things september brings.

by Janetha on September 2, 2010

in meals

oh, hello, i just realized it is a new month. i think i was still stuck in august yesterday.

did you realize that today is 90210 day?

[source]
yep. 09-02-10 :) i used to love that show! the OG episodes, of course.

yesterday was september first and marshall reminded me that it had been three years since this sweet girl was sent to doggy heaven (by a horrible hit-and-run culprit…)

moab 025

miss you every day, mable.

it was fun hearing about your five ingredient fixes! there were some clever 5 ingredient snack and meal ideas.  i thought i would share a few:

• tay: yogurt, stevia, peanut flour, jam and love
  • kristin: garlic parm chicken: chicken breast, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt&pepper [counting them as one! ;)]
  • naomi: oatmeal, egg whites, blueberries, strawberries, cinnamon
  • heather: whole wheat rotini, can of garbanzos, can of diced tomatoes, feta cheese, fresh spinach
  • susan: no bake protein bars: raw oatmeal, chocolate chips, protein powder, peanut butter, water

great combos!

*****************************************

breakfast was a repeat of yesterday’s. lunch was a repeat of monday’s. my snack was a repeat of tuesday’s which i realized you guys never saw.. but for the record: greek yogurt + vitatop. even my moves today were repetitive: another run outside (it was great!)

in other words.. nothing exciting has been going on in the ol’ meals and moves department today, so i thought i would share some things about september!

two blog world september announcements!

first off, tina over at faith, fitness, fun has started a 30 day movement for the month of september. yes, i know i am a little late to announce this as it is the 2nd of september.  sorry, i am always a day late and a dollar short!

30 Days of Self-Love Reflections

in tina’s words:

I am launching The 30 Days of Self – Reflection Challenge for the month of September to help us each come closer to self love and truly believing in our worth as beautiful human beings. This movement will serve to help us all learn to love ourselves more and to uplift one another in the process. To begin to realize our true beauty and value. To battle the inner dialogue that strives to bring us down. In short, it will help us to love ourselves like we should have never stopped doing. To learn, check out this page.

each day, tina will post a topic for us to reflect on check out the posts so far!

this is an awesome movement that we can all benefit from.  please take a moment to check it out!

and the second announcement..

Clicks for Books

mara from what’s for dinner is contributing all her blog revenue for the month of september to the A to Z Literacy Movement.

the A to Z Literacy Movement has sent hundreds of books to Zambia to help their school maintain a curriculum. however, the mission is never complete. these kids will keep growing up, and keep needing new books to read and learn from.

in addition to donating her blog revenue, mara is fundraising for the cause.  all those who donate will be entered to win an awesome prize pack, you can read more about that here.  to make a donation, you can go to this page. to be entered in the giveaway, all you need to do is forward your donation confirmation e-mail to mara@imadedinner.net and you’ll be entered.

if you can’t afford to donate, please just click over to mara’s blog to help raise funds through clicks! some of her posts you may be interested in:

start clickin’!

let’s see.. what else does september bring?

national food holidays for the month of september!

september is:

• national biscuit month
  • national “better breakfast” month
  • national chicken month
  • national cholesterol education month
  • national honey month
  • national mushroom month
  • national organic harvest month
  • national papaya month
  • national potato month
  • national rice month

WOW! a lot going on this month.  i think i will work toward better breakfasts, myself.

image [source]

speaking of breakfast.. guess what the first week of september is???

NATIONAL WAFFLE WEEK!

image [source]

i know that is exciting for you waffle fans out there :) don’t worry.. there are still 5 days left of national waffle week!

well.. that’s all i’ve got!  i am off to grab some indian food with a friend. YUM. thursdays are a good day to go out to dinner! theyget you ready for friday.

see ya tomorrow for flashback friday :) (and the start of a LONG weekend, yay for holidays!)

1. what national food holiday for the month of september are you most amped about? i love mushrooms and all the fruits/veggies of the season, so i will say mushroom month and organic harvest month!

