guest post! allie m.

by Janetha on July 24, 2010

in meals

Hi Meals and Movers! My name is Allie and I am the face behind Live Laugh Eat, a blog where I share my love for baking, healthy eating, food photography, and everything in between. Before I begin, I just want to say congrats to Janetha and Marshall on tying the knot!!

The topic of today’s post is actually something unrelated to food and fitness….you know, to keep things exciting while Janetha is vacationing (without us!!). I hope you’ll still find it interesting and useful though. Let’s get started shall we?

I graduated from college just 2 months ago, which left me with 1) no money and 2) a boatload of T-shirts.

You see, my school tuition cost more than my life. Luckily we got free things like T-shirts to make up for it. Earning back our tuition in T-shirts actually became the thing to do, if you will :)

Like Janetha, I am in the process of moving and I recently filled 2 trash bags with T-shirts, most of which were still brand new! I’ll probably donate most of them to charity but there are some T-shirts that are special to me that I just can’t part with. You know, the Backstreet Boys concert t-shirt you got when you were 12 or the shirt from your first 5K race? Gotta keep those fo-evah!

So…I found a way to make t-shirts useful.

Green Reusable T-shirt Bags

clip_image005

You can use these bags for grocery shopping, storing shoes in your suitcase, moving, and even to hold your dirty laundry. After all, you can just wash the bag with a load of laundry!

Materials:

• 1 T-shirt
  • scissors
  • sewing machine (optional)

Directions:

1) Cut a scoop slightly larger than the collar of your T-shirt. You want the scoop to be slightly larger than the collar because this is the opening of your bag.

2) Then cut off the sleeves. Again, you want to cut holes slightly larger than the actual sleeve openings because these will serve as the handles of your bag.

3) Next turn the shirt inside out and sew up the bottom. Our sewing machine is 5000 years old and no longer works so I figured out an alternative way to seal up the bottom.

**If your sewing machine works, by all means, sew!

Instead, I cut the bottom into narrow strips (about 3” from the bottom of the shirt) and tied the strips together in knots.

4) When you’ve finished tying knots across the bottom, turn your bag inside out again and TA-DA you’ve got a reusable bag!

clip_image024

What are you waiting for? Go find a T-shirt you hate (or love!) and recycle it!

clip_image026

1. What is one item in your house that you have recycled into something useful?
  2. How do you live a greener lifestyle?
Angharad July 24, 2010 at 3:16 pm

This is a genius idea!!

1. I wash out all my used glass jars (tomato sauce, peanut butter, etc) and use them to store bulk goods like nuts, grains and seeds. I love the look of things in glass jars!
2. My husband and I share a car and we *try* to remember to bring our own bags to the store when we do groceries. I am beginning to eat less and less meat which I know has a massive impact.

Great post!

Valerie July 24, 2010 at 3:32 pm

that is a super fantastic great idea. i absolutely love love love it!!!! doing this asap.

1. i use tupper ware as pots for my plants and herbs.

2. i use green bags. i recycle tupper ware from take out like crazy. at work, i put almost all my trash in the shredder so they can take it to get recycled.

fitnessandsunshine July 24, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Wow that is so cool! :) Definitely worth a try.

I do several things to make things reusable for me or for others, or to be “greener” in general:

1. Donate old clothes
2. Use a water filter + reusable bottle instead of buying bottled water
3. Unplug appliances not in use to save energy
4. Walk/commute to work

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 24, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Oh my gosh, what a GREAT idea!! I have sooo many t-shirts that I just can’t part with, so this is perfect for me. Thanks!! :)

Ashley July 24, 2010 at 5:00 pm

What a cool idea!! I’m planning on making a couple of my t-shirts into pillow covers :-) And I live a greener lifestyle by using reusable bags, refraining from using plastic utensils when I can, and not buying bottled water!

