i miss boring.

by Janetha on July 14, 2010

in meals

first and foremost: HAPPY NATIONAL ICE CREAM DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my favorite food ever! go eat some! now!

moving on.

i sat down to type something for you guys, but my mind is in so many places right now that it is hard to concentrate. i hope you understand. however, i did feel the need to check in with you guys so alas, here is a post!

i am not promising it will be anything amazing. if it is amazing posts you are after, you probably should check out this one or that one. yes, i still have been lurking on your blogs, folks.

i am getting freaking married in three days. well, three days and some change. very little change. not even enough change to feed a parking meter for longer than an hour.

i have done a lot of think about life after the wedding. after the honeymoon. after the big event that the past 5 months of my life have revolved around. to be honest, i can’t wait!

i like boring.

i do, i have to admit it, and i have no shame. i like having nothing to do and no obligations and just being able to go to work, go to the gym, cook something new and fun for dinner, hang out with my pups, blog and surf the interwebs while marshall watches TV.

i like that. i miss that.

i haven’t been bored in a long time. i think i forgot what it was like! i promise to never complain about how bored i am. maybe not ever again. but for at least a year. bring on the boredom.

however, i don’t think i will be bored for quite awhile. after the honeymoon is over, we still have to unpack the whole house. and build $3000 worth of IKEA furniture (fun?). and finish the house.. like light switches and outlets and mirrors and decor and rugs and (you get the idea). and then a week later we are heading to arizona for 4 days. we will be back august 8th. maybe then i can be bored. i hope so.

last night was a treat. kristen made me dinner. isn’t that so dang sweet? i have barely eaten anything lately because of the errands, the stress, the anxiety, yadda yadda yadda. it was so nice to eat dinner. like, actually sit down and eat dinner.

spaghetti with vodka sauce+ground turkey, salad, garlic bread.

DSC_0002

i loved this dressing!

DSC_0001

‘shrooms. best part of the dish, hands down.

DSC_0005

delicious. i ate even more garlic bread. i think carb-loading is as necessary before a wedding as it is before a marathon. just saying.

thanks, kristen!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

guess who took work off today to move little old me from my old house to my new house?

this guy:

he’s a keeper! good thing i am marrying him ;)

that’s right, marshall had work today but he decided to forfeit the work he would be paid for and decided to do work for me. and now i don’t have to move.

i. love. him.

while he was hard at work on moving all my junk valuable belongings, i was at the office trying to get everything ready. i hate the prep work that goes into my job in order for me to take a week off. and then when i get home there is TONS of catching up to do! this whole wedding thing better be worth it ;)

while at work, i celebrated waffle wednesday! a wednesday without waffles is like a dog without his bone. a cowboy without his horse. a blogger without her camera.

luckily, i had my camera. behold, the wafflewich: IMG_8782 two nature’s path flax toaster waffles with 3 (nuked) egg whites.

IMG_8791 drizzled with the nectar of the sugar free gods:

IMG_8778IMG_8787

and eaten alongside an iced black coffee, compliments of that one guy. that one that is amazing and moved me today (sorry, i will try to stop being such a sap.)

i did find time for lunch today. don’t ask me how, because i am still pretty surprised myself.

veggies+cottage cheese+grilled chicken+ketchup IMG_8806

eaten out of tupperware, because i am classy like that.

at my desk, because i am a busy gal.

after work i had to pack up my kitchen and the clothes in my closet. those are the things i told marshall to leave to me.

i thought i’d done an OK job at clearing out my pantry. um. not so much:

oh well.. at least i have a lot of food to get us started in the new place!

goodbye room:

goodbye mirror:

momma b helped me pack up all the last little bits and then it was off to the new house to unload!

i thought i would share a few renovation progress photos with you. it is almost done!!

kitchen is in the process of getting concrete countertops. they’ve been poured, but not painted:

IMG_8852 IMG_8856 IMG_8857 IMG_8859

the fireplace was being worked on while i was there. it will match the tile:

IMG_8861IMG_8851

tile baseboards are done! just need to clean up the residue.IMG_8862 IMG_8863

tile is grouted:

carpet has been laid, do you like it?

