l-i-v-i-n-g.

by Janetha on April 18, 2010

in meals,moves

i stole your post title, susan. well, i added the g.

wow. what a weekend! this has probably been one of the best weekends of 2010!  i say one of because i am afraid that the weekend i got engaged in jamaica is going to be a hard one to beat ;)

i guess there is no way around it, so i better tell you now. this post is going to be ridiculously long. grab a snack and a libation and let’s get started.

saturday. (aka the most active day of my life).

the morning of the 5k!  i woke up bright and early at 5:30 to get ready to head over to the bestie’s so we could get to the starting line on time.

i fueled myself with NO coffee (can you believe it? i didn’t have time) and a simple, quick breakfast: IMG_0129

plain chobani, a small banana & 1 cup kashi golean cereal. IMG_0130

i inhaled this in probably four minutes flat. it was delicious! it definitely would have been better with a little peanut butter mixed in, but i have recently read a lot of things about eating fat before a workout.

one such thing was something i saw in april’s issue of oxygen magazine where dr. susan kleiner (owner of high performance nutrition and author of power eating) said that you should actually avoid eating fats-even healthy fats-before a workout because fats are digested and absorbed very slowly compared to carbs and proteins, so your pre- and post-workout choices should be higher in carbs and protein but low in fat.

moving on!

we got to the gateway, which is an outdoor mall where the race began. it was bustling with lots of people, both racers and spectators. DSC_0256

we did some stretching and tried to wake up.  both kristen and i decided we are NOT morning runners.  she usually works out around 10 or 11 in the morning and i work out after work.. so a race at 7:30 is pretty dang early for the both of us!

DSC_0254

here we were pre-race, ready or not!

DSC_0263

there ended up being 1836  participants in the 5k, so we were waaaaay far back in the starting lineup!  it took four minutes and 32 seconds after the gun before we even started!

DSC_0286

can you spot us?

the run was fun. i was really worried because i have not run outside since last summer, and even then i usually stick to the treadmills. i know, how boring am i? i usually do 20 minute cardio intervals so that is just easier on the treadmill. but after yesterday, i am pondering running outside more often.

my only beef with the race is that the course was very narrow in several spots and there were SO many people, we spent a lot of time bobbing and weaving through people and i think we definitely would have been quicker if there was not so much navigating required!  on a particular part of the course, where we ran through twice (because we turned around and came back the way we came), it was more narrow than a one lane road.. and that had to accommodate both the runners going out and the ones coming back in. kinda ridiculous! come on, salt lake city. get with it.

here are a few photos of us as we came up on the finish line. action shots!

kristen:

DSC_0315DSC_0316

me:

DSC_0295DSC_0301

this photo below cracks me up because it looks like i am floating in the air!DSC_0297

i finished with a new personal best 5k time, so i was pretty stoked about that. DSC_0308

after the race, sweaty but smiling :) DSC_0321

my HRM stats said total time: 26:43, ave HR: 166, max HR: 184, calories burned: 236

wow.. my average HR was a lot higher than when i run on the treadmill. i need to get my butt in gear when it comes to workouts. i liked to see that average HR so high.

at the finish line they had the typical post-race fare: bananas, bread, cookies, creamies (these are chocolate popsicles), chocolate milk.. etc.  okay, i am going to say something here that might offend people but whatever.  i see this all the time.  people who were grabbing every single item offered and shoving it into their mouths, some people even eating a couple/few of every item.

people. you just ran a 5k. 3.1 miles. you did NOT just run a long enough distance to constitute inhaling 1000+ calories immediately after the race. ALSO, while i am on the topic.. running a 5k does not mean you need to do some “carb loading” the night before and eat 300 grams of carbohydrates.  i know it takes some energy to run a 5k.. but really?

there, i said it.

we did get a few of the free goodies.  i got a roll and a cookie that were supplied by paradise bakery~ but i only ate the cookie :D not because i was hungry (i actually was still full from my breakfast!) but because i LOVE paradise bakery’s cookies!

