweet potatoes, and any kind of fruit!

Karin September 10, 2010 at 9:11 am

I hope things are going to be better soonish hun!

Haha I recently thought about my favourite foods too and realized that it was absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to choose. Even thinking of my top 5 fruits is so overwhelming ;).
I’ll try it anyway.. sautéed veggies (with a bit of olive oil), porridge, home made sweet potato fries, pasta, berries.

Tina September 10, 2010 at 9:16 am

How fun!! I have plenty of time to think of it through the day too. When singing the ABCs for the 100th time with little M ;)

Still thinking about you and praying for you miss Janetha G! Hugs!!!

Lisa September 10, 2010 at 9:22 am

5 Favorite foods: cheesecake, ice cream, wine, bread, raspberries. :)

lisaou11 September 10, 2010 at 9:40 am

I agree with you on honeycrisps! so glad its time to eat them! 2nd favorite apple is pink lady!!

Id say mine are…pizza, donuts, sweet potatoes, toast and…..blackberries!

Graze With Me September 10, 2010 at 9:43 am

Good food choices there, lady! I would have a hard time deciding between avocado and apples too. I haven’t had an apple in so long though! Maybe 3 months? I always buy so much other summer fruit that apples are an afterthought when not in season. Soon though, and I can’t wait to get my hands on some pink ladies or honeycrisps.

My 5 – gelato, champagne (does that count?), avocado/guacamole, warm pita bread and my mom’s chocolate zucchini cake <—–that was a hard list to make!

Jenny September 10, 2010 at 10:04 am

I hope you are feeling good janetha. You are truly such a positive and motivating presence in the blogworld, your posts make me smile :)

1. Top five?? bananas, peanut butter, oatmeal, any ethnic food, and eggs…(all subject to variations though)

2. I don’t think I have any weird talents, but if I think of one, i’ll get back to you! ;)

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen September 10, 2010 at 10:16 am

I love the ABCs idea! I’m not sure what I would do, though, because a lot of my favourite foods start with C (cookies, chocolate chips, cereal, carrots… eek!)

studentofhealthyliving September 10, 2010 at 11:34 am

Top Five- Thai Food, The Blondie from Applebee’s, Yogurt, Pineapple, and Portobello Mushroom Ravioli
Special Talent Hmm that’s a toughy.
I hope whatever you are dealing with gets better! ~Sending positive vibes your way~

Julia September 10, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I LOVE your fave food ABC’s, may have to steal that idea in the future.
And I’m sorry to hear about your rough week – great job on getting a workout in, I hope it made you feel better, and I hope that things get better quickly. You are such a beautiful person.

a taste of health with balance September 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm

feel better chica, and very impressive run stats, especially since you’re going through a rough time.
i can blow bubbles off my tongue too :)

coffeeandthepaper September 10, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Okay let’s talk music. I need to check out face to face apparently. Also, I do the same thing when I don’t want to think about something in the present. I turn to a band that was my favorite in a time when things were simpler – and I am immediately transported back to that place mentally. Music is magic!

Lauren September 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I loved your list and felt like I was saying, “mmhmm, yup, me too” throughout so much of it. Is it weird that I like that I kinda sorta look Mexican and I like that because I love Mexico,the people, and the food so much? I like being mistaken for a local. But I’m Italian and Irish, and love that too! Ok. I’m weird. Still praying for you!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) September 10, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Top 5 favorite foods: pizza, dark chocolate, oatmeal, blueberries and roasted beets. In no particular order. :D

Praying for ya, girl!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm

You are too funny! Great post. I loved your ABC’s of food. Makes me want to do it just for fun ;)

Top 5: mexican food, pizza, bread, cake batter ice cream, nut butters (sorry fruits and veggies, but you just don’t taste as good)

I cannot say my ABC’s backwards! What a fun talent. Can you do it after a few cocktails ? hehe As for me… hmmm… I can fold my tongue, but not sure that’s a talent. …yep, that’s all I got. lol

marisa September 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Love the ABC’s… I sometimes go through the alphabet thinking about things to get to sleep, but never foods. I’ll do that tonight because I know my mind will be racing! I’ve taught the girls the ZYX’s… Gramps would be proud! xo

BroccoliHut September 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm

You are my hero for coming up with your favorite food ABCs. I’d rather do that than count sheep any day.
1. Top five foods: tofu, hummus, almond butter, broccoli, and apples.
2. I don’t have any random word-y talents, but my sister does–give her any word and she can spit it out to you backwards within seconds. Hence, one of my nicknames is “enilorac.”

Rachael September 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Backwards alphabet? Check. Times tables past five? Fail.
Five foods – beets, good dark rye peasanty bread, apple cider vinegar (in my world, it’s a food), hummus and almond butter.

Cathy K September 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm

love this idea, janetha! very fun to read! :)
my five: cereal x5 – haha! ok…cereal; apple crisp; tofu; celery (serious); scones
have a great weekend!
love how you found awesome ideas for each letter of the alphabet – so creative!

Kristie September 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Hahah awesome ABCs. I’m going to have to try that sometime although I’ll probably get stuck on it for a couple hours trying to come up with some good ones… sounds like the perfect procrastination activity to me! And I agree with a huge chunk of your list, you definitely picked some winners :) Seriously, this was so fun to read that I just might be doing it myself. Probably tomorrow at work weeeee.
Not even going to attempt the backwards alphabet… ugh.
As for 5 fav foods, this is ever shifting. But first 5 that come to mind: roasted squash, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter, bananas!

lizzyj1305 September 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Hi beautiful friend!
ahh brain-off workouts are the best when a lot is on your mind! way to rock 5-miles!
my 5 favorite foods=apples, grapes, popchips, salsa, fage yog.
I hope you have a great weekend, I’m sending happy vibes your way!!
xoxo!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 10, 2010 at 8:46 pm

i have random talents that arent fit for a comment field, we’ll leave it at that :)

so glad you are doing better, or at least you sound like you’re doing better, and for that, I am grateful!!

top foods = green veggies, super hot coffee. need those things daily, everything else, meh and i can live without :)

emily September 10, 2010 at 8:59 pm

1. Jalapeño cheddar nachos, Pad See Eiw, baby carrots, Thai young coconuts, and popcorn.
2. I am absolutely talentless.
(3) I didn’t get to comment on your last post, but I hope that things are starting to seem better!

charlotte September 10, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Janetha!! I finally found you! After I got your sweet comment on my blog, I couldn’t find you. (I know, it’s embarrassing it took me this long to figure out how to Google… ) Anyhow, you are amazing and I’m loving your blog! My top 5 fave foods are: ice cream, biscuit dough, apples (Honeycrisps are like apple crack!!!), artichokes (I have one nearly every day – they’re my splurge) and chocolate (I may be a cliche but I’m a happy cliche!).

So glad we found each other!

Freckled Foodie September 13, 2010 at 9:06 am

i’m glad your spirits are lifted! :D

1. top three are dark chocolate dreams, fro-yo, garlic hummus, chocolate pb vitatops, and strawberry chobaniii.

Freckled Foodie September 13, 2010 at 9:07 am

i’m glad your spirits are lifted! :D

2. i cannotttt say the alphabet backwards…buuuuut i cannnn spin a basketball on my finger foreverrrrrrrr. :)

Krista September 14, 2010 at 8:55 am

I LOVE this idea! It’s briiliant. I think I’m gonna have fun making a list of my own! :)