my five & flashback friday.

by Janetha on August 27, 2010

in meals

hey, friends!

i honestly wasn’t sure i would make it to friday this week. to put it bluntly: work has been hell.  more hellish than usual. i will leave it at that because i don’t want to be a whiner!

for the record.. the lasagna was PHENOMENAL!

i loved the recipe and will be making it again.

i know it was not an authentic lasagna recipe and broke all sorts of italian cooking rules with the cottage cheese and dried herbs.. but it was affordable, simple and delicious.  however, i want to give an authentic lasagna recipe a whirl sometime!

instead of boring you all with my fifth protein smoothie for breakfast this week and my leftovers for lunch, i have decided to lighten the mood a bit and do a post of lists of five.  i haven’t done one in ages and we all know how excited i get over lists. it’s almost embarrassing how giddy i am when it comes to list making. i can never single things down to just one, so i always give my list of five. and now, you get to hear it. er.. read it.

five most recent recipes i “starred” in my reader:

1. Coconut Cookie Dough Balls/Bars (ashley @ the edible perpective)
  2. Oreo Cheesecake Pretzel Bites (jenny @ picky palate)
  3. Almond Butter Granola Bars (erica @ itzy’s kitchen)
  4. Creamy Spinach & Asparagus Pasta (heather @ where’s the beach)
  5. Vegan Mac & Cheese (guest poster on lynn’s blog @ the actor’s diet)

can’t wait to try some of these recipes out! life is getting a little more settled so i really hope i find time for experimenting in the kitchen.

five beverages i consumed this week:

1. water
  2. coffee (and lots of it!)
  3. white wine
  4. orange juice
  5. protein shakes (five of them!) and yes, they are a beverage. they are liquid!

five most recent purchases with my debit card:

1. gasoline ($10.57)<—i was running late for work and just pumped enough to get me there!
  2. corkscrew ($2.12)<—needs no explaining
  3. the home depot ($454.62) <—house renovations are pricey
  4. winder farms ($19.63)<—this is my grocery delivery service. eggs, milk, OJ & yogurt
  5. smith’s marketplace ($18.79)<—more groceries

i spend most my money on groceries. it used to be clothes. my, how priorities change.

five favorite sources of protein (in no order):

1. greek yogurt
  2. eggs
  3. chicken
  4. garbanzos (or any bean.. mainly the garbz)
  5. vanilla protein powder

cottage cheese just barely missed the cut! it was between that and the pro pow, but without the powder i wouldn’t have my delicious shakes.

five pet peeves:

1. people who chew unnecessarily loud and/or with their mouth open. same goes for audibly “gulping” their drinks. #1 pet peeve in the WORLD.
  2. the term “couldn’t care less” being used wrong.. so many people say “could care less”, that is NOT how the saying goes
  3. people who try to make bad, stupid jokes about my name. they aren’t funny, folks. and i’ve heard it before. i know my name is weird, get over it. i have.
  4. stepping in water while wearing socks. i blame randy’s ears for this. he drinks out of the dog water bowl and his ears get saturated and he proceeds to sprinkle water all over the house.
  5. when people ask me where my tattoos are (after they see that my husband is covered in them).. i am my own person, i don’t like tattoos. also, i hate it when people say “i wonder if your babies will come out tattooed?” get a grip. that’s a worse joke than you calling me “urethra”.

five reasons i am looking forward to fall:

1. it will be cool enough to run the high school bleachers in the evenings
  2. pumpkin, apples & other fall foods
  3. leaves changing colors.. gorgeous!
  4. halloween
  5. one word: hoodies

five childhood things i reminisced about last night:

1. winnie the pooh
  2. skip it
  3. zoobilee zoo
  4. pogo ball
  5. lagoon

five blogs i’ve added to my reader recently:

1. Heather’s Dish (she’s got fantastic looking recipes, can’t wait to try some)
  2. Coffee & the Paper (susan of Tangerine Trees & Marmalade Skies – new blog)
  3. Joy the Baker (great recipes with a side of sass, love her blog so far!)
  4. Faces of Beauty (AWESOME movement started by the heather in #1)
  5. Callieflower Kitchen (added because she’s susan’s friend, but WOW her photos are gorgeous)

five things i am going to do this weekend:

1. take a nap. like, RIGHT after work.
  2. hang out around a fire and make s,mores (if the weather cooperates…)
  3. upper body workout of some sort
  4. give the dogs a shower (marshall and i take turns each week)
  5. menu plan & grocery shop (i am such a dweeb)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

flashback friday!

to keep in the theme of five.. i bring you five fun photos from the archives. there are several more where these came from. these are just a handful.

1. who wants a moustache ride? may 2008.