StephanieinSuburbia July 24, 2010 at 6:31 pm

This is really smart! Like others, I donate clothes and use reusable bags for groceries, and use BPA-free washable bottles for water. Always looking for other good ideas like this one!

ari July 24, 2010 at 7:23 pm

OH MY GOD that is so easy i love this!

Sara July 24, 2010 at 9:35 pm

SO AWESOME!! Great way to still use/appreciate shirts that have a lil sentimental value but you never wear, I love it!! Thanks x million! :)

She-Fit July 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm

omg, I love this idea. I have tons of t-shirts from college. This is great. I can’t wait to do this. Thanks!

Vanessa July 24, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Great idea!!! :) I have tons of t-shirts and this is a great idea to reuse some of them.

1. I reuse glass jars to store things like that….

2. I buy from the bulk bins. This cuts down on waste that is created from packaging. I also started bringing a thermos to work instead of using their styrofoam cups. :( It’s sad to see how much waste a business can make.

Eating Abroad July 25, 2010 at 2:45 am

Great post! I did a similar bag with my students this year but lined the shirts with duct tape first and then sealed the bag with staples. I now realize how unnecessary this was! If I do a similar project with my class this year, I’m using your method.

Steph July 25, 2010 at 6:48 am

Ali- GENIUS! I’m totally doing this! Love that I don’t need a sewing machine!

Kittie July 25, 2010 at 6:50 am

Wow. Great idea! I have a slight reusable bag obsession and certain abundance of college T-Shirts. This is perfect!

Carla July 25, 2010 at 7:26 am

Ingenious, Allie!! Simply ingenious!:)

Katie July 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

What a great idea!! I love this! I can’t wait to try it out for myself. :-) Thanks Allie.

Erika July 25, 2010 at 10:16 am

That’s such a neat idea! It will put a bunch of my old, ugly t-shirts to good use!

Kristin July 25, 2010 at 10:28 am

What a great idea!

We try to live a greener lifestyle in every way possible- reusing things, using green products!

xo
Kris

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 25, 2010 at 11:22 am

Such a cool idea! I have never ever seen this.

couchpotatoathlete July 25, 2010 at 1:44 pm

That is such a cool idea — even though it briefly reminded me of those purses made out of old jeans (where you cut off the legs/crotch of the jeans, sew up the bottom and sew on an arm strap) — please tell me you know what I’m talking about.

J and I resuse bags until they are basically torn to shreds, and I have nice cloth bags for groceries too. We try and reuse everything, buy used and sell/donate old things.

christine July 25, 2010 at 2:07 pm

What a fantastic idea! We should consider being green. I’ll try making some and give it to friends. Thanks for sharing! If you wont mind I’d love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it’s all set, Thanks!

kaztronomic July 25, 2010 at 2:32 pm

That’s a brilliant idea! I own only two reusable shopping bags, so I’m going to try this! :D

Hallie July 25, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Oh my gosh I have so many random T-shirts I need to do this! This was great.

Paige @Running Around Normal July 25, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Seriously Allie you are so impressive! That’s such a great idea. And I hear you on having an insane amount of t-shirts. I definitely have some that should turn into bags :)

Laura @ Starloz July 25, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Very impressive, if only I had the patience to make one of these.

seemichellecook July 25, 2010 at 9:10 pm

So smart! my kids are searching through their dressers right now for t-shirts!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) July 26, 2010 at 2:25 am

well aren’t you just the darn cutest, allie! what a great idea!! i save old cottage cheese containers and jars to store things in! I also bring my own bags to the grocery store :)

emily July 26, 2010 at 1:53 pm

i wanna see the bag inside-out!

pics please!!!!!

BroccoliHut July 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm

This is genius! And I am NOT just saying that because Allie is my real life friend:)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 1, 2010 at 2:48 pm

this is SUCH a cute idea! I can’t wait to try it!

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh August 2, 2010 at 7:23 am

LOVE THIS! I cannot wait to gome home and try it! So cute!!

sandy August 3, 2010 at 4:31 am