grilled.

by Janetha on August 23, 2010

in meals,moves

hey there! welcome to another week. the last full week in august, can you believe it?!

wow.. a lot of you like your cardio! i was surprised at the number of people who chimed in with their adoration for cardio. i am sorry, but i can’t relate.  hand me some dumbbells and i am a happy girl.

a happy girl, but a sore girl. i have DOMS to the point of where i have been hobbling around all day.  i had a killer total body workout on saturday and i am feeling it today.

i believe that, in addition to drinking lots of water, the best way to treat DOMS is to get up and get moving!  that is exactly what i did today after work.

i wasn’t sure what to do today, so i made up this somewhat entertaining 40 minute (including cool down) interval routine. i increased the speed gradually (by 0.3) during each 6 minute set. i increased the incline gradually for the first 3 sets and then decreased the incline gradually for the last 3 sets.. kind of like a pyramid outline.  the cool down was 4 minutes long.

minute # speed (MPH) incline (%)
1 6.0 1
37 4.0 0
38 3.5 0
39 3.0 0
40 2.5 0

total distance: 4.25 miles, total time: 40 minutes

max HR: 180, average HR: 159, calories burned: 350

i know i promised to show you all our farmers market feast we had yesterday.. but the photos are on my mom’s camera. SO.. i am skipping right to tonight’s dinner, which was equally as awesome.

when i got home, i immediately got started on dinner.

i chopped two russet potatoes and two sweet potatoes into strips and coated them in these two guys:

we just picked up that garlic seasoning from costco yesterday. it is used to make garlic bread, but i decided it would make excellent garlic fries!

i laid the fries out onto baking sheets:

i baked the fries ad 425 degrees for about 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes.

voilà!

marshall was the man of the grill tonight. he grilled corn on the cob and all natural grass fed beef hamburger patties (from the farmers market).

i worked on the fixings.. farmers market lettuce, garden tomatoes, avocado & pickles.

ketchup, mustard, vegenaise.

marshall brought in the grilled goods.

corn!

burgers with cheddar!

i ate my dinner along side a tall glass of unsweetened iced tea.

the burgers were cooked to perfection.

you can really taste the difference between all natural, grass fed beef and conventional beef. try it, you’ll like it!

i was in charge of dessert and i had something stuck in my head all day. peaches and vanilla bean ice cream. my favorite dessert ever.  i decided to put a twist on things and grill the peaches!

first, i sliced the peaches in half and sprayed them with olive oil (so they wouldn’t stick to the grill)

both sides!

before putting the peaches on the grill, i mixed together a simple glaze.

i eyeballed the measurements of each ingredient: cinnamon, agave and vanilla extract.

next, i placed the peaches sliced side down on the grill. it was set to medium heat.

i closed the lid. after about five minutes, i flipped the peaches and coated them with my glaze.

i closed the lid and let them cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. i removed them from the grill and called them done.

caramelized goodness!

you want to make sure you use nice, soft peaches so they get all squishy and gooey.

i served the peaches atop a bed of vanilla bean ice cream, since we have it coming out our ears! (wedding leftovers.)

i loved the way the hot peach melted the frozen ice cream and the flavors tied together perfectly. very similar to hot peach cobbler a la mode!

this was a great dinner.. i am soaking up all the chances to use the grill, because at the rate time is going these days… it will be snowing before we know it!

one last thing before i go, the winner of the organic dog treat cookbook gift set!

#18: Christine!

very ironic since she had a penny of her own :) congrats, christine! please email  me your mailing information and i will get your gift set out ASAP. thanks to everyone for entering! it was so fun reading about all your dogs.

it’s late! time to hit the hay!

1. do you grill fruits? what is your favorite fruit to grill? obviously mine is peaches, but i also love grilled pineapple! i want to experiment with more grilled fruits.. i hear grilled plums are excellent.

2. DOMS: love it or hate it? as crazy as it sounds.. i LOVE having DOMS! i especially love getting massages when i have DOMS.

