a day in the life: kristen b.

by Janetha on July 8, 2010

in meals

today’s guest poster really needs no introduction around these parts because she’s on the blog all the time! but, because i love her more than life itself, i will introduce her to you guys.

kristen!  my bestest friend. kristen is the ONLY person from grade school that i still see on a regular basis. we have been friends since we were 12, making that 15 years. wooooah that makes me feel old! i am sure you recall our many adventures together, including running the SLC 5k and camping in goblin valley.

anyway, i really was excited when kristen sent me her “day in the life” post.. she really has a knack for this whole blogging thing and it makes me wish she had a blog of her own so i could read about her days all the time. i really enjoyed this! hope you do too :)

***********************************************************************************

Hey Hey Hey!! What’s up Janetha’s blog readers. I’m Kristen Black. I’m Janetha’s friend of 15 years (since 7th grade!) and her Maid of Honor for the upcoming big day! I was excited to do a “day in the life” post for my bestie and made sure it was a day that would make me seem somewhat interesting. So here goes…

I’m just finishing up my Doctorate degree in Physical Therapy. I’m in the last month of my 9th year of college. Yeah. Nine years people. I don’t know if that makes me sound smart or slow, because technically it could have taken 7. Oh well. Who’s counting?? Anyways, I’ve been doing clinical rotations for the past year and this “day in the life” was my last day of my last rotation EVER! No more free labor!! Whoo!

So my days always start off rushed, because I am NOT a morning person. I can stay up all night but CANNOT wake up early (hence, why I did not participate in Janetha’s morning wake up challenge). Due to my tardiness, I always eat breakfast in my car on my way to school/work every morning. And I just want to say… everyone and their dog has lectured me about it, but I’m better at driving with a bowl of cereal in the my hand than most people are at 10 and 2. I’ve done it for years and I’m not stopping now! Anyways… It used to be a bowel of cereal everyday. But now that I’ve been eating better, it’s changed a bit.

Today it was oatmeal with tons of cinnamon and one pack of Splenda AND for protein…

I washed it down with one of these delicious muscle milk protein shakes. The stats: 160 calories, 5g fat, 9g of carbs, 20g of protein. They taste like chocolate milk!! No protein chalkiness here folks! I buy them in a big box at Costco. I drink them at breakfast, post workout, etc. Pretty much when I need some added protein on the go!

Then it was a stop at the best coffee shop in Salt Lake City

Java Jo’s Drive Thru Coffee in the Avenues! The best! I always get a sugar free vanilla soy latte.

Then off to my clinical at LDS Hospital Outpatient Neuro Rehab. My passion in physical therapy is Neuro rehab. I love the challenge of the neurological diagnoses and love that I get to make great relationships with my patients. Here are some pics with them!

DSC_0529

DSC_0537

They make it worth it to get up and go to work. I love my profession and I’m excited to almost be done with school!!

Lunchtime came, and it was on my clinical instructors because it was my last day! They chose Thai Food from Sawadee in Salt Lake City and we walked to a nearby park to eat.

DSC_0549

It was such a beautiful day!

DSC_0540

I had the lunch special with Red chicken Curry and Barbecued Chicken. Soooooo good, but way too much food. I ate less than half of this and wanted a nap after! But then it was back to work to treat more patients and also to do my final grad review. F.Y.I I got at least “Entry Level” in all categories, which means I’m ready to practice as a Physical Therapist! Go Me!!

I got off work a little early and fit in some study time on my front porch because I wanted to continue enjoying the beautiful afternoon. Rory, the boyfriend, snapped a picture of me and said, “it’s for the blog!” Cause I honestly hate getting my picture taken.

clip_image002

I’m currently studying to take my National Board Exam, which is what I will be doing everyday for the next 3 weeks when I’m not doing stuff for Janetha’s Wedding.

I decided to then hit up the gym for some more focused study time. I read my study guide while I ride the bike.

