guest post! mara r.

by Janetha on July 23, 2010

in meals

Hi Meals and Moves readers! I’m Mara, and I write a little food and cooking blog called “What’s For Dinner?” where I chronicle my adventures in cooking and, more recently, baking.

clip_image002

I got married this past November, and am SO excited for Janetha and Marshall! They’re obviously a fantastic couple, and I wish them all the best in the forever to come. (Cue the gratuitous wedding pic here) :)

clip_image004

While Janetha focuses her blog on both meals AND moves (hence the name, right?) I’m not so much of a “moves” person. Meals, however, I can do! Learning to cook meals for both my husband Adam and I was quite a challenge as I’ll eat just about anything. Adam, on the other hand, is quite a bit pickier than I am. On his list of “I won’t eats” are:

• Mushrooms
  • Zucchini
  • Squash of any sort
  • Peppers
  • Onions
  • Scallions
  • Pork chops
  • Thick steaks
  • Chunks of tomato
  • Eggplant
  • Smoothies
  • Pancakes with fruit
  • “stinky” cheese, including blue

Needless to say, learning to cook tasty and healthy meals that we both will eat has been a challenge. Something I’ve learned to do is what they would call on Sesame Street, a “compromise”.

I’ll make something delicious, like these Puerto Vallarta Shrimp Burgers and I’ll deck them out with mixed greens fresh tomato, avocado aoli, and then eat a second one on a salad.

clip_image006

For Adam though, the burger gets plopped on the bun with a small dab of aoli, and I intentionally don’t tell him that they’re full of pureed peppers!

Yes. It’s much like feeding a small child at times, but I’ve learned to manage. Another compromise is something I’ve been calling “plates of randomness” full of various ingredients.

clip_image008

These plates include a protein, various vegetables, and a sauce of some sort. Whats the best part? While I get a meal full of vegetables, variety, and color, Adam can help himself to the protein and sauce and be completely satisfied, and the extra veggies usually serve as a lunch for me in following days. It’s a win-win for me, and Adam gets dinner out of the deal.

I have to say though, in the almost 6 years he and I have been together, both of our eating habits have changed quite a bit. When I first moved in, the freezer was full of frozen chicken parmesan and ribwich meals, and the fridge hadn’t seen a vegetable in months.

It’s all about baby steps and compromise… so keep that in mind, Janetha, as you enter into your first months of wedded bliss!

1. How do you compromise with your significant other?

2. Are there foods you or your significant other just won’t touch?

Lindsay July 23, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oh this has been an issue for me. I am constantly trying to eat healthier and create healthy meals, but my significant other is a french fries and steak sorta guy. He doesn’t like vegetables and usually only eats fruit if I cut it up and am eating it (he likes to pick off of my plate, which is fine by me if that means he gets some nutrients).

A few weeks ago his mom was away and I took over cooking dinner for us and his brother. I was able to try different things and control what was in my food. I loved it. It helps that his brother will try and eat anything. He will even take the leftovers to work. My boyfriend on the other hand will not eat leftovers for lunch.

Now I struggle to get the motivation to make us dinner because I always feel that he won’t enjoy it and it will be a waste. I have to try to “healthify” some recipes. Any suggestions?

fitnessandsunshine July 23, 2010 at 9:43 am

Hmm my boyfriend and I are actually pretty in-sync with the way we eat. I think though that I’m the pickier one of the two. I’d rather eat plain yogurt than strawberry flavored but he likes things like that. :)

Your dishes look so tasty and balanced, thank you for the post!

Graze With Me July 23, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’m pretty easy – the only thing I refuse to eat is pork or rich sauces/foods.

My husband is a little worse: he won’t eat yogurt, spinach, salmon or my zucchini pancakes. But I have converted him into a fruit lover – so long as I have a container of cut-up fruit ready to go he’ll bring some to work every day.

mel July 23, 2010 at 11:47 am

Those look GOOD!

He won’t eat mushrooms, any grains other than white rice, only white bread, etc. He also won’t eat anything or anywhere that is “healthy” “hippie”, or organic

He eats what I cook for dinner, I choose things with him in mind though.

tanyasdaily July 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I like lot’s of different foods…but tend to stick to the same meals..

Kerry July 23, 2010 at 12:08 pm

this is so helpful my bf is very fussy and wont go near veggies!! il be checking your blog!

Anne July 24, 2010 at 12:49 am

Plates of randomness work at our place too! Great because they can be customized perfectly with minimum effort! I load HIS plate with the feta I can’t eat, plenty of protein, which means I get some protein too, but load up on the veg that his tummy isn’t as used to as mine ;-)…but my, you’ve got a picky eater on your hands, good for both of you that you are interested in food and is working it all out! Lucky hubby!

I can’t remember specific things the bf won’t touch, he eats most veg and salads but he definitely sneaks a steak into the bag when he’s shopping, hahaha :-).

Nicole G July 25, 2010 at 7:27 am

I am in the same boat as commentor Lindsay. My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I struggled with bulimia throught my teenage years (I don’t throw-up anymore) but obviously the decisions about what I eat really affect my thinking everyday. I want to eat healthier and try to keep from yo-yoing with my weight but it is so hard when he doesn’t eat that way. Plus, we have very busy work schedules, work opposite shifts, and have two small children. I am really looking for ways to incorporate healthy meals into the rotation that he will eat and my kids will love.

He isn’t too picky as far as foods go, the only things he won’t eat are: eggplant, jell-o and yogurt (texture issues), and brussel sprouts. I will eat almost anything and would rather eat fruits, veggies, and carbs than meat anyday….except seafood-yum!