IMG_8827 IMG_8829

bathroom #1 is coming right along, still need to paint the walls, get faucets & light fixtures: IMG_8833 IMG_8834

my brother does amazing tile work!

bathroom #2 (master bathroom) is also coming along nicely! IMG_8838

a family friend custom built this knotty alder vanity base.. it is gorgeous! IMG_8840 IMG_8842

and the welcome mat is securely in place!

after unloading all of the stuff, i headed up to marshall’s to make dinner.

on the menu? spaghetti again. this time it was with tofu instead of ground turkey. i love spaghetti and so does marshall so we can always eat it twice in a row.

i diced the tofu along with a red onion and a red pepper and sauteed it all with some italian seasonings.

once the three items had cooked through, i added a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, a can of no salt added tomato sauce and half a bottle of classico 4 cheese marinara.

i cooked whole wheat thin spaghetti noodles and steamed some broccoli.

IMG_8882 IMG_8884

time to eat!

ever since i got my tofu press from tofuXpress, i have been addicted to tofu!

while i was cooking dinner, i saw penelope come bounding through the house with something large in her mouth.  i did a double take and realized she’d gotten a hold of a sweet potato!

ahahah!!!! like mother like daughter, aye?!

it was way too cute to not take a plethora of photos.

IMG_8896IMG_8905

IMG_8893 IMG_8909

“penny, you are weird.”

“get the hell away from my potato, randy!” IMG_8915IMG_8921

“i don’t even like potatoes.”

love them.

and now i am spent. i can’t believe tonight was the last free night i had before the wedding.

tomorrow is minus the bear, friday is the rehearsal dinner and saturday is the BIG DAY! eep.

love you all!

Qs~ (3 because i’ve missed you guys)

1. what is your favorite kind of ice cream? real vanilla bean. we are even having it at the wedding!

2. do you like mellow, boring, routines or do you like to always be on the go, go, go? the older i get, the more i like boring ;)

3. what is your favorite protein to add to spaghetti? tofu may be a new favorite for me!

xo. janetha b.<—not for long!

p.s. haven’t worked out in over a week!

Foodie McBody July 15, 2010 at 7:42 am

What an exciting time!!!!!!! Enjoy every minute.
I LOVE the dog-n-potato pics.
And: you are giving me great ideas for food. Wafflewich!! I just started foodblogging 10 days ago and it is pretty amazing. http://bit.ly/cOyCcp

Erika July 15, 2010 at 7:50 am

Mmmmmmmm…ice cream! :-)
My favorite flavor is PB Vanilla Swirl, but I love any flavor of the “Creations” at Coldstone Creamery. (My fav ice cream shop!)

Congrats on the (future) wedding and the house! It looks beautiful so far! :-)

GetHealthyWithHeather July 15, 2010 at 8:21 am

Boring is nice, it gives me more time to spend with my hubby! I’m trying my tofu xpress tonight… Hope I like it!

freckledfoodie July 15, 2010 at 8:36 am

I know what you mean! I never realized how great it was to come home after work, hitting the gym, and coming home to relax the rest of the night…now it’s work, gym, class, shower, dinner, sleep, repeat :)

Penny is so cute! Dogs seriously know what’s good! They’re obsessed with pb, too!

1. i love sf vanilla ice cream, too! it reminds me of frosting, if it’s any good. i also love coconut ice cream!

2. boring, for sure!

3. i like to add kidney beans to my spaghetti! either that or ff cottage cheese. it melts all into the marinara sauce and becomes stringy and delicious! :)

Taysa July 15, 2010 at 8:42 am

Janetha, I am thinking of you this week! Everything is so EXCITING right now–enjoy it! Because it will definately be boring soon enough. :)

The tile in your house looks so so beautiful!