DSC_0334

isn’t kristen’s food setting on her new camera amazing??! soo jealous!

you may be wondering how i did on the race. or.. maybe you aren’t. you bet i am going to tell you either way.  here are the official stats:

• official time: 26:44 minutes
  • average pace: 8:36 min/mile
  • 209th out of 1836 total runners
  • 58th out of 1239 female runners
  • 11th out of 232 in my age bracket (ages 25-29)

pretty sweet! special thanks to kristen for asking me to join in on the race. after my 10k last summer i vowed to never race again, but i have definitely been re-inspired to run outside and hopefully do another race this summer.

after the race, kristen and i headed up to one of my favorite breakfast places in all of utah: ruth’s diner. IMG_0133

the BEST part about ruth’s is the buttermilk biscuits.. i could seriously eat ten of these and be a happy camper. IMG_0138

i ended up ordering the quiche of the day which was made with tomatoes, mushrooms & artichoke hearts, yum! IMG_0140

it came with fresh fruit on the side. IMG_0141

all together: IMG_0139

it always puzzles me when restaurants put the side of fruit over a leaf of lettuce. i just don’t get it.

i was still pretty full from breakfast and my cookie, so i could only conquer half of the quiche. plus i am never super hungry after i do cardio, for some reason. but i did drink copious amounts of coffee!

i spy kristen’s face in my java!

saturday afternoon i was just FULL of energy for some reason, despite my 5:30 AM wakeup call. i decided to head to the gym for my lower body workout that i was originally saving for sunday.

here is what i did:

• warmup 0.5 miles on treadmill @ 7.5 MPH

in between the first four of each the quads, hamstrings and calves sets, i did 30 seconds of heart rate-pumping exercises. i did:

• butt kicks between set 1 & 2

12 @
25#
30#
40#
50#
30#
bulgarian split squats 12 (each leg) @ 15# dumbbell (each hand)

HAMSTRINGS:

move reps weight
barbell squat 12 @
10 @
8 @
6 @
12 @
25#
30#
40#
50#
30#
bulgarian split squats 12 (each leg) @ 15# dumbbell (each hand)

CALVES:

move reps weight
barbell squat 12 @
10 @
8 @
6 @
12 @
25#
30#
40#
50#
30#
bulgarian split squats 12 (each leg) @ 15# dumbbell (each hand)

INNER/OUTER THIGHS:

i superset the following exercise:

move reps weight # of sets
hip abbductor machine 12 @ 70# 3
hip adductor machine 12 @ 70# 3

GLUTES:

move reps weight # of sets
kickback machine left leg 12 20# 3
kickback machine right leg 12 20# 3

i finished off the workout with some much needed stretching.

total time: 1 hour, max HR: 165, ave HR: 134, total calories burned: 404

i ran LOTS of errands saturday afternoon and i got to work in the kitchen, fixing a bunch of good things for a BBQ we were heading to saturday night.

when marshall got to my house, i took a time out from the kitchen shenanigans to take the dogs on a walk/run.  we ended up walking/running for two miles.. poor randy dog was SPENT by the time we got home!! IMG_0175 IMG_0177

hahaha.. haha.

so.. saturday included a 5k, an hour long lower body workout and a 2 mile walk/run. umm.. who was i yesterday?! that is so not normal! maybe i should start my mornings with an outdoor run more often. i was just FULL of energy!

for the BBQ i made:

• greek yogurt ranch dip (served with carrots & cucumbers)

• baked russet & sweet potato fries

IMG_0158IMG_0159

• milk chocolate chip cookies

we snacked on the chips and dips while waiting for everyone to arrive.

and i baked the fries: IMG_0196

we had burgers on the menu for grilling.  i purchased some premade patties from the store~ marshall’s was bacon and cheddar infused and mine was bleu cheese infused. i purchased heirloom tomatoes to top them with and fresh baked buns (whole wheat for me, onion for marshall) to put them between.

my plate: IMG_0205

burger, fries and a couple different salads thanks to kristen. everything was so, SO good.

