addict.

by Janetha on June 22, 2010

in meals,moves

i think i am addicted to blogging.

i mean, it is 10:30 PM and i am b-e-a-t from a long day.. but i have some serious issues with needing to ramble about today’s meals & moves.

yep. addicted. and i need my fix.

hey, at least it’s not crack!

got LOTS of good responses about how you find the motivation to work out. answers included, but were not limited to:

• put on your workout clothes
  • think of a yummy post workout snack you will have after the workout
  • lay your clothes out the night before
  • set up your workout equipment so you have to workout.. after all that rearranging!
  • strap  on your heart rate monitor
  • trick yourself into running.. go check the mail, then walk around the block, then start to run
  • imagine yourself up on stage (if you compete)
  • think about your fitness goals and what it takes to achieve them
  • think about how great you feel after a workout

all awesome motivators! thanks for sharing, everyone.

today’s deets, ready, GO!

image_thumb42

i had to watch the front desk this morning so my breakfast backdrop was less than impressive. i still took the photo, florescent lighting and all!

1 003

meal 1: egg whites + oatmeal

1 011

4 egg whites (nuked) topped with heinz ketchup.

1 010

1/3 cup oats (cooked in almond milk) topped with 1 TB mighty maple peanut butter.

1 009

i had to eat the oats in my car because my boss needed a ride to pick up his pick up (hehe) RIGHT then. no time for breakfast janetha, we have to go now. ok, boss, if you say so.

i dropped him off and took my sweet time heading back to work, deciding to stop for an iced black coffee en route to the office.

when i got to my desk, there was a large and in charge hot black coffee waiting for me! marshall is a sweetheart and gets me coffee (most) mornings. i hadn’t talked to him this morning and so i wasn’t sure if i’d be seeing him.. but he got me a coffee anyway. too bad i’d snagged my own! i ended up not drinking the hot one and sucking down the iced one. it’s been hot outside lately. i’m feelin’ the iced beverages more than usual!

1 032

the morning slipped away from me and noon came before i knew it! i had nothing on hand for lunch, so i conned my boss into picking up a sandwich for me. it wasn’t very hard.. he was going to go to taco bell but i told him that a sandwich was a much better option and that was that.

1 018

thanks boss. he even snagged me a bottle of water! he knows me too well.

meal 2: 1/2 turkey on wheat+mustard+avocado+tomatoes+black olives+lettuce+s&p

1 030

for all you locals, this was from a little market called town & country, it is on 27th south and main.. and it is delicious. go there, i dare you. love their sandwiches!

1 025

delightful.

1 031

this afternoon i got to make a fool of myself! our web designers need some content for our web page which means i got to be the model for all the photographs we are putting up on the site. i thought we could just take a photo of the windows but my boss had another idea. heaven forbid we put a photo on the website without a person in the shot.

who’s that goon?

1 033

i wonder if my mug will make people want to buy our windows? hah!

after the photog sesh (which, by the way, was very tedious as my boss does not know how to use a DSLR) guess who stopped by?!

1 044

happy day, momma b paid me a visit! i am so glad she is back from costa rica. she’s the light of my life. she had to swing by to grab some wedding odds and ends. IT NEVER ENDS, FOLKS. wedding this, wedding that. neverending wedding plans, i tell ya.

upon leaving the office i blended myself some nourishment:

meal 3: fruity vanilla protein smoothie.

1 048

i have a bunch of frozen fruit in the freezer at work, so i decided to utilize it in shake form. this smoothie didn’t even have one cube of ice! but it did have:

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 chunk frozen cantaloupe
  • 5 frozen green grapes
  • 2 frozen strawberries
  • 3 chunks frozen watermelon
  • 1 scoop (30g) vanilla protein powder

creamy and dreamy!

1 046

it was straight to momma b’s house to workout. do not pass go, do not collect $200. how would it be if we got $200 every time we passed “go”?! and where the hell is “go” located, anyway? i would like to find it and i would like my 200 washingtons, please and thanks.

image_thumb39

i haven’t done weights in awhile. my mom has a total gym. it just felt right.