2. are you doing anything fun for labor day weekend? i want to go camping! we shall see…

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 2, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I’m most intrigued by papaya month – I don’t think I have ever had one!!

homecookedem September 2, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Happy 90210! :)

Biscuit month?! YES!! I love biscuits!! :)

atasteofhealthwithbalance September 2, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I loveee love love September. National honey month for sure- my dad is a beekeeper and we have the best, darkest raw organic honey. yumm! and saturday is a big party at my aunts house.. im making a ton of sushi for it
I believe this is the first time I’m commenting, but I’ve been reading you for a while now! Just started my own blog today and added you to my blogroll. Have a great night !

Talia @ Texasgunslinger September 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm

ohhhh, I think I like that National Honey Month. I ♥ honey! It’s my “honey” :)

This weekend my Hunk and I are going to the Penn State vs. Youngstown State game in Happy Valley! Football season is starting! YAY!!! :)

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) September 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm

You made me feel so much better about September. I have been feeling kinda sad because summer is ending but feel kind of excited now. Thanks Janetha!

Tina September 2, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I think honey, mushrooms, and biscuits are great to celebrate. Not all together of course. That would be weird. And gross.

Thanks for the shout out! And I love what Mara is doing too. How cool.

simplyshaka September 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Well I’m definitely excite for potato month of course–does this mean I can celebrate each day and have it be ok??! :)

I am high in demand this Labor Day wknd and I am exhsuated thinking about my wknd–I have two sorority sisters coming in town plus my parents, it going to be so much fun! And I am getting my hair done and that is waaaaaaay overdue!

Lauren September 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm

What if we took all of these and made one big meal dedicated to September’s national food celebrations. Wow, now that would be one sick 5 ingredient fix! :)

Heather September 2, 2010 at 6:53 pm

um, i’m totally crying about sweet mable! i just gave my pups a big hug and kiss… :)

runningaroundnormal September 2, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Woot! I celebrated national waffle week today :)
Have a good time at dinner (Indian food – yum!)

Heather (Where's the Beach) September 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for the mention! Totally appreciate it. Oh mushrooms all the way. Yum. No big plans for this weekend other than hitting up a baseball game on Saturday night. Maybe another one Sunday afternoon with my dad and step-mom. It’s supposed to be cooler out so that’ll be nice for a change. Hope you have a great one!

eatingmachine September 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm

i’m going camping! i haven’t been in forever.

Erika September 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm

There are some real random National Holidays out there…I LOVE IT!!! :-D

Chelsea at Striking Balance September 2, 2010 at 9:29 pm

aww RIP Mable.

I lovee mushrooms, so definitely that one. Waffle week is pretty exciting though, too!

actorsdiet September 2, 2010 at 9:30 pm

happy 90210! i will be meeting my new niece mella for the first time on labor day, plus seeing the rest of my little monsters, i mean, nephews.

was in SLC the other day and thought of you!

GetHealthyWithHeather September 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I’m all for a better breakfast month! Its my ultimate favorite meal of the day.. Always looking to make it tastier.

Jenn September 2, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I loved 90210. I though Brenda and Dillon were the coolest and I cried when they broke up.

Awww Mable. What a gorgeous sweet looking dog. How sad.

I’m with ya on the mushroom day. The honey day sounds pretty sweet too. (Stupid pun intended!)

MelissaNibbles September 3, 2010 at 3:55 am

I guess I’m excited about honey. I love it…it’s sweet :)

I’m sorry about your pup. I bet he’s having a blast in doggy heaven though!

I’m going to Maine for the weekend. Yay! I hope you have a great weekend!

coffeeandthepaper September 3, 2010 at 4:32 am

Oooh it’s been too long since I had a biscuit. I need to remedy that.

Have fun at your Indian food feast love!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 3, 2010 at 5:47 am

Great links!

I am with ya on the mushroom month & organic harvest month. I’m also trying to be more creative with my breakfasts [smoothie every morning no more! ;)]

I’m not doing anything exciting labor day weekend, though I have FOUR days off! We may be going to the Canadian National Exhibition. And I’ll probably finish my school project. Boooring.

xo
Kris

brandi September 3, 2010 at 6:36 am

You know I’m excited about biscuit month :)

This weekend is going to be awesome!
– weekend with family, including my Dad who I haven’t seen since March! He’s been in Guam for 6 months for work.
– Football, football, football. We’re going to the VT/Boise St game Monday night!
– Lots of good food and fun

Kellie September 3, 2010 at 7:02 am

{{{{hugs}}}}} love the picture of Mable.

julie September 3, 2010 at 8:25 am

i can’t lie that i’m pretty excited for “better breakfast day” because it gives me cause to eat the amazing 5 INGREDIENT hahaha breakfast i just inhaled which included oat bran, greek yogurt, peanut flour, jelly & flaxseeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!! best amazing breakfast ever

…now if only i could win chobani spoons today ;)

thedelicateplace September 3, 2010 at 8:27 am

oooh love shrooms! i’m headed home for a family picnic and then a reception party for a good gf of mine who just got married at the JP! so excited for her

lowandbhold September 3, 2010 at 8:51 am

Sadly, I’m not too excited about those holidays. I don’t like chicken, mushroom or papaya and my breakfast is here to stay. I like potatoes though, so that one’s good :) And I like waffles, even though I don’t have a waffle iron.

I’m going to a wedding tonight, the football game tomorrow and hopefully a long run at some point. Should be a good weekend!

Hope you get to go camping!!

Emily September 3, 2010 at 9:04 am

Janetha,

I’m not sure if I have a particular favorite September food holiday, but I am looking forward to fall produce.

And waffles. :)

I’ll be moving back in to school this weekend for Freshman Orientation Leader training so my Labor Day will be spent doing trust falls, name games, and ice breakers… fun. Lol

Happy Friday,

Emily (aka Curly Top)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) September 3, 2010 at 9:27 am

National waffle week? How did I not know about this? Haha…thanks for the heads up. I need to make some ASAP. :D

Caitlin September 3, 2010 at 10:00 am

Hi, just had to write (I’ve been reading your blog for awhile but don’t think I’ve commented yet) because of the 90210 shout out. Love that yesterday was 90210….almost as much as I loved Dylan in those early years….sigh…. :) Anyway, also wanted to say I love your blog too!

biz319 September 3, 2010 at 10:00 am

So excited about the long weekend – other than a lunch with my Mom, I have nothing planned which I love! :D

Hope you have a great weekend!

Angharad September 3, 2010 at 10:16 am

Oh man, I would love to go camping this weekend! I think we’re just laying low. Farmers’ market, cooking, beer drinking, and maybe a gigantic long bike ride. That would be fun.

Love to you!

Naomi(oneFF) September 3, 2010 at 11:27 am

i saw on FB you wrote that it was national blueberry popsicle day?! who knew there was a whole day dedicated to blueberry posicles!

national biscuit month-that right there is awesome! biscuits are so darn delicious!!

have a great weekend!! and xoxoxox to sweet Mabel :)

Amber September 3, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I teared up when I read about your dog. Poor little mable, and you!!! My heart goes out to you both. :(

I’m excited for the “better breakfast” month. I sometimes feel like I’m stuck in a rut: I either eat too many eggs, or too much cereal. Now I have an excuse to try new things!

Have a great Labor Day weekend – I hope you get to go camping!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 3, 2010 at 3:26 pm

you told me it was softserve day coming up..that’s pretty cool and also last week you mentioned a natl xyz day and cant remember what it was but it totally fit for my post that day.

you are the queen of these trivia bits :)

the question you asked me re horseracing, yes, there is that side of it. It;s a whole ‘nuther topic that I didnt want to even get into on the blog!

i hope camping pans out for you!!!! that sounds like a blast!!
xox

Rachael September 3, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Biscuits are definitely worthy of their own month – the fact that they share September makes me very happy indeed.
Labor Day is gonna mean getting past the Earl-induced storms on Cape Cod so that we can begin heading home…two months on the road for work and I’m very ready to have my own bed (and kitchen) again!

Valerie September 3, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I’m in Playa del Carmen on vacation for a whole week!!!! (and I’m blogging at 1 am in the morning!)

I lost my 14 year old yellow lab in May 2009. She was so old, and her body was giving up on her so we had to put her down. It was the most terrible thing I’ve ever had to experience. I’m 26, so she was with me my entire childhood. I miss her and think about her everyday. She even visits me in my dreams (constantly) and she’s always happy. But, I’ll never ever forget that sweet, sweet girl. RIP Chancee. RIP Mable. Sad moment, but beautiful, everlasting memories.