2. victorias secret models really have nothing on this team pink. camping with our bright orange gloves, no less. september 2006.

3. my first (and only) visit to the volcom store in LA. i was pumped. november 2007.

4. probably one of the only photos i have with my cousins. i was 2. sometime in 1985. (can you spot me?)

5. a gingerbread man sandwich! september 2007.

granted, this was a half assed post when it comes to effort. gimme a break! it’s been a long week.

1. what is one of your pet peeves?

2. why are looking forward to fall? and if you aren’t.. why aren’t you?

3. what do you spend the majority of your $$$ on? (besides bills!)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm

People being late! I hate lateness… it drives me bonkers.

April August 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Good one Jessica…me too. I hate people who eat at pitch ins when they didn’t pitch in.

I love fall colors! Orange is one of my faves :)

I would say groceries and supplements.

homecookedem August 27, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I’m so looking forward to fall!! It is most definitely my favorite season of all!! I love apple picking, pumpkin carving, baking, Halloween, Thanksgiving, candy corn pumpkins, sweaters, changing leaves, caramel apples, fall festivals, crisp cool weather!! :) And my belly will be growing this fall and I’ll be getting closer and closer to meeting my baby boy!! :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Love this post! I feel like I’m all caught up on your life now. I love Joy The Baker!

crunchygranolagal August 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I love non-traditional lasagna, but the BF is Italian and so this is a treat on my single gal nights only :) I’m loving the fresh mozzarella action though!

I dig the fives thing. My biggest pet peeve is when people clip their bails in public. Odd, i know, but it happens often on the subway.

I am looking forward to starting a new internship and job in the fall. Yay grad school? Meh.

I spend most of my money on dining and drinking out. Not economical, but totally fun :)

Happy weekend, Miss Janetha!

BroccoliHut August 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm

ugh–I hate wet socks too. I once got my socks wet when I was tenting for basketball tickets in 20 degree weather. Yeah, I didn’t get any sleep that night.
1. Generally my main pet peeve is poor grammar, but recently I’ve been really irked by the word “orientated.”
2. I am looking forward to eating lots of pumpkin! Technically, I’ve been eating it all year, but that’s beside the point. Now it’s seasonal!
3. I definitely spend the majority of my money on groceries!

april August 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I am so excited for fall! I can’t wait to wear cardigans and longer sleeves, plus pumpkin, apple picking, leaves.. I just love it!

Maren August 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I just had to fly through this post because I was soooo super excited to tell u I found an awesome black houndstooth (sp?) Skirt at target for 19.99 and I immediately thought of u! Please go get it. :). P.s. Love the joke about the tatoos! Lol have a great weekend!

Dani August 27, 2010 at 5:50 pm

LOVE the fall but we barely get seasons here in LA (thats one thing I miss about the east Coast)… As for where I spend my money… FOOD!! Seriously. Definitely my biggest splurge… I am at farmers markets or grocery stores just about everyday of the week!

Angharad August 27, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Well, miss I can surely relate to you on your number 3 and 4 pet peeves, although I nearly died laughing when I read: “get a grip. that’s a worse joke than you calling me “urethra”. ”
You are amazing.

Also, isn’t Joy the Baker awesome? I love her!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 27, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I hate it when people ask you a question and then don’t listen to the answer!!! I am so ready for everything fall! Definitely pumpkin and apples! I spend the most money on food. Not crazy expensive stuff…just good staples. Love the photos and the lists!

Chelsea at Striking Balance August 27, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Glad the lasagna worked out.

Ohh my gosh your first pet peeve is my bigggggest pet peeve ever. My sister chews so loudly and I cringe everytime I eat around her!

I’m looking forward to cute hoodies and cardigans and fall clothes!

inmytummy August 27, 2010 at 6:24 pm

One of my pet peeves is when people say “Barnes and Nobles”. It’s Barnes and Noble. Singular!!

leianna August 27, 2010 at 6:29 pm

pet peeve: people who gulp their drinks, I have a co-worker that does this constantly!
Fall: having my baby girl on September 18
$$ spending: nut butters of course!

Patricia Braithwaite August 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I totally agree with you on the “hellish” work week. Mine was absolutely horrid. Must have been something in the air.
I so love fall. It is my favorite time of year. I can hardly wait for it to cool off so it won’t be so hot to run outside. I love the leaves and the smells of the fall. Can hardly wait!

I have quite a few pet peeves. The main one is rude people. I have a hard time tolerating that. People who are always late ranks right up there, as well. Last, but not least, is poor grammar and incorrect spelling.

I loved your fives. You are so funny and make me laugh. I’m so glad I read your post today. (I usually read it everyday) It cheered me up after a bad week. Have a fun weekend.

