boy am i glad the day is almost over! all day today i thought it was wednesday. i had to keep reminding myself that it was only tuesday. and, unfortunately it was one of those days today. don’t you just hate those days?
i am physically and mentally exhausted, so this post might be a little whack. just the facts. cut & dry. no rambling. i am just warning you in advance ;)
meal 1: mighty maple chocolate protein oats @ 8:30 AM
it was great hearing what everyone likes to put in their bowl of oatmeal! today, my bowl had:
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 30g chocolate protein powder (EAS brand)
- 1 TB mighty maple peanut butter
- 1 TB polaner apricot preserves
the apricot preserves paired nicely with the peanut butter! that was a combo i’ve never tried.
340 calories, 33g protein, 32g carbs, 11g fat
i’ve been looking into killer upper body workouts and arm toning advice lately. i have a wedding coming up, in case you haven’t heard, and i need to get my arms in tip top condition! i found an article called “how to get the most out of your arm toning workouts” and i wanted to share it with you guys. i can’t repost it on the blog but check it out here.
these are some great tips. sometimes i forget to prioritize my larger muscles first, but i do believe this is a great strategy. i have been adding in a ton more variety to my workouts lately (both upper and lower body) in hopes to hit every angle of my muscles before the big day!
meal 2: turkey + egg white wrap & baby peppers @ 1:00 PM
for the wrap, i scrambled 3 egg whites and stuffed them in a tumaro’s garden wrap that was slathered with 1 wedge laughing cow light cheese and 1 tsp beaver creek hot & sweet mustard. i also put 2 ounce of low sodium turkey breast in the wrap for added protein.
paired with my favorite baby veggies! i am addicted to these.
total meal= 300 calories, 34g protein, 16g carbs, 6g fat
stress makes me lose my appetite. with that said, i wasn’t hungry for meal 3 but i also knew i needed something or i’d get all sorts of light headed during my workout. so i kept it simple..
meal 3: an apple @ 4:30 PM
i used to not be able to just eat an apple for my snack. i used to HAVE to pair it with a protein. i am getting a lot better about that rule. slowly but surely. i was OK with just eating the apple today with no protein to match the carbs. i wasn’t even hungry but the apple was just what i needed to get me through my super intense workout today.
today was a cardio/HIIT day and i made up a KILLER treadmill sequence. PLEASE try this.. it’s great!
triple threat jog/sprint interval workout:
set your treadmill to 1.0 incline and do the following:
- warmup 2 minutes
- determine your comfortable “jog” speed (mine is 6.0 MPH)
- you will base your sprints off your comfortable jog speed. the first set of sprints should be 2.0 mph higher than your jog (8.0 for me), the next set of sprints will be 2.5 mph higher than your jog (8.5 for me) and the final set of sprints will be 3.0 mph higher than your jog (9.0 mph for me)
- on the final sprint, try to go longer than the one minute. push as hard as you possibly can and go until you almost fall off the treadmill! hit your max!
- cool down until you get to 30 minutes
here is how my workout looked:
|minute #||speed (MPH)||pace|
5 minutes of stretching
total distance=3.36 miles, total time 35 minutes, max HR 181 (!!!), ave HR 150, calories burned 275
wooooo! quite the max HR, eh?! i was dying during that very last sprint, but i was happy that i went for a whole 1 minute 20 seconds! i guess listening iron maiden makes me run pretty fast.
recharged with liquid love.
meal 4: my very favorite protein smoothie. ever. @ 6:15 PM
- 30g vanilla whey protein powder (EAS brand)
- 50g frozen blueberries
- 45g frozen banana (half of a medium banana)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup light vanilla silk soymilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (thickening agent)
- TONS of ice
i could drink this every day and never tire of it. the flavor is amazing. it is, hands down, my favorite combo when it comes to smoothies.
check out those blueberry specks!
243 calories, 29g protein, 27g carbs, 3.5g fat
i had to do some unexpected running around immediately after blending this, so i took it on the go. my impromptu errands also caused me to have a super late dinner!
meal 5: sweet potato + mozzarella omelet @ 9:45 PM
i still fail miserably at making omelets look pretty! oh well, practice makes perfect.. right?
i used my eatsmart food scale to make this omelet. the ingredients:
- 3 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 70g baked sweet potato
- 1/4 cup (28g) low moisture/part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 tb reduced sugar ketchup
i have had a few negative comments regarding my use of a food scale. no, it is not something i typically do.. but i am trying to get into tip top shape for my wedding and i believe that it is important to be aware of my macronutrients right now. usually i use the eyeball/fist/palm method but more often than not this method makes my portion sizes larger than they need to be. i understand that weighing and measuring food out can lead to disordered eating habits for some, but for me.. it just keeps me in check. instead of throwing in a handful of cheese (which is always easily more than a serving) i am weighing out a serving and this way i am aware of my intake. this is not something i will do forever or even at every meal right now. but it is something i feel is necessary to keep my eats in check. for some, weighing and measuring is harmful. to others, it is helpful. to each her own and for me it is helpful. just wanted to clear that up :)
mmmm.. sweet potatoes are so flavorful that you don’t even need to season this omelet!
oh, omelets, why do you always fall apart on me?! anyway.. 277 calories, 26g protein, 20g carbs, 10g fat
and now we are current!
ratios today (with my BLTs that i will post below) ended up at 39% protein, 39% carbs, 22% fat. not bad! i am also pleased that even with my meal 3 being all carbs, my ratios are still right on the money. $chaching!$
we have decided to go camping this weekend! kind of last minute, spur of the moment. but i have been wanting to go camping this summer and i realized that every single weekend after this one is occupied!!
- next weekend=father’s day & my bestie’s 25th birthday party
- the one after that=wedding shower & 5k
- the one after that=4th of july
- the one after that=bachelorette party
- the one after that=WEDDING!
- the one after that=24th of july (holiday in utah)
- the one after that=finish up moving into the house/unpacking
- the one after that=arizona for another bestie’s graduation
anyway. if anyone wants to type up a guest post for me to throw on the blog this weekend, let me know. it would be stellar of you!
okay. sorry to not be more exciting! it is late and i gotta get some shut eye. like i said, kind of a cut & dry post. promise to be more entertaining manana! see ya then for waffle wednesday!
BLTs list! (edited to add, i forgot last night!)
- 2 orange segments
- ~15 grapes
- 2 apple segments
- 1 calcium chew
- 1 multivitamin
- ~1 gallon water
- 1 bite (literally!) BBQ beef @ my mom’s
- 4 pieces trident tropical twist
1. what is your very favorite smoothie mixture? see above for mine! very favorite ever!
2. any upper body tips for the bride to be? i’m all ears :)
xo. janetha b.