Taysa July 15, 2010 at 8:44 am

I always forget my answers!
1) blackberry
2) truly, I like busy. I’ve had 2 to 3 jobs for the last five years, and I don’t think I’d want it another way. Not having anything to do depresses me.
3) Does cheese count. :)

Annie July 15, 2010 at 9:01 am

I just moved and would give anything for boring! Free time has been spent unpacking, cleaning, painting, hanging pictures, waiting for electricians and running errands. I just want to watch tv and read for a night!

PS: the house looks amazing!

Michelle July 15, 2010 at 9:05 am

Been thinking about you a lot this week too as your BIG DAY draws near …

Gotta love that man of yours — definitely a keeper!

Love the pics of your home coming a long nicely … alder vanity is wonderful!

And mmmm, ice cream is my very fave too! I would choose coffee, fresh banana, vanilla bean. If I had to choose a weird flavor, it would be Honey Lavender from a ma and pa shop in Santa Cruz. I am still thinking about the taste it was that delish!

xo

april July 15, 2010 at 9:09 am

I like boring too! It seems like I’ve been much busier lately.. not sure how I feel about it!

plamarie July 15, 2010 at 9:12 am

Oh. I love cement counter tops! Can’t wait to see the progress. Thanks for the darling doggie and potato shots!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary July 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

Fav icecream = cake batter

I am a boring old married woman and I like it that way. I haaaaaaaaaaate when my routine gets messed up. Usually I can roll with the punches, but I love boring… what can I say ;P

My favorite protein to add to spag has to be ground turkey, but I think I may have to give tofu a whirl now! Looks good.

Will be thinking about you this weekend!!!! :D :D :D

Tina July 15, 2010 at 9:52 am

I love a good mix. I have to have boring times, but I like having things to keep me occupied as well. My weekends are perfect when I have one busy day and one do nothing day.

I hope all the stress eases soon. Renovations can be so frustrating. Everything looks great though!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) July 15, 2010 at 9:53 am

Things will get back to normal! Enjoy it all! :)

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) July 15, 2010 at 10:10 am

Best wishes for the wedding!! Can’t wait to read about it!

julie July 15, 2010 at 10:34 am

why i love you? because you manage to STILL celebrate waffle wednesday AND photograph it in the midst of the craziest time of your life.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) July 15, 2010 at 11:30 am

hahaha OMG the dogs and the sweet potato that is TOO cute!! i am a very routine person…UI like schedules and knowing what I am doign and what time I am doing it…so I do get into a routine, when i am thrown off I can get anxious and nervous, but i have gotton a whole lot better at it!!!

i cant believe you are freakin getting married and I am so excited for you two! marshall is going to be the BEST hubby!!! that is so sweet of him to take the day off and help you pack! hes a keeper for sure!

Oh and i eat out of tupperware sometimes in my own house…don’t judge :)

I am not a huge pasta person, but if I had to say then def chicken breast! i love mediterean style with feta, chicken, artichoke hearts and roasted red’s!!

LOVE YOU!!!

katecooks July 15, 2010 at 11:50 am

i am so excited for you! i know, boring is great but ahh, the next few days will be so worth it! i have to vote for breyers chocolate chip mint (the white, not green, kind) as my all time favorite. for old time’s sake. now though, i have a hard time saying no to PB or chocolate flavored ANYTHING!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices July 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Janetha, i just love you!
You’re story with the dogs (you are weird penny , etc) was hilarious. Short, sweet, & funny :D
Marshall is one lucky guy! You two are PERFECT together.
LOVE LOVE LOVE your house- it looks FANTASTIC! The color in the living room (I think) is beautiful. And, all of the bathroom/ tile work- WOW O WOW- such hard work, & it’s totally paid off. I think the price of your house must have like quadrupled by now, right??
SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

homecookedem July 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm

We have the same Wipe Your Paws welcome mat! ;) Your house is coming along so nicely!!

