healthy frosty (packed with protein!)

by Janetha on July 2, 2010

in meals

to see the original post & comments in entirety, click here.

it has been super hot, so i have been eating my faux protein frosty a lot this week.

i thought i would re-visit the recipe since i haven’t talked about it in months!

faux protein frosty (taste’s just like wendy’s!)
serves one

• 3/4 cup (6 ounces) almond milk (or milk of your choice, i use unsweetened vanilla almond breeze by blue diamond)
  • 15 ice cubes.. maybe more!
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (use your favorite brand–it’s important that you enjoy the flavor. i like MRM whey natural vanilla or plant fusion vanilla bean)
  • 1-2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder (depending on how chocolatey you like it)
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (this is the KEY ingredient)
  • 1/4 tsp guar gum (or use more xanthan if you don’t have guar)
  • sweetener of choice (in this one i used 1/4 of a frozen banana for my sweetener, but i always switch it up. other ideas: stevia packet, a few dates, xylitol, or agave)

• blend, blend, blend.
  • devour.

here are the nutritional stats using the plant fusion protein powder and 1/2 a medium frozen banana:

Protein Frosty Stats

SO good and so good for you!

i kid you not, this tastes identical to a wendy’s frosty. but it’s healthy. and i love it. a lot.

xo. janetha b.

Lisa October 20, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Holy cow this was amazing! I didn’t have vanilla protein powder so I used chocolate. I also added a little walden farms zero calorie chocolate syrup as well. DELICIOUS! Just like a frosty.

Stacey November 20, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I am SO new to doing this kind of stuff, so I have to ask, could I sub in a protein shake/drink instead of the protein powder?

Janetha December 2, 2014 at 11:21 am

you could, but the flavor would be different.. and you would need to reduce the amount of milk!

Nikki Fahey April 8, 2015 at 9:55 pm

what do you use xanthem gum for? I have some but can’t figure it out!

do you have a favorite protein powder?

Janetha April 9, 2015 at 11:16 am

It is a thickening agent! So anything you want to thicken.. add it. But only use a teeny bit! My favorite protein powder at the moment is Plant Fusion vanilla bean. I also like MRM.

Sarah Nisly April 18, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I’m a Trim Healthy Mama and my whole family loves this recipe! We use double it, use 4 tbsp cocoa, sub glucomannan for the gum, and add stevia to taste. Luscious!

Michelle May 19, 2015 at 4:59 pm

I just made this. Best. Treat. Ever. I highly recommend it.

Melissa V. June 30, 2015 at 6:16 am

I’m just wondering where the high sugar content comes from? I stay true low carb, so for me my goal is to stay as low as possible but definitely not go over 20g per day. Unfortunately even after taking out the fiber it still looks to be about 14g net carbs. Can you please tell me where it all comes from? The ingredients don’t seem like it should be that high, unless most of it comes from the banana? I really want to try this but it would be almost an entire days worth of carbs for me :/ Any info you have would be great. Thanks so much :)

Janetha June 30, 2015 at 8:38 am

Yes, it comes from the banana. Naturally occurring sugars are not bad for you!

Ravi May 15, 2016 at 10:34 am

When it comes to low carb diet, a sugar is a sugar (naturally occuring or added in). That’s why low carbers stay away from fruits mostly unless its berries like raspberries/strawberries etc. which are much lower in carbs. We have to add fruit sugars to our daily carb counts, that’s why the question by Melissa V.

Melissa V. June 30, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Thank you so much Janetha! That’s what I figured it was. I do try to stay away somewhat from the fruits and veggies that are higher in sugar and carbs so that I can get in a larger quantity of the lower sugar/carb ones but I do treat myself every now and then. I recently lost 85 lbs and so I’m working hard to maintain, it’s been really easy doing it by staying low carb :) I am definitely going to treat myself to this Frosty though, no guilt :) Thank you again!

Julie January 15, 2016 at 8:28 pm

do you HAVE to use the guar and xanthun gum? Can stevia be used instead?

Ally January 26, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Julie, if you were to skip the gums, it would be a thinner consistency but still good. And she does offer stevia as an option for the sweetener, though you lose significant bulk and flavor if you’re using it to replace a banana! No thickener and no banana is going to be a pretty thin smoothie. A little Greek yogurt might help with that.

Stephanie July 27, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I used 1/4 tsp cornstarch and 11/2 tsp sfff instant chocolate pudding. Worked great!

Lea May 6, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I notice in the comments (answer to one of the questions) that the sugar content comes from the banana. I don’t see banana in the ingredient list though.

casty May 15, 2016 at 11:59 am

If I use erythritol for my sweetner, how much should I use? Thanks

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 1:53 pm

A tablespoon should be adequate.

Glenna June 6, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Best ! Smoothie recipe I have found.
I only had greek yogurt.. so I used it instead of milk
Wow, think and creamy.. just the right sweetness for me
Using 1/4 banana , omitted Stevie
Thank you for sharing this recipe 🐾 💜

hyper tone Force supplements For weight July 10, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Fantastic beat ! I would like tto apprentice while you
amend your site, how could i subscibe for a blog site?
The account helped me a accepyable deal. I had been a little bit
acquainted of this your broadcaszt offered bright clear

Danielle August 11, 2016 at 7:02 am

Found this recipe via Pinterest, I didn’t notice the protein powder or the gum ingredients until I left the store and clicked on the actual website for the measurements. Hoping I can get away with just the banana, almond milk (I bought the unsweetened vanilla) and the cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Would you suggest adding something like yogurt for added protein? I’m trying to do this as a breakfast shake and I have vanilla yogurt.

Janetha August 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Yogurt has protein, but also added carbs. I recommend finding a high quality protein powder to keep on hand.

Susan September 12, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I just made this today and it was very tasty but I was shocked at the sodium content!! Would it work with just guar gum? Seems xanthum gum is too high in sodium for me.

Janetha October 19, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Carol September 22, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Where can I buy xanthan and guar gum?

Janetha October 19, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Susan October 19, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. I use chia seeds in place of both gums.