i’m melting.

by Janetha on August 5, 2010

in meals,moves

hello from arizona!  it is scorching hot outside and so we are taking a load off in the hotel room and cooling off right now.  i just thought i would pop in to say hello.

we left for arizona last night at 8 PM and arrived in mesa around 5 AM (6 utah time). i ate half of this sub-par sub on the way.

i slept basically the whole drive, then once we checked into the hotel it was more sleeping!

i finally woke up for good around 10:30.  after dropping kristen off at her school (she had graduation obligations all day), i came back to the hotel and decided to work out.

weird, i know. i never work out these days!  but the hotel had a nice fitness center and i happened to bring along my gym clothes.

IMG_9825 IMG_9827 IMG_9828

hi! IMG_9829

marshall & rory were in the room waiting for me, so i decided to do a speedy 30 minute workout that incorporated a little bit of everything.

treadmill warmup:

reps

sets

dumbbell stiff legged deadlift 15# ea hand 10 3
dumbbell chest press 15# ea hand 10 3
single arm dumbbell row 8# 10 ea arm 3

stretch.

while this workout was super simple and quick, i have a feeling the DOMS is going to be brutal. i haven’t lifted a dumbbell in over a month, people. i am already feeling the effects!

i showered and cleaned up, then we ventured out to find some food.

enter: the good egg.

i’ve been here once before, when i was visiting kristen a couple years ago.  i love their extensive menu, but it was hard to make a choice! i finally settled on a frittata with egg whites, mushroom, onion, tomato, basil, cream cheese & mozzarella.

it came with wheat toast and a side of fruit. i was in love with those huge chunks of mozzarella and the super fresh basil!

delicious.

marshall had the berry blintzes and i snagged a bite. they definitely tasted as good as they look!

after eating we wandered around a mall.. anything to get out of the 110 degree heat! holy crud, i don’t know how people who live here handle this heat. bleh.

kristen was done with her school stuff around 5 and we swooped her up. now we are just relaxing until we go out to dinner tonight.. the plan is italian!

hope you all have a great night tonight and a fun filled friday tomorrow.

1. favorite move using free weights? for lower body it is bulgarian split squats and upper body i love skull crushers.

2. breakfast food: sweet or savory? i most often pick savory breakfasts. sweet can often lead to overkill as i don’t have much of a sweet tooth.

Meg August 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm

It’s certainly obnoxiously hot here as well, I feel ya :( ugh! That sandwich from the Good Egg looks amazing – but I’m definitely a SWEET morning girl! Those blintzes would be right up my alley ;)

Hope you have a fantastic evening and get some relaxing in :)

Katie August 5, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I love tricep and bicep exercises because it makes my muscles look so awesome when doing them, especially bicep curls while sitting on an incline bench!

I like both sweet and savory breakfasts. I like to combine them too! Oats with egg whites mixed in (like Julie!) :)

I’m loving this Body For Life regime! I feel the DOMS and it’s wonderful!!!

Amy (Healthy > Thin) August 5, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Lower body: lunges with hand weights
Upper body: tricep press
That frittata looks delicious! I wish I had the skills to re-create it at home. I’m also a savory breakfast gal…sweet breakfasts don’t seem to keep me full for very long.

Angharad August 5, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Why hello! I like that being a lurker on twitter means I know that you’ve blogged pretty much instantly :)

110F is not ok. Not even slightly.

1) I have no idea what any of that stuff is called but I can tell you I did Body Pump last night and that I have DOMS out the wazoo right now. It hurts to sit down. And stand up.
2) Completely depends on the mood but normally savoury I guess…it tends to shape the rest of my day weirdly. If I start sweet, my little sweet tooth never goes away. Cheeky.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness August 5, 2010 at 7:34 pm

We just don’t get to spend much time outside during the summer months.. which pretty much sucks. You MUST go to True Foods while you’re here (it’s at the Biltmore in Phoenix)!! As far as free weights, I love squats :) And breakfast, sweet all the way.. well 87% of the time..

Kaley August 5, 2010 at 7:41 pm

1) I love shoulder raises, just because I don’t generally tend to work those.
2) I suppose sweet. But sometimes I like eating non-breakfast foods for breakfast because I’m one of those weirdos who doesn’t actually like breakfast as much as lunch/dinner.

Erin August 5, 2010 at 8:10 pm

The 110F summers might not be great, but the rest of the year is fantastic. I grew up on the East coast and now live in Las Vegas. 60F winters? Yes, please!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 5, 2010 at 8:19 pm

You’re in AZ??!! I need to get more info. Where, why? Obvi I’m behind on my reading :-/

I ate at the GOod Egg with Heabie in December with Derek- we modified the hell out of everything and they couldn’t have been nicer about it.