45 minute total body workout

i hit a few key muscles but i was short on time so i didn’t hit them all. i still feel like i worked up a sweat and pumped some iron, so that is what matters.

• 5 minute plyometric warmup (a la shaun T of insanity)
    • 1 min jog in place
    • 1 min jumping jacks
    • 1 min butt kicks
    • 1 min heisman
    • 1 min 123 heisman

these circuits contain some funky moves that i made up on the spot. i plan to do a photo explanation of each one tomorrow, so sit tight and use your imagination for now!

circuit 1: three times through

move weight reps muscles worked
dumbbell squat to biceps curl to shoulder press on bosu ball 10# ea hand 15 quads, glutes, biceps, shoulders
single leg dumbbell deadlifts with upright row 10# ea hand 15 each leg (30 total) hamstrings, shoulders
russian twist w/ medicine ball on stability ball 8# ball 30 alternating sides arm endurance, obliques
alternate two moves: ball crunch while holding medicine ball and then throw ball up into the air and catch it 8# ball 30 reps of each, alternating abs, chest, biceps

that last move was scary, i thought i was going to drop the medicine ball on my face every time!

circuit 2: three times through

move weight reps muscles worked
bent over dumbbell row 15# ea hand 15 back
overhead triceps extension w/ dumbbell 15# 15 triceps
woodchopper 8# ball 15 each side, consecutively (3o total) obliques, hamstrings, arm endurance
jumping switch lunges body weight 15 each side, alternating (30 total) glutes, quads, hamstrings

the end! that was it! that was all i had time for, i had places to be and houses to paint.

*time for some body talk*

while i was working out in my mom’s gym, that is lined with full length mirrors, i had an “aha! moment”.  i realized that i am super happy with the way i look right now.

i have been complaining to marshall about my weight and about “being fat” (i KNOW i am not fat, i just like to complain) because the number on the scale was up last time i checked. like.. up higher than i’d ever expected. it bummed me out big time and i’ve been working so hard that i just didn’t understand why that number was so high. i have actually not talked about this but i have stressed out majorly about the number. i even cried about it one day. actual tears! and marshall was there to say something to me that i have repeated to myself since he said it. he said “babe, you work out 5-6 days a week and eat healthy 99% of the time. you are not fat and who cares how much you weigh? you are healthy and in shape and that is what matters.”  i knew i was marrying him for a reason. he’s right. i just have to remind myself of that sometimes.

anyway, while i was working out today.. i noticed every angle of my body in the mirror. we are talkin’ every angle. while jumping around like a maniac. and i am happy with it. i could get married tomorrow and be fine with it. now, don’t get me wrong, i am still glad i have a little over 3 weeks to get fully wedding ready.  but for the most part, i’m satisfied with the way i look. i was stressed out before, obsessing over the backs of my arms or the bump of my belly..but i think i was fabricating this in my mind because of the number i saw on the scale. my arms are toned and my abs are chiseled.  stupid scale, making me think otherwise.  so, back to how it used to be.. to hell with the scale. i started weighing myself again when i got engaged so i could get ready for my wedding.. but if i like the way i look then who cares how much i weigh? not me, not marshall and certainly not anyone else.

hope this inspires at least one person. we all have issues, i am no exception. just gotta deal with those issues the most healthy & sane way possible, right? right.

smiles.

*end body talk*

image_thumb42

guess what bar momma b loves so much that she buys it by the boxful?

1 057

yep. the protein kind bar. by the boxful, folks.

