flashback friday: puppy love.

by Janetha on September 3, 2010

in meals

no rambling tonight.

i need to unplug!

but there is always time for a little flashback friday lovin’ :)

as i mentioned, wednesday marked 3 years since i lost my first pup.. mable ann.  she died tragically when hit by a car. she was with my ex at the time, who i co-owned her with. a bit of advice: don’t buy a dog with someone that you don’t plan to marry.

anyway, in her honor, today’s flashback is puppy photos of my three dogs. because who doesn’t love puppies???

mable ann (june 30, 2001 – september 1, 2007)

pre-digital camera days. sorry for the bad quality! unfortunately i don’t have any other puppy photos of her online.

rip

penelope jane (born august 18, 2008)

such a little bean!

randall bernard (born july 5, 2005)

i am so happy that i can call randy my own.. he’s really marshall’s dog.

although all puppies are cute.. basset hound puppies may possibly be the cutest puppies around.

i will be back sometime this weekend with some rambles about meals & moves.. since i know that’s what this blog is supposed to be all about. but sometimes, puppies will suffice :)

1. what is your favorite breed of dog? i love ALL dogs.. but i am partial to the larger breeds. i want to own a bernese mountain dog, a german shephard, a brown doberman, a newfoundland, a bracco italiano.. all of the above.. please and thanks :)

2. how many pets have you had in your lifetime? in addition to penny, randy & mable, i also had a cat (blue) from the age of 6 to 20 (he lived to be 14 years old!) and my brother had a golden retriever (rooster) that he got when i was 4.

Lauren September 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm

AWwww, Puppy love is the best way to start my weekend! :)

Caitlin September 3, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Such a sad story about your sweet Mable, can’t even imagine. Basset hound puppy is out-of-control cute. Well actually all the pics are. Love all doggers too, though I’m partial to golden retrievers…and newfoundlands…basically anything that looks like a mini bear :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I love golden retrievers! I want one soo badly.

Chelsea at Striking Balance September 3, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Oh my gosh those pictures are soo cute. I have a golden retriever and a shitzu-pomeranian right now (well my family does). I love them both, it is nice having one of each size so I get the best of both worlds! I don’t think I could pick a favourite breed though, I think big dogs like retrievers, german shepherds,and labs are so beautiful. But I also think littler dogs like beagles are adorable, so who knows what i will get!

Jenn September 3, 2010 at 7:18 pm

You did not just post this! SO. CUTE. I. DIE. Every pup single pup is so cure. Penny in the pumpkin. Randy’s ears. Sweet Mable.

I can’t pick a favorite. I love all dogs. If I was going to get another dog I think I would adopt from a shelter. If I was going to get a purebred I think it would be a Cavalier.

BroccoliHut September 3, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I can’t wait to get my own Jack Russell Terrier…I’ve already picked out a name and everything (Margot).
I had a yellow Lab from ages1-14, a cat from 3-6, and I’ve had Ted since I was 6. Chester has been around since I was 14. Whew!

Kelly @Coconuts and Freckles September 3, 2010 at 7:27 pm

What adorable pictures! Oh, I want to be a dog owner again! Not sure what my favorite dog is. I have always thought the labs were so cute…we shall see!

homecookedem September 3, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Randy melts my heart every time, but omg… those puppy pictures! So stinkin adorable!! Those EARS!! :) I love hounds and I definitely want our next doggie to be a basset! ;)

I’ve had 4 cats that I could call my own (all have passed, but one who still lives with my parents) and I have our 2 dogs Cooper and Ripsey.

Shannon September 3, 2010 at 7:31 pm

OH MY GOSH!!!!! those paws on puppy randy are too freakin cute. tragic story about mable, but i’m so glad you have two amazing furballs in your life! i’ve had one pup, a cocker spaniel who’s been gone for awhile… can’t wait until i have enough space to get my next!

Abby September 3, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I can never NOT comment when you do dog posts. Good lord they’re adorable. My mom is like Dr. Doolittle so we’ve always had animals–dogs, cats, birds, horses, etc. The past few years it’s been the dog and cat, even though the (deaf) cat is 16 with one tooth and a crooked crotch. We love them all!

Di September 3, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I love puppies more than anything in the world. They’re always SO SO cute.

I guess I like smaller to medium sized dogs. Not tiny tiny ones, not ones that could knock me over (although I don’t mind them either, but if I get one it’s going to be somewhere in the middle). My friends got a wheaton terrier back in May and I love love him. He’s so freakin’ adorable.

lindsay September 3, 2010 at 7:46 pm

oh my, randy’s ears are ADORABLE!! We have a chocolate lab that is super spoiled but just the best dog!!

Leianna September 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I’m not really a dog fan but those are some cute pictures of yours. I’ve had many cats in my life and had to convince/beg my husband to get one of our own 2 years ago.
Animals are so special to us and I believe everyone should own one to feel complete!

melissadishes September 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I’ve only ever had 1 dog. Sheldon was a cocker spaniel that I got in high school, he died 3 years ago. Killed when he was bit by a rattlesnake :-( He was 12 years old.

I currently have 2 cats, Missy and Chanel (ages 10 and 8). Before that I had my childhood cat Mittens that I had from age 8-18, she died of cancer when I was a senior in high school.