IMG_0206IMG_0207IMG_0208IMG_0209

chomp.

how about a plethora of photos?!

IMG_0220IMG_0213IMG_0215IMG_0216 IMG_0218 except.. the jazz lost their first game of the playoffs :( sad utah fans.

WHEW.  it was a GREAT night. the BBQ was tons of fun and i ate lots of good food. i ended up so full.

i was going to blog last night but there were some internet/photo malfunctions~ plus i was BEAT.

sunday.

i started my sunday like any normal person.. with pancakes! IMG_0223

allie’s low carb pancakes, to be exact.  topped with chemicals in the form of sugar free syrup and ICBINB spray.  i also had the other half of my leftover quiche.

around 11 AM we headed up the canyon for the last day at brighton (which i talked about in my flashback post, in case you missed it)..

prepare to be bombarded with a slew of photos  from this afternoon. it was 70 degrees and sunny. and it was the best.

i spy KOMBUCHA!

JAZZ FANS

friends :)

on the mountain.. snowboarding.. and stuff. IMG_0254 IMG_0242 IMG_0244 IMG_0249

after a few runs we called it quits and had a BBQ in the parking lot.

well, i had a little something different on the menu…IMG_0259

i came prepared! chobani, justin’s peanut butter, a banana & kashi golean.

delicious.

and how could i resist some hummus + pita chips with this blonde bombshell modeling the snacks?!IMG_0260

parking lot shenanigans. ready, go!

IMG_0298 IMG_0271 IMG_0276 IMG_0281 IMG_0289IMG_0294 IMG_0285

see ya later, snowboarding season. (for the record.. that was only like 1/17th of the photos i took…)

after snowboarding i had dinner at my parents.. IMG_0301

baked chicken and organic brown rice, broccoli and salad. i also ate my weight in fresh fruit.

so did my mom. she took the whole bowl in the car with her when we went down to my new house. IMG_0315

this weekend was nothing short of amazing.

i love living.

see ya tomorrow! gotta go to bed! FYI: HUGE things in store for the blog this week ;)

1. are you a morning, afternoon or night workout person? i am a night (as in 5 or 6 PM) workout person. but i REALLY want to change my ways and be a morning runner! i had tons of energy from the run on saturday!

2. what was awesome about your weekend?

xo.  janetha b.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 19, 2010 at 11:17 am

Great race, and congrats on the P.R.!

Thank you for saying exactly what I ALWAYS think after a 5k. When I am heading over to the orange box for 2 or 3 orange wedges, I see people downing entire bagels and handfuls of cookies- after running less than 5 miles! Come on, people…

What a fun bbq- that food looks great!!

I used to be SUCH a morning runner… now I can not run in the morning for the life of me! Except on Sundays. Sundays I do a 10-11am run and I am good. But usally I have slept in until 9 before!! haha. So now I’m more of a 3-5pm runner.

My weekend was AWESOME as well! I hung out with a friend and some of her friends on Saturday, and Sunday I went to Whole Foods and saw a concert! Epic.

xo
K

lowandbhold April 19, 2010 at 11:45 am

I totally agree with you about the carbo-loading and post race eating. The worst is the donuts that they have at races around here. Donuts?! Running is a healthy lifestyle thang. The only thing worse would be handing out Big Macs and Fries. I even feel it’s kind of unnecessary to carbo-load for my half this weekend, especially because I already eat lots ‘o carbs like it’s my job :)

And congrats on your awesome, speedy race! You rock!

