flashback friday & some highlights.

by Janetha on May 21, 2010

in meals

hey everybody!

glad you all enjoyed ashlan’s inspiring post! check it out if you haven’t yet.

i am not exaggerating when i say this post is going to be short and sweet. i have a BUSY day/night/weekend/life and so i wanted to throw a little “hello” and some photos up~ and then i’ll be on my way!

highlights.

1. we booked our honeymoon!

finally, a decision has been made. we will be going to cabo! i’ve been before but not since 6th grade, and marshall has never been to mexico! ironic, since he is half mexican. or 1/3 or 1/4 i don’t know. all i know is my last name will soon be that of a mexican, once we are hitched. (gallegos.)

cabo san lucas, i can’t wait for you.

[source.]

2. we celebrated allie’s birthday last night!

IMG_2006

happy birthday to my loverboat :) we went to a mexican restaurant and i got the chicken fajitas.

IMG_2011

the plate was mondo. i ate about half the chicken, most of the veggies and all of the guac. obviously. none of the rice or beans.

IMG_2012IMG_2013

also munched on chips and salsa. when in rome?

IMG_2010

3. my tendonitis is getting much better!

no photos. just a lot less pain. yipeeee.

4. i did a fun circuit workout yesterday!

i pulled this out of oxygen magazine. it is a total body routine.

move weight reps
plie squat 25# 15
dumbbell row 17.5# ea 15
alternating dumbbell curl 10# ea 15 each arm
dumbbell step up 10# ea 15 each leg, alternating
flat bench dumbbell chest press 20# ea 15
seated dumbbell shoulder press 10# ea 15
seated triceps extension 17.5# 15
stiff legged dumbbell deadlift 25# ea 15
cross bench pullover 17.5# 15
crossover biceps curl 10# ea 15 each arm, consecutive

completed the above circuit 3 times through, without stopping. ‘twas fabulous.

5. i watched a good flick with the boy!

marshall & i watched “wristcutters” last night, which i thought was going to be a flop based on the title alone.. but i really liked it! anyone seen it?

[source.]

okay, okay.. so my highlights are kind of boring. but i decided to take some time off and NOT take photos of anything.. and not read blogs.. i “unplugged” and it was nice. it also meant i didn’t have much to show you guys. sorry! i am sure there will be plenty of action this weekend and my next post will make up for this lame-o one.

flashback friday!

nothing significant stood out as far as a flashback for this week goes.. so i decided to bombard you with photos from months of mays past.

enjoy!

up5-27 146up5-27 145

up5-21 103up5-21 108up5-21 114image

MAY 2009

HAHA

imageimageimageimage

a few thoughts:

i wonder what happened to the girl from the 2006 photos.. who hung out confidently in her bikini top without a second thought about her stomach.

who ate what everyone else was eating, just because it was there, not worried about the protein-to-carb ratio.

who didn’t care about weight, body image or extra calories.

2005 i dont remember much. 2006 was awesome.. i didn’t care about anything and i just lived life, no second thoughts. 2007 is when i started caring, no, i didn’t change my habits. but i cared that i had put on weight. by 2008 i had changed my habits to healthy ones. and by 2009 i was die hard about exercise and clean eating.

funny how things change. i mean, some things are the same. i was happy then and i am still happy now.. but i am for SURE healthier now. i am NOT that girl from the photos above. i have to be honest and say i definitely wish i still had some of those traits. i am glad i’ve switched the booze for water and the nights out at the bar for nights in with the boy..but some things, i wish i didn’t trade.

end of thoughts.

good reads:

busy next 4 days!

• bachelorette party in park city tonight
  • demolition derby in ogden tomorrow
  • register for wedding sunday
  • one of my bestie’s wedding monday

talk to ya when i find some time to post, enjoy your weekend!

1. think back 5 years ago. how are you different? how are you the same?

2. weekend plans?

xo. janetha b.

Susan May 22, 2010 at 7:02 am

Holymoly Cabo looks goooorgeous!!!! Sounds like the perfect honeymoon spot. I’ve been to Mexico before and I loved it. Okay, I loved the food ;)

I totally know what you’re talking about when you refer to a time when you didn’t care about food or drink. I used to be the same way. BUT, I did end up putting on weight, and the emotions that followed that were awful. I would never want to go through that again, and that’s why I don’t mind being a little more careful now. Of course, there’s always 4-5 times a year where I throw everything out the window and eat and drink like it’s my last day on earth. Um… like last weekend :P My body only just recovered from it, but it’s good for my mental health I think :)

1. Five years ago I was 19 and broke up with my highschool boyfriend I was living with. It was actually a fun time, I had a really good group of friends back then.

2. I’m off to my cottage in like 15 minutes. Had to stop in to “see ya!” Have a blast this weekend!! xoxo

inmytummy May 22, 2010 at 7:10 am

Sounds like a fun weekend! And your honeymoon will be awesome.

5 years ago, hmm. I was obsessed with what I was eating, to the point where people started worrying about me, and I drank too much. Suffice to say, I’m much happier now.

This weekend, I’m packing our house up. Ugh.

ellie May 22, 2010 at 7:49 am

Thanks for the shout-out ;)

It’s so strange to look back when so much has changed, but long for the carefree times… I definitely wish I could get back into the mindset I have had in the past when I have been more carefree around food and exercise- health and fitness is awesome, but I wish I didn’t care as much as I do.

