guest post thursday! steph p.

by Janetha on May 13, 2010

in meals,moves

hey guys! i want to introduce today’s guest poster.. it is actually one of my “real life” friends! exciting :)  you may remember me talking about her and showing you her super cute kid, anakin. her name is steph and she writes a fun blog called “my adventure starts now”.

she will tell you a bit more about herself in her post but i wanted to say that steph is incredible.  we haven’t been friends for very long because we met through our boyfriends, but in the short while that i’ve gotten to know her, i have loved every last bit of her! she juggles a lot between work, school and being a momma, so i am definitely grateful she took the time to do a guest post!!  steph lives pretty far from me now, but when i move into my new house we will be a lot closer and so hopefully i will see more of her!

without further rambles~ here’s steph!

******************************************************************************

hello meals and movers! i’m steph! thanks to janetha for letting me be a part of her guest post thursdays!

blog2

i’ve been blogging for about a year now. i first blogged about my pregnancy and now i’m blogging about my baby, my life and my meals! janetha has been a huge inspiration to me. i’m on my 4th week of body for life and it’s going great! i’m sore every day but it seems like the food is getting better and better!

i live in roy, utah with my boyfriend alex. (alex and marshall are good friends and that is how i met janetha!) i am a mommy to anakin, who is 8 months old.

blog1

i work for a credit union and i process loans all day. i’m going to the university of utah working on my bachelor’s in accounting. i love being a mommy! i can’t wait to see what his favorite foods are.

blog3

my favorite foods are bbq (ribs, pulled pork) and thai/laos food (pho, springrolls, peanut sauce).

last night i made yellow curry for dinner. it was something quick and simple since i don’t have too much time to cook. it turned out great! i wish it had more curry broth. by the time it was done, there was no broth.

curry1
recipe:

• jar of yellow curry
  • broccoli
  • carrots
  • red potatoes (or any potatoes)
  • cubed chicken breast
  • brown rice

curry2

directions:

1. cube your chicken and cook in a large skillet.
  2. pour in the jar of yellow curry.
  3. cut your veggies into bite size pieces. put the carrots and potatoes in with the chicken and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. add the broccoli in last. let it cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. check your veggies to make sure it cooked all the way through. i don’t remember how long i had mine cooking for cause i had to watch anakin and he was crawling all over the house.
  5. serve over brown rice!

curry3

i really wish i could’ve eaten this with jasmine rice but the brown rice wasn’t too bad! if you like your curry to be more liquidy, add another jar.

my moves:

i usually do 20 minutes of cardio a day and at the end of my workout, i’ll do about 10-15 minutes of ab workouts.

• monday: chest and back
  • tuesday: biceps, triceps and shoulders
  • wednesday: leg day: leg press and squats
  • thursday: leg day: leg extensions, calf raises, leg curls
  • fridays: random day. whatever i feel like i didn’t work out good enough, i’ll do it on this day.

Q’s~

1. do you like curry? and which is your favorite? mine of course is yellow curry!

2. what is your favorite ab workout? i need some ideas!

xo. janetha b. & steph p.

actorsdiet May 13, 2010 at 6:54 pm

great guest post – what an adorable baby (love the HAPA’s!)

MAJL May 13, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Thank you for your post and sharing your yellow curry recipe. It is so impressive that you stay fit and healthy with the little one!

My favourite ab workouts are: I’ve got abs by Chalene Johnson and Ab Ripper X by Tony Horton even if both of them annoy the crap out of me.

I love curries; had some khao soi kai and nonya laksa the other day! Friday is papaya salad day :)

andrea May 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm

so I see that people say they are doing BFL but its not the BFL program that I read in Philips book…does it still work? I was under the impression that it had to be followed to the T?

Valerie May 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Your baby is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Not the biggest curry fan, but that meal looks yummy.

My fav abs moves are captain chair raises, v-ups, planks, pike crunch on the bench and jack knives.

Kerry May 13, 2010 at 11:06 pm

that curry looks so good! yum! good luck with body for life! xx

Jenn May 13, 2010 at 11:49 pm

ADORABLE baby!!!

Oh I love all colors and kinds of curry.

