a day in the life: jamie c.

by Janetha on June 17, 2010

in meals

hello and a happy thursday to you!  don’t worry, it is still guest post thursday, but today’s post is coming to you in a different form and a new feature here on meals & moves!  i have asked several of my nearest and dearest freinds & family members to periodically post for me.

rather than typing up a typical guest post, i’ve requested that they document a day in their life.  you see my meals & moves day in and day out. you know how i eat and exercise. it is very similar to several other bloggers out there.  BUT.. you never get to see a day in the life of other folks AKA people who aren’t into regularly photographing their food or documenting their every move.

yeah. that is the majority of the population, folks.

i think this new “a day in the life” feature will be fun! you can have a look into the lives of non-food bloggers. and i think it will also be fun for the participants who are having to take photos all day long. in fact, today’s poster, jamie, threw away some of the food before getting the photo and had to dig it out of the trash so she could get the shot. i laughed so hard when she told me this.. it really is sometimes hard to remember to snap a photo before you eat~ but eventually it becomes second nature.

i will be posting “a day in the life” posts as they come in from my friends & family members. i hope you enjoy seeing into their lives!

so, as i mentioned up there, today’s post is a look into the life of one of my very best friends, jamie! i often refer to her as “j5” here on the blog.  she is hilarious, witty and gorgeous. and she is in my wedding. and she has that adorable puppy you’ve seen on the blog before. and guess what today happens to be?!? j5’s 25th birthday!!!  this was totally coincidental. she sent me her post earlier this week and i’d planned to post these posts on thursdays (in place of guest post thursday) and her birthday just happened to land on today!

WOOO! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JAMIE FIVE!

so, without further ado, i give you a day in the life: jamie c.

********************************************************************

My name is Jamie; I’m an archaeologist and have a dog named Indy. I’ve been friends with Janetha for a long time and was excited when she asked if I’d be willing to do a guest post on her blog. About two years ago Janetha was the person who inspired me to start Body for Life and I lost about 17 pounds (which is awesome!). Because I am so busy I sort of do my own version of BFL which involves eating small meals when I can, and working out when I’m not in the field.

I just got back from an archaeology trip in Nine Mile Canyon. Just FYI, when the weatherman says 50% chance of rain, HE MEANS IT! It rained on us the whole time, and I, my dog and my car have never been so muddy. I took a crew of four and we went out to survey and record sites. This has been an adventure for me because not only am I in charge of coordinating the archaeology aspect of the trip, I’m also the camp cook (which is scary if any of you have seen my attempts at cooking).

We stayed at the historic Nutter Ranch in this renovated cabin

clip_image002

Which turns out was pretty awesome since it rained non-stop. Saturday morning we woke up and it looked like this:

clip_image004

This put a big damper on the day since we have to be outside hiking the hillsides. So while we waited for the rain to stop we had breakfast. I usually put out a simple cold breakfast while we are in the field, there is nothing worse than eating a big thing of eggs, pancakes and sausage and then trying to hike (unless you like puking all over your shoes…) So we munched on cereal, fruit, oatmeal, apples, muffins from Costco (soooo good), and Pop Tarts!

clip_image006

clip_image008

And of course, what would any camping experience be without coffee? Let me inform all of you that I have never made coffee from a non-electrical coffee pot. It was a very interesting experience. It’s like those old jokes, “How many people does it take to….” Well, turns out it takes two archaeologists to figure out how to brew a pot of coffee.

clip_image010

TaDa!

clip_image012

Meanwhile, Indy had been keeping a watchful eye on the rain

clip_image014

When the rain finally stopped, well, raining on our parade, we threw on our rain jackets, grabbed our backpacks and headed out to find some sites. Hiking is always good exercise, but climbing up a 40° muddy slope was an adventure that still has my quads feeling sore. When we survey we spread out, like a comb, and walk the landscape…like this

clip_image016

I’m always amazed at the weird modern garbage we find on survey. I usually always find a balloon of some sort, but that day I found a winner….any guesses?

A BOOT!

clip_image018

I also found a pair of muddy man-panties but I decided not to take a picture of those. It was entertaining to picture some dude running around the wilderness without underwear and a boot.

As we kept walking the thing that was the best were the smells. I love the smell of sage, and everything smelled all wet and damp from the rain. Sometimes I feel really lucky that this is my office

clip_image020

Right after this we found a pretty neat rock art site. It was composed of petroglyphs, which are when images are pecked into the rock. So, we settled down to record the site.

clip_image022

clip_image024

clip_image026

clip_image028

I decided to pull out my lunchtime snack of Pub Mix from Costco

clip_image030

And when I tried to get a better picture of it in my palm, Indy snuck in like a bandit for a taste. Lesson # 1 of the day, dogs like Pub Mix too!

clip_image032

We also found this awesome habitation structure…

clip_image034

And storage structure…

clip_image036

I love my job!!!

