on the road.

by Janetha on August 8, 2010

in meals

hello! i am in the car right now, on the road back home from arizona.  since it is an 11 hour drive, i figured i would utilize the time and ramble. i’m good at that.

by the way, i have crazy DOMS in my hamstrings and chest from thursday’s mini-workout. who knew?

i know i’ve got more honeymoon and wedding recapping to do, but right now i am going to tell you about the some more of my arizona trip.

i left off on thursday night.  we went to an italian restaurant called oregano’s for dinner.

the menus were gigantic!

i ended up sharing an italian salad and a deep dish mexican-style pizza with kristen.  sorry for the ridiculously horrible photos.

the pizza tasted like an enchilada! it was delicious.  delicious, but filling. i only managed to eat one slice.

after dinner we went out to some booty-shakin’ club. it was fun, but i will never be one of those girls who can go to a club and dance. i wasn’t born with whatever chromosome that gives you the ability to dance. i just watch from the sidelines.

friday morning we woke up and decided to hit the pool bright and early.  it was already incredibly hot outside!

after our dip at the pool, we cleaned up and went to a coffee shop.

definitely the best place we ate the whole trip!  they had awesome coffee, fresh baked pastries and cupcakes, and breakfast & lunch items.

IMG_9915 IMG_9918  IMG_9927

although it was nearing lunchtime, we all were feeling breakfast. we placed our orders and waited.

IMG_9924 IMG_9923

i got the veggie scramble with 9 grain toast.  all the ingredients used were farm fresh.  actually, some of the ingredients used were from the farm that was right next to the coffee shop.

best meal of the whole trip, right here.

i also had a big iced coffee.

the gals who won “cupcake wars” on the food network work at this shop, so i thought i better snag a couple baked goods to go.

IMG_9953 IMG_9947

i got a blueberry scone and a miniature loaf of the blueberry almond poppyseed coffee cake.

we wandered around outside a bit after eating.

IMG_9969 IMG_9939 IMG_9945 IMG_9959

next up was fashion square in scottsdale.  they had three not-to-be-missed stores: h&m, crate & barrel and, for marshall, the puma store.

we got a lot of fun things including a rug for the kitchen and a hard boiled egg slicer, but the best purchase was a dog treat jar that says “WOOF!” on it. for the kids :)

we headed back to the hotel after shopping.. walking around in the heat sure takes it out of you… we ended up taking a long nap!  when we woke up it was, of course, time to eat again!

we hit up another must-eat-at-while-in-arizona spot..

the pita jungle!  i ate here once before and dreamt about it since.  we ordered two appetizers: the nachos & a trifecta of hummus.

HUGE pile’o’nachos.

three kinds of hummus: plain, roasted red pepper & cilantro jalapeño. with warm pita bread.

the hummus tasted even better than it looks.

i ended up filling up on the appetizers and was too full for an entree!  that’s ok, hummus for dinner is fine by me.

there’s always room for ice cream, so i snagged some froyo from a spot next door to the pita jungle. but, of course, i ate it too quick and it escaped the camera’s eye.

i am going to stop there, my laptop is near death and it actually makes me a little nauseous to type while riding in the car. bleh. but i will be back next time to recap the rest of the trip!

1. what is your favorite flavor of hummus?

2. what did you do over the weekend?

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 8, 2010 at 10:46 am

That hummus platter is so pretty! I love regular old hummus the best. But I also really love TJ’s tuscan hummus.

kristastes August 8, 2010 at 3:43 pm

TJ’s tuscan is AWESOME! now having a craving for it…

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) August 8, 2010 at 10:50 am

That hummus looks so good!

kbwood August 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

UMM i think not working out has been really good for your abs. seriously- they look AMAZING!

mom August 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

Wow!! The humus plate is gorgeous!! And sorry to say I too lack the whoop it up and dance with an awesome beat chromosome too :( boy I’ve managed to pass a lot on to you huh?! Xoxo
Be safe!

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger August 8, 2010 at 11:11 am

Oh dear heavens, that hummus plate looks INCREDIBLE! Seriously, I almost drooled on my laptop just looking at it HA!

And, wow, you look so so so FIT girl! Despite not working out a lot the past month, you look as fit as ever! NICE!

Carbzilla August 8, 2010 at 11:22 am

For some reason, Fro-yo in hot climates is better than anywhere else! I had awesome Fro-yo – not at that mall but another one close by in Scottsdale. Wehave no good Fro-yo up here. Go figure – it’s August and 55 degrees today.

I love that jalapeno hummus from TJ’s.

We went clamming yesterday. Today we’re cleaning the house, organizing (it’s endless), and running to Target!