Carbzilla August 27, 2010 at 6:40 pm

You HAVE to do Faces of Beauty! I just sent mine in today – it only took me 47 photos before I liked on enough. What does that say?

I’ve been doing enough whining for the both of us. I’m done now.

Love the pumpkin pic! I’m super psyched about Fall – even here where the leaves don’t change much. I just bought my Halloween costume today. Some years I’m into it, some years I’m not. We’re partying it up this year! (Chris has had his costume ready for a year!)

We have a new nephew in Park City – maybe we’ll have to come out there some time. That’s not too far from you, is it?

Carbzilla August 27, 2010 at 6:40 pm

You HAVE to do Faces of Beauty! I just sent mine in today – it only took me 47 photos before I liked one enough. What does that say?

I’ve been doing enough whining for the both of us. I’m done now.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black August 27, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Too funny- I remember Zooboolizoo, too! (sp?)

jayme August 27, 2010 at 9:30 pm

even if you think this is a half-assed post, i liked it. :)

i used to go nuts for winnie the pooh! every now and then “TTFN” slips out of my mouth instead of a normal “goodbye”.

my money basically goes towards food and baking supplies.
i spent loads on new clothes from outlet malls when i went to vegas a few months ago, but that’s only because i got insane deals on everything, and i couldn’t bring back much food on the plane. :(

Nicole C August 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Pet peeves: People who wear sunglasses inside, you aren’t as cool as you think. Water bottles left all over my house, hence why I don’t buy them anymore!

Looking forward to fall because the Vegas weather will be bearable to go outside and not sweat. I would like to be somewhere that has changing leaves and prettiness but I live in the desert. Hoodies are a PLUS too.

I took my brother to Zion today and I have to say that I think the majority of my $$ is on gas. I have a beast of a vehicle, FJ Cruiser, the I LOVE so I should not complain about my crappy gas mileage. OH and my brother is also covered in tattoos and I find it interesting how many people give him weird looks. The lady at the gift shop counter surprised him when she complimented his ink and said it was beautiful.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 27, 2010 at 9:51 pm

i cannot believe you posted about loud chewing/slurping. tonite in my post (before i read yours) I posted about the same thing…hate it!

the blogs you put in your reader that are new-ish. Omg I put a few of those in my reader this week too!

jokes about your name are like my height. yes i am tall. get over it.

tattooed kids…omg that is just sick. people have no shame. or class.

LOVED our email today. Hope you have a greatttt weekend!!!
xoxo

Mama Pea August 27, 2010 at 11:04 pm

1. Pet Peeves: I am SOOOOO with you on the food noise thing. Have you been to a crowded movie theater? OMG, it drives me insane, all the snarfing and crunching. Grrrr…

2. I am looking forward to fall for chunky sweaters, dark jeans, crunchy leaves, soups and stews and football!

3. Sadly, I spend the majority of my $$$ on food! And chunky sweaters and dark jeans.

Love you, girl! Don’t ever apologize for your posts. They are still a bright spot in my day.

Erica August 28, 2010 at 1:56 am

Fun post :) I’m going to check out some of the new blogs you started reading too. Thanks for the shout out and I totally want to try that vegan mac n cheese.

1. what is one of your pet peeves? when people slurp soup or talk ridiculously loud on their cell phones

2. why are looking forward to fall? and if you aren’t.. why aren’t you? pumpkin, apples, squash! But I don’t like even slightly cool weather – I’m a summer baby ;)

3. what do you spend the majority of your $$$ on? (besides bills!) probably food- we love going out to eat 1 or 2 x’s a week and we eat good quality food in the house!

Cassandra August 28, 2010 at 2:08 am

haha Urethra! What a dumb name to call someone! I’ve many pet peeves! One would be people who sms monosyllabic replies, such as “K”, “Thx” etc. WOULD IT KILL YOU TO JUST FORM A SENTENCE?!?! Gawd!

Another pet peeve is people who, after learning I’m vegan, declare that vegans are stupid, weak, lacking in protein, etcetc. I just think they’re incredibly ignorant and stupid.

Haha I love your blog, it’s really funny! And that picture of the pumpkin looks sooo good. :) I love pumpkin!

coffeeandthepaper August 28, 2010 at 4:05 am

Lurveeee posts like this, especially the recipe list.

Totally agree with you on pet peeves #1 and #2.

I’m looking forward to fall as well, and hopefully finding pureed pumpkin at the supermarket again. And if I can’t, I will buy the biggest pumpkin ever and puree the damn thing myself!

sbux87 August 28, 2010 at 5:50 am

we are officially twins because I literally have 2 posts in my ‘drafts’ waiting for the right time to put them up. 1 is about my pet peeves and 1 is about how im so excited for fall. and i agree with basically every single thing you wrote except i definitely think cottage cheese > beans.

