guest post thursday! annabel a.

by Janetha on May 27, 2010

in meals

hello and welcome to thursday! you know what that means, time for a guest post from one of my fabulous friends :)

today’s poster, annabel, came to me and asked if i needed help with a post since i am in the midst of wedding planning shenanigans. i thought it was so thoughtful of her to offer.. because obviously i have a lot on my plate right now! so i readily accepted her offer and was incredibly pleased with the outcome. i love annabel and i think you will to!

here she is!

*******************************************************************************************

Hey guys! My name is Annabel and I blog over at www.FeedMeImCranky.com. I want to thank Janetha for giving me the opportunity to guest post – I have followed (and loved) her blog since post #1!

I feel like one of those silly ice breakers we have to play in school or at corporate meetings is due here. So, I’ll tell you three things about myself – two facts and one fiction for you to guess. 1) I have a twin. 2) I used to be nearly 300 pounds. 3) I’m a little off my rocker.

Ok, so maybe all three are true. You’ll just have to find out! :D

When thinking about what to write for this post, I was a bit stumped. All I could hear was Hamlet’s famous rhetorical question: “to be or not to be?” Is it odd that Hamlet’s voice parades itself in my head? Well, you should see his company!

Anywho, I’ve decided I’ll share some of my own “to be”s  when it comes to my health:

To be healthy, ya gotta…

• Break it down. If someone had told my 280-pound-and-unhealthy old self that in order to get healthy I would have to stop eating all the foods I loved and get an exercise-wheel like a Hamster, I would have stuffed my face with another Big Mac and told them to screw off. Thankfully, I realized that I could break down my health goals and take it step by step and pound by pound. Looking at the big picture is great and necessary, but fixating on it can be overwhelming.
  • Get your learn on. I know it’s hard for us health gurus to imagine a day when we did not know how to read nutrition labels or which foods to eat, but I hold on dearly to my memory of that ignorance! Sound weird? Well, I’ve got to keep myself in check — assume you know everything and you learn nothing.
  • Try new things. This definitely ties in with learning new things. The more research I do, and the more I grow as a healthy person, the more I want to experiment with new foods, new exercises and new healthy lifestyles. I’ve been an omnivore, vegetarian and vegan (currently) – but I always love cooking a range of foods, especially for my omnivore boyfriend. Healthy people love to exercise their bodies, and, for me, exercising my mind and my choices is just as important!
  • Accept the things you can’t change. If you’ve ever been to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting (don’t ask), or known someone battling an addiction, you’ve probably heard him/her mention that accepting what he/she could not change is a big part of getting clean. Why? It’s hard for us type-As (*cough*) to accept things we can’t change. “That’s defeatism!” is certainly something that would pop in my head. But when you think about it – it’s a big, crazy, world out there and trying to change and control everything can leave you feeling like Atlas with the world resting on his shoulders. You can accept that some things are out of your control and also empower yourself to strive to change all that you can. It’s a delicate balance, but one worth refining for the sake of your mental and emotional health.
  • Be your own advocate. Welcome to adulthood womp womp. No one is going to patrol what you eat, how often you exercise (or if I need to change the oil in my car! Crap, I need to do that!), etc. And the government certainly isn’t going to do it either. You know all those cute little check marks and “heart healthy” symbols you see branded on your packaged goodies? Be skeptical and do your research. Don’t like what you see? Think your grocery store skimps on the organic produce? Do as Michael Pollan, author of Food Rules, says and “vote with your fork.” How you spend your money tells companies how they can make money and, you know what, if it seems organic and healthy foods will make them money, they’ll offer more of it! This is definitely an area where you have control and can make big changes with your small actions.
  • Think holistic. Ever feel like you’re suffering from healthy-lifestyle-ocd? Yea, me too. That’s when I remember that health is not about looking this way or only eating that but about looking straight ahead at myself in the mirror. No, I’m not advocating vanity, silly! I’m saying that it’s your life story you’re writing, so accept and appreciate your back-story, your pace, and where you want it to go. Remember, at the end of the day, when it comes to “to be or not to be” you should always be yourself.

And with that, my friends, I am a cornball!

***********************************************************************

thanks, annabel! your healthy ‘”to be”s are definitely all we can learn from.  i especially like “accept the things you can’t change”!  this one took me awhile to follow, but seriously.. if you just let it go.. you will be a lot happier (and healthier, mentally!)

annabel decided to keep with the meals & moves theme and ask some questions for all of you :)

1. Tell me three things about you – two that are true – and let me guess the facts and fiction!

2. Give me your own “to be”s when it comes to health!

xo. janetha b. & annabel a.

overconcerned May 27, 2010 at 8:20 pm

1) I live in China.
2) I’ve never had avocados before.
3) I don’t own a blog.