MN Traveler August 23, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Just reading this post I have the itch for another H.I.I.T. routine (since it’s been 2 months!!!) thanks for the inspirations Janetha! Oh, and my heart goes out to grilled pineapple (atop of a chicken breast with BBQ). I’m drooling. YUM! Your eats look scrupdillyicious!!

Nicci August 23, 2010 at 11:03 pm

What a great dinner, I love burgers and sweet potato fries! Grilled peaches YUM

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 24, 2010 at 12:34 am

“ketchup, mustard, vegenaise.” + grassfed beef and cheese…the irony of a vegan condiment and then all that nonvegan food is not lost on me. LOL. And it’s not like vegenaise is easy to come by, well, here it’s a trip to WFs as only some groc stores sell it, not all, but anyway girl, way to rock the blue! i love the reduced fat vegenaise (yellow label) b/c it’s not quite as thick and it helps me make the best batches of my vegan slaw dressing!

grilled fruit, nice. I would be scared to use agave + grill for fear of more than “carmelizing”..i.e. burning and charring the hell outta it! clearly you did a great job though!

MelissaNibbles August 24, 2010 at 3:05 am

I love grilled peaches! That’s my favorite way to eat them.

I have DOMS (or whatever it is) too! I’ve had it for months because I’ve been overtraining. I used to think that moving was the best solution, but it makes it worse for me and turns into overtraining. I’m taking this week off from hardcore workouts and just doing yoga. Good luck with yours!

balancejoyanddelicias August 24, 2010 at 3:50 am

great dinner… specially those fries and grilled peaches! I’ve never tried grilled food.. but I can imagine how good would be some grilled peaches! ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 24, 2010 at 4:39 am

Peaches and pineapple is my favorite too! Love them.

lindsay August 24, 2010 at 4:41 am

grilled peaches are the best with ice cream. That or grilled pineapple, its a close call.

coffeeandthepaper August 24, 2010 at 4:44 am

Grilling peaches is SUCH a great idea! Sans the burgers, your grill-feast looks exactly like mine; loving corn and potatoes right now. Grilled shroomies are also a winner in my book.

Lauren August 24, 2010 at 4:46 am

Burgers are fries are the quintessential summer meal. Nothing beats this meal! And I love the grilled peaches. I love all grilled fruit but rarely do it because it’s just too much work. If someone offers to do it for me though, I’m all about that!

Okay, forgive me for being so ignorant, but what are DOMS? :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 24, 2010 at 5:21 am

I’m having people over for dinner tonight and we have a ton of peaches…thanks for the idea to grill them!! Pineapple has to be my all-time favorite fruit on the grill though :)

Erica August 24, 2010 at 5:22 am

What a dinner! I want garlic fries and grilled peaches are AMAZING. I also like grilling pineapple. Yum Yum. I think peaches are my favorite fruit to grill though. And I definitely love DOMS- makes me feel like I worked extra hard

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 24, 2010 at 5:46 am

Mmm, those grilled peaches look TO DIE FOR.

Peaches are definitely top on my list for grilling, pineapple is a close second! :)

I’m with you… I LOVE DOMS! I went rock climbing on Saturday and couldn’t move my arms above my head on Sunday. Killer. Loved it. Especially when I commissioned the hus to give me a massage :D

xo
Kris

thedelicateplace August 24, 2010 at 6:00 am

i LOVE grilled stone fruits! esp peaches. i’m right on board there

and i also love DOMS. i currently have a wicked case of it in my calves because i’m running in my vibram five fingers more (more midfoot striking as opposed to heel to toe in a running shoe) so i get quite a workout! love.it.

fittingbackin August 24, 2010 at 6:32 am

I’ve never grilled fruit – looks amazing though!!

I’m not quite ready to attempt that run you posted – but i’ve copied and pasted it for when i’m farther along in my running – it looks great!

