to market, to market.

by Janetha on August 21, 2010

in meals

happy saturday!

i woke up bright and early this morning to enjoy breakfast, using BOTH of my “J” mugs.

on the left.. french pressed coffee + coconut milk creamer

on the right.. a 6 oz container dannon fat free plain greek yogurt, a handful of fresh blueberries, a sprinkle of vanlla nut granola and one trader joe’s high fiber blueberry muffin.

weeties has nothing on my bowl of goodness.. this was the breakfast of champions!

i did some housework (i am such a wife) and then momma b came to pick me up so we could go to the farmers market.

i love going to markets with my mom because, unlike marshall, she likes to look at all the trinkets and spend lots of time browsing through the craft section.  that is where we started.

look how cute these bracelets are.. they are made from old school type writer keys!

as much as we wanted one, they were $65 a piece.. not worth the hefty price tag, in  my opinion.

we meandered onto the next booth where there were more bracelets.. these were made from buttons covered in fabric.

these were much more affordable: $25. my mom decided she wanted one and said she’d get one for me, too :)

hi mom!

i ended up getting the one up there in the first photo on the far left, each button had a different owl. i love owls!

momma b was parched, so when she spotted this fresh mint limeaide, she had to snag one.

i shared it with her. i was expecting it to be sour but it was actually a nice, mellow lime flavor and very refreshing!

toyota was sponsoring a farm to table tour at the market today.  local restaurants were teaming up with local farms to create sample bites.  we sampled three different collaborations.

first up:

i LOVE tin angel cafe. it is probably one of my favorite restaurants in the world. no, really, it is that good!

they were serving up moroccan lamb kebabs with a garden fresh salad and homemade tzatziki.

this was phenomenal.  my mom even said, “i don’t even like lamb and i love this!

next up:

the metropolitan is a well known, upscale restaurant downtown. i had high expectations of their sampling, which was a cold orzo salad with mushrooms.

the presentation was nice, but the taste was only so-so.

our final stop:

donovan’s is famous for their steaks, so when i saw they were handing out steak kebabs, i was excited.

it looked promising:

i was quickly let down when i realized there was NO flavor what so ever. there was absolutely no seasoning on the vegetables or meat. i took a few bites and tossed it. i felt bad wasting food.. but it was really bland.

we moved on our merry way!

i found some local chicken breasts that i snatched up.. i am sure i will make something fun with them this week. perhaps a stuffed breast of some sort?

no farmers market trip is complete without a stop at the melon stand. we sampled cantaloupe, israeli melon & watermelon.

soooo juicy! it was dripping. they don’t call it watermelon for nothin’!

we picked up four melons.

IMG_0509 IMG_0507

next to the melon stand was the nature’s indulgence granola stand that i raved about last week.

we sampled a few flavors and ended up picking up some vanilla nut as well as some lemon blueberry granola. this stuff is the best!

our bags were getting heavy.. but there was still so much more to see! including this guy:

yowza! that, my friends, is an italian trombocini.

we had never heard of a trombocini before, but that didn’t stop us from nabbing one to try!

i will let you all know how it is.

my mom is making roast in the slow cooker for dinner tomorrow, so she decided to pick up some locally grown potatoes and carrots to throw into the crock pot.

IMG_0517 IMG_0519

we decided to get even more local with the meal and picked up some grass fed beef.

IMG_0524 IMG_0521

my mom talked cuts with the woman working the booth.  she has been in search of a specific cut of roast for years now.. still no luck! the butcher stopped cutting the specific roast cut years ago and my mom hasn’t been able to find the cut since.  it is my dad’s favorite cut.. i think it is cute that she always tries to find it. just to make him happy :)

hopefully the cuts we got for dinner tomorrow are good!

my mom is famous for her homemade jams, seriously.. they are the BEST jams you will ever try.  she picked up a flat of bear lake raspberries.. mmm.. can’t wait for the jam tomorrow!

we also snagged some corn on the cob, heirloom tomatoes and ground beef hamburger patties.  let me tell you, our bags were HEAVY! i told my mom that they need shopping carts at the farmers market!

i am excited for dinner tomorrow. everything on the menu came from the market. i love supporting local farms, plus the food is better for us!  i will let you know how it turns out :)

well, i am going to head to the gym now! i love going to the gym on saturdays, it is usually not crowded at all.  although, this is my first time going to my new gym on a saturday—i hope that is the case with it.

enjoy the rest of your weekend! get outside and soak up this saturday.. it is one of the last few of the summer!

