honeymoon part uno.

by Janetha on August 3, 2010

in meals

hey there! i want to start out by wishing my dad a happy birthday! we celebrated tonight with authentic chicago style hotdogs and, like always on my dad’s birthday, my mom is baked a red velvet cake.. i love tradition. i will recap the festivities next time.

before i dive into any honeymoon details, i want to share last night’s dinner! our good friends kristen & rory returned from costa rica late sunday night, so we invited them over for dinner last night.  the last thing people want to do after a long day of traveling is cook for themselves. and, in all honesty, the last thing kristen wants to do no matter what is going on is cook for herself ;)

on the menu:

• seedy whole wheat bread
  • olive oil & balsamic vinegar for dipping
  • parma rosa garlic & herb pasta with artichokes & grilled chicken (mushrooms & onions on the side)
  • green salad with a 3 lettuce blend, cucumber, red bell pepper, fresh garden tomatoes & avocado
  • fruit salad with peaches, honeydew, strawberries & cherries

i am loving the teardrop appetizer plates we got as a wedding gift. they are from crate & barrel.

marshall knows how to do dippi’ right.. complete with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper & parmesan cheese!

IMG_9709 IMG_9700 IMG_9702

i <3 my new pasta bowl! a hand-me-down from my sister.

you guys, here is another wedding gift we got that i have to rave about! everyone should go get one.

a cutting board & colander all in one! makes for easy veggie washing & chopping.

salad!

fruit!

pasta! i mixed farfalle and fusilli noodle types.

‘shrooms & onions!

IMG_9717 IMG_9716

my plate:

the pasta was delicious. i devoured the leftovers for lunch. leftover pasta is one of my favorite leftovers.. the flavors meld together overnight and it’s just fantastic.

the end.

also, this morning i decided i am not sure i like raisins. i hated them, then declared that i like them (finally, after 27 years of hating them) and now i am not so sure. i will keep you posted.

time for honeymoon recap #1!

we had to leave for the airport at 5 AM sunday morning! considering we didn’t get to sleep until almost 2 AM the night of the wedding, it was a really rough experience to get up and go to the airport.  we did make it there on time and i snagged some starbucks oatmeal & a grande americano.  no photos.. it was WAY too early.

we flew to phoenix and had a 3 hour layover, we napped on the floor.  that was nice!  and then it was off to cabo san lucas!

here we are at the airport, waiting for our transfer to the resort. exhausted but happy to be there :)

216 215

we stayed at the riu palace all inclusive resort.  it was beautiful! i don’t prefer all inclusive because the food is usually bad and gets really old & repetitive. but, it was actually cheaper than some of the non-inclusive resorts.  we booked the room and decided that we could eat wherever we wanted when we got sick of the food on the resort.

here are some photos of the suite.

231 219 223 226 228

we were definitely starving by the time we checked into the suite.  so, naturally, the first item of business was to find some food!  we wandered around the resort and found a snack bar open.  i have no photo of what i ate because most of my food photos were taken on my point & shoot camera.. which, in case you missed it, i lost on the way home from mexico :( almost certain it was a huge plate of chips & guacamole.

sunday night was pretty mellow. we relaxed and walked around. it was so humid and the temperature was perfect.  marshall & i love humidity.. but utah is a desert so we never get to enjoy it! at home, my skin is always so dry. but in mexico i didn’t have to put lotion on the whole time. fantastic!

the next morning we woke up around 10 AM and went to grab some breakfast.

236

we also wandered around the resort.

245 241 244

after that we decided to book some excursions!  you will hear more about what we picked as i recap the trip.  after booking the excursions it was off to the beach for some sun basking time.

002

i got a virgin pina colada..

009

and proceeded to spill it all over myself. it was cold!

004

hahaha my face in that photo is hilarious.

after beach time it was.. parasailing time!