To be healthy, I have to learn to eat in MODERATION. Not too much, not to little. And to listen to my body. To know when it’s full, to know its reactions to fats (fact: binging on peanut butter will cause tummy aches. Fact: Knowing that didn’t stop me from binging. Fact: Lesson is not learned yet.)

Loved this post! I definitely agree about being educated. :)

Wei-Wei

Liz May 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm

1. My favorite college team is the Longhorns.
2. I want to get back into yoga worse than anything and am craving the time.
3. I’ve recently decided to go back to school to become a Registered Dietitian.

My “to be”s are … TO BE willing to learn constantly. TO BE in constant pursuit of personal reinvention and growth. TO BE tolerant of others and helpful to those who come to me for advice regarding weight. TO BE proud of myself and hold my head up high knowing that I’ve accomplished something amazing in my quest for serious weight loss and continual health! <>

Hi Janetha!

learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood May 27, 2010 at 9:00 pm

1. I am studying to be an actuary
2. I go to the gym two hours a day- six days a week
3. I was born in England

My “to be’s” are… I am going to be the woman god created me to be. I am going to be accepting of my weight no matter what the number!!

Faith May 28, 2010 at 4:44 am

My three things:
1.) I used to be a bridal model
2.) I’ve never been to the hospital
3.) I would give anything to live in Spain

Faith May 28, 2010 at 4:46 am

Apparently, my third truth in that list is I’m an idiot who forgets to finish her comment before she hits submit ;) My to-be’s would include BE willing to indulge, BE passionate about your health (otherwise it will fall by the wayside in a split second), and BE your own biggest cheerleader.

April May 28, 2010 at 4:53 am

1. I have a gold tooth
2. I’ve been to heaven
3. I have my Masters degree.

I love the name of Annabel’s blog HA!

. have willpower when there is chocolate around
. determined
. content on what God has given you

Heather May 28, 2010 at 6:05 am

1 I was born in Holland
2 I hate when there is dessert in the house because my self control goes out the window
3 i’ve run a marathon.

My healthy to be… Get those around you to accept your lifestyle so they don’t try to get you off track.

Susan May 28, 2010 at 6:24 am

1. I’m left-handed
2. I can speak Latin
3. I’m a natural blonde

I love the things listed in this post! “Be your own advocate” really hits home for me. It was definitely a turning point for me when i learned no one was going to look after me but myself. My extra one would be “Lead by example.” You’re going to come across a lot of people who will try to throw you off your healthy journey. Don’t stress about it, because they’ll eventually come around once they see how happy you are with your choices :)

Elina May 28, 2010 at 6:51 am

I love Annabel – this another great post from her. My to be – question your goals. Are you running for the right reasons? Trying to lose 10 lbs again – is it worth it? You get the point ;)
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

1. I was born in New York
2. I hate fast food, but I LOVE Wendy’s Chicken Nuggets and Frosty.
3. I want to open my own business one day

Great post, Annabel!

My to be is to always be kind to yourself. If my body needs a rest, I give it a rest! If it wants some chocolate, I give it some chocolate :D

xo
K

Alicia May 28, 2010 at 8:48 am

1. Three Things About Me…1)I’ve had 3 knee surgeries and I’m only 27! 2)I hate the fat in meat…grosses me out 3)I could be a vegetarian, but I like meat/fish 4)I’m a skinny minny….I know, you said 3, but what can I say, I’m an over achiever!

2. My Health To Be’s:
– Try new things.
– Eat more veggies.
– Don’t kill myself if I want something that isn’t healthy.
– We only have 1 life, live it up!

Amanda, another priorfatgirl May 28, 2010 at 9:17 am

hi, annabel!!! love ya! was so surprised to see you over here! yay friday! too many exclamations!

1. i’ve seen the movie gladiator nearly 50 times.
2. in the past two weeks, i’ve purchased 300ish pinback buttons on ebay.
3. my favorite food is toast.

to be healthy: moderation is key, smiling is a must, and wearing tie-dyed anything makes everything better.

freckledfoodie May 28, 2010 at 9:29 am

1. I used to weigh about 200 pounds.
2. I have a puppy named Shiloh.
3. I graduated at age 17.

great post, annabel! so true on the “to be’s!”

xo.

Hallie May 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

1. I’m doing a half-marathon in August
2. I have a fun vacation planned for the end of the year
3. I have a dog and a fish.

Loved this post! I love Anabel’s blog. I think to be healthy, you have “to be” HONEST with yourself and your actions. Are you moving yourself towards being your personal best, or away from it? I also things it’s important “to be” kind to yourself. No one is perfect all the time, and we make the best decision we can in the moment. Those two “to be’s” might seem contradictory, but hey, that’s how I roll :-)

biz319 May 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Great guest post! :D

1. I have a twin!
2. I used to be 210 pounds (and I am short – not a good look!)
3. I love onions!