5 years ago…2003. I was living in a long-term half-way house for people with eating disorders and pretty much in a similar place I am now except that I was dancing a few times a week (LOVED), and seeing friends a lot more. Yeah, I wish I could go back to then and see the program through instead of dropping out. But what’s done is done, right?

This weekend- gym, gym, hung out with my mom this afternoon…more gym.

imperfectlyperfect1 May 22, 2010 at 8:15 am

That’s so exciting about booking your honeymoon in Cabo!! It reminds me that I SO NEED a vacation!

The last sentence of your thoughts really hit me. I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I feel that I was better off not knowing as much as I do now with nutrition/fitness. Life seemed to be a little easier back then, but the important thing is that you are still happy and that you’re healthier.

Have a great weekend!

EM May 22, 2010 at 9:56 am

ahhh sooo jealous of your honeymoon! You are gonna have a great time and I can’t wait to hear all about your bachelorette party!

<3 Em

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 22, 2010 at 10:15 am

<3 Mabel (?Mable?) <3 Penny <3 You.

2006- I totally hear you- why do we get so hard on ourselves? I love how happy go lucky you were/are. I admire it- I've never been that way- I've learned to live more in recent years, but I'm harder on myself than ever. Sigh.

Thank you for the SmoothieDad love & link. He loved our "project" ;-) and particularly your part of it (wink wink wink).

Much love and thank you again for your thoughtfulness and the lovely bouquet- thanks to Marshall and Mama Bean too.

holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) May 22, 2010 at 10:56 am

i TOTALLY understand the whole living life, not worrying about food, etc. thing. i was that way about five years ago too, and even though i would not trade my new healthy habits for anything, there is something so freeing about not overthinking those things ya know? living. what a novel concept.

end of my thoughts.

yay for honeymoon! love ya janetha bean!

sophia May 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

I saw that on facebook!!! That you booked your honeymoon, I mean. I ‘m so excited for you, Janetha! I hope you blog, but of course would totally understand if you take a break. It’s you one and only moment after all! :-)

I was the complete opposite of you 5 years ago. I worried and obsessed too much about my eating and my exercise….which eventually led to an eating disorder. You’re probably a lot healthier than before, but also remember to live it up a little, and restore that same carefree happiness and confidence in yourself, Janetha…because you rock!

Mary (A Merry Life) May 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Hurray for the highlights!! :) Cabo looks amazing and it will be awesome for y’all.

1. Hmm, 5 years ago I was extremely different from now. Still in school and just starting to learn about being healthy. I’ve learned and changed a lot since then and I’m glad.

2. Work. And then on Sunday the Oregon Coast! Hurray Pacific Ocean! :)

Marie May 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm

You look SO gorgeous in all your pics! I loved the side-swept bangs in years past! Mine never stay to the side! :(

Hmm, five years ago, I had just been married for about a year and we both gained a lot of “honeymoon” weight. We weren’t eating healthy at all; a lot of processed foods, etc. Like you, though, I didn’t obsess over weight as much but I am glad I am healthier now but I wish I didn’t obsess so much now even though I weigh eight pounds less than I did at my wedding.

runnerforever May 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Cabo?! What a great choice!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices May 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm

LOVE your hair, LOVE the workouts, LOVE that you decided on your honeymoon- sounds fabulous & LOVE all of the pictures :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 22, 2010 at 5:42 pm

PS <3 Randy too. Didn't mean to forget him. :-)

Katie May 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm

5 years ago I was calorie obsessed and grumpy! Although I weigh more now, I feel healthier. I’m also now married to my best friend and I LOVE nights in with him, too. :-)

Yay for honeymoon plans!! I’m so excited for you.

Whole Body Love May 22, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Five years ago I was a freshman in college. I had just lost weight on weightwatchers but I was steadily packing it back on with almost nightly binges…a whole pack of oreos, a box of cereal, peanut butter and…anything :) I was doing 2 hours of cardio a day but that didn’t matter. I hated my body. I drank about every other night. Yikes!

Kailey (SnackFace) May 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Fluffernutters!!!!!! That’s my nickname for your pups. I love them so.

Shoot, five years ago I was 17. I was basically the same, but headed toward a very unhealthy period in my life, full of beating myself up and being incredibly controlling. And now? Happy, healthy and about to graduate college. UNREAL.

Loooove you, Janetha!! xoxo

Barbara May 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm

One thing that remains is that you look as young, GORGEOUS, and full of life NOW as you did then! I love your smile! I was wondering if Marshall ever worries that maybe you are over-doing it (care to much about calories, body image, how you look) etc? He seems to be a genuinely caring person- and I was wondering if he ever gets concerned? Have a great weekend, and if you need a ‘travel along nutrition/supplement consultant’ I will gladly make myself FREE to travel with you! I don’t take up much room, and I am quite a DELIGHT to be around ( or so I’d like to think….). lol

Whit May 24, 2010 at 6:29 am

‘my last name will soon be that of a mexican’ hahahahha I love you!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 28, 2010 at 5:43 am

My sister went to Cabo for her honeymoon last May and she had only been to the Mayan Riviera before in Mexico. I guess Cabo is quite different because it is really rocky and there are fewer beaches. But it will still be beautiful!
She stayed at the Riu Palace which is gorgeous.