035 036

we snagged a cab to downtown and made our way to the boat to go parasailing. i’d done it before (when i was 12) but marshall never had. we decided to go up together.  it was such a blast! 044 052 061 064

the sad thing is the point & shoot photos that we took while in the air are forever gone :( those photos are the ones i am probably the most sad about losing.

after parasailing, we walked along the beach, all the way back to the resort. this became habit.. i am not sure of the distance but it was a 20 minute walk. definitely got several miles of walking in on the trip! 074076077

i LOVED all the pups on the beach! made me miss penny & randy.

079 080

more photo overload.. for my sake, so i can look back at this post ;)

084 107 108 110 115 116 118 119 082083

that night, we went to town and ate dinner at cabo wabo. i got a massive lobster burrito.. it was gorgeous. i took a photo with my point and shoot. sigh. hope you can imagine.

when we got back to the resort, we hung out and watched the entertainment. the cocktail waitress snapped our photo..

121

and that, my friends, is the end of recap #1.

i have to go pack for arizona! i will be gone wednesday to sunday.  kristen is graduating from physical therapy school! she is gonna be a doctor! i am sooo proud of her.  anyway, we are leaving tomorrow, right after work. it is a LONG drive.. 600 miles or something. at least i will be in good company :)

i will try to check in sometime soon. hope you are all enjoying your week.

1. what is the farthest you have traveled via automobile? we used to drive to my mom’s hometown, kennewick, WA, a lot when i was little. i am not sure how many miles it was, but it usually took around 12 or 14 hours. gotta love those long road trips!

2. reader poll: mushrooms.. love ‘em or leave ‘em? LOVE ‘EM! i have to put them on the side because marshall hates them. i am a nice wife.

1970kikiproject August 4, 2010 at 11:03 am

LOVE mushrooms! raw, mostly, in salads and dipped in salad dressing.
LOVE what you’ve shared of your honeymoon! Can’t wait to see more – thanks for sharing with us! Sorry you lost some photos, but the ones you have included are great!
We’ve vacationed in Aruba several times and your photos and stories are making me long to go south again soon!

Maren August 4, 2010 at 11:25 am

Well Happy Birthday to your dad! He shares the day with my boyfriend! Looks like you guys had a great time! the place looks absolutely beautiful! You took some great pictures! Can’t wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

Maren August 4, 2010 at 11:26 am

p.s. the farthest is 10 hrs. to go see my grandma! and i LOVE LOVE LOVE mushrooms! I could eat them for every meal!

Jamie August 4, 2010 at 11:59 am

I recognize that black and white dog from Cabo! I was there the end of June and saw him almost everyday. Me and my friends decided he was one of the workers dogs that brought him to them beach everyday, I didn’t want to think that he was a stray…too sad.

melissadishes August 4, 2010 at 12:17 pm

That pasta looks freaking amazing!

Love the honeymoon recap and photos. I am totally jealous!

1. what is the farthest you have traveled via automobile? From San Antonio Texas to Billings Montana. We did a 2 week round-trip roadtrip when I was 8.

Last summer Dan and I drove to Destin Fl from Austin. That was pretty long too, our longest trip together.

2. reader poll: mushrooms.. love ‘em or leave ‘em? LOVE ‘EM! i have to put them on the side because Dan hates them. or if they are big, he’ll pick them out, but I usually put them on the side

homecookedem August 4, 2010 at 12:29 pm

What a fabulous honeymoon!! I bet you wish yall were back there right now!!

jayme August 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm

holy hannah montana, i love the pictures. :)

i also love the amount of supper/get-togethers you have with your friends, it’s a little inspiring. i wish i could do things like that more often but i just nottt blessed with the cooking skills.

it blows my mind that you actually like humidity. on the prairies we have humid and hot summers and it sucks balls. i would prefer the dry 113 degrees i experienced in las vegas to the sticky and humid 85 degrees here.

p.s. i am neutral to mushrooms.

BroccoliHut August 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Sweet honeymoon accommodations! Love the palm trees;)
Longest trip in the car: 13 hours from Pittsburgh to Birmingham when my family moved down South.
LOVE me some shrooms!