Erica August 8, 2010 at 11:24 am

Looks like a great trip. So jealous of your sun time. I am craving some. The hummus at that last restaurant is so gorgeous! And the nachos look incredible. Love a good brunch ( had two this weekend ;))- especially when they use fresh/local ingredients. Favorite flavor of hummus- jalapeno cilantro. What did I do this weekend? Taught class, hung out with Josh’s family, took care of Josh, blogger meet up!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 8, 2010 at 11:24 am

That hummus looks amazing! It’s so pretty. Almost too pretty haha!

Looks like you guys are having fun. I agree that H&M and Crate and Barrel are not to be missed. I need both of those stores closer to me!

Sweet Cheeks August 8, 2010 at 11:24 am

daaaang ABS! Hahaha you look freaking awesome girl!

And yes, hummus makes for quite a lovely dinner, i agree. :D

Angharad August 8, 2010 at 11:55 am

Awesome sounding trip young lady. I could not blog in the car…I can’t even read in the car. Bleugggh.

1) Fave hummus is just pure garlicky-ness
2) Tried to stay cool! So hot in our gross un airconditioned apartment. I ran 3 miles and nearly died, I went to a place called the wienery and I played yahtzee at my friend’s house :)

Excited for the rest of the travels/wedding recaps! x

Jessica August 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I have tried a spinich and artichoke hummus that was pretty dang tasty : )

You and Marshall are the cutest!

simplyshaka August 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Woman….stop talking about my two most fave places…Oreganos and Pita Jungle!

Tamizn August 8, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I love coriander hummus but I’m currently eating one with green olives which is pretty good. Damn girl I want your abs! I need to catch up on life over here I feel a little out of date! I’ve been doing homework all weekend had a good session in the gym earlier though so feeling good x x

Valerie C. August 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm

i think we need to take a moment of silence in honor of those KILLER abs. Girl…u are my HERO! U feel HORRIble/completely taken over with guilt if i miss a workout…you help me get over my fear and realize working out should not always be my top priority. Hell…i wouldn’t mind more rest days with more food if I could look like you :)

I’m not a huge cupcake fan but those scones look DELICIOUS! :)

Run Sarah August 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Janetha you look so good in that bikini! That hummus looks ridiculously good – I think more restaurants need to offer hummus appetizers, yum.

erika @ Dr.TriRunner August 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm

that coffee shop sounds epic. and i have your swim suit btw! :)

sadly… am allergic to sesame -> allergic to tahini -> allergic to 97.89% of all hummus on the market. BUT. there’s this one brand called oasis that makes tahini free hummus, and it is AMAZZZING. but they stopped carrying at the co-op by me, and now i can’t seem to find it anywhere!! :( if only i could figure out their recipe….

lindsay August 8, 2010 at 1:57 pm

hummus for dinner is definitely okay for me too. I love plain hummus and in Texas we have a black bean jalapeno hummus. Its pretty hot and tasty.
Our heat index is just about the same. CRAZY!!! Drive safe. :)

Maren August 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm

That hummus platter looks to die for! YUM. I like roasted red pepper! and anything garlicy tasting:) This weekend we went to the Niobrara. It’s this huge lake in northern Nebraska and you camp out and rent tubes and float all day. I am fried! It was a blast though! Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your trip(s)!

homecookedem August 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm

That is the most beautiful plate of hummus I’ve ever seen!!

april August 8, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Your abs look awesome!!

kristastes August 8, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Wow that is the prettiest hummus I have ever seen! If hummus can be pretty ;) My favorite flavor is sabra with pine nuts mmm. I was at the beach all weekend and still here…don’t want to come home!

Katie August 8, 2010 at 4:10 pm

MMMm that coffee shop looks phenom! I want to go hang out there.

1. I love garlicy hummus
2. Went to a funeral and prepped for the school year. Not a stellar weekend, hah.

*Andrea* August 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm

i love garlic hummus, red pepper, chili pepper, veggie, pesto… basically any kind haha. cute pics! holy abs :D

Mary (A Merry Life) August 8, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I love the idea of farm fresh being from the farm right next door. That rocks.

I like jalapeno cilantro hummus. Or something like that. I tried it at whole foods a few weeks ago and fell in love it was so good.

BroccoliHut August 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Ooh! Hummus art! You KNOW I am diggin that.
Favorite flavor of hummus? These days I really like pumpkin or Goddess. Totally normal flavors, right?