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger August 24, 2010 at 6:35 am

Not a fruit person, so no grillin’ here, but I LOVE DOMS! I’m a “crazy”, too, I guess! I love that I know I killed it in the gym and challenged myself greater than before when I’m sore a day or two later:)

leianna August 24, 2010 at 6:58 am

Grilled pineapple for me!

lowandbhold August 24, 2010 at 7:16 am

I want a grill so badly! It’s just one of those purchases that I can’t really justify. I need to get another George Foreman probably, I lost my last one in a breakup haha.

I love DOMS also, unless it interferes with my training, then I get annoyed.

That dinner looks so amazing!!

Abby August 24, 2010 at 7:16 am

As you know, I don’t eat meat. However, those cheesy burgers looked absolutely perfect, my dear. Holy summer food!

And I love being sore. Call me nuts, but when I’m sore I feel like I’ve actually accomplished something with the workout. I know that’s not the point, but I still like it ;)

jen August 24, 2010 at 7:31 am

ah, janetha, an exerciser after my own heart. I can’t relate to all those bloggers who bitch and whine about how hard/boring/annoying weight lifting is! i bench pressed my body weight and i’m in no way bulky or big. i <3 weights, but also cardio. i'm a long distance runner and cyclist. so i guess i'm pretty well balanced. but, yeah, rocking the weight room owns!

lisaou11 August 24, 2010 at 7:45 am

Im saving that workout–I love it! Itll be my Thursday cardio :)

I like DOMS–but only if Im getting a massage. I like the pain.

Sami August 24, 2010 at 7:47 am

loveeeee grilled banana (carmelized) and pineapple. TDF.

i hate doms!

Mel August 24, 2010 at 7:53 am

I love DOM! (unless I need to run with it, then its bad and effects my performance).

Your post today is seriously making me drool. It also makes me wish that it wasn’t going to be 106 here today. Our patio has full sun in the evenings, so no grilling for me this evening!

I’m definately going to have to look for that Garlic seasoning at Costco.

kristastes August 24, 2010 at 8:04 am

I also buy grass-fed beef and it definitely tastes better…and is nutritionally better!

Grilled peaches are probably my favorite fruit off the grill for sure. I like DOMS because I know I most likely worked my butt off…literally.

Keep the pup pics coming, please :) they brighten my day!

Jessica August 24, 2010 at 8:34 am

I absolutely LOVE feeling like I have had a great workout! I always used to feel like I was a wierdo for liking DOMS but they are always a sign of progress for me.

That dinner looks delicious!

Amber August 24, 2010 at 8:42 am

Your burgers look delicious! I just started buying grass-fed beef, and it’s amazing how much better it tastes! I’ll never go back (especially after watching Food, Inc.).

I really like grilled peaches, but I think grilled pineapple is my all-time favorite grilled fruit!

GetHealthyWithHeather August 24, 2010 at 9:03 am

Your grilled peaches look amazing! I so want some right now.

You know I’m a HUGE doms fan!

BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 24, 2010 at 9:38 am

I am doing a program now that has a ton of HIIT’s worked in and I LOVE IT. LOVE it! It’s made such a difference in my endurance!

I LOVE grilled peaches… I agree with grilled pineapple being up there, too!

april August 24, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’m with you on the hating cardio. I haven’t done it in a few months..yikes!!

hundredtenpounds August 24, 2010 at 10:06 am

Part of me loves the DOMS because it means I had a REALLY AWESOME workout. But sometimes it just plain hurts! :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) August 24, 2010 at 10:16 am

My all time fav grilled fruit is pineapple … or peach. I just can’t decide! Since i can’t bake, grilling fruits is something I love doing for dessert.

I looooooooove DOMS. It makes me feel like I got what I worked so hard for… muscles repairing. Grow those babies !! When I don’t get DOMS, I feel like I’m prob in a weight lifting rut… so when I do, I get excited. …but I’m weird. ha!

Mama Pea August 24, 2010 at 10:30 am

I didn’t chime in on the last post, but I’m with you…give me weights over cardio any day of the week.