Amy (Healthy > Skinny) August 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I’m so super late with this but congratulations on getting married! You are definitely a busy newlywed– honeymoon and then Arizona! The farthest I have ever traveled in a car was from my hometown in Ohio ALL THE WAY to Orlando, Florida. That there is and overnight drive, good thing I was twelve and only cared about getting to Disney World. I LOVE mushrooms!

Mama Pea August 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

My favorite things in this post:

*happy birthday Dad!
*bread dippin’
*upside down liquor bottles in room
*virgin pina colada in your lap
*gorgeous photo of the happy couple!

Kennewick isn’t that far! Pea Daddy is from Kent.

I LOVE mushrooms. No one else in our house does though.

TanyasDailyProductReviews August 4, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I like mushrooms raw with mustard…
great pics!

jenngirl August 4, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I stayed in a riu palace in Mexico this past March! I thought it was pretty impressive as far as “all-inclusive” resorts go. And how can you beat personal liquor dispensers? jk…kind of.

1. Gosh, farthest I’ve driven would be to a rafting trip in North Carolina. It wasn’t so bad, I was with friends and our dads :)

2. LOVE mushrooms! The bf hates them. I’m making us stuffed mushrooms someday and making him eat them. He just doesn’t know theyre delish.

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 4, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Beautiful!

Brynne August 4, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Ahh your honeymoon looks fab and gorgeous!!

1. We used to drive from CT to Georgia and Florida to visit family. Two days. Woo. Hoo.
2. I just started LOVING mushrooms this year! I always thought they were disgusting before. The rest of my life will be dedicated to making up for 22 years’ worth of their absence.

Amber August 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love your honeymoon pics, and am looking forward to part 2!

1. When I was 8, my mom drove me, my younger brother, and my grandparents (all in one small sedan) from Colorado to Raleigh, North Dakota – about 5 minutes from Canada! It was along drive!!!

2. I LOVE mushrooms! I can eat them on a salad, on pizza, on a burger, in eggs, raw, sauteed, grilled, you name it. Luckily, my husband likes ’em, too. :)

emilyscurls August 5, 2010 at 9:45 am

Did you guys have/see/hear of ANY danger/unrest/trouble while in Mexico? I will be honeymooning there, and my family is worried due to the drug and immigration stuff that’s gone on there and blown up all over the news.

nic - the auspicious squirrel August 5, 2010 at 10:14 am

Love the recap, so sorry about your point and shoot loss… :(

Furthest I’ve ever driven… 3,300 miles… yep, you read that right… we just moved from the DC area to San Diego via San Francisco (it was a cooler drive given that it is hot this summer!)… we drove in two cars… it took us about a week. Long long long drive! But loved checking out this beautiful country of ours! It’s so easy to get caught up in the day to day tasks of living that we forget to just look around us… my husband had not seen those states before so it was fun to experience that with him. :) We drove through SLC btw, I gave you a shout out that day. ;) http://theauspicioussquirrel.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/hello-from-salt-lake-city-utah/

Mushrooms, love them… :D

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 5, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Love me a good road trip- but not tooooooo long.

Now I see why you’re in AZ. Cool!

Sniff sniff on the camera however, I would hazard a guess that the really important shots are on this camera- you have some lovely shots here so not all is lost- except food shots-= we all have good imaginations! :-) Big fat lobster burrito? Um, yup, got my visual!

hayleycepeda August 6, 2010 at 3:18 am

What beautiful pictures!! It looks like you guys stayed in a nice place – oh how I miss the ocean!! Parasailing is so much fun!! I’m really glad you guys did it. GREAT pic of you spilling your drink on yourself..he he he!!! Your face in the photo is cute.. :)

Healthy Coconut August 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I love vacation pictures. I went to Cabo last year for my birthday and took a picture in front of that same cactus at the airport, while waiting for oure resort shuttle lol!

eatingmachine August 9, 2010 at 8:25 am

waiiiiit your mom is from kennewick?
i’m from richland!
tri cities is kinda a wasteland, huh?