guest post! mary t.

by Janetha on July 20, 2010

in meals

Hi Meal & Moves readers!

I’m Mary from A Merry Life.

I can’t believe I’m guest posting here because I absolutely love Janetha’s blog! She is the person that actually motivated me to start my own healthy food blog where I document all my meals in addition to writing my weight loss blog where I write about my process and struggles losing 100 pounds (I’m close to halfway done!). I’m so excited to be posting here now while she is off getting married and enjoying her honeymoon. :)

I know most posts here are about the meals and moves on a certain day, but I wanted to talk about trying new things. You see, when I was younger I was a super picky eater. I hated all vegetables, most fruits, and you would rarely find anything on my plate that wasn’t fried and then covered in ketchup. While I still love some good chicken nuggets and I’ll never stop loving ketchup, I’ve learned to love a lot of new things in the past few years.

Six years ago I decided to start losing weight and getting healthy (it’s been a long process for me). I forced myself to eat salads and vegetables in the college cafeteria even though I thought they might make me sick to my stomach. I pushed past the mental barriers and kept eating salads and other healthy foods I was familiar with.  I stuck to a very small range of healthy foods because that’s all I knew enough to be comfortable eating. It was better than my previous picky eater approved processed junk food diet, but it still wasn’t quite that exciting.

DSC_0018

In the last year I started trying even more new things. Once I stepped out of my limited "healthy eating" box I realized there was a whole world full of clean healthy food that I was missing out on. Reading food blogs like Janetha’s helped me understand that eating healthy real food could be both fun and delicious (even more so than eating sugary junk!). They opened my eyes to new ideas and a new way of eating that I’ve enjoyed trying on for myself.

DSC_0312

After reading food blogs for a while I started trying new foods based on the recommendations of healthy food bloggers. I’ve tried a lot of new things since then.  Since I used to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with chips for every lunch as a kid… almost everything was new to me. My meals were suddenly filled with things like almond butter, greek yogurt, egg whites, tofu, sprouts, edamame, green smoothies, and all sorts of new to me fruits and veggies. Who knew that the girl who once hated most vegetables would eventually learn to love them?

DSC_0318   DSC_0292

Lately I’ve been trying not only new food items but completely new cuisines. I’ve tried out Indian, Afghan, Ethiopian, Burmese, Peruvian and more while I’ve been traveling this month.

DSC_0217

Surprisingly, I loved all of it. I realized that trying out what other food bloggers loved was a way to push myself past my picky eater comfort zone and still be relatively safe with my taste buds. Now that I’ve been introduced to all these things I can’t wait to make healthy versions at home to eat on a regular basis. My culinary world has rapidly expanded thanks to all I’ve learned and tried in the past year thanks to reading food blogs and trying new things. And the best part is I still have new things to try!

1. Were you a picky eater as a child (or adult)?

2. What new things have you tried lately?

Nicole C July 20, 2010 at 9:13 am

I can 100% relate to this blog, yay! I still to this day HATE veggies. I cannot stomach them but reading that you just had to push through leaves me hope that one day I can do the same. I have been adding spinach to my protein shakes in the morning so that is a huge green food jump for the girl that wouldn’t even touch it before.

Good luck with the rest of your goals, it looks like you are on the right track.

lisaou11 July 20, 2010 at 9:29 am

Love Mary’s blog! So happy she did a guest post!

I was VERY picky—the only veggie I would eat was corn–and thats not even a serious veggie! I like them much more now!

fittingbackin July 20, 2010 at 9:37 am

Great guest post!! I was a very picky eater as a child – now I almost scare myself with how “out there” i’m getting (for me mind you – i’m still pretty generic to most i’m sure!) I’ve tried lots of new things since beginning blogging – quinoa (loved), shiraki noodles (hated), butternut squash (loved), manicotti (loved), mediterranean food and Indian food (double love) – lots of new stuff!

emily July 20, 2010 at 9:53 am

Janetha’s blog encouraged me to step outside my culinary comfort zone. Last month i cooked and ate fish for the first time in 15 years! (my parents would be gasping right now if they read this) Now I realize that all of my childhood ‘reasons’ for abstaining from certain foods were just silly excuses.
I see every day as an opportunity to experience new things – especially when I’m traveling.

Anne July 20, 2010 at 10:05 am

This is such a great, positive story! You are right, healthy eating is a world of gorgeous, delicious food…congrats on starting up two blogs and documenting a difficult journey :-)

Carla July 20, 2010 at 10:19 am

I wouldn’t call myself a picky eater…but I know that I had decided that I hadn’t like several different foods as a child and never bothered to try them again as an adult (i.e. cottage cheese, beets, okra, peas, etc.) Now that I have started eating healthier, I have found that I need to open my mind to all of the wonderful foods that are out there! Thanks for sharing your story:)

Ed July 20, 2010 at 11:58 am

Hey Mary! Great guest post! As far as picky eating goes, I always try everything once! Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don’t. Meh. :)

Mary (A Merry Life) July 21, 2010 at 6:19 am

Thank you so much for letting me guest post! I’m traveling so I’m just getting to check the comments. ;)

@Nicole C – You most definitely can learn to like veggies. Believe me, I never thought I would, but I went from veggie hater to lover over the course of a few years after just slowly working things in. Spinach in smoothies is a good step!

@lisaou11 – Thank you! That means a lot to me! And I hear you on the corn…. it’s all I would eat as a kid. But it’s a starch! Ha!

@fittingbackin – Trying new stuff is really fun!

@emily – I feel the same way. All the reasons were excuses and I’ve knocked them all down and opened up a whole new world and way of eating. It’s pretty cool.

@Anne – Thanks! Blogging has really helped me on my journey so far. ;)

@Carla – It’s all about opening our minds, right? I made a rule that I would retry everything at least once that I wouldn’t eat before and then decide if I liked it. Some things I didn’t like still, but most were wonderful.

@Ed – That’s my new philosophy!

melissadishes July 23, 2010 at 7:39 am

I’m not picky, but I have become a total food snob ;-)

I tried Santa Claus melon. I had actually bought one at Sprouts having no idea what it was and then read a blog about one the same day. Funny how that happened. Anyhow, it was tasty!

joints June 7, 2013 at 1:49 am

They are healthy. Its nutrients are so helpful in our immune system.