I love DOMS. I’m experiencing it right now thanks to Jackie Warner’s Lower Body One-on-One Training. Unfortunately, we have two flights of stairs in our house too.

I’ve never grilled any fruit but pineapple. I need to remedy that soon.

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) August 24, 2010 at 10:59 am

I love to grill pineapple! Grilling it makes it even sweeter. Mmmm…

(BTW – despite my lack of commenting over the last few months, I have been reading consistently! Just getting back into blogging now…)

julie August 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

i’m totes gonna have DOMS tomorrow and i can’t wait hahahaha i also know it’s going to make spin THAT much more of a beast but whatev!

seriously i NEVER want summer to go away just because the grill is a magical cooking tool. i just asked deej the other day if i can use the grill in the dead of winter and she said “you sure can!” hahaha yayyy :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) August 24, 2010 at 11:39 am

i am so with you on the cardio vs weights!! I do HIIT way more often becuase then I dont have to spend as long doing cardio! LOL I will spend more time def on the weights! i love the strength and power I feel when Ilift! your feast looks so delicious!!! i added peaches to my protein shake today and made me think of you!

I love grilled pineapple and also watermelon. I know it sounds wierd, bt grilled watermelon is insanely delicious esp paired wiht feta cheese!!

as far as DOMS i love it most of the time, BUT when it prevents me from literally lifting some books, then its just annoying! but i do love that sore “i kicked my butt” feeling!!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) August 24, 2010 at 11:59 am

I can’t believe I haven’t grilled any veggies since we got the grill. I bet those peaches were amazing. I hear grilled bananas are pretty awesome too… with ice cream of course! :)

Angharad August 24, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Yeah, I weirdly kind of like having DOMS too! It just makes me feel like I made a difference.
Anywho! Grilled peaches are my fave too. I made some last summer and served with this mascarpone glaze and it was unbelievable!

We are having burgers tonight (of the grass fed variety) and I am SUPER pumped. No grilled peaches but I am thinking of making milkshakes. Holler!

Paige (Running Around Normal) August 24, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Grilled peaches! Summer dessert for sure. I have had a recipe for grilled peaches and cream in my binder since May. May! And I’ve yet to make them. I keep saying I will.. Perhaps this weekend ;)
Ehh I’m not so keen on DOMS. I don’t mind a little soreness, but DOMS really hurts!

Matt August 24, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I seriously LOVE grass fed beef! Glad you like it too :)

Mary August 24, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I’ve never grilled fruit. It seems like an awesome way to cook it so I want to try it.

I love DOMS! It makes me feel good like I’ve worked hard. :)

BroccoliHut August 24, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I really love grilled pineapple, especially in combination with black beans and sweet potato (best salad combo ever). Grilled pears are also pretty awesome.
I have a love-hate relationship with DOMS–they suck,but they mean that I got a good workout:)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Hi cutie!

Glad to see that you are back at your workouts. The only cardio (machine) I like is the stepmill- the rest make me want to poke my eyes out with #2 Pencils. I LOVE cardio if it’s a fun class: kickbox, dance, step, zumba, etc.

Derek and I had grilled watermelon at a restaurant in the desert the other day and it rocked our faces off!

LVOE LOVE LOVE DOMS and I feel quite frankly ripped off if I don’t have it- like I totally wasted my time. Tomorrow I’ll have it for sure b/c today I did 17 min on the shaker machine- lunges and squats- I can already feel it!!!

Love you . Miss you!

Liz August 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

have you seen this? it made me think of you and your love of owls!

Katie August 24, 2010 at 7:04 pm

oh my goodness, that grilled fruit. I swear to you…I’m salivating right now. I am a huge fan of the pineapple too…so sweet/tart at the same time. It’s my favorite combo.

I also LOVE DOMS. It means I was workin’ hard. :-)

inmytummy August 24, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I’ve never grilled fruit but I think I need to.

I like DOMS in a hurts so good type of way

Jenna August 24, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Yummy dinner anddessert!!!

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey August 24, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Whoa, those peaches look incredible. Looove.