1. what is your favorite kind of jam?
mine is definitely raspberry. while peach is my favorite fruit, peach jam has nothing on raspberry jam. i LOVE it. especially on fresh baked bread with butter. yum.

2. what new-to-you foods have you tried lately? i am excited to try the italian trombocini!

Tina August 21, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I wish my farmer’s market had more cool stuff like that. The owl button bracelet is so you!

That trombocini looks freaky.

Jessiker Rabbit August 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Hey I want to go with you next week!!! I love farmer’s market. AND I WANT ONE OF THOSE BRACELETS!!! <3

thedelicateplace August 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm

1. fave jam is ginger marmalade!
2. i tried a flying saucer squash/pattypan the other day, not only does it look cool but the taste is pretty great too!

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) August 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Looks like a super fun Saturday with your mom. That limeade looks really good :)

jess August 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm

i love going to farmers markets with my mom too but i’ve never bought that much!! jealous much, hahah.

can’t wait to see how everything turns out :)

Lauren August 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm

WOW! What an amazing morning. I only love going to farmers markets with my dad. He is the only person who I truly appreciate spending this time with. Your mom and you seem like you have this same kind of relationship. So cool!

MelissaNibbles August 21, 2010 at 3:04 pm

That thing is hilarious! It looks like big, green poo. Hope it tastes better than that!

caronae August 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I love giant farmer’s market trips! They are the best. I am all about the local meats, veggies, fruits, even milk! Local is so good!

I am not a huge jam person, but I do like raspberry and blueberry. Yum. Happy Saturday!

Erica August 21, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Great day! And that breakfast was a perfect start. I need to try those TJ muffins ( I know I already said this ;)). Glad you had fun farmers market shopping with your mama. I went shopping with my mama today too! And I can’t wait to see what you make with your goodies. Favorite jam/jelly- blackberry!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 21, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I am all over strawberry. Or blueberry. Whatever doesn’t have seeds!

Susan August 21, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Ooooh, I went to the market today too!!! Okay, I guess that’s not such a big deal because it’s Saturday, and that’s what everyone does on Saturdays. Whatever ;) This market looks amazing – so many fun things!! I didn’t buy much food at mine because it’s so frickin’ expensive. Only local “farmer” I supported was the perogie guy ;)

1. Blueberry, hands down!!
2. I had deep dish pizza last weekend, does that count?? I also bought FRESH dates today. Haven’t tried them yet, but I’m pretty excited about it.

Lotsa love JG!!!! <3

Mary August 21, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I was there today! The mint limeade looked great, I’ll try it next time :)
I was trying to decide what food to eat. I couldn’t find the raw food stand, their cashew sauce is amazing. I liked those bracelets too…almost bought one!

Patricia Braithwaite August 21, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I am so jealous! I’ve been wanting to go to the farmers market for forever. I just always forget about it and usually don’t have anyone to go with. If you plan to go again, please call me. I would LOVE to tag along. It looks like so much fun!

Heather (Where's the Beach) August 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Love farmers’ markets. Can’t wait to hear what you do with that Italian trombocini. I need to look it up!

sassyras August 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Hmmmmmm….i have to say blackberry jam and boysenberry jam…yum

Can I get the recipe for how Mommb makes jam?
Does she have her own blog?

I picked up some skinny eggplant from the farmers market today.
I was thinking of spicy eggplant. Yum

hundredtenpounds August 21, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Portland has many many markets–Farmer’s Markets in every neck of the woods, and the PSU Farmer’s market, plus the Saturday market. It’s easy to spend an entire day shopping!

runningaroundnormal August 21, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Those pictures are great! Got some photography skilllllz :) Cute bracelet!

