guest post! erica s.

by Janetha on July 22, 2010

in meals

Hello all! My name is Erica

and I write Itzy’s Kitchen. I am a 27 year old engineer & group fitness instructor (I know I know…the two basically go hand in hand ;)). I am married to an incredible man, Josh,

and have a very lazy English bulldog named Frank.

I was very excited with Janetha asked me to write a guest post because I love Meals & Moves. I have even made a batch of Janetha’s fabulous protein coffee cake.

Although I am a vegetarian, my husband does eat meat. Most people think this would cause arguments over what to eat for dinner…but I think everyone should eat what they want/like, so we make it work! To do so, I usually choose a main ingredient as a base, and I make a vegetarian version for myself and a meaty version for my husband. I wanted to share a few ideas of our meals:

Spinach, Rice & Beans

Italian Stuffed Squash

Stuffed Potatoes

If you have any questions, email me at Itzyskitchen at gmail dot com. Have a wonderful day!!

Q~

1. how does your eating style differ from your significant other’s?

lisaou11 July 22, 2010 at 9:55 am

Great post! I can see how they might be a struggle sometimes!

I’m not a vegetarian but I certainly like lots of veggies and Sean likes to stick with a few veggies—corn and green beans. Kind of limits me I feel like.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 22, 2010 at 10:17 am

Fitness Instructor and Engineer? Not such a weird combination! My sister does the same thing!

mom July 22, 2010 at 10:32 am

Looks like some great meals! But seriously Frank stole the post!! :) xoxo
Momma b.

Talia July 22, 2010 at 10:38 am

Wow that Italian Stuffed squash looks amazing! I have got to try that asap!:)

hayleycepeda July 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm

You are so darn cute!! An engineer AND a fitness instructor – that’s awesome!! I teach Jazzercise and personal train during the day, but I’m not at the Y full time so I can’t imagine working full time and instructing. Good for you! :)

Your eats look delicious! Great recipe ideas…I’d have to say my husband prefers less “healthy” foods (he hates when I substitute stuff) but I’m slooooowly trying to convince him that there isn’t always a huge difference in taste! He ate tofurky the other day after proclaiming he didn’t like it and said it was good (I told him it was chicken sausage). I figure telling a wee fib like that isn’t TOO terrible! :)

julie July 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm

i think that when i move in with you and josh i’ll switch up between what josh is eating and what you’re eating. that’ll prob work best for all three of us ;) hahaha ca-reeeeeeeepy comment julie.

btws that pic of you and josh-man is GORGEOUS

IF i had a significant other i’d do the same thing as you! everyone should eat exactly what they want :) i agree 10000000%

Carla July 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm

My fiance hasn’t caught on to the healthy food thing yet. Though we are both pescatarians, he basically likes to carb load during every meal…and he is not the biggest fan of vegetables. Right now, we have been eating separately (which makes me kinda sad). I’m not giving up my healthy, nutritious, whole food diet…so I hope he jumps on the bandwagon soon. Thanks for the yummy vegetarian meal ideas!! Everything looks sooooo good!!!

emily July 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm

The pictures of your dog remind me of my two ed and sally. They r english bulldogs too. So freakin cute eh?!?!

Angharad July 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Hi Erica! I really like the way you phrased that: “I think everyone should eat what they want/like” – very non-judgmental and accepting; I love it! There are times when I think my husband feels bad for wanting to eat junk because I’m not a big fan and vice versa sometimes I feel like I’m pushing my (mainly) healthy eating habits onto him. But I think communication is key here. We both know that the other really doesn’t judge what we’re eating. Rather than doing what you and Josh do (which I think is mega awesome!) we tend to just balance out healthy options with some less healthy ones from time to time – we both enjoy the mix so it works!

homecookedem July 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm

LOVE you Erica!! You are so pretty – inside and out!!

Andrew definitely eats way more meat, fried foods, and potato chips than I do. I think we balance each other out nicely though b/c I get more veggies into his life and he helps me splurge every now and then (though now that I’m preggers I really don’t need any help splurging, haha!).

Lauren July 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Love you Erica! :)

jqlee July 22, 2010 at 9:38 pm

haha, i loooove that you are smart but active!! most ppl with “brains” jobs aren’t “brawny” as they say it. go you!!

my bf is pretty healthy as am i but he will indulge more than i do and he has SUCH a better mental grasp on it. i am jealous of that.

melissadishes July 23, 2010 at 7:27 am

We eat COMPLETELY different. I eat healthy 90% of the time (I treat myself usually 1 meal on the weekends and even that is still moderately healthy).

We eat the same things for dinner at home, he eats what I make. so that is good, but he’s picky, so I only cook “Dan approved” meals and dishes. I try new things, but I am cautious when choosing what to try.

However he eats horribly any time we are not eating dinner together at home. He skips meals often, and eats out twice a day (if he eats breakfast). He refuses to take his lunch to work or even make moderately better choices when eating out with his coworkers. It’s kind of depressing. I call him and his coworkers the “heart attack” club. They’ve all had one or on the road to one. DBF has normal bloodwork levels, so he thinks this is ok, even though he’s at least 40 lbs overweight :-(

But you can’t make someone change, they gotta do it for themselves, this I know

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 23, 2010 at 1:26 pm

LOVED this post!!

I eat very different from my fiance, but we are learning to balance it out. Every so often we’ll go out for what he wants (burritos, heaping plates of pasta…) and I order healthier, and every so often we’ll go out for super healthy, vegan/vegetarian fare. I do most of the cooking at home, so he eats what I cook, but if he wants extra cheese or a little (erm, LOT of buttah), I let him be. His metabolism is way faster than mine! But he’s still fit and healthy!

xo