1. Since I HAVE to work, I prefer to work out afterwards. But if I didn’t work, I’d prefer to run at around 7:30 a.m. and do other workouts at around 10 a.m. It’s nice to have it out of the way and benefit of the energy boost throughout the day.
2. My weekend was awesome because I got to sleep past 8 a.m. both days and got to have a delicious dinner with my Mom and granparents last night.

april April 19, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Wow you had a really busy weekend!! Congrats on the race! I’ve never ran 3 miles in my life! LOL

And I definitely agree with you on the carb-loading.. not necessary unless your really going to do a tough workout!

Ildie April 19, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I usually work out after work because it’s the only time I can. I usually get to the gym between 5:20 – 5:40. I WISH I could go in the morning. On Saturdays I go in the AM and just like you, I’m bursting with energy all day. It’s also my best workout of the week. Without a doubt!

I finally got to relax this weekend. Yes, that is my sad highlight. I don’t even care though. I needed a mental health weekend! :)

Your’s looked amazing though!!

Tina April 19, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Congrats on the race and doing so well! I don’t ever run outside either and really think I would enjoy it. It is hard not to try to pick it up right now with having to watch the intensity of my workouts. :(

I agree about the eating so much after a 5K. That is completely understandable for things like half or full marathons or other long distances, but not for a 30 min run. Reminds me of how I can’t stand people who workout 30 min/day so they can “eat whatever they want”.

Love all of the snowboarding pictures. It’s weird to see all that snow and then people in tees and tanks, though. LOL

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 19, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Congrats on the race, girl! That’s an awesome time!! Sucks how the course was narrow, but sounds like an awesome time nonetheless. I would have loved to be at that bbq! Everything you made looks insanely delicious!
And your snowboarding pictures=look like they came out of a movie. Love that.
I’m a morning worker-outter. I wake up at 4:45 and either run outside, get on the elliptical in the casa, or head to the gym. I looove working out pre work MUCH more than post work.

Tamizn April 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Well done on you race! Looks like you had a fab weekend, highlights for me were mini cakes and my dads birthday. I like to work in the morning best but I’ll do it anytime to fit it in! x x

Melissa @HealthyBites&Bits April 19, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Congrats on your 5k, that is super exciting!! All your eats looked so good!!

Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful April 19, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Awww that looks like you had such a great weekend. Congrats on your 5K!!!! I love when you can ski/snowboard in short sleeves-it’s the best!

Detective Lara April 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Way to go on your 5K PR! Love those action shots toward the end! You’re greased lightnin’!

Agreed on unnecessary carb loading for a 5k. However, I proudly admit to carb loading for my 10k. And well, perhaps unnecessarily at other times in my life ;)

We had burgers last night, too! Your fresh buns look a lot better than mine though. Don’t mean that to sound a creepy old guy. You know what I mean.

Allie April 19, 2010 at 2:17 pm

1. I’m a non-workout person lately but I’m trying to get some motivation to go to the gym (obviously not trying hard enough, haha). Wish I still had my membership at gold’s so I could have you whip me into shape! Can you at least give me some of your motivation please?

2. Awesomest (yes it is a word, i just made it one) part of my weekend was snowboarding/basking/parking lot bbq with my LB! : )

Allie April 19, 2010 at 2:18 pm

p.s. I love all the pics, I’ll try to post mine tonight!

BroccoliHut April 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I know what you mean about the post-race eats at 5Ks. I’ve run in a few where there was pizza, chicken biscuits, and hot wings. I usually just grab an orange and peace out.
I am a TOTAL morning workout person. It puts a kink in my day if I don’t get my early morning run in.

Taysa (Water, Butter and Wine) April 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Congrats on the 5k. Honestly, I will be happy if I make it across the finish line under 40 minutes next weekend. 26 minutes is so fantastic!

I’m definately a night person. I feel like I have more energy, even after a full day of work, then I do first thing in the morning.

Danica April 19, 2010 at 3:31 pm

You did AWESOME in the 5K – so proud!!! Yeah for a new PR and running outside totally works your body more than the treadmill because you do all the work. I LOVE the huge #’s they gave you all :)

I can actually SEE Randy’s exhaustion LOL – poor pup!