Holly August 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I JUST CAUGHT UP ON 7 GLORIOUS POSTS. ummm, i don’t get how time goes fast/slow either, but really is just the same everytime. i was also on a smoothie binge for awhile, but its been awhile so i think i should resurrect that. the picture of baby penelope + marshall is the cutest thing ever. *LOVE* the wedding photos. i am also loving that fresh, homemade pesto. i need to get married so i can have a fully stocked kitchen and a food processor. there’s my random thought of the day. and yes, i have actually thought that before. apparently, a “i’m 25-years-old-and-poor-working-in-my-first-full-time-job” is not a good reason to have a shower where people give you things. what gives?

emily August 21, 2010 at 9:19 pm

1. My favorite is a savory kind from Stonewall Kitchen; hot pepper peach. It is soooo good smeared on cream cheese.

2. I am going to try making fresh figs tomorrow.

Those button bracelets are so cute! Our tiny little farmers’ market doesn’t have any crafts.

emily August 21, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Rather “cooking with” fresh figs tomorrow.

leianna August 21, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Yum, homemade raspberry jam sounds so good! Love all your market finds, jealous that you have a market period!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 21, 2010 at 9:39 pm

girl what an amazing time you had!! and sampling all that awesome food! best of all, you were with your loved ones and having a great time with your mom. for some reason, every time i see pics of you and your mom, I always start crying. something about the love that i can literally feel from here! it’s my greatest wish that skylar and i have a relationship like you two have one day :)

xo

lo August 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Farmers Markets are beautiful! And I love the served such amazing food! Lamb kabobs, watermelon and granola…ways into my heart. You and your momma are gorgeous! Enjoy your Sunday love!

Lo

Jessica Q. Lee August 21, 2010 at 10:58 pm

You and momma b got soooo much stuff!!

I love strawberry jam. Mmmm mmm..

coco August 22, 2010 at 5:12 am

love farmer’s market… I can’t believe that I haven’t been in one this year!!! Fresh produces are the best!!! :D

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 22, 2010 at 7:57 am

I love farmers markets- looks like a great time!

I LOVE raspberry jam. Fig jam is awesome, too!

New to me foods… well, I’ve never made my own British scones and I did this morning- they were fab, if I do say so myself!! :)

xo
Kris

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 22, 2010 at 9:46 am

There’s a woman at the flea market in Brooklyn that sells typewriter key jewelry for about a third of that price…if I make it there this fall I’ll try to pick you up a bracelet!! So cute, I bought my BF cufflinks and myself earrings :)

My favorite jam is probably strawberry! I’m a simple girl. Hope you have a great Sunday!!

Katie August 22, 2010 at 10:50 am

Loving all the pics! U have amazing photography skills for sure girl!!!!

Your mom is so pretty, she is seriously one of the prettiest moms ever!

Im glad you and your mom had such a great day! I cant wait to see my mom next weekend! Its hard not living near my mom anymoe, I miss her so much!

My fave jam is strawberry! I like raspberry too!!!!!!!

Errign August 22, 2010 at 11:14 am

ohmy, I heart owls too!

I love raspberry jam too! Best stuff evah! Don’t think I’ve ever had peach jam – sounds tasty!

Jen August 22, 2010 at 12:58 pm

The typewriter bracelets are so cool!!! WAY out of my price range, but cute!! I love everything they had to offer at your farmer’s market!

Favorite jam? hmmmm, I don’t think I have ever met a jam I didn’t like!!!

Jen

Katie August 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I love those little button bracelets! Thank goodness for generous mamas. :-)

Mary August 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Your mom is so cute. The farmers market looks fun!

I love raspberry jam too. :)

New to me food – way too many to name here in NZ. Lots of new fun things.

lowandbhold August 23, 2010 at 7:59 am

You guys scored big time! It looks like a fantastic market! Can’t wait to see your local meal.

I love apricot jam the most. yum.

melissadishes August 23, 2010 at 4:48 pm

My favorite jam is any type with berries.
I think the last new thing I tried was the Santa Claus melon.

I need a Farmer’s Market like yours! Based on the prices I saw in the photos, those are AWESOME. The FM’s here are so much more pricey, because it’s the “cool and trendy” place to shop.

Rachel August 27, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I love, love, love those Trader Joe’s high fiber muffins. I just wish they weren’t so expensive!