FUN FACT FOR THE DAY!!- Depending on what type of learner you are, the way in which you study can help you retain more information. For example, I’m more of a kinesthetic learner. Meaning, I learn better hands on and trying things. So, I learned that if I do something active like ride a bike while I study, then I comprehend and take it in more. If you are more of an independent learner, than the quiet isolated room is better for you. If you learn better by observation/demonstration, then having someone read to you will work! Trust me and try it!!

So lately my workouts have not been very focused on upper/lower body or cardio because my focus needs to be studying right now. They will get back on track in August.

For Dinner, I was honestly exhausted. I hate cooking or preparing food on a day when I am full of energy, so the last thing I was gonna do was make some food. I often invite Janetha and Marshall over and say “we could BBQ or make dinner”. Which is then followed by the comment, “And by WE I mean YOU Janetha”. She loves cooking, I don’t. It works out.

Rory talked me into agreeing with what he calls “healthy pizza” because of the wheat crust. It was my last day of clinical and there was somewhat some celebration in order, so we ordered a pizza.

clip_image004

I got the Veggie pizza with Chicken added on a whole wheat crust. I’m not gonna lie. It was amazing!!!! I ate two of these slices and was full. Not the healthiest choice, but it was a delicious choice!!

I then cuddled up on the couch and watched some train wreck reality TV because I need mindless entertainment after a lot of studying.

So that was my “day in the life”. I think it was the longest guest post ever. Oh well Deal with it!! J

Thanks Neef for letting me contribute! Love you!!

thank YOU kris for sharing your day with us! i don’t know how you manage to juggle all the things you have in your life right now, i truly admire your ability to “do it all”! i love you!

hope you guys enjoyed the post, check back tomorrow for flashback friday :)

Qs from kristen~

1. What type of learner are you?? Kinesthetic, Independent, Observational??? As I mentioned, I am a hands on kinesthetic learner.
  2. What is your celebratory, maybe not so healthy food of choice??? I love Pizza! I could eat it everyday!!

xo. kristen b. & janetha b.

Kristen B. July 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Oh no. I’ve already noticed grammatical and spelling errors! That drives me crazy! I promise I didn’t used to eat a bowel of cereal, but a BOWL!

homecookedem July 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm

What a pretty friend you have!! I can see why she would be your bestie, she seems like so much fun!! :) I just had whole wheat pizza for dinner too… yummmmmmm!! And I am most definitely a kinesthetic learner. I learn best by doing!

mom July 8, 2010 at 5:27 pm

haha yep the spelling nazi on patrol caught the bowel of cereal, I laughed right out loud!! Love you to the moon Kristen – you are one of the very best right next to neef!!

I too invite Janetha over in hopes of her just dying to cook a good meal for us – it really does work out well!

I’m a hands on learner I think, it’s been a long time since I learned something new haha!

Chocolate anything pretty much, oh and enchilada suizas from Red or Blue Iguana, yummmm!

Congrats on graduation and you look wonderful too!! xoxo

Maren July 8, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Wow Kristen you are one talented girl! My sister just recently passed her boards and is now a PT at Creighton here in Omaha, NE, so ur life is very similar to how hers was during school and boards! Good luck, you’ll be so relieved when its over. Janetha is lucky to have u as a best friend!

I’m definitely a hands-on learner!

Mexican food (aka margaritas) is the best celebration food!

ashlan July 8, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Kristen You are beautiful! Way to go on school that is great…I have to be doing something to learn or I go crazy. I could eat Pizza everyday. Have you made pizza on Flat outs they have recipes on their website that are great and healthy.

Angharad July 8, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Girl after my own heart! Thai food and pizza – two of my all time favourites! I think I would also choose pizza if I was picking something. I could probably eat it at every meal…

Congrats on finishing your rotations!

Laura @ Starloz July 8, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Great Kirsten, it seems like you’ve got a lovely (busy) life.

