guest post! katie u.

by Janetha on July 21, 2010

in meals

Morning Motivation

Hi Meal Eaters and Movers! My name is Katie, and I have a little old blog called Yes, I want cake. I have a massive sweet tooth (and I really DO want cake all the time), but I try to maintain a healthy lifestyle through both diet and exercise. I eat cake when I want it, but I also fill up on lots of yummy veggies (I like them raw or roasted!), fruit, and sometimes some protein.

However, today I am mostly going to discuss exercise – something that is as near and dear to my heart as cake. I try to exercise 6 days a week. I am a teacher and an EARLY morning person, meaning I like my workouts to be finished by 6am – giving me an hour to shower, eat breakfast and have a little quiet time before I make my way to the rowdy 3rd grade world for the day. During the summer, that all goes out the window, but I maintain this schedule 10/12 months a year.

I know Janetha is desperately trying to become a morning workout person (and maybe you are too!) so I have some morning motivation tips that work for me:

1. Figure out how much sleep you need – I always thought I should get 8 hours a night, but when it really comes down to it, I feel exactly the same with 6 hours under my belt, so that relieves the stress that comes with trying to be in bed at 8:30pm (which would give me a 8 full hours). Instead I make SURE I’m in bed by 10pm, giving me time to read and wind down, and leading to around 6 hours each night.

clip_image002

[source][/source]

2. Lay your clothes out – no one wants to go fumbling in the dark for socks and a sports bra at 4:30am. No one. I put mine on the floor by my bed so I can literally roll out from under the covers and get dressed.

clip_image004

3. Plan your food. Janetha is awesome about all of her balanced meals, but I am not. Sometimes I can eat early in the morning, sometimes I can’t. Sometimes I’m starving after a workout, sometimes the thought of food disgusts me. Regardless, I always have a pre-workout breakfast planned (my favorite is a couple dates and a handful of walnuts or peanut butter) and a post-workout breakfast planned (fruit, eggs, smoothies). That way, if I’m starving – I don’t have to think, and nothing slows me down.

clip_image006

4. When your alarm goes off, just get up. It’s not going to be ANY easier to press snooze and get up in 10 minutes. Let’s be honest, 10 minutes of sleep is NOTHING, so just get up the first time. Even if you just fall out of bed to sit on the floor and put clothes on. (*see step two*). Just do it.

clip_image008

This is my cat Bagheera – he’s the laziest creature on the planet. Don’t take motivational tips from him.

5. Don’t be afraid of the dark! Some of my favorite workouts are running while the sun comes up. If you live in a neighborhood that’s sketchy, and you are worried about the dark, wear a headlamp (the kind that spelunkers wear), carry a cell phone, get a ROAD ID, or go to a gym if it is truly a concern. I also run with my big scary German shepherd (Punky) and she protects me from anyone who might cross our path. Also, if you have a blog – don’t tell blogworld about your planned morning workout. That’s just common sense, folks. If it’s really cold – I do strength training via DVD (love Jillian Michaels) or weights in my garage gym.

clip_image010

My dog Punky and I after a rainy run.

6. Trick yourself. Yes, I trick myself all the time. For instance, when the alarm goes off I think: Just get up and put your workout clothes on…you don’t REALLY have to work out. Once I’m up, I tell myself: Just go for a walk, no need to push it – it’s early. Then once I’m out the door and moving…running is easy, just go for it. The hard part truly is getting up and moving.

7. Think about how AWESOME you will feel ALL DAY after having accomplished your goal and breaking a good sweat. And you can come straight home after work/school and crash. At least that’s what I do.

clip_image012

I did it!!

Now, if you have any tips on how to squeeze in that exercise after a long grueling day – I’m all ears! I can’t fathom mustering up the energy to exercise at the end of the day – but you have to do what works for you!

1. What is your favorite time of day to exercise? Mine, obviously, is early morning.

2. How much sleep do YOU need/get a night? I’ve never been much of a sleeper, so 6 hours works for me.

Tyler the Designer July 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Hi Katie!