May I dare say it….but…kettlebells are great for abs. :D We also did these things in taekwondo that worked my abs but you need a partner. Lay on the floor with your shoulders facing your partners feet. Grasp their ankles. Your partner makes a “hoop” (circle) with their arms. Lift you feet up and put them through the foot. Back down to flat and then back up. Make sense? Or not! :-)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) May 14, 2010 at 2:47 am

omg that baby i just want to squeeze his cheeks! he is so cute!

great post!! love curry once in a while!!

favorite ab workout…currently doing INSANITY and ummm thats ALL abs without a single crunch, so currently this is my favorite ab workout!!

hayleycepeda May 14, 2010 at 4:14 am

Thanks for such a great post Steph! Your son is adorable and I love the name! That curry looks delicious! I can’t say I have a favorite, because I don’t have it very often but the yellow curry you made looks very yummy. What a nice, simple but tasty-looking meal!

I love doing ab exercises on the decline bench or stability ball passes (where you lie on your back holding onto a big ball and pass it from in between your feet to your hands and then back and forth). One ab exercise that ALWAYS makes me sore is when you get into a plank position on the stability ball (feet on the floor behind you, legs extended straight, forearms and hands on ball). From that position, slowly roll the stability ball away from you…not very far, but really tighten your abs to feel your core working. Then roll the ball back in towards you. It’s a killer!

Jill May 14, 2010 at 4:50 am

All curry is good to me :) Thanks for the recipe!

I don’t know the name of it, but my favorite ab workout right now is where you lie on your back, put your legs in an indian style position and do crunches. It’s killer. Try it!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 14, 2010 at 4:51 am

I love curry! The red lentil cauliflower curry from Veganomicon is the BEST vegan curry, hands down!!

xo
K

Teri [a foodie stays fit] May 14, 2010 at 5:35 am

I just recently got introduced to thai food and so far I haven’t had a curry I don’t like – I’ve tried yellow, green and red and was thinking when I ate at Cafe Trang in Utah last week that I need to find some recipes to make it at home. This looks delish!

I love straight leg lifts on the captain’s chair at the gym. And I love doing crunches on the bosu since it’s more stable than a ball but I can still get a decline extension.

Katrina May 14, 2010 at 6:53 am

Steph…first off….your little one is ABSOLUTELY adorable!!! I want to squish his precious little cheeks!! You’re pretty gorgeous yourself!! I am also considering getting a start on BFL (once I get all of my medical crap outta the way), and am pretty new to this new wonderful lifestyle (I’m about 4 months in now). I LOVE Curry!! Yellow is my favorite :) Oh and Pho…one of my most favorite meals EVER!

My favorite ab workout would be working my obliques on the slant bench with a 10-20lb weight, elbows to the sky twising back and forth. I’m pretty sure JB knows the technical term for this! LOL But oh man…it is AWESOME. I love the way it feels!

Loved the guest post!! My blog will be up and running by the end of this weekend. I hope to see some of you around! You’ll be able to find me at dontworrybehealthy.wordpress.com!!!

Have a happy Friday all!!

xoxoxoxox
Katrina

Annie May 14, 2010 at 8:09 am

Your son is adorable! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. I love most curries, but lean toward a redder curry usually. I’ll have to try a yellow!

Michelle May 14, 2010 at 10:34 am

I looove green curry! The sweeter the better, and i can’t go without those mini purple eggplants. :) YUM!!!

P.s. I’m giving away 2 jars of organic preserves and immediately thought of you and your love for topping oats with sugar free strawberry jam (i do too!!!)! I promise Food for Thought jams are waaaaaayyyy more awesome except their not sugar free! Does Strawberry basil preserves or blueberry merlot jam strike your fancy?

homecookedem May 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm

What an adorable baby!! :) This recipe looks awesome!!

traynharder23 May 14, 2010 at 1:34 pm

japanese curry. or my curry chicken breast. =D

favorite ab workout:
seth’s core blast- body weight one, and stability ball one.

steph p May 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm

thanks everyone for reading my guest post! and thanks for all your comments!

andrea: i’ve read the bfl book a couple of times. i do not follow it to the t. especially the workouts because i feel like i’m not getting a good enough workout following his way. so i usually do a little bit more than what the book says and it’s going really good for me. as far as the food, i’m trying not to be too strict on the food (if i have reg ketchup in the pantry, i’m not gonna go out and buy the reduced sugar ketchup).

i’ll have to try all of your ab workout ideas! thanks again everyone!