I guess I was a salamander in a previous life because I ADORE ADORE ADORE the heat- I’m in Palm Springs and I’m loving every freakin’ degree. I sigh happy sighs when I get into my hot car and scream “Brrrrr!” when I step into a freezing movie theater.

Miss you. Love you.

simplyshaka August 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Yay for the Good Egg! I used to live in Tempe and adore that place. Stay cool (I’m going in 2 wks and dreading the weather!)

Lara (Thinspired) August 5, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Ok, so what is a bulgarian split squat? This girl needs some lifting 101 ;)

1. I love doing tricep stuff with hand weights :) I always try to make ’em sore!
2. I prefer sweet, but savory seems to hold me over better!

Jenn August 5, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Renegade rows are probably my fav.

Probably savory as well.

Have fun in AZ.

MelissaNibbles August 6, 2010 at 2:45 am

Oh damn those blintzes look good!

My fave moves are squats with an overhead press and tricep kickbacks.

Erica August 6, 2010 at 3:00 am

Hope you enjoy the rest of a trip. Gotta love when a hotel has a decent gym. I usually base the hotels I choose for work travel on their gyms haha. Breakfast out- my favorite meal!! The chunks of moz do look awesome.

April August 6, 2010 at 3:09 am

Dumbbell chest flies for me. Gotta work those chesticles!!

I am a SWEET breakfast person for sure!!

hayleycepeda August 6, 2010 at 3:21 am

At least it’s not humid there! :) Still…hot is hot and I know the heat in AZ can be brutal. It’s hot AND humid here – so much so that I walked down to my mailbox and had sweat rolling down my face before I made it back inside…and our driveway is not that long!

That egg white frittato looks so yummy!!!! I’m with you – I prefer savory breakfasts over sweet. I love working out at hotel gyms (so long as they’re fairly nice)…there’s something about being in a new place that makes the workout a bit more interesting!

lindsay August 6, 2010 at 3:42 am

Oh I remember going to the good egg once. Love those breakfast choices. I usually do sweet and savory. Like eggs and oatmeal. Its 100 degrees here in austin too, we’re dying!!

Lauren August 6, 2010 at 3:57 am

Happy you made it safely to the dessert! Sounds like you guys are having a great time.
Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

Kelly August 6, 2010 at 4:19 am

My fav. move with dumbells is called the Plank Row(i think!). This is so hard, but soo good:). I also feel pretty proud of myself that I can do this move at all!!!

Katie August 6, 2010 at 4:52 am

Wow I hate the heat as well, it makes me feel sick : p glad you guys made it safe and yay for a nice hotel gym!!! SOme hotel gyms are not that great, love that you squezed in a workout, and I also LOVE that you aren’t beating yourself up over not working out everyday, I think that is great, I feel the same way, if I workout great, if not, no worries !

Hope you had a yummy italian dinner tonight and enjoy your trip, congrats to Kristen too!! xoxo

Amanda-The Nutritionist Reviews August 6, 2010 at 5:19 am

Your meals look sooo tasty today! How is the married life?

Freckled Foodie August 6, 2010 at 6:46 am

breakfast looks good, but i’m definitely more of a sweets girl in the morning! if i have something savory for breakfast, i need somethin’ sweet at lunchtime!

Erika August 6, 2010 at 7:48 am

I am a sweet breakfast person 90% of the time. I love my sweets! :-)

greensandjeans August 6, 2010 at 7:55 am

I live in Phoenix and it is flipping hot here in the summer! The worst part is you don’t get much of a break from it!

lowandbhold August 6, 2010 at 8:56 am

Yeah, it’s that hot here and I don’t know how anyone is doing it. That kind of heat is proposterous.

The frittata looks super yum though. Even though I drink sweet smoothies for breakfast every day during the work week, I prefer savory breakfasts and almost always order some sort of egg dish when I eat breakfast out.

Mama Pea August 6, 2010 at 9:35 am

I love how laidback you’ve become (in a GOOD way) with your eats and workouts. Married looks good on you!

SheFit August 6, 2010 at 10:18 am

Awh, If I knew you were coming out here I would have said we should meet up. I’m leaving for cali though in a few hours… yes, it’s very very very hot! Try to stay cool while out here!

Sabrina Nan August 6, 2010 at 10:53 am

I used to eat at the good egg on our “sleep in days” in high school. so yummy!!!