Brynne August 8, 2010 at 7:51 pm

1. definitely roasted garlic!
2. worked, relaxed, and ate hummus :)

Jennie August 8, 2010 at 8:02 pm

You were in Gilbert right by my house! So crazy! :) I love The Coffee Shop!! The cupcakes are AMAZING, so is the quiche. I haven’t tried the hummus at Pita Jungle, I usually get a chicken pita or pesto pizza. I’m getting hummus next time. Everything there is delicious. I am booking plane tickets to come to SLC in October for my god sisters wedding. Can’t wait!! Sorry it was so hot here. It’s miserable right now but it might storm tonight, fingers crossed.

Naomi(oneFF) August 9, 2010 at 2:44 am

that hummus platter is GEORGEOUS!! omg! I am a plain jane gal when it come to hummus! my dad drew up in israel with the real stuff so that is most what I am used to eating! if you ever get a chance to go to isreal, the hummus there s UNREAL!!!!!

I love your pics, you and your hubby look so freakin happy! love you!

bubblegumgymkat August 9, 2010 at 6:10 am

WHOA that hummus is beautiful!!!! I would eat the whole thing with a spoon!!! And those nachos..YUMM!

mayapamela August 9, 2010 at 6:34 am

I’ve never been to Arizona (or anywhere in the southwest, actually) but I’d love to go! That hummus platter is a glorious sight. I do love a roasted red pepper hummus, but most of the time I like to keep it traditional.

Di August 9, 2010 at 6:47 am

That’s a gorgeous hummus platter. It looks delicious! I’m pretty sure I’d have just eaten that and those nachos for dinner, too. :)

runningaroundnormal August 9, 2010 at 6:59 am

I wasn’t blessed with the dancing chromosome either, but I still get out there and shake my booty as if I did, haha
Look at those abs, girl! You’re looking amazing!
Looks like a great end to the vacay – the hummus platters sound amazzzing :)
Have a safe trip!

Erika August 9, 2010 at 7:56 am

That is some beautiful hummus! :-) My favorite flavor is horseradish hummus, but I have been dying to try Tribe’s Pizza Hummus! Wierd, I know. :-)

Freckled Foodie August 9, 2010 at 8:17 am

gahhh that hummus plate makes me want to lick it clean :) i just snagged a “three flavor” hummus platter at the store this weekend. annnnddd 2 of the 3 sections are almost empty already haha. i never knew tribe made pizza hummus!! i must find this.

anndddd my fave changes. right now, probably forty spices by tribe!

Jenn August 9, 2010 at 8:24 am

Oreganos is one of my favorite chain restaurants ever and my favorite pizza hands down. We go there EVERY time we visit AZ (a few times a year). I’ve never had that pizza because we have never ordered anything else but Oreganos Favorite Salad and Grandma G’s Rosemary Pizza. It’s off the hook!

lowandbhold August 9, 2010 at 10:11 am

That’s probably the prettiest hummus I’ve ever seen. Love it!

My fave hummus flavor is probably roasted red pepper, but garlic comes in at a close second.

This weekend I ran, worked, hung out with family, and lazed.

elise August 9, 2010 at 10:24 am

bangin bod janeeeeeeetha. i know im no longer a loyal commenter (i have a semi-legit excuse though, right?), im still faithfully following you :)
i just HAD to drop in to comment after that gorg hummus platter. omg. i want.

fave hummus? i could never choose…

zoe August 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm

LOVE your flower printed dress!!

and giiiiirl look at your abs! you be bangin’!

favorite type of hummus = spicy, spicy, spicy!!! i sampled some spicy goodness at the farmer’s market this weekend :)

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices August 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm

HOLY abs girlfriend!! :D You look awesome.
Lovin’ all of the pics…& hummus is one of my favorite foods, by far. I always get the garlic kind

Kailey (SnackFace) August 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm

So, I was chillin, catching up on yo life and had these two physical reactions:

1) Actually said to myself, “Damn, I want Janetha’s abs.” Then I had a convo in my head about how I simply don’t think it’s in my genetics.
2) Gasped and said “Oh my god” when I saw that hummus. It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

I miss you, friend!!!!! I’m sure you’re having the summer of YO LIFE, though!! Love you! xoxoxo

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 10, 2010 at 4:55 am

Just catching up on blogs butttt…

OMG those nachos.

I love me some red pepper or garlic hummus.

And I got MARRIED this weekend! :D

xo
Kris

hayleycepeda August 14, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I know I haven’t been good at commenting lately, but I’ve been reading your posts and checking out your pics and can I just say, “HOLY ABS BATMAN!!!” You look fantastic in your bikini shots J!! Just as good as ever.. :)

PS – I’m wiping the drool off my monitor after looking at that broccoli chicken casserole…