the story so far.

by Janetha on July 4, 2010

in meals

happy independence day!!!!

i hope you are all enjoying your holiday weekend. i know i am! i thought i would check in and let you all know what i’ve been up to so i don’t end up with a marathon post come monday ;)

first and foremost, before anything else, i have to ask a favor of you guys! i know everyone voted for my photo the other day, but it turns out that the votes are reset at the beginning of each month! dangit! 300 votes, vanished into thin air with the change of the month :( SO, if you can please take a minute.. vote for my photo by clicking here! i’d be ever so grateful :)

moving on!

friday night.

we went to the REAL soccer game (or football, depending on what country you live in, but i live in the USA so i say soccer.)

when we go to the games, we stand right behind the goal where all the rowdy fans are. it is a good time!

IMG_7090  IMG_7135

is it just me or are all soccer players ridiculously attractive?

we won, 5 – 0! happy fans.

there were fireworks after the game! IMG_7144

saturday.

saturday morning i had some toast+mighty maple peanut butter and half of a lemon coconut simply bar. i kind of forgot this was a food blog and took no photos ;)

saturday afternoon we all met at the base of holbrook canyon.  momma b was about to fly away with all the balloons!

in case you missed it, saturday marked 1 year since my brother & sister in law lost their  baby (at 8 months pregnant). this was all for him, who we lovingly refer to as “peanut”.

once we were all there, we hiked the short hike to the top of the trail.

IMG_7156IMG_7162  IMG_7171 IMG_7184 IMG_7191

top of the mountain..

IMG_7284IMG_7211IMG_7202

the pups came, by the way.  IMG_7203 IMG_7206

thirsty pups. IMG_7217

once we made it to the  top, my brother & SIL named peanut. they named him edward peanut benson.. edward is a family name.

IMG_7219 IMG_7224

some sweet words were said and poems were read.

IMG_7271IMG_7235

we all got a balloon and gave it a kiss.

IMG_7250 IMG_7256

and sent it off into the sky, for peanut. IMG_7259 <3

after the hike i was famished and we had to go to costco. so i basically ate every sample there was. cracker with cheese, spinach & chicken meatball, shrimp salad, chicken wrapped in a flat out, sweet potato chips, food should taste good chips and some dried soy beans.

a lunch of costco samples is legit, folks.

i did try something amazing once i got to marshall’s house..

carrot butter!IMG_7294

if you live in utah, you’ve gotta try this. and if you don’t.. you’ve gotta try to make it! IMG_7295

yum.

it is carroty and slightly sweet, very creamy and delicious.

then it was off to ogden for the demolition derby! every time i go to ogden (which is not often) i have to eat at one place and one place only.

the pita pit!

IMG_7306IMG_7308

i always get a grilled chicken on wheat with lots of veggies & hummus. can’t go wrong.

pita pit, come to salt lake city!

the derby was just as white trash as expected. maybe even more so than last years! it was a blast.IMG_7315

everyone thouroughly enjoyed watching cars smash into each other ;)

bets were placed each round. marshall won the bet a few times!IMG_7326 IMG_7332 IMG_7334IMG_7335IMG_7359IMG_7346

ogden may be a little questionable as far as the people go.. but the scenery is just as beautiful as the rest of utah! it was fun to watch the mountainside and sky change as the sun set. IMG_7356 IMG_7369 IMG_7376

isn’t the colorful sky amazing?

we didn’t stay for fireworks. i think we are getting old.

well, that’s the story so far! i am off to the store to grab some baking supplies. i will show you what i end up making next time! we have a BBQ to attend at 4. and then tomorrow is all things house. lots to do! i will take progress photos for you all! it is coming right along.

enjoy your holiday!

xo. janetha b.

Faith July 4, 2010 at 11:14 am

Oh yum! Pitas sound so good right about now. With a little feta…oh dear. Have a happy 4th!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 4, 2010 at 11:16 am

Happy 4th Janetha! :)

Christin L. July 4, 2010 at 11:22 am

I love the balloon thing. I send a balloon off on the anniversary of my mom passing, so this has a special place in my heart. <3

Run Sarah July 4, 2010 at 11:23 am

The balloons for peanut is such a sweet idea. I hope you have a great rest of your weekend – I absolutely LOVE this photo of you and Marshall – http://mealsandmoves.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/img_7111.jpg – you need to have it enlarged! Also, voted for your photo!