1 059

i didn’t think she would miss one ;) let’s call this meal 4, shall we?

then it was off to the house where momma b & i prepped for painting and marshall & my sis in law’s mom, shelley, primed the ceilings. i know, too much excitement for one to handle.

there was a break in the evening where i went to meet with the florist for the wedding! that was fun. i think the bouquets are going to turn out awesome. i am incorporating orchids, one of my favorite flowers!

on the way back to the house i snagged some portable dinner from the grocery store because the house in in shambles and we don’t even have a toilet let alone a functional kitchen. and in case you are wondering, yes.. i had to pee in the backyard behind a bush. no shame.

meal 5: cottage cheese, veggies & hummus, a gala apple

1 072 1 064

dinner of champs.

yawn. it’s been a long day! hopefully i can muster up some time to post tomorrow.  i get cranky if i can’t ramble :)

1. what is your favorite flower? i don’t necessarily have a favorite but i love orchids and anything tropical looking. ohh and daisies. something about their simplicity really strikes my fancy!

2. what is your favorite beverage to drink over ice? this is hard. part of me wants to say coffee and the other part wants to say tea. and then there is fresh squeezed lemonade…

xo. janetha b.

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices June 23, 2010 at 11:28 am

DEFINITELY INSPIRED! Loved your post & the ‘body talk.’ Funny because Craig & I actually had a similar conversation last night about all of that. He said pretty much THE same thing- “I think your body is perfect the way it is. You don’t need to change a thing.” It’s so nice having the support there. Sometimes we DO beat ourselves up WAY TOO MUCH about all of that…especially some numbers on a scale. It’s amazing how a few numbers can really mess with your world.
Love your workout…as always ;) Might have to borrow it soon.

Melanie June 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Coffee is definitely my favorite to-drink-over-ice thing. Mmm! Also I love this post, I love hearing about people loving themselves :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) June 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm

well DUH you should be happy with your body, you look damn good and work damn hard at it! (I just resonded to your insanity Q by the way!!)

sometimes we can be so hard on ourselves, I am a victuim of this too, but then I think about how lucky I am to work as hard as I can, I have no injurys, I am healthy and happy and I think I look darn good!!

your momma is so cute! did you ask her if she saw Cafe Britt everywhere in costa rica?!! this is my Fam’s company! my uncle owns it and now my oldest cousin is taking it over…i have been there 239840923 times! i love it (ok thats a bit more than i have but you get it!)

favorite flower are tulips

favorite iced drink…hmmm iced coffee!!!

love you!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) June 23, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Hehe – dealing with it the most “healthy & sane” way you can. Sounds familiar ;) Your conclusions are all perfect. I actually totally lost it the last week before my wedding. Adam didn’t care about trying to lose weight anymore and I just couldn’t find time to work out or plan/weight every gram of my food. So I ate and ate. And Adam still thought I was the most beautiful bride in the world (and said “I do” hehe) and I’m pretty happy with my pictures. When I look at them I think of how happy I was that day. That’s all that matters. :)

Elina (Healthy and Sane) June 23, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Oh – I was going to shoot you an email about this but since I’m here… might as well. How do you feel about the insanity workouts? Worth the $$? Have you ever (or would you) do them exclusively? I know you currently use them as back-up when you can’t get to the gym… Thanks, love :)

jayme (cars&carbs) June 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm

i loved this post! that’s an awesome mindset to have. you know, the ‘i’m happy with my body, so why does the number on the scale matter?’ mindset. i’m proud.
i’m not that into flowers, but orchids are my favourite too!
anddd honestly, i’m kind of a freak because i don’t really like ice. i hate when i end up chewing on it. but i think my favourite iced drink would be yummy sugar loaded iced tea. … or a long island iced tea. :)

Jenny June 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm

perhaps I’m an enabler but I full condone your addiction.

this post made me smile like crazy. Your body is a wonderland. That is all.

LOVE YOU, YOU BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL THING!!

Allison June 23, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I never comment, but I love what you wrote about the scale. It doesn’t matter what the scalawags as long as you are fit, healthy, and happy with the way you look. The number on the scale is irrelevant.

lo June 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm

We are our own worst critics and it is wonderful you have your amazin guy to remind you how amazing you are. Enjoy the last 3 weeks before your wedding! You are gorgeous and I only wish I could have your drive to workout 6 times a week. You are my inspiration for getting into strength!