We finished up recording these sites and decided to keep hiking in search of archaeology when out of nowhere a downpour of epic proportions hit us. We had to dive into the nearest shelter

clip_image038

clip_image040

As it turns out, the rain did not let up any time soon and we were stuck in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of feet from the car, and soaking wet. So we decided to light a fire with some of the cow dung in the shelter, we reasoned if pioneers did it, we could to. Again, “How many people does it take to….” light a fire using cow poo? Whelp, turns out it takes five, yes five, archaeologists to make a fire.

clip_image042

Lesson #2 of the day, smoke from cow poo fires smells bad.

We were able to warm up a bit, and when there was a break in the rain we made a mad dash to the car and headed back to camp. Where upon arrival, those under 21 had hot chocolate, and the rest of us had cocktails. Archaeologists love cheep beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon and…

OLYMPIA!

clip_image044

Indy was all wet and irritated that he didn’t have his dog bed, so we made him a faux bed out of a cardboard box and some bubble wrap

clip_image046

He looked like 7 lb. 10 oz. sweet little baby Jesus in a manger!

Then I got on to the business of getting dinner ready. I still don’t know how to use a Dutch oven so I choose recipes that avoid one altogether. I decided to make chicken kabobs. I diced chicken, soaked it in House of Tsang’s Teriyaki Stir Fry Sauce, and shoved it on some bamboo skewers. Then I put whole mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, green and red bell peppers and onion on the rest of the skewers. We made a fire in the fire pit, and grilled up our kabobs. I served them with corn on the cob and a Greek pasta salad!

clip_image048

Lesson of the day #3, when your dog is spazing out and chasing his tail and running in circles (which is HELARIOUS), the dishes can wait.

clip_image050

We then spent the rest of the night roasting marshmallows over the fire and hanging out.

clip_image052

Oh yeah, and drying out our sopping wet boots

clip_image054

So that’s what a day in the field with an archaeologist looks like. I need to convince Janetha to come out and cook for us!

******************************************************************

thanks, j5! loved taking a peek into your day. it is way more exciting than my 8 hours at the office every day. i am envious of your outdoor adventures!

everyone: i will be back tomorrow for flashback friday! here is a hint: it has to do with j5 and her birthday ;)

see you then!!

1. what is your coffee brewing method of choice? janetha here. i prefer french press! but i also have an espresso machine and a drip coffee pot, i am a jack of all coffee trades, folks.

2. what do you do for work? janetha again. i am not as awesome as j5 with her master’s degree in archaeology (PROPS, sista!).. i run a window company. hey, it’s lucrative, pays the bills and is definitely a fun environment :)

xo. jamie c. & janetha b.

Erica June 17, 2010 at 5:40 pm

What a fun guest post idea! It will definitely give your friends and family a new appreciation for what you do! What a cool job. I wish I could bring Frank to work with me.

1. Coffee? Any way please ;)
2. I do a combination of engineering and financial work

Erin June 17, 2010 at 6:52 pm

What an awesome post! I think this is a great idea and am totally jealous of your friends job.

1. Auto-drip. I haven’t ventured out into the world of coffee yet. My bf has a french press and an espresso machine but I haven’t played with them yet. Mental note–play with coffee pots!

2. I’m a science teacher. Very rewarding, great summer hours :D, terrible pay :(

Maya June 17, 2010 at 6:59 pm

This is a great guest post idea! It’s easy to forget there are people out there who don’t know what overnight oats or banana soft serve are!

Your friend’s days seem so fun! I bet Utah is a great place for an archaeology enthusiast.

lindsay June 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm

That job is WAY COOL!! And I love Indy…so adorable! I like my coffee in a french press or in an espresso pot on the stove. So good

Brynne June 17, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I’m determined to try my French Press tomorrow because all I’ve ever had is drip! And I work at Lululemon aka have fun, do yoga, and wear leggings to work :0)

ashlan June 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm

love her clothing!

Jenn June 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm

My fav is the french press too but that’s not what I use day to day. :-(

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 18, 2010 at 4:54 am

What a cool feature you’re doing! This was, and is , going to be so fun to read! Great idea :D

And yeah, totally more interesting than my day ;)

I like to brew coffee with the french press! When my tum allows me to drink coffee, that is.

and

I am a student. One day, I hope to be a personal chef. And I work for a vegan bakery you all know and love part time :D

xo
Kris

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition June 18, 2010 at 4:58 am

Fun post! You guys both make me really want to go camping

I got another kidney stone and had to give up coffee again : (

boo stinks because I really really Love the taste.

I currently work for a production company (part time) and then waitress!

Talia June 18, 2010 at 5:06 am

KEURIG is all I can say! 30 seconds to my cup of coffee (sometimes 29 seconds to long depending on the day HAHA!)