Sweet Cheeks July 4, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yeeeesss, I want so badly to have a Pita Pita here, too. Lurve.

The sunset photos are absolutely gorgeous. Wow. Happy 4th, girl. xoxo

Graze With Me July 4, 2010 at 11:35 am

Look how ripped your arm looks in that last photo!!! Love the nails too girl. Enjoy your forth. :)

Ali @ Fat to Fit July 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

I lost my twin boys 4 years ago in August, at about the same number of months pregnant. I cried when I read this post. So often people forget, or choose not to talk about it, when something happens before a baby is born. Edward Peanut is an amazing name. My heart goes out to your brother and SIL – it’s not easy. My mom is terminally ill, and my babies’ ashes will be buried with my mom when she passes away, and we’ll do a memorial for them at the same time.

What a beautiful post.

Angharad July 4, 2010 at 11:46 am

Love that you celebrated peanut like that – so sweet.
And yes, you are correct about soccer players, they are all awesome-hot. Yum.
Another yum? Carrot pate. That sounds awesome. I will try it!!

Happy 4th!

Lisa July 4, 2010 at 11:47 am

Ugh, that Balloon memorial actually made me cry(Anything to do with baby’s makes me cry)(I think I need to become a Mother)
Its so tough when such a loved baby doesnt make it and yet, so many other neglect their Children. Sad, But, I’m sure God has a reason.
I’m so glad you guys remember Baby “Peanut” and support your loved ones….

Sara July 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Looks like so much fun!!! Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself- I just started a blog but have been following yours forrrrevvva! Love it/ love you girl!

Happy 4th!! :)

lindsay July 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm

what a memorable moment with your family. So precious! and then the demolition derby…..wow, never been to one. Was it loud? Overall, you look happy and healthy! Love it. Happy 4th!

Katie July 4, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Aw, that is such a touching way to remember Peanut! I had tears in my eyes…

Also, the mountains and sunset – incredible!! Happy Fourth, Lady.

actorsdiet July 4, 2010 at 12:29 pm

fun times! carrot butter sounds amazing. happy fourth!

Jenn July 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Very touching.

(Love the pix of randy and penny on the trail)

Voted again.

Happy 4th.

April July 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

What a great way to remember peanut. You’ve got a great family there.

Your dogs are silly :)

I miss going to the derby. I haven’t been in a few years.

You’re not old YET. It won’t be long though ;)

Talia July 4, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Happy Independence Day, Janetha!

I think what ya’ll did for “Peanut” is beautiful. I got a little misty-eyed reading that, in fact. God bless his sweet little soul!

Since I just read your previous entry, I wanted to say CONGRATS on the surprise 4lb weight loss and thanks for reminding us all that “abs are made in the kitchen”. 80% nutrition- you got that right! I also liked learning about “giant sets”.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Talia:)

PS- Oh, and I voted again for your engagement photo! Hope you win! :)

Lauren July 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Happy 4th of July sweet heart! Before I forget to tell you, I definitely voted and you are kicking butt!!! Those other people don’t have a chance! Haha you’re over 70 votes and everyone else has 1 or 2! Okay, but anyways, back to your post, what a great weekend so far. I love that you do sometime special to remember your brother and sister-in-law’s baby. How touching!

THe soccer games and the derby! What a fun weekend!!! Glad you are enjoying it hun.