My favorite kind of ice cream is cookie dough!!!!! :)

bananasforbananas July 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Omg penny with the sweet potato is too freakin cute!!! I die lol And don’t worry about working out, your wedding is once in a lifetime and you deserve to enjoy this time!

melissadishes July 15, 2010 at 2:02 pm

1. Amy’s Ice Cream-Mexican Vanilla. SO good. Nothing like regular vanilla

2. the older i get, the more i like boring ;) (I TOTALLY agree!)

3. I am still a little afraid of tofu, i’ll order it out but I am scared to use it at home. I like beef or turkey best with spaghetti

Love the pic of Penny with the potato, that is way too funny!

Angharad July 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I think you are absolutely incredible for blogging three days before your wedding day! I can’t even manage to blog when I have a busy week at work!
1) coffee. or vanilla. I can’t decide!!!
2) I get stressed out when I have a lot to do but I always seem to voluntarily add more to my plate so I must thrive under the pressure! Right now I am longing for several days of nothing :)

EEEEEE. Good luck for Saturday!! xx

TheKetchupDiaries July 15, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Married in 3 days = AMAZING. So excited for you!!!

Sarah July 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm

oh my goodness i can’t believe you are getting married the day after tomorrow!!! i can’t imagine how excited you must be!

oh and i’m totally on your side about the boring thing. totally get it. :) boring is the new busy.

ari July 15, 2010 at 5:48 pm

i cannot WAIT to read your wedding recap!!!
congratulations lovely!

Julia July 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I’m in love with your new house! Those cement countertops are amazing! You’ll have to tell more about those sometime!
I can’t believe you get married in two days! Yay!

BroccoliHut July 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm

So I’ve been thinking about trying SF maple syrup lately. What’s the sweetener used in Log Cabin?
I have that same welcome mat!
Chickpeas are amazing with pasta!

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) July 16, 2010 at 2:47 am

Boring is wonderful. I traded a way too crazy life in LA for a way too boring life in Africa, and while I am really excited to return to the States and have more balance, I am SO happy that I will for the rest of my life recognize the beauty and IMPORTANCE of being able to sit around and do nothing and be completely satisfied with it.

karrieanne5 July 16, 2010 at 8:12 am

The tiling looks incredible! What a clever brother you have :) I laughed so hard when I saw the photos of penny and her sweet potato. At least you haven’t got a fussy eater on your hands ;)
1. Cappuccino flavoured ice cream rocks my world. The one I get has coffee and vanilla mixed together with chocolate sauce and coffee beans on top. It’s pretty great.
2.I like routine! It’s good to relax and be more spontaneous though, that way you never have any regrets about things or experience you could have missed out on.
3.I’m a big fan of Quorn products when it comes to protein.

Good luck for the next few days, I’m so excited for the two of you!

Laura @ Starloz July 16, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I have to admit when it comes to a home, I’m more about clean line, white & semi clinical but I’m in love with your shower, it’s stunning.

Thanks for posting when your so buy.

Ohhhhh, Tofu has become one of my favorite foods. Yummy, seriously best meal ever!

I’m a mint chocolate chip ice-cream girl.

Brynne July 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm

One of my best friends always cooks me spaghetti with tomato sauce and ground turkey. Tastes even better because she makes it for me :)

fitness2function July 18, 2010 at 12:11 pm

OMG I was ROLLING at the dog pics. Especially the one where Penny is giving Randy the stick eye and has a piece of sweet potatoe on her nose LOL

Lauren August 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm

So Janetha, I don’t know if I’ve commented before? Maybe randomly? But I wanted to say a few things: 1.congratulations on your wonderful marriage!!! 2. Your house is beautiful! 3. I love your dogs and thought your comments about the sweet potato were so hilarious. I showed my husband and we were both cracking up-especially the comment Randy “made” about not even liking potatoes. So funny. Do more! ;) I can tell how much you are enjoying married life and am so happy for you!