Lo

Kelly June 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Girl you are awesome! And you can seriously ROCK some skinny jeans! I mean really! It is hard to pull off skinny jeans and you do it perfectly! Hollah for that! :)

BroccoliHut June 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I, too, find myself NEEDING to blog at the end of the day. It’s my kind of therapy.
PS I always dig your sweet ketchup art.

hayleycepeda June 23, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Janetha I LOVE your attitude towards your body!! You SHOULD look in the mirror and be happy with your reflection – you look beautiful, fit, happy and healthy. Honestly whenever I see full-body pictures of you I always think of how great you look. It’s so nice that Marshall is supportive and points out the fact that you eat healthy and exercise – he’s going to be a great husband. :)

I love how close you and Mama B are – I’m the same way with my mom and so wish we lived closer. It’s nice to kind of live vicariously through you in that aspect…

Love you lady!! XOXO

Mary (A Merry Life) June 23, 2010 at 5:10 pm

You blogging addict. ;)

1. what is your favorite flower? I love daises.

2. what is your favorite beverage to drink over ice? water. ;)

Em June 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm

“hey, at least it’s not crack!” – brilliant line. your “aha moment” was pretty brilliant too; way to go on that!

1. I like lilies. all kinds of lilies. orchids are up there too.

2. honestly, I don’t usually ice my beverages. is that weird?

Whole Body Love June 23, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I am struggling HARD with the number on the scale right now. however, I can’t fit into my clothes either (not pregnant, ;) ) If I did look good and feel comfortable in my clothes …I would say F the scale! You look great !

Susan June 24, 2010 at 9:55 am

You know how I feel about the scale… I haven’t owned one in years now!! I don’t feel like they’re helpful in weight maintenance, or when you’re trying to shape your body with weight lifting. It’s only good to know your weight for medical reasons, and if you have a lot of weight to lose (like, 40 lbs). It’s also important to remember that our bodies are always changing. My body does not hold on to weight the same way it did when I was 18 years old. And you’re right… we are light years ahead of a lot of people in terms of how we take care of ourselves. We shouldn’t let a silly number diminish that!!

1. Lilies! My name means “graceful white lily.” Even though the smell reminds most people of funerals…

2. If I’m being honest here… whiskey!! Good whiskey poured over a glass full of ice, a splash of water, and a squeeze of lemon. Mmmmm….

LOVE YOU!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 24, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Yay for body acceptance- I’m so glad to hear this as I was JUST going to shoot you a followup email to our last convo.

Love Mama B- say hi to her- and see- I knew she had good taste. There is not a better tasting bar on this earth than the one she buys by the box (surprised it’s not by the case actually!). I’m sitting here awaiting my adoption papers. Just waiting.

Love you.

Bekah June 26, 2010 at 7:12 am

Your momma is so pretty miss janetha. I know where you get your good looks from! :)

My favorite flower is white tulip. So simple, and so lovely.
what gets me to the gym? definitely putting on my workout clothes. not only do i feel more comfortable in them (so any bad vibes, bad feelings in my regular clothes go out the door the minute i put them on) but then i actually do go workout! haha.

Kailz the SnackFace June 26, 2010 at 8:05 am

JANEEEEEETHA!!!! OK, I am so sorry that I have so much catching up to do, and I’m running out the door now, but I HAD to comment on this!

A week or two ago, I finally decided to weigh myself and look at the numbers. October had been the last time I’d known how much I weighed. Before I stepped on, I knew that I like the way I look, I’m happy, I feel healthier than ever, and I literally said to myself, “Ah, f*ck it.” I stepped on, saw the number, and for the first time…I felt nothing! I was like, hayyyy that number doesn’t measure anything! It was quite the Aha! moment, too.

I MISSSSS YOU!!!! Hope everything is fanfreakingtastic! LOVE YOU!

Amy P July 6, 2010 at 8:19 am

First, I never comment lol. But I love your blog, like LOVE, like blog-crush love…

Odd moment over.

I just needed to comment on THIS particular post.. I have been struggling too, and I came back to this specific post and it totally gave me the words of wisdom I needed to stop my “amy bitchin to amy’s head”

So thanksssss!