Lori August 6, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Sweet breakfasts for sure! Green smoothies, oats, banana breads. ;) YUM!
Although, an egg or two is pretty tasty smothered in the right sauces.

Naomi(oneFF) August 6, 2010 at 1:10 pm

WOWZA taht egg looks good! i swear its going to be hard looking at these delicious meals and having my pre comp diet ahhh..its okay I dont mind drooling! nice hotel gym!! I hate the ones where its legit an elliptical, treadmill and a weight machine that has 5 sides for different sort of exercises!

i LOVE sweet for brekfast, savory any other time of day, but first thing in the morning I crave sweet stuff!!! (eggs, oatmeal, berries, SF syrup etc)

Lower body, Plie squat holding DB and upper body-ANYTHING shoulders like military presses or arnold presses!

LOVE YOU!

inmytummy August 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I just did some side lunges that just about killed me. Which means that I liked them, I guess.

I’m more of a savory breakfast person. Every now and then, I like pancakes, but not really.

BroccoliHut August 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Sweet fitness center–much bigger than my apartment complex’s.
Favorite free weight move=overhead tricep extension.
I’m a sweet breakfast kind of girl, but I enjoy a healthified McMuffin every now and then:)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger August 6, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Great use of the hotel gym! Looks like a super effective workout!

I love working my shoulders and my new fav move is the Arnold Press. I like a challenge;)

I’m a savory breakfast girl, but lately lovin’ the Truvia in my morning oatmeal:)

julie August 6, 2010 at 7:23 pm

k i totally understand you wanting to workout in the hotel gym! for some reason i just love hotel gyms haha especially when they’re legit!

enjoy italiano tonight girl!

i think my fav dbell move is the overhead dumbbell extension! gives me them doms every time :) and for breaking the fast it MUST be a sweet combo!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm

you’re in mesa…which was only like 45 mins from me…and of course, I live in San Diego now and will NEVER EVER live in AZ again…omg. But, we coulda woulda shoulda had a meetup had you been there like 6 weeks earlier. Sigh.

Good Egg. A phoenix staple…and defi!!! sweets for brekkie for sure!

Free weights = stiff legged dead lifts baby!

tanyasdaily August 7, 2010 at 9:32 am

free weight, side kicks
that sounds too hot for me…summer heat is no fun

ari August 7, 2010 at 5:54 pm

have you seen this?
made me think of you!

anotherhealthyhabit August 7, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I love savory breakfasts. For some reason I crave sweet breakfasts if I sleep in (which is hardly ever).

Upper body: Anything for triceps
Lower body: Squats with free weights

Laura @ Starloz August 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Oh boy, seeing as its winter in Australia i’m wishing it was stinking hot.

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) August 8, 2010 at 4:35 am

It’s been obnoxiously hot here too! Although yesterday was in the 70’s which felt *freezing* compared to what we’ve been having. I hope it cools off for you soon!

I’m definitely a “sweet breakfast person.” Although randomly, I’ll enjoy a savory breakfast on occasion too. :D

Barbara August 8, 2010 at 8:10 am

I hate driving in suffocatingly HOT weather- the kind that makes you nauseated no matter what! Well, on the other hand- we are in the midst of severe clouds and intermittent thunderstorms (at the oddest times of the day/night- and out of no where). Truly freak storms.
1. That picture of you in the gym is SO cute.
2. Your frittata looks so good!
3. I would’ve eaten all of Marshall’s blintz’s the second he turned his head…. then blamed it on somebody else!

Have a wicked time with your friends and congrats to her! That’s a HUGE accomplishment!
Do you ever feel awkward asking for a bunch of substitutions when out with people?
Barbara

Susan August 8, 2010 at 8:21 am

You have a wonderful excuse for not working out recently, and easing back into it is probably a good idea ;) I on the other hand would probably not be working out at all if I wasn’t in a gym everyday doing my job anyways. Seriously, no motivation happening over here. I blame the summer :)

1. Fave free weight move?? JG, that’s like asking for my favourite child!! I go through phases. Right now I love arnold presses and sumo squats.

2. I’m actually a savoury person in the morning!! Eggs and bacon on toast is my favourite breakfast of all time, I just don’t eat it every day because it’s not that filling. Oatmeal and waffles fill me more, so they usually win :)

Mary (A Merry Life) August 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Oooh, I’m in love with that frittata.

1. favorite move using free weights? any tricep move.

2. breakfast food: sweet or savory? either. I like both.

Pressure Sensors November 24, 2010 at 4:42 pm

breakfast foods should always be high in protein and also in carbohydrates, we need food energy during the early morning *'”