Take care.

caronae July 4, 2010 at 2:49 pm

That mountain and outdoorsy stuff loooks so beautiful! Makes me miss MI. Sad Caronae. :(

Happy Fourth of July Janetha! It seems like such a Janetha holiday. :)

Katherine: What About Summer? July 4, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Happy 4th! What insane photos! Carrot pate? send some over hereee

Erica July 4, 2010 at 3:44 pm

You guys are such a fun couple! You always are attending cool events. The soccer game looks like a blast! And I’m glad that your family went up together to remember Edward Peanut. Carrot pate? Amazing!! Going to vote for you now <3

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 4, 2010 at 4:27 pm

What a beautiful thing your family did for Peanut! I wish your brother and sister in law good luck with their next pregnancy! Everything happens for a reason, good and bad :)

xo
Kris

Laura @ Starloz July 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I want to move to america. all these healthy restaurants & shops are makin me jealous

Ashley July 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Wow – you are having way to much fun!! Thanks for sharing all the great photos!

And I voted for your picture too :-).

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey July 4, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I voted for your picture. :)

Looks like you guys had a fun 4th; how awesome of you guys to do that for Peanut. <3

I love Pita Pit! We almost always get it when we visit Utah, although we usually get it in Provo, not Ogden. :)

Brynne July 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm

What a beautiful thing to do for little Peanut.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 4, 2010 at 7:42 pm

just voted for you!

and the scenery is amazing!

and all your friends and pics are so heavily tattoooed..you know, i love THAT! I know youre not the hugest tat fan youve told me but i love the art and ink :)

xo

Paije July 4, 2010 at 7:45 pm

100th vote!!

And eating a whole meal at Costco is totally cool in my books! I call it store d’ouevres :)

Glad you’re having a great weekend!! xx

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm

We have 2 pita pits in town and I have never been!! We don’t eat out alot and when we do we aren’t really around them. I must try it sometime though, it looks tasty and healthy!!

BroccoliHut July 4, 2010 at 8:48 pm

So jealous that you got to visit Pita Pit!!

Ed July 4, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Uh…agreed. Soccer players are all crazy good-looking. Seriously.

Kerry July 4, 2010 at 11:51 pm

that sky is good!beautiful!

Tamizn July 5, 2010 at 1:54 am

Looks like a fun weekend, the balloons are such a sweet thing to do. I’m loving your friends tattoos x x

MelissaNibbles July 5, 2010 at 3:04 am

Janetha this post is very touching and the pictures are beautiful. I hope you had a great holiday!

Paityn July 5, 2010 at 3:10 am

There is a Pita pit in Provo! Just FYI in case you make that way sometime :)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous July 5, 2010 at 6:35 am

The balloon release for Peanut.. totally made me tear up..wow- what a beautiful thing you all did.

Soccer (we say football) players, while attractive are huge drama queens… they roll around on the ground for the smallest of tackles.. they should try playing hockey and see how rough that is!

Oh and I voted :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] July 5, 2010 at 9:21 am

sounds like it was a beautiful, memorable day. sending lots of love to your family! <3

StephanieinSuburbia July 5, 2010 at 11:40 am

That was really beautiful. Made me teary. What a wonderful way to celebrate and commemorate.

Melissa July 5, 2010 at 12:21 pm

The memorial looked really sweet. You have a great family!

Hope you had a great 4th of July! (I voted for your picture) :)

Tina July 5, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Looks like you have been having a good weekend! I love that picture of you and Marshall at the derby with the sunset sky in the background. Beautiful.

Also, voted again!

Laura July 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Yes, soccer players are all ridiculously hot! :)

That’s such a sweet thing to do for peanut. What a beautiful idea.

I’ve never been to a demolition derby. Looks like so much fun!

thisgirlgetsit July 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Wow, such an amazing thing for you and your family to do! All of these pics look like you had a wonderful time! I’ve never even heard of carrot butter, but I’m definitely a fan of good ol’ regular carrots, so I’ll have to be on the lookout!

Lori (Finding Radiance) July 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Sounds like you had a great holiday!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices July 6, 2010 at 8:19 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE your sunglasses in the picture of the 2 of you- @ the derby- sooooo cute!!
And that is so special that your family does the balloon release every year for ‘peanut’- such an awesome tradition.

Susan July 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Carrot butter!!! I bet you can make that. Was it cinnamon-y?? Actually, did it taste like carrot baby food?

Beautiful pics in this post :)