I legit HATE stepping in water with my socks on. it like seriously grosses me out to no end. I also can’t stand when people say “alls” as in… “alls i have to do today is….” umm, seriously? I also hate dirty dishes in the sink, when people ask me why i’m single, when my umbrella flips upside down when its too windy, and when I drop things multiple times in a row.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 28, 2010 at 5:57 am

Pet peeves… I have a lot :P But I HATE loud chewing! Ugh!

I love fall! I can’t wait for apple picking, pumpkins, [hot] chai lattes, boots, sweaters and scarves, [cool evenings]… love love love the fall!

Majority of my money goes to bills, actually! And food. Lots of money spent on food and foodie books :P

xo
Kris

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 28, 2010 at 6:23 am

I can imagine the name jokes and tattoo thing gets annoying. I HATE when people call me Gaybriela, or Gabriel. It’s not that difficult of a name, folks.

My biggest pet peeve has to be people who move really SLOOOOWLY. Drivers who sit in the left lane going ten under the speed limit, people who mosey down the middle of the sidewalk, shoppers who take ten minutes to put their credit cars back in their wallets and their bags in their carts. I should probably work on my patience, but seriously…be expeditious people!!

Hope you have a great Saturday!!

thedelicateplace August 28, 2010 at 7:03 am

hahah! i have a similar picture when i attended a moustache bash :) i am totally looking forward to fall, it’s my fave season. i love cinnamon, pumpkin, apples & winter squashes. i have to “force” myself sometimes in the middle of the summer to eat in season and local or i’d over-do it all year long!

pet peeve? when people don’t stand up for themselves. it breaks my heart to watch people so afraid to speak up! i don’t really like “yes” people all the time. no one is perfect and there are instances where someone might be wrong but they allow themselves to be walked on because they fear a potential confrontation

lowandbhold August 28, 2010 at 8:18 am

1. People who brag about really stupid stuff, like how many more overtime hours they worked than you.
2. Not so much, but I am looking forward to running in cooler weather and FOOTBALL!
3. Eating out and other social thangs. Used to be clothes, but I’m semi-reigned that in. For now.

Sorry about the hellatious work week! I feel ya. Hopefully next week with be better for us both.

Have a good weekend!

P.S. I LOVE your name :)

julie August 28, 2010 at 8:32 am

hahahaha i’m eating cottage cheese as we speak (or as i type?) so it makes my cut for sure ;)

seriously dude you could NEVER be around my dad. he chews like a cow AND gulps his coffee. i want to punch him every five seconds. FIVE seconds hahahaha

have a great weekeneeeed :)

Tina August 28, 2010 at 8:36 am

ZOOBILEE ZOO!!!! I loved that show!

I too cannot wait for fall. I love the cooler temps and all things pumpkin.

allijag August 28, 2010 at 11:29 am

i loved this post :) i thought i would tell you even though you could care less (LOL i crack.myself.up)

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) August 28, 2010 at 4:42 pm

1) Drive me nuts when people who make more money than me act like they are sooo much better than me! Having a lot of money doesn’t make you a good person, right?!
2) Looking forward to pumpkin oatmealin the fall!
3) Other than bills, I definitely spend the most money on food!!

Have a good weekend!

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen August 28, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Thanks so much for the sweet compliment – you definitely made me smile today! :)

I’m looking forward to pumpkin, apple picking, leaf piles, fun flavoured lattes, sweaters and scarves, haunted wagon rides … pretty much everything! I love fall :)

Susan August 29, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I want to make those oreo cheesecake bites as soon as I have an excuse to bring a bunch of sweets somewhere. Because you know they will have to be out of my house asap ;)

1) When people start a sentence by saying “No offense, buuuut…” GAH. I am now officially offended by whatever follows that statement. Thanks.

2) Running outside again (holyballs it’s been too hot this year) wearing cute scarves and jackets, APPLES, eating hot breakfasts, straightening my hair without it blowing up into a humid frizzy mess.

3) Food. No contest.

luckytastebuds August 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Darlin’, you have some REALLY good gripes. For real. hahah One of my bigger gripes is when people TyPE LYke tHIs. And my other one is hearing people slurp noodles. Unfortunately in japan, that is actually common courtesy to slurp your bowl of noodles as a way to compliment the chef. I can’t believe people make fun of your name!!! I honestly don’t think Janetha is an unordinary name at all. It’s definltely not common, but to be made fun of is a little bit of a stretch! People must not have much of a life these days.

I’m excited to see Boston in the fall! It’ll definitely be different to Chicago. :) And 3rd of all, I’m wastin’ so much money on Lobster rolls these days it’s disgusting. I don’t think I even like it that much, but there’s something about being in Boston with other tourists….hahahha