guest post thursday! coco q.

by Janetha on April 29, 2010

in meals

hello, friends! welcome to another installment of guest post thursday.. which is the day i take a break from blogging to get things done in my life. i am probably off meeting with the cake maker for the wedding or completing my scheduled upper body workout.

i just wanted to briefly say that i LOVED hearing about your goals and how you are doing with them. you are all so inspiring and keep me motivated, every day.

i am excited to introduce tonight’s poster~ it is someone i have actually had the chance to meet in person at the first annual foodbuzz festival.  coco.  she has actually been one of my long-time blog friends and you may remember me mentioning her in my last flashback friday post~ she was my fourth ever commenter!

coco’s blog is a fantastic balance of food, recipes and AWESOME advice. without further ado~ her she is!

***********************************************************************

Hi Meal & Moves readers, I’m so honored to do a second guest post in Janetha’s blog. She’s so fun and creative, reading her posts always bring me a smile or a big laugh! :)

I’m Coco @ Balance, Joy and Delicias. I write about food, thoughts and struggles of a graduate student, as well as TCM and trips! I just started a challenge a la Julie and Julia, making one recipe everyday from a cookbook, this time Toscano’s the clean eating cookbook.

But this post isn’t about food, I’d like to share with you what I’ve been learning during last few months about HAPPINESS: What should we do to be happy?

1. Be yourself. Know what you are and what you are not, your strength and your limitations. If you don’t have artistic spirit, then don’t force yourself to go to museums and be okay with that.

2. Act the way you want to feel. If you want to be close to someone, then be warm to him/her, be sincere, listen to him/her, give her/him big smiles, and feel closer to him/her.

3. Do what you are passionate about. Ideally your job and your passion are combined into one thing that you do everyday. If not, spent as much time as possible doing things that make you lose sense of time.

4. Find time for leisure. Schedule in your agenda a time for you, to do whatever you want to do, not what you need to do. It could be meeting with a friend, a walk by yourself or just few minutes to take a coffee and contemplate.

5. Identify your signature strength. These are strengths of character that a person self-consciously owns, celebrates. Try to use your strengths every day in the main realms of your life to bring gratification and happiness. For example, if you’re good communicating with people, try to find a job that needs you to be in contact with people. A research job maybe is not suitable for you. For hobbies, it is more probable that you enjoy a sport that requires a partner more than a single player one.

I hope you find these tips useful.

Wish everyone a Happy Life! :)

***************************************************************************

thanks for the awesome post, coco! you are full of wisdom.

see you guys tomorrow for flashback friday and i also will be introducing a new may challenge!

1. what brings you happiness?

2. what is your signature strength?

xo. janetha b. & coco q.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Janetha, enjoy your life babe! get things done when and how you can!

And to Coco, great job on the post…

Janetha the fact that you’re freaking out over $170 on a dress…girl. You dont wanna know what i was capable of pre-skylar. Insane. Amounts of money. All. The. Time. And god, it was so much fun :)

hundredtenpounds April 29, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Good question….what brings me happiness? Swimming, my kitties, my boyfriend, girl time with friends, massages…vacations…

carly April 29, 2010 at 8:08 pm

simplicity and love bring me happiness – and the two fit together well. my signature strength is being empathetic and relating to people even when they’re very different than me.

balancejoyanddelicias April 29, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Thanks sweetie for letting me do another guest post!!!! And I’m so honored to be your first-commenters!!! :D Love yah~~~

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 29, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Love the guest post! So true- if you not happy with yourself deep inside even if you are thin and in shape you won’t be satisfied and happy inlife

Diana April 30, 2010 at 1:48 am

Good guest post! :)
What brings me happiness.. My family, my friends, talking about new and awesome foods (ahah, really), having the motivation to exercise AND exercise, etc. :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) April 30, 2010 at 2:31 am

great post!! find your signiture strength! i love this one!! use your best qualities to help you and persue what you want to do!!

what brings me happiness is my family, friends, boyfriend, coffee, sweatpants, laying in bed on a rainy day, good food, exercise…simple things :)

Elina April 30, 2010 at 6:49 am

Great post, Coco. Striving for happiness is the biggest thing we can do. There are different roads to take but it’s a ride worth taking on :)

lisaou11 April 30, 2010 at 6:57 am

Nice Post Coco! Although those points are simple and obvious, it’s so easy to forget them ya know. I really like the act the way you want to feel post!

I’ve always liked this quote about happiness : The constant search for happiness is always the main source of unhappiness.

greensandjeans April 30, 2010 at 7:42 am

I think so many people focus on their weaknesses and what they CAN’T do, but man oh man, it’s so much better to focus on the good! The things that bring me happiness are lazy mornings, long steady runs, blasting the radio in my car, spending time with my fella, my family, and puppies (because who doesn’t love puppies?)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 30, 2010 at 10:50 am

Great post, Coco!

My signature strength is that I am a hard worker, and outgoing- so I am good working in teams, or alone!

And so many things make me happy. My family, my friends, my parents’ puppy, a great yoga session or intense run, buying new books and reading them for hours, my weekly latte and breakfast cookie at my favorite coffee shop, walks on the beach at night in the summer, heaping bowls of frozen yogurt, eating a great meal, and just enjoying the beauty of life!!

xo
K

mom April 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Great post Coco and what a timely reminder to us all to take time to be more positive, serve others and take time for “me”!!!

I also love all of the comments made, sometimes we are way too hard on ourselves and I notice that not very many of you dug deep and shared one of your strengths come on ladies, don’t be bashful—share your thoughts with the rest of us—I KNOW you have wonderful strengths and talents :) !!

My incredible family is what brings me the most happiness and without a healthy mind and body I wouldn’t be able to enjoy them, so I am grateful for Janetha and her motivation to help keep me healthy and happy!!

My best strength……….I have a huge dose of common sense, am considerate of others feelings and am willing to share all that I have (well that was more than one!!) xoxoxo.

Susan May 1, 2010 at 6:31 am

Loooooove this post!! I love how Coco can knock them off in a fancy list, while I’m here having just realized these things after 24 years :P Agree with every one of these and can attest to their success!!

1. Belly laughs. There is no better feeling in the world than having sore abs and wet cheeks from laughing your face off.

2. Listening. My whole life I’ve always been that person that other people confide in. I have no idea why, I guess I just bring that out in people! Actually, it was journalism that taught me how to use my listening skills best :)