I find the best time to workout is at my lunch break during work. I know this can’t work for everyone, but a little basketball and then some weights during the lunch break is a great way to breakup my day at work. Sometimes I don’t have time to shower after though, but where I work no one seems to care.

As far as sleep goes, I can never go to sleep before midnight, even if I try. I would like to get 8 hours every night, but usually end up between 6-7…. :

TheKetchupDiaries July 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Love the tips!

julie July 21, 2010 at 4:37 pm

haha! great minds think alike :) i wrote my guest post for janeth on the same thing!

love your tips :)

suzanne July 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I usually work the afternoon shift so i try to get my workout in before noon :)

Chasing the Now July 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I use so many of these tips already, but they really are easy to implement and it doesn’t take too long before they become a habit.

Faith July 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Heya Katie!

I really wish I could get into the early AM workouts – they leave me feeling so refreshed! It’s just so hard with my schedule and my deep love for sleep!

Ashley July 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I use all of those tips to get myself up early to run. They really do work!!!

fitnessandsunshine July 21, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I get 6-8 h of sleep a night and also like to work out in the morning. :) My sleeping patterns are quite off lately so morning workouts have been hard (I skipped today) but am planning to get back on track tomorrow.

This post had great tips, thanks so much! :)

lisaou11 July 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I need the just to do it tip. seriously. thats where I fail.

Patricia Braithwaite July 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I have to be to work too early to work out in the morning. I have to work out after work. It does get hard because I am usually really tired, but I try to just do it right when I get home.

Nicole C July 21, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Nice, another inspirational person! Morning workout? Those exist?! 4:30AM? Kidding, I used to go to the gym at 5:30 but now I wonder how in the world I did that. So kuddos to you for being able, I just have no strength in the morning.

I would LOVE to take my dogs on a walk. My little one, Roxy gets tired with her mini little legs. My big guy, Kronus, is a mastiff and not so friendly in the open public and would more than likely tear an arm off trying to chase another dog/person/car/cricket..he’s huge. Glad you have a pup to protect you. I should reconsider the morning workout but having to be at work at 7 is no fun.

inmytummy July 22, 2010 at 5:15 am

I like to workout either on my lunch break or right after work. I’ve tried the morning thing and it’s just not for me.

I absolutely need 8 hours of sleep to be happy. I prefer to get 9 but that rarely happens.

Graze With Me July 22, 2010 at 8:12 am

Great post Katie!

I like to work out at night, around 8-8:30 is best for me. As long as I eat dinner by 7 I’m good to go. I get up at 4:45 am to get to work and I can’t even fathom getting up earlier than that!

I like to get about 8 hours but I’m ok on 6.5 or 7.

Angharad July 22, 2010 at 8:24 am

Hi Katie! Great post. I am so not a morning person. Occasionally I can do this but it takes a lot. I so wish I was a morning lady. Sigh. Figuring out how much sleep I need is KEY for me if I do this.
As for working out in the evenings/after work, it goes like this: drive straight from work to the Y and go to a class that starts pretty much as soon as I get there. Done by 6.30 and still home in a reasonable time for dinner! Or if I’m going running I do not let myself dither: get home, get changed, GO.
My fave time to work out though is mid-morning (sigh) so that I can wake up leisurely, drink coffee, eat a decent brekkie, digest and go. That’s why weekend’s rule.

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils July 22, 2010 at 11:29 am

These are some really great tips that I haven’t seen before. You are really encouraging. But sometimes, I think I need nine hours of sleep …

caronae July 22, 2010 at 11:44 am

I try so hard to be a morning workout person…it really is the best thing for summer. A Sometimes I make it, sometimes no. I LOVE coming home after work and being LAZY. :)

ankara nakliyat July 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm

tank you. siteniz gayet güzel ve başarılı olmuş. ellerinize sağlık

melissadishes July 23, 2010 at 7:36 am

I prefer mornings, my best workouts are usually on the weekends, because I am less rushed.
I do a mix of times, for my schedule and for training purposes.

I need 8 hours usually. I get grouchy if I get too tired or too hungry