I celebrate with Yum Cha/Dim Sum

Kerry July 9, 2010 at 12:33 am

Kristen should definitely get her own blog!! I’m going to look into those muscle milk light! Great stats! x

Maura @ theMOHdiaries July 9, 2010 at 4:49 am

Loved the guest post! You certainly juggle a lot Kristen and I admire you for that. I’ll be entering med school (soon-ish, whenever I get around to it lol) and I can only imagine what its like to juggle so many things. Oh well, guess I better get used to it! TGIF, people! :)

Talia July 9, 2010 at 4:51 am

Ohhh, I love Muscle Milk! Hubby and I buy the big box of them at Costco, too, and you are right- they DO taste so so good!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) July 9, 2010 at 6:07 am

i am SO a hands on learner…majoring in exercise sceience, we had to know all of the muscles and bones of the body and to be honest, the dissections were what helped me the most! it was gross, but when you got past the fact it was a dead animal, SEEING the muscles and bones really made it stick for me!

celebratory meal?!?! that would be ICE CREAM or KEY LIME PIE!

Jessica July 9, 2010 at 7:10 am

I am a hands on learner for sure. When I am celebrating with food it is a toss up between Pizza and Southwest – both are awesome!

Physical Therapy has always seemed like it would be such a cool job, and so rewarding. All of the school is kinda scary though…yikes.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 9, 2010 at 7:28 am

I am definitely a kinesthetic learner.

And I am with you on the pizza! LOVE it! Also love sushi :D

xo
Kris

Mel July 9, 2010 at 8:02 am

1) I’m a total observational learner

2) celebratory food-Mexican. My favorite restaurant in San Antonio is Mexican. I’ve been there after 2 marathons and for many other non-fitness related special occasions

freckledfoodie July 9, 2010 at 8:05 am

Kristen! I’m not sure why you don’t like your picture taken! That first one especially is GORGEOUS. Are you kidding me? haha. I love Muscle Milk Light, too!

I’m definitely a hands on learner, too.

My celebratory food is fro-yo, for sure. <3

Happy Friday!

Valerie July 9, 2010 at 8:43 am

1. I’m an observational learner, definitely!

2. I’d have to say any kind of Mexican food. I heart chips, salsa and guacamole like no other.

Foodie McBody July 9, 2010 at 9:07 am

Kristen! Congrats on your DPT! I got my BS in PT about a thousand years ago and I keep contemplating going back to get a Doctorate. Good for you!!!!!!! I love neuro rehab as well but am not practicing right now. LOVE your guest post and seeing all that great food, AND your work. :-)

Foodie McBody July 9, 2010 at 9:08 am

Oh, and PS. I ALSO love pizza. I just started a brand-new food blog thanks to A Merry Life. Come visit, Kristen and Janetha! http://www.foodiesfood.wordpress.com

and http://www.foodfoodbodybody.wordpress.com

Gina G July 9, 2010 at 11:28 am

Hey Janetha! i’m very sorry, but I believe this is my first time commenting! I wanted to finally introduce myself because I love your blog! I’m just an 18 year old who lives in Michigan and
I would forsurely describe myself as a hands on kinesthetic learner (i was actually studying on the treadmill for my summer class this morning haha). I love kickboxing, being active, and surrounding myself with people i love (just like everyone i’m sure hah). Your bestfriend seems just as wonderful as you :) I’m soooo happy for you and fiance, Congrats girl! :)

emily July 9, 2010 at 11:44 am

hat tamale! I had NO idea that costco now carries muscle milk light. Thanks for the tip :D
My celebratory delight is cocoa fudge from Dairy Queen. COCOA. try it. No need to order ice cream when you can have the fudge. SOooOOoO Tasty!!!

Jessiker July 9, 2010 at 11:49 am

Love it girl! I won’t judge you eating cereal in your car. But please just make it a bowl, not a bowel, that doesn’t sound healthy! Just as long as you eat breakfast that’s all that matters.

Congratulations on finishing your school! You are such a sweetie that your patients will form a bond with you for life and never forget your influence into their progression. I know that whenever I see you I feel better, so you’re already doing a good job ;)

Faith July 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I’m totally a hands-on learner too! Lectures can go in one ear and right out the other but when I get down to it and start DOing, I do great!

I LOVE a good pizza, but I feel like my celebratory dish is a killah pasta. I guess those taste buds come from my Italian family!