I have two degrees (Public Relations and an M.B.A) and also am certified to teach in the State of Texas where I taught for a year before moving to Pittsburgh after I got married. Life sometimes throws you a curve ball because due to STUPID restrictions on out-of-state certifications I can’t teach here without going back for a THIRD degree (not gonna happen). So, now, I consider myself one of THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF PITTSBURGH at the ripe age of 29. However, I don’t mind:) Gives me all the time I need to work on my fitness training and hopefully prep for a figure competition and maybe get my personal training certificate. I’m grateful for the time to figure it out and do whatever the heck I want to, GOSH! :)

Talia:)

Nicole C June 18, 2010 at 7:30 am

My boyfriend has been begging me to move to Pittsburgh for years now and it looks like it’s in the near future. How do you like it there?

Lee June 18, 2010 at 5:16 am

Cool job.

I do graphic design type stuff. It’s not as cool as it sounds!

Elina June 18, 2010 at 6:23 am

Happy birthday, Jamie!! Awesome post :)

Nicole C June 18, 2010 at 7:29 am

Fun post! I have a friend who has an archaeologist friend too. She is my contact for my future travel plans to Glacier National Park, hopefully sooner than later.

I don’t drink coffee, maybe that is why I’m so sluggish in the morning but it’s not my cup of tea.

I have worked for an electrical contractor building the Vegas hotels for 10 years now. Started in high school,went to college for interior design, graduated but I liked where I worked. This week I started for our Renewable Energy Division…that’s right..helping the future energy needs of the world one solar panel at a time.

Happy Birthday to Jamie!

lisaou11 June 18, 2010 at 7:31 am

I love this! Sometimes its nice to see how completely normal people in regards to food eat! Also, what kind of dog is indy?!

I’m a membership coordinator for a University’s Alumni Association.

Beth @ 990 Square June 18, 2010 at 7:52 am

I’ll take coffee any way I can get it, as long as it isn’t instant!

I’m a budget analyst that doesn’t work with numbers! ha! I have my masters in public policy :-)

Taysa (Water, Butter and Wine) June 18, 2010 at 8:35 am

I LOVED this post. I wish I had a job where I was stomping around in nature all day, then sitting by a campfire at night. Sounds perfect! And I also love Olympia beer, ha ha.

Taysa (Water, Butter and Wine) June 18, 2010 at 8:38 am

Oh yeah:

1. We french press it at home everyday, but I reeeeaaaallly love espresso and, if I could afford one, I would definately have a beautiful, large espresso machine at home.

2. I work for a book publishing company in a sattelite office — I am the office manager/administrative assitant/web person.

Marissa June 18, 2010 at 9:08 am

That’s awesome! I remember I wanted to be an archaelogist in 5th grade so bad! Me and my friends would spend all recess digging around in the rocks and dirt at the edge of the kickball field and pretend we were finding ancient runes! It would be amazing to find those pictorial rocks!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) June 18, 2010 at 10:13 am

fun post!!! what a cutie indy is!! :) Being an archeologist sounds like such an amazing job and what great places you get to discover!!!
i could not life without coffee period. I love it french pressed!!

I am a personal trainer/exercise specialist for a corporate health management company!

Andrea P June 18, 2010 at 10:29 am

Go JFeez- I love your job too… what is this blog all about? What is body for life- I wouldn’t mind loosing 17 lbs!?

Jamie C June 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

thanks for actually reading this guys, its fun for me to share stuff. dont know who asked it up there but indy is a chesapeake bay retriever and is the smartest, sweetest dog in the whole world! and andrea you can check out bfl online or you can buy the book and learn about it (its by bill phillips)

booya.

reddaisytx June 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Great Idea!

1. I’m not a coffee drinker. My one Diet Dr. Pepper in the AM is all I need. Mix in a Chai Tea Latte every now and again and I’m a happy girl.

2. I work at NASA in procedures integration. I manage crew and ground procedures for the Space Shuttle and International Space Station.

I LOVE…LOVE…LOVE that your J5 is an archeologist. When I was little that is what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was, and still am, obsessed with Pompeii.

Michelle Woodcock June 18, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I use a drip coffee pot. Easy, while I take my shower and then it’s ready!! YAY!! I am a “treasurer/secretary” but I do it all–mom, wife, office manager, manager of the home, cook, house cleaner, home/office organizer–all for little or not pay!! But, it keeps me busy and I’m w/ family I love!! : )

Laura @ Starloz June 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm

This is a great idea, I love reading how people spent their days!

My favorite coffee is one I don’t have to make & one that has a pretty design on the top

traynharder23 June 18, 2010 at 8:37 pm

hmmm. i don’t really make coffee- and when i do, it’s instant or from starbucks! (ahaha totally bad i know.)

well, i’m a student full time, and personal train on the side.

julie June 28, 2010 at 9:19 am

your shower dress is GORGEOUS!!!

marshmellow is a VERY lucky man girl :) he better know that every single day.

your weekend seems exhausting but yet so fun!!! hope you enjoyed your beats and oats at your monday meeting today girrrl!