MMMM. I wanna BBQ with you all – everything looks so delicious!

I LOVE all the snowboarding pics and the fact that your mom cooked for you – I totally want someone to cook for me once a week too :D LOL

Yeah – can’t wait to see your blog excitement this week. I LOVE Earth week!

kbwood April 19, 2010 at 3:45 pm

GIRL.. YOU FREAKING ROCKKKKKK!
for real. can i live with you and marshall? want to adopt me??
bahaha
GREAT JOB WITH YOUR RUN! you beasted! you look sooo good!
and GREAT meal after- i love quiche!! and i TOTALLY feel you with the food thing after the race-after my 10k people were eating like a muffin, doughnut, bagel, and banana ALL at one time.. like really?!
LOVE YOU TONS!! I NEED A GRILLED BURGER ASAP!

Katey April 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Hey what kind of HR monitor do you have? yours looks cute and dainty! LOL.. I love your eats!!! I agree with Katie.. can we all live together and be one happy family?

homecookedem April 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Congrats on the strong run!!!!! You look amazing in all of the pictures!! Love the one of you flying!! ;)

All of those eats looks incredible!! Especially the sunflower seed hummus, yummmmm!!

I always workout after work when I get home around 4:30ish. But I do enjoy working out a little while after breakfast on Saturday mornings. I used to do the first thing in the morning thing but that is so hard for me. I need fuel!!

homecookedem April 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm

P.S. I love Randy! ;)

mom April 19, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Way to go! Totally proud of you and Kristen on your awesome race!! Only in Utah, running races, snowboarding in tank tops and then warm sunny walks and bbq!!

Thanks too for not calling me out as a total loser because I wasn’t there to cheer you on – yes I am feeling guilty……:) boy am i a loser…..

I am so NOT a morning person but love it when I do have to get up because I get SO much done, just like your Saturday. But I love to stay up late and sleep and sleep and sleep!! I’ve probablyl wasted a good 5 or 10 years just sleeping in, what a shame!! haha.

Spending week end time with friends and playing golf with dad and having family over for dinner and yep I agree with Kristen SUNSHINE!!!! xoxo

Whole Body Love April 19, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I like to workout in the morning so that I can def get it in. Not too early though. I will have to workout at 5AM everyday starting next week bc my schedule will be PACKED ! I have learned to prioritize with school, parenting, working out and staying employed lol. AND it irritates the hell out of me when people run a short race or workout for an hour and think they are entitled to their weight in carbs. I’m sure that I just offended people. But, honesty is valuable , kids.

julie April 19, 2010 at 7:15 pm

love. this. weekend. love it.

working out in the morning is seriously the most amaze-a-balls feeling in the world! i actually can’t wait to get up and sweat tomorrow haha. and then how special do i feel that deej just invited me to go with her to the boardwalk to walk! wah-hoo!

haha your mom is adorbs with that fruit bowl!

simplyshaka April 19, 2010 at 7:27 pm

AWESOME JOB ON THE RUN!! Woo Hoo!

And I want to go to Ruth’s, it sounds like a cool place. And I am going to say this now, I had to stop reading after that because this post was food porn-licious and I am about to tear into something as is. But I am sure it was a great post :)

Jessica (jesslikesithot) April 20, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Hells to the yea! Congrats on the 5k Janetha!!!!!!! I would totally celebrate such a fab weekend day with good food and good company after that race…not in a carbo load the night before, and after type of way though–don’t yell at me!! ;)

Do you hate me for not commenting enough?? Know that I am always reading and always loving–expect more of me come summer, hopefully!

Your snowboarding pics w/ friends = adorb. I love your group of friends–they seem like such cool, genuine, fun people!

And uh pleaseee gimme some of ‘dat pb-filled yog mess, home-made fries, (veg. for me!) burger + bun dinna and those pancakes. MMM!!!! Love you!