Dan and I have thought about getting a dog, but his childhood dog just died and he’s still upset about it, so it may be a long while. that and we don’t really agree on breeds

Laura September 4, 2010 at 2:43 am

I love large breeds too, I have a GSD cross at the moment and I’d love to have an Akita and a Weimaraner and a Samoyed and a Chow Chow… the list could go on and on!!

I have a dog, a cat, two guinea pigs and a rabbit at the moment and in the past I have had 3 russian hamsters, 1 hamster, 1 gerbil, 2 fish, 1 guinea pig and I think 7 rabbits.. I love animals :-)

Lori (Finding Radiance) September 4, 2010 at 5:14 am

Awwww…. puppy pictures make my heart melt!

Growing up we had 2 dogs and 4 cats. When I moved out on my own after I graduated college, I got a kitten and I had her for 18 years until she passed away last year. We also have one other cat that is now 3.

If I were to get a dog, I would either get a bull terrier or a beagle.

MelissaNibbles September 4, 2010 at 5:24 am

My ovaries are crying for a dog.

April September 4, 2010 at 5:26 am

OMG…I agree, Randall Bernard is the cutest puppy ever! Don’t let Boomer know I said that. I can hear you yelling his entire name when he gets in trouble LOL! I yell Boomer Sue.

I used to be a smaller dog person until we got our girl and now I like bigger breeds better as well.

Lee September 4, 2010 at 6:02 am

I love that Randy’s full name is Randall Bernard.

I am a fan of big dogs too. I have had two golden retreivers in my lifetime – my current one, Murphy and one that I had from age 6-18, Ginger.

simplyshaka September 4, 2010 at 6:03 am

Puppy love is the best kind of love.

Randy’s ears rock. And Penelope is one of the cutest things ever, I just want to cuddle with her. I am sure Mable Ann is running around in puppu heaven and having a splendid time!

I’ve had three dogs in my life (Lincoln being mine only, the other two have been my family’s). I wish I had the time, space and money to have more!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 4, 2010 at 6:36 am

AH-dorable. Love it.

I love, love, love bulldogs. I want one so bad! I also like slightly larger breeds, but I am partial to medium-sized dogs.

My parents, however have an adorable pekingese that I love to death, Kahlua. He’s pretty much a walking ottoman. ;)

As for pets… I have had a million and one fish, a toad, a snake, 12 gerbils [don’t ask], 2 rabbits, 10 cats and a dog. Whew. We’re pet people ;)

xo
Kris

Teri [a foodie stays fit] September 4, 2010 at 6:39 am

OH MY GOSH – those EARS!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

My favorite breed is a boxer. Obviously. :) I also really like American Bulldogs, English Bulldogs, and pretty much any dog with short hair and a short snout. :)

I had 3 dogs growing up. Runner, Sadie, and Kitty. All strays, all so sweet.

actorsdiet September 4, 2010 at 7:05 am

oh my god my heart is melting with the basset puppy pix. abe had 2 growing up. they are quite adorable with those long ears!

julie September 4, 2010 at 7:09 am

awwwww excellent flashback! i was shinin my pearly whites the whole way through! hope you get your unplugness on to the umpteenth degree this weekend!

Little Bookworm September 4, 2010 at 9:02 am

Love the photos, especially Randy as a puppy! :)

coffeeandthepaper September 4, 2010 at 9:51 am

PUPPERS!
I had no clue how cute bassett hound pups were. I had a lab but she lives with a different family now : (

Anne September 4, 2010 at 10:34 am

Okay. randy as a pup actually brought tears to my eyes. i may need to get a dog at some point.

a September 4, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Oh my look at little Randy . He is such a cutie.

1. Hmm my favorite breed I can’t pick one.
Of course American Bulldog since i have an AB puppy , but I am partial to all bulldogs and desperately want a fat english one . I also adore golden retrievers because I grew up with one. Cody lived til she was 16 . She was awesome . Never had any health problems just one day it was her time. I love labs because my bfs family has always had one. Harken, their yellow lab , is such a sweetie.
I too, am partial to larger breeds.

2. How many pets i ve had. Hmm. various fish . The most lengthy being a feeder goldfish named April that lived for 4 years. 5-6 cats . My parents never let me have a dog :(

Philippines September 4, 2010 at 8:55 pm

My cat is sick :(

Carla in Sydney September 5, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I have never seen a bassett hound puupy before….OH MY GOD Randy was the cutest pup EVER! Look at his giant paws!!! They are all gorgeous though….all dogs are!

nic - the auspicious squirrel September 6, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Ohhhh!!!! Randy is just soooo cute! He looks so much like my ‘Floofy’ did when he was a pup. This Feb will be three years since we lost him to cancer. I feel your pain… hug Penny and Randy.

I posted old puppy photos of ‘Floofy’ on his birthday (http://theauspicioussquirrel.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/tres-de-mayo/), ‘Little-bit’ is in one of the photos too!

I love it when you post puppy pictures!

My fav pup breed, basset hounds! It wasn’t always so, but after having two of them since they were puppies I can